• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #9 Butler for the Helmet

Started by VULB#62, October 22, 2016, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

USD is water under the bridge. Lets all just leave it behind us. Butler is beatable and we have the Helmet plus Brown Field on our side. Let's do this.

VU2624

Anyone catch the ending of the Campbell/Stetson game on the ESPN highlights? Blocked FG with lateral to Donald Payne for the win at Campbell.

I'm with VULB62. This was a loss no matter what (USD that is). Big question is who is the QB and the health of a couple of key players.

vu72

If we beat Butler, as always, it will be a successful season. Former players--send words of encouragement to the team!!  :thumbsup:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Please, for the love of God Coach C.... start Seewald!

VULB#62

Seewald did have a good TIU game (PFL POW) on the turf of Brown Field. But TIU is not Butler. Some of the coaching QB decision is how we match up as a team against them. Both QBs have different strengths, so the QB with the highest "strength rating" specifically against Butler will get the nod.

On another tack that should be considered. We have a large QB class. From the tape I've seen of all of them, there is some talent there. Part of a coach's strategy is to determine if a red shirt move might make Valpo better long-term. Seewald appears to be at the head of the class. But, bottom line is that maybe one of the freshmen who is not seeing any action is doing so by design -- not quite good enough right now, but possessing potential for a year or two from now.  We as fans pretty much only look at today or maybe the day after. The coach has to look at this season and the next. Just sayin..............

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 23, 2016, 06:04:22 PMSeewald did have a good TIU game (PFL POW) on the turf of Brown Field. But TIU is not Butler. Some of the coaching QB decision is how we match up as a team against them. Both QBs have different strengths, so the QB with the highest "strength rating" specifically against Butler will get the nod. On another tack that should be considered. We have a large QB class. From the tape I've seen of all of them, there is some talent there. Part of a coach's strategy is to determine if a red shirt move might make Valpo better long-term. Seewald appears to be at the head of the class. But, bottom line is that maybe one of the freshmen who is not seeing any action is doing so by design -- not quite good enough right now, but possessing potential for a year or two from now.  We as fans pretty much only look at today or maybe the day after. The coach has to look at this season and the next. Just sayin..............

Agreed. Barring some injury issues I'd be really surprised to see any of the other freshman get any time this season. I do expect them to compete seriously for the job next year and don't think any of this year's active QB's is any lock to be the starter or even active next season.

Coach mentioned Clarke has a hand issue and Stokes has been given limited time to this point. So, if Seewald went down in a close game, I'm not sure who's coming in at this point. Are the other QBs getting any reps at all with the first team? We don't know.

usc4valpo

So from what I have seen , Clarke should not be the starter. Sorry, the top players should play. This has gone on for too long.

VULB#62

Against BU it might be Seewald. Stay tuned.

usc4valpo

In Division I non-scholarship football, and specifically at Valpo where tuition is up near the $45K range, how many players really want to redshirt and stay 5 years, knowing that, scholarship cash or no scholarship cash, they will have a huge debt to pay?

My concern is that some of the talented freshmen may go if not given a deservedly so chance. This is not Ohio State or Alabama where you can redshirt many freshmen and not worry about funding.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 23, 2016, 09:42:38 PM
In Division I non-scholarship football, and specifically at Valpo where tuition is up near the $45K range, how many players really want to redshirt and stay 5 years, knowing that, scholarship cash or no scholarship cash, they will have a huge debt to pay?

My concern is that some of the talented freshmen may go if not given a deservedly so chance. This is not Ohio State or Alabama where you can redshirt many freshmen and not worry about funding.

Without athletic scholarship $$$ this is, indeed, a valid concern in the coach/player red shirt decision dynamic.

valpo64

Has anyone seen an early line on the game?  My guess is that it would be expected to be a close game.

footballgods

No...

Did you guys watch the last part of the Saturdays game.. did you see the hit on the QB seewald, he looked like a bit shaky getting up afterwards, I hope he is ok.

covufan

Quote from: valpo64 on October 24, 2016, 10:51:33 AM
Has anyone seen an early line on the game?  My guess is that it would be expected to be a close game.
Massey has Butler by 4, Sagarin has Butler by 2.3.  Yes it should be a close game.

Valpo   27
Butler  24

footballgods

did u see DC interview, today. it looks like Both QBs- Clark and Seewald have something going on ... lets see if Stokes or if they move up another QB up  for this game.. You are correct about the QBs that the other Freshman will not hold out much, and they have a few good ones, I think the kid from Cali had almost 3 stars, but did notice he brought that kid to FL... So we don't know what is up DC sleeve

VU2624

Wishing, even if it is subliminally, injury on players in order to get the "kid from Calif." some PT is a reflection on the poster. It is not a good reflection particularly when it is pretty clear who it is. Coaches, Athletic Director's, reporters, faculty all have access to this board and post from time to time.

footballgods

Or Florida kid, or the Kid from  Illinois's they should all have a shot!! but we will see what the future will bring.   They have access I am sure anyone can read theses darn boards. But I am sure that the Coaches don't care about these post.  Lol.... :thumbsup:

VU2624

In addition to the fact that Dave wasn't at all specific about injuries, and rarely is unless it is something definitive such as Catrine's early season injury, it appears you may be misreading a bit too much into his comments but we will see.

Hoping Chris Duncan gets some playing time because a player may have been injured (or not) really reflects on you and it is clear what your agenda is on this board.

footballgods

I don't care one bit about Chris Duncan - it may seem like it ,  or others we need to get some mobile QBs is there that is the wave of the future...

VU2624

Valpo has announced that this week's game is dedicated to Ken Biel and finding a cure for brain cancer.

VU2624

Quote from: footballgods on October 24, 2016, 04:45:44 PMI don't care one bit about Chris Duncan - it may seem like it ,  or others we need to get some mobile QBs is there that is the wave of the future...

;D ;D Nice try.

VU2624

In the moral victories dept, Valpo was able to put up the most passing yards San Diego has given up all year last week and hopefully that can continue this week vs. Butler no matter who the QB is.

usc4valpo

Butler sucks this year and the Crusader can win, if ...

bbtds

I think the bottom of the PFL has moved up on both Valpo and Butler. But if there is one team that has made no improvement it is the Bulldogs.

I'll be there Saturday but just in and out of campus for the game before heading to Chicago.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on October 27, 2016, 06:06:50 AM
I think the bottom of the PFL has moved up on both Valpo and Butler. But if there is one team that has made no improvement it is the Bulldogs.

I'll be there Saturday but just in and out of campus for the game before heading to Chicago.

Things go in cycles.  Could it be that these two teams are slowly exchanging traditional places in the standings with Valpo improving while Butler seems to be regressing?  It wasn't long ago that Butler was the PFL co-champ in 2012.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2016, 08:01:33 AM
Quote from: bbtds on October 27, 2016, 06:06:50 AM

Things go in cycles.  Could it be that these two teams are slowly exchanging traditional places in the standings with Valpo improving while Butler seems to be regressing?  It wasn't long ago that Butler was the PFL co-champ in 2012.

What I would say is that Valpo is not progressing as fast as Campbell or Stetson but if you are just comparing Butler and Valpo they are currently on about the same level with Butler staying in place and Valpo looks to move above them next season. The Crusaders should be able to beat the Bulldogs this game. And in my world that is vitally important!  ;)