• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #9 Butler for the Helmet

Started by VULB#62, October 22, 2016, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on October 27, 2016, 08:21:32 AM
The Crusaders should be able to beat the Bulldogs this game. And in my world that is vitally important;)

My world as well!  :thumbsup:

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2016, 09:15:59 AM
Quote from: bbtds on October 27, 2016, 08:21:32 AM
The Crusaders should be able to beat the Bulldogs this game. And in my world that is vitally important;)

My world as well!  :thumbsup:

All alumni feel that beating Butler makes the season a big success. Nothing else will do!  GO VALPO BEAT BUTLER!!!  :thewave:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

are the game notes incorrect again?

VU2624

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2016, 04:18:23 PM
are the game notes incorrect again?

Do you mean this:  Seewald Starting Strong: Valpo freshman quarterback Jimmy Seewald has enjoyed a prosperous start to his collegiate career. He ranks second in the PFL in pass efficiency, behind only San Diego's Anthony Lawrence and Jacksonville's Rylan Wells. Seewald has a pass ef ciency of 126.1 in seven games. Despite making only two starts, Seewald is one of six quarterbacks in the league with 10 TD passes this season.

The 2-Deep is pretty consistent with previous 2-Deeps and I'm sure that's by design.  One thing is important to observe:  The 2-Deep shows that, unlike last year, our starters are lasting through the season -- fewer major, emphasis on major, injuries.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2016, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2016, 04:18:23 PMare the game notes incorrect again?
Do you mean this:  Seewald Starting Strong: Valpo freshman quarterback Jimmy Seewald has enjoyed a prosperous start to his collegiate career. He ranks second in the PFL in pass efficiency, behind only San Diego's Anthony Lawrence and Jacksonville's Rylan Wells. Seewald has a pass ef ciency of 126.1 in seven games. Despite making only two starts, Seewald is one of six quarterbacks in the league with 10 TD passes this season.

I think this would mean Seewald is third in the PFL unless my math is off. Doesn't change the fact that he's played well.

QuoteThe 2-Deep is pretty consistent with previous 2-Deeps and I'm sure that's by design.  One thing is important to observe:  The 2-Deep shows that, unlike last year, our starters are lasting through the season -- fewer major, emphasis on major, injuries.

Good points on the consistency of it and it has it limited uses.

usc4valpo

So, assuming that, it is obvious that the Clarke is at QB

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 27, 2016, 10:25:11 PMSo, assuming that, it is obvious that the Clarke is at QB

Depth chart says Clarke OR Seewald which is exactly what Dave said after the game last week and in the preview this week.

usc4valpo

Gameday baby!! at beautiful Brown Field.

This is a must win game and Butler really sucks this year.

Prediction: Seewald steps in a QB in the second quarter, Valpo comes back to win 34-31 in a thriller. Seewald becomes Pioneer POW, and Clarke starts at QB next week.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2016, 08:47:55 AM
Gameday baby!! at beautiful Brown Field.

This is a must win game and Butler really sucks this year.

Prediction: Seewald steps in a QB in the second quarter, Valpo comes back to win 34-31 in a thriller. Seewald becomes Pioneer POW, and Clarke starts at QB next week.

I have a good feeling today!
Butler's season has been highlighted by bad starts and second half comebacks usually falling short. Hopefully we jump on them early!

bbtds

I'll be late to the game it seems. Maybe I'll only see Seewald at QB.

Nah!

:-)

vu72

A little windy perhaps but with 75 forecast and zero rain you really can't ask for better weather this time of year in Valpo!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Coach Miran apparently enamored with the bubble screen today which has resulted in a stunning no yards and a TD for the opposition and is there anyone on the roster or perhaps in the stands that can hit a wide open receiver for a first down. That absolutely kills this offense.

They must be importing a field 35 yards wider for the Butler offense with the space they have on every play.

VU2624

Yeah coach Dave....coach moore did a great job coaching his defense in only allowing 275 on the ground and not being able to contain virtually anything on the outside. Coach Miran continued to coach his offense to 2 TDs per game which isn't going to beat anyone. That's all the QBs, or the backs, or the receivers or whoever else you want to blame.

You want to lose the respect of the team, then remove the coaches from the blame equation. How about holding everyone accountable publicly including yourself and the rest of the staff.

usc4valpo

Not a great day and the score did not indicate how bad the outcome was. Seawald is still learning, not mobile at all but has a gun for an arm. Running game was inept. Ryan Moore was brutal. Also, the defense could not get off the field.

So, after all this, Valpo is still in the bottom third of the Pioneer conference. It is a young team, but next year, they need to get over the hump and be at least 5-6. If not, we need to access this.

vu72

Clearly Butler was the better team and showed it.  In spite of that, with out the goofy interception on the first or second play, and two missed extra points by us, the score could have been much closer.  I gave up with about 4 minutes to go so perhaps Butler also called off the dogs.

Here is the reality and I agree next year will be a bench mark. Coach C has had 2 1/4 recruiting years.  Butler had 10 senior starters and 10 junior starters.They started  senior at quarterback, we started a freshman.  We had 1 senior and 9 junior starters.

Here is another reality.  They have had the same head coach for 11 years.  He has a total of 13 years as a head coach.  Our Coach? 3 years.  Systems count.  We have had a revolving door of coaches.  This is our third head coach while their guy has been in place.  I really like Coach C.  I do think he is the guy to turn this around but it is going to take another year or two.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2016, 05:28:49 PMNot a great day and the score did not indicate how bad the outcome was. Seawald is still learning, not mobile at all but has a gun for an arm. Running game was inept. Ryan Shea was brutal. Also, the defense could not get off the field. So, after all this, Valpo is still in the bottom third of the Pioneer conference. It is a young team, but next year, they need to get over the hump and be at least 5-6. If not, we need to access this.

Seewald was all over the place most of the game. He had one stretch where he made a couple of nice throws but other than that he didn't play well at all. I don't get any of the WRs were brutal. One drop the entire game and that didn't stop any drives. edit: check that...I forgot about Ryan Moore. He dropped the pick 6. He was out of the game shortly after.

Defense couldn't stop anyone and the offense couldn't move the ball because of both interior lines.

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on October 29, 2016, 06:17:54 PMClearly Butler was the better team and showed it.  In spite of that, with out the goofy interception on the first or second play, and two missed extra points by us, the score could have been much closer.  I gave up with about 4 minutes to go so perhaps Butler also called off the dogs. Here is the reality and I agree next year will be a bench mark. Coach C has had 2 1/4 recruiting years.  Butler had 10 senior starters and 10 junior starters.They started  senior at quarterback, we started a freshman.  We had 1 senior and 9 junior starters. Here is another reality.  They have had the same head coach for 11 years.  He has a total of 13 years as a head coach.  Our Coach? 3 years.  Systems count.  We have had a revolving door of coaches.  This is our third head coach while their guy has been in place.  I really like Coach C.  I do think he is the guy to turn this around but it is going to take another year or two.

There's a positive spin on things.

usc4valpo

I like Coach C too. I just hope this young talent matures and stays.

VU2624

One comment on the play which went for a pick 6, which is what I think uscvalpo was referring to as brutal.

Coach called out Ryan Moore last week after the game in his post game comments for the player coming off the field because of injury too often, I guess, in his mind. That in itself shouldn't be done. No reason at all that message should be a public admonition. Do it in private if you have to and that's also a subject which will rile up a lot of people around the team.

Today during the early part of the game Moore was targeted a number of times including the pick 6 play. Part of the mess on that play was the block which wasn't made and the defender was able to get right to Moore as he was trying to catch it. That block has to be made and the defender was blocked right into Moore as he was trying to catch it. Moore also dropped another later in the 1st quarter after watching my scrape of the game a second time. Is it possible that the player was playing through a shoulder injury which caused a few problems on the field because the coach called him out? Maybe.

I can see an argument that the team is moving forward a bit but I also think that the staff needs to be held as publicly accountable as the players have been by the head coach and it hasn't been. This was an issue last year big time and has resurfaced. Too much of a pass by some.

usc4valpo

I would say it is gradually moving forward, but I am getting tired of hearing about how they need to learn from these experiences. There has been a lot of learning for awhile for Valpo football.

chef

I think it's very refreshing to have a head coach that's very candid. That being said, Dave didn't call out Ryan Moore for being injured. He was simply stating it's unfortunate that he's been unable to stay on the field because he's one of the team's top receivers. Additionally for anyone to think Valpo would play an injured player, that's just not the case. I've seen numerous examples in recent years where a player has wanted to play, but was not cleared by the training staff.

VU2624

Quote from: chef on October 29, 2016, 11:58:08 PMThat being said, Dave didn't call out Ryan Moore for being injured. He was simply stating it's unfortunate that he's been unable to stay on the field because he's one of the team's top receivers.

That is absolutely not how he worded it. He clearly was implying he was nicked up too much.

QuoteAdditionally for anyone to think Valpo would play an injured player, that's just not the case. I've seen numerous examples in recent years where a player has wanted to play, but was not cleared by the training staff.

I don't think that but what I do know is when a receiver has an upper body issue with his hands, arms shoulders, etc. he can be medically cleared but have a tough time doing everything he needs to to play the game effectively.

QuoteI think it's very refreshing to have a head coach that's very candid.

If the HC is not going to include himself and his staff in his criticisms of the team including praising a defensive coach for not being able to stop two plays all game to the tune 275 yards on the ground then either the coach is inept or isn't really being candid.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2016, 10:12:01 PMI would say it is gradually moving forward, but I am getting tired of hearing about how they need to learn from these experiences. There has been a lot of learning for awhile for Valpo football.

The team is closer to being winless in PFL play then moving up in PFL play.