• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 Stetson

Started by VU2624, October 08, 2016, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Stetson close win over Davidson coming from well behind yet today beat Ivy League Brown up in Rhode Island.

talksalot

Check out the Stetson Facebook page for updates.  They don't have power on campus, lots of damage in the area, some on campus.

VU2624

This week for Stetson was fall break from Thurs through Sunday. Classes have been cancelled until next Monday Oct 17th.

The Football field Stetson uses is a facility owned by the City of Deland. No idea if there is any damage to the facility but, as mentioned above, power restoration is ongoing.

usc4valpo

Who is starting at QB this weekend for Valpo?

footballgods

Seawald, Stokes, then Duncan

covufan

Going with an upset.

Valpo   26
Stetson 24

footballgods

footballgods

Seawald is a pocket passer then Stokes, but don't know about his shoulder, Duncan is fast very fast! we will see what coach has up his sleeve!
Go Valpo!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Valpo wins this game by 8 if Seewald starts and has a full week of practice. Stetson sucks, this should be a win if the coaching staff does the right thing.

VU2624

Stetson has a pretty good team. They played Sacred Heart a lot closer than most PFL teams would and they just beat an Ivy League team. They have the best player in the league by a substantial margin. The weather could be a major factor as it should be in the mid to high 80's and much more humid than the Valpo players have been practicing in.

I felt much better about the Drake game than this game.

usc4valpo

If Clarke actually out? If so, why was he listed as the "OR" starter in the game notes?

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 15, 2016, 08:47:33 AM
If Clarke actually out? If so, why was he listed as the "OR" starter in the game notes?

I have learned not to put much credence in the 2-deep chart. Also agree that Stetson is better than last year and has a tough defense. They went nose to nose with SHU and kept the score in the teens. Then they shut out Brown for, I believe, three quarters while their offense ran up 31 points to win 31-21 -- and that was on the road too.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 15, 2016, 03:25:19 PM
WE WIN!!!!   :thewave: :cheers: :clap: :clap: :dance:

By that much.

Could that Stetson missed FG been any closer?

VULB#62

Announcers said we stole this game.  We certainly were not at our offensive best and Stetson tried very hard to help our D out with drops. But.............

.............. Valpo is WAY PAST DUE on catching breaks that our opponents usually wind up getting.  I'll take this one without a single qualm.

Deets

I was thinking it was more like we won IN SPITE  OF the refs' best efforts to have it otherwise the entire second half.  Another thing I am noticing is something that we DON'T do this year: we don't meltdown every time we have a mistake or a bad break.  That is hopefully due to the maturity of the youngsters that played a lot last year.  We are due a lucky break or two, so let's take it and run with it.  The bell is getting a little workout this year!

VU2624

Just a heads up to those who may not consider it. I wouldn't post any information you may get regarding whether a player is going to play or not going to play, is injured or anything else not directly addressed by the coaches. Dave doesn't generally talk about guys who are going to play or not (and specifically avoided answering Clarke's status in the preview) and I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled to find out that a player or players was providing information which ends up on a message board which can be read by, not only fans of Valpo, but fans, players and coaches of the opponent.

Posters on this board include the Athletic Director, at least a couple of writers for Valpo and a commentator. There likely are ValpoFB coaches checking it out as well and it's fairly apparent where this info came from at least in terms of posting it on the board.

VU2624

The depth chart can mean very little. Guys who start are listed with the 2's. Guys who aren't on the depth chart at all play more than guys listed on the depth chart and guys listed on the depth chart aren't even in the same city as the team.

This was a game of who wanted it the least. Stetson kept trying to give it away and Valpo kept letting them have another shot. Valpo's WRs continued a trend from last week by dropping too many balls which need to be caught. I think the RB depth chart needs to be adjusted. Frankly, the last few weeks, the offense has looked pretty bad. Too many drops, no inside running game, patterns too long to sustain anything.

The defense....what can I say. Very good effort. The INTs were game saving and spectacular in two cases. Some tackling issues remained from last week.

....and we're on to San Diego.

VU2624

Quote from: bbtds on October 15, 2016, 03:29:46 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 15, 2016, 03:25:19 PMWE WIN!!!!   :thewave: :cheers: :clap: :clap: :dance:
By that much. .... Could that Stetson missed FG been any closer?

Was it that close? I thought it short off his foot and was 3-5 yards short upon landing. Or was this in reference to the one that hit the crossbar? An inch further and it spins over the bar.

I thought Stetson did Valpo a favor going for the FG at the end. Stetson's kicker had a tough day. A block, a missed PAT, a 45 yarder just short. Plus a heavy ball on a wet day. Even a 4th and 10 I thought might be a better bet than a 47 yarder.

VULB#62

Can anyone remember a game where we were ahead at the end of Q3 by less than a TD and held that score through an entire quarter for a win?  I surely can't.  It's just nice to see the following record with 3 games left:  3-4, 2-2.

I don't think that we have much of a chance v. USD but who knows. I do think at a win over Butler is a possibility and JU is an unknown at this point. Like 2014, there are two losses that could have been wins right now. Imagine if we had beaten Morehead and Drake (which we were in a position to do) ...........  Ah, but that is water under the bridge. 

BTW, I liked the heavy formation inside the 5 with the QB under center, two TEs, and two big backs. 

usc4valpo

This game was a decent building block as this football team continues to improve. The Crusaders found a way to win despite not playing an "A" game, they never fall apart. This may be a significant win for the football program.

vu72

I think many of you, particularly younger folks who never played on grass (I never played on turf!) don't understand what the conditions were like out there.  Coach C said the first time they had practiced on grass was in the pregame warm up.  It had been raining hard before the game which had another game played on it the day before.  Then, during the game the rain is coming in sideways.  It was a brutal place to play. The fact that we didn't fumble was outstanding and the few drops were a result of a greased pig being launched at them with a lot of velocity.  They dropped far more then us.

I agree that their FG attempt was ill-advised given the conditions.