• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - Jacksonville

Started by VULB#62, November 05, 2016, 07:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Just have enough time to set up a place holder.

Jacksonville lost to Drake 31-27.  From the Drake Site:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Drake University overcame a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit to beat Jacksonville University, 31-27, on Saturday at D.B. Milne Field in Jacksonville, Fla.

After Conley Wilkins gave the Bulldogs their first lead of the game on a 19-yard touchdown run, 17-13, the Dolphins answered with back-to-back scoring drives to claim a 27-17 lead with just under seven minutes to play.

Grant Kraemer orchestrated a seven-play 73-yard touchdown drive, capped off by a touchdown pass to Eric Saubert, his second of the game, to put the Bulldogs within three, 27-24. The touchdown was set up by a 29-yard reception by Grant Menard, who ended up with a career-high 142 yards receiving, which put the Bulldogs on JU's three-yard line. 

Drake's defense then came up with a huge three-and-out to give the offense the ball back with 2:21 left to play.

Head coach Rick Fox told the offense before the game-winning drive, "This is backyard ball. Let's go out and have some fun and make some plays."

On fourth-and-16, Kraemer delivered a 26-yard strike to sophomore Steven Doran, getting the Bulldogs down to Jacksonville's 30-yard line.

Two plays later, Kraemer found Doran again, this time for the go-ahead touchdown, 31-27, with 16 seconds left to play.

Kraemer finished his day completing 15-of-29 passes for 208 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions. Wilkins ended his day with a game-high 195 rushing yards and also recorded a 35-yard pass.

VU2624

Do we root for really cold weather to make the Dolphins uncomfortable? Even Valpo hasn't had much in the way of coolness this season to this point.

usc4valpo

I am wondering - why does Valpo play only 11 games? I can't believe this is the last game of the season. I think they played 12 games for a few seasons.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 06, 2016, 07:27:12 PMI am wondering - why does Valpo play only 11 games? I can't believe this is the last game of the season. I think they played 12 games for a few seasons.

Our bye is at the end of the year.

Crusaders have played 12 games in 2014 and 2003.

usc4valpo

ending the season on Nov. 12 seems a bit early.

Sagarin has Valpo as a 7 point dog at home.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 06, 2016, 09:16:34 PMending the season on Nov. 12 seems a bit early. Sagarin has Valpo as a 7 point dog at home.

Week earlier than the teams that don't have a bye in the last week of PFL action.

covufan

We end the season with a win!

Valpo      31
Jax         30

usc4valpo

Jax 34, Valpo 17 - and Jax will win without Blake Bortles

ml2

FCS rules only allow for a 12th game when there are enough weekends between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, which is actually not most years. All FCS teams from North Dakota State on down are playing 11 regular season games this year (and most years). You can read more about it in this article, including info about some efforts to change the rules to allow for 12 games every year.

http://www.houmatoday.com/opinion/20160614/fcs-programs-want-a-12th-game

usc4valpo

footballgods

Last game of the season, it is a toss up.. I hope Valpo can pull it together and win. 

VULB#62

Word of warning:  JU has switched from your standard college spread offense under their previous coach to a version of the flex-bone triple option offense.  It is run and option oriented with passing that evolves off the run.  For background, one of the best practitioners of the offense is Navy who, despite having less talent, skill and size, has beaten Notre Dame a couple of times (this season included).  We saw a little of that vs. Trinity International earlier in the season and when it is run well it gives defenses all kinds of problems.  Let's hope the D is prepped and ready to defend JU.

VULB#62

Not that it has anything to do with the Valpo-JU matchup, but the game notes give us some things to be a little bit more upbeat about for the whole season compared to last season.

The 2016 season marks a significant improvement for Valpo in multiple statistical areas.

>>  The Crusaders are averaging 21.1 points per game after scoring 15.9 a year ago.

>>  They are allowing 32.7, improved from 43.2 in 2015.

>>  With one game remaining, they have already racked up more  first downs, rushing yards and passing yards than they did last season.

>>  Drew Snouffer has more total tackles (92) than any other PFL player and ranks fourth in tackles per game (9.2).

>>  Valparaiso is in position to lead the Pioneer Football League in fewest penalty yards per game at 42.0. They have been called for just 43  flags in 10 games. Valpo is tied for eighth in the Division-I FCS nation in fewest penalties, tied for fourth in fewest penalties per game and 10th in fewest penalty yards per game. Valpo also led the PFL in fewest penalties in Cecchini's  first season in 2014, a far cry from 2013, when they ranked eighth.

Last week's loss to Dayton was the closest Valpo-Dayton matchup since Valpo's most recent victory over the Flyers in 2003.

Valpo's three rushing touchdowns last week were the most permitted by Dayton this season.

Turning a loss as lopsided as last year's to Jacksonville (58-13) into a win the following season would not be unprecedented for the Crusaders. Valpo lost to Butler 72-12 in 2013 and beat the Bulldogs 17-3 in 2014.

Idode Kerobo, Brett Fox and Charlie Hackett are the only seniors who will play in their  final game in a Valpo uniform on Saturday. The Crusaders do have 11 other players (10 redshirt juniors and medical redshirted senior J.J. Nunes) with one season of eligibility remaining who will be faced with the decision of whether or not to return.

My final comment along these lines regarding the season at this point with one game remaining:  This is Dave Cecchini's 3rd season.  We unexpectedly witnessed a surprisingly good first season.  It was followed by an overall poor showing, in comparison, with a team that was mainly freshmen and sophomores.  This season has produced some marked improvement (see above) and, of course, some glaring deficiencies at times. I look back at the first 3 years of the previous regime, and the trend I remember (and I could be off base here) was a continual spiral from the beginning of going from bad to worse to even more worse (worser?). Losing programs have two things they must confront:  (1) The need to find, recruit and sign increasingly better talent, in the face of a losing record, to raise the overall talent level of the program, and (2) they must fight back against the psychology of losing -- by that I mean, staying positive in the face of mounting loses. Despite some criticism that has emerged recently, I think that the program has made strides in #1 and I also think that they have also made some strides forward in #2.  Could they have done better in either or both of those categories?  Of course, #2 being tougher than #1 IMO.  But the main thing is that we haven't seen that downward spiral and that is a positive.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 09, 2016, 08:28:58 PMWord of warning:  JU has switched from your standard college spread offense under their previous coach to a version of the flex-bone triple option offense.  It is run and option oriented with passing that evolves off the run.  For background, one of the best practitioners of the offense is Navy who, despite having less talent, skill and size, has beaten Notre Dame a couple of times (this season included).  We saw a little of that vs. Trinity International earlier in the season and when it is run well it gives defenses all kinds of problems.  Let's hope the D is prepped and ready to defend JU.

Same offense Georgia Tech uses without Paul Johnson calling it. I think Air Force is still using it as well.

usc4valpo

62 - I agree they have progressed, although I wish the results were a little better. Cecchini is 7-25 overall, which is better than Carlson but certainly not a state where we can say success. The Crusader are still in the bottom 1 to 2 percents in the Sagarin ratings - not good. Next year at least 5 wins should be expected.

vu72

What a wild game, right up to the final second!!  Fantastic win versus a pretty solid Jacksonville team who nearly beat Drake.  Clearly, with the vast majority of the team back, we are moving in the right direction.  Congrats to the seniors, the team and the coaches!!   :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

How about that as Mel Allen might say.