• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - @ Dayton

Started by VULB#62, November 01, 2016, 05:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

No one has started this so I will.  I though for sure we would go nose to nose with Butler and pull out a win, but, alas, it was not to be.

Last Saturday while we were enduring the Helmet loss, Drake was beating Stetson by only a 21-10 margin.  That means we might be competitive.... or not. 

usc4valpo

This one will be ugly - Dayton takes football more seriously than Valpo, and the Flyers know how to recruit out of Chitown.

Dayton 42
Valpo 16

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 01, 2016, 07:36:50 PM
This one will be ugly - Dayton takes football more seriously than Valpo, and the Flyers know how to recruit out of Chitown.

Dayton 42
Valpo 16

Which most likely means Valpo loses by 3

Valpo 32
Dayton 35

A missed extra point and 2 missed two point conversions.

covufan

Will be a tough game.

Valpo  13
Dayton  31

VU2624

Dayton, in league play, is second in the league in both rushing offense and rushing defense. They have the worst passing offense (or at least they are ranked last) and teams have had some success throwing the ball against them. That could be because teams are coming from behind on them in every game but San Diego.

I'll be shocked if the Crusaders can run the ball to any great degree. We don't know who the QB will be and whoever it is will likely be under duress a good part of the game. I don't see the offense doing much and Valpo's run defense has been spotty at times. Not good when the last two games are against the two leading rushing teams in the league.

31-9 (10 if Simpson is back or a kicker is brought in who doesn't hit the longsnapper in the helmet as was done twice last week).

usc4valpo

By the alrighty Sagarin ratings, the crusader are 29 point dogs

footballgods

that seems about right 29 point , but I hope not!

usc4valpo

Wow, not much interest for this game. Perhaps many are recovering from their Cubs WS hangover or still binging away!

VU2624

It's possible Catrine didn't go outside enough on his route, but why would the design of a play have the QB throw back across his body? Isn't that one of the first rules of QB play in a "don't do this" sense.

Nice 2nd drive for the tie. Also nice to have Simpson back.

...and after a really BAD pick at the goal line, Valpo throws in the towel.

Meanwhile, the team that ran all over Valpo last week is down 34-0 to Morehead State.

Seewald in concussion protocol. Clarke will QB.

usc4valpo

Valpo is struggling today. Seewald is making freshman mistakes. Clarke is still Clarke.

vu72

Was just listening to the Dayton commentators, one of whom said "...in watching the Valpo offense, the receivers are getting open but they just aren't getting  them the ball.  Seewald seemed a little better but Clarke needs to get the ball lower..."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

21 points is pretty good against Dayton. Only SD and MSU scored more vs Dayton in league play. Take away a pathetic pick at the goal line and maybe it's more of a game. That's coulda shoulda.

I'd like to see Boxrucker get more carries other than goal line situations. Petrie looked pretty good as well.

Couldn't somebody slip the Dayton announcers a note mentioning Seewald was in concussion protocol so they could stop talking about Clarke being in the game.

Dave just mentioned that Clarke was hurt as well at the end and that's why they didn't onside at the end. No QB. So we'll see what happens this week.

vu72

I missed most of the game but did like what I saw from the fourth quarter.  Nice bounce in the step in spite of being down a bunch.  Two good drives.  Where has Petrie been hiding?  Did we have some injuries at running back as well??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on November 05, 2016, 02:57:19 PMI missed most of the game but did like what I saw from the fourth quarter.  Nice bounce in the step in spite of being down a bunch.  Two good drives.  Where has Petrie been hiding?  Did we have some injuries at running back as well??

Dave mentioned that Jarrett was out with a concussion issue. Played Cartales, Petrie and Boxrucker.

Dave mentioned having a couple of other QBs sitting on campus who may be called to duty next week.

usc4valpo

Guys, cmon. The last 2 TDs was when Dayton had their second string in. Valpo was scoring during garbage time. It was 38-7 at theend of the third quarter and Dayton showed class by playing subs in a plentiful manner.

Dayton has more seniors compared to Valpo. Again next year will be a true indicator to evaluate where this football program is going.

laura

Correct...It was senior day and the coaches emptied the bench. This game was over much earlier.