• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo - Franklin (9/3)

Started by covufan, August 31, 2011, 05:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

First game of the year.  Franklin comes into Valpo for a night game at Brown Field. 

Massey Ratings has it 39-21, with Franklin coming out on top.  http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=107811&t=8361

I'm hoping that the new recruits and the second year with Coach Carlson give us a closer game:

VU - 24
Franklin  - 30

Maybe, with some luck, we can return a fumble or interception for a TD and come out on top!

Crusader65

Tough thing about these rating schemes is that, early on, there isn't enough information about the changes with the teams.  Franklin has been performing really well these past few years in their Division 3 bracket and is aiming at national goals.  Last years team was their best so far but they lost almost 20 from the team with 17 being major contributors (QB included).

I believe this will be in our favor because as our young ones will be up against a less experienced team than last year.  More to the level ours are at right now at least game experience wise.  We need to control the ball and no turnovers.  I hope the athleticism we read about in our recruits is greater (as it should be D-1AA) than theirs.  I see a great crowd under the lights.  Valpo 28 - Franklin 17.  (Watch out for Gabe Ali El freshman RB)

ValpoBy7

milanmiracle

Well, let's see here...last year they lost 42-7, so we'll say Franklin regressed some due to graduation losses and Valpo improved some due to a second year in Coach Carlson's "system". I'll go with Franklin 35-13, which believe it or not is a pretty big improvement compared to last year. Losing by 22 is certainly better than losing by 5 touchdowns. Let's start there...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

sectionee

49-19 Franklin....I really hope Valpo proves me wrong.  See you there

historyman

I think milanmiracle and sectionee are more accurate. If Valpo even comes as close as 18 points that would be an upset. If Valpo were to win this game over Division 3 National contender Franklin that would be the upset of the year. Most Valpo fans are looking for an improvement over last year's 5 touchdown loss. A 2 or 3 touchdown loss would be a nice improvement.

covufan

Here is the press guide/game notes for the Franklin game:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/football/2011-12/pdfs/FB%20Notes-week%201.pdf

For starters on offense we have 5 seniors, 4 juniors, and 2 RS Freshman.  For starters on defense we have 4 seniors, 3 juniors and 4 sophomores.  In the 2-deep depth charts we have 7 freshman (either RS or true) on offense and 5 freshman (RS or true) on defense.  Will be interesting to follow through the season to see if some of these freshman begin to move up the depth chart.

Scrub

I think this will be another lose, Franklin 35-10.  I expect to see improvement on the field but not enough to pull out a victory.  I'll be surprised if we win more than one game this year.  We are basically starting the same people from last year and hoping that they are stronger and understand the system to improve, the incoming more athletic freshman will need time to adjust to the college game. I think we are a year away!

valpofan56

vu72

Quote from: valpofan56 on September 02, 2011, 12:18:50 PM
55-3 Franklin

I hope you were joking or at least totally uninformed.  Valpo has 28 points and its still the first half.   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on September 03, 2011, 08:06:33 PM
Quote from: valpofan56 on September 02, 2011, 12:18:50 PM
55-3 Franklin

I hope you were joking or at least totally uninformed.  Valpo has 28 points and its still the first half.   :o

wow - throw the drake game out, and that's a good chunk of their points from last season. what's the score?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader65

Great start but need to finish and stop the long pass plays - take away the 65 and 59 touchdown passes by Franklin and Valpo is controlling the game.  Go Valpo!  Offense can score!!

agibson

Anyone have streaming audio or video working?

Seems like there should be audio, at least, but I'm having some trouble...

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on September 03, 2011, 08:50:45 PM
Anyone have streaming audio or video working?

Seems like there should be audio, at least, but I'm having some trouble...

works for me. linked through the athletics page.

agibson

Ah, there it is.  Was the feed down for half time?

With the storms coming through this afternoon, I wasn't sure if they'd get the game in.
But, 28-28 at the half... not bad!  Even if they had to blow a lead to get there....

And... Interception! 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on September 03, 2011, 08:55:47 PM
Ah, there it is.  Was the feed down for half time?

With the storms coming through this afternoon, I wasn't sure if they'd get the game in.
But, 28-28 at the half... not bad!  Even if they had to blow a lead to get there....

And... Interception! 

did you jinx it? lol. shortly after i read this the first time, i lost it again...

agibson

I lost it once since acquiring it.  But, was able to get it right back.

If only we could say the same for Valpo.

agibson

Hmm... stream not coming back this time.  But, the game was about over.

vuweathernerd

49-35 franklin. well, we kept it close, and showed some flashes of brilliance. but the scoring breakdown from first half to second is a little worrisome. i'm a little more confident that we may be able to win a couple games this year after this showing.

milanmiracle

Franklin 49 Valpo 35. Well, that wasn't too bad. Unfortunately I couldn't attend, but I did follow on gametracker. I don't agree with moral victories, but in this case I might make an exception. 35 points is a marked improvement from last year and might I add the first positive thing I've seen since Coach Carlson took over. If they can continue to put up 35 points a game, they'll at least be able to stick around in some games even if they don't win any. You have to start somewhere and scoring 35 is something even if it's against a DIII school.

As for the defense...there is no defense. Anybody who actuallly went to the game care to speculate how Franklin managed 49 points and 669 yards of total offense? That will make it tough to actually win games rather than just play in them.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Crusader65

Coach was right after the game in saying the team still has to learn how to finish the game.  So much of the yardage by Franklin came on very close plays that required sustained effort to over come the mistakes in performance at the point of attack.  The offense lost it's focus and began worrying about holding on rather than taking the game away.

I'm pleased that the young men saw some potential in their effort - but potential is a polite way of saying not good enough yet.  They can be much better and will be if they concentrate on being positive and support each other as some of the young number 2's and 3's now become 1's raising the level of effort and talent.  Go Crusaders!

blackpantheruwm

From everything I hear, you guys have got a QB to hang your hat on.

Push the defense to get better - no sacks, and you let them control the ball in the fourth quarter - but be honest with yourselves, this was a good start for a winless team last season.

Keep your heads up! I'll be following from afar in Milwaukee.

Go VU!

ValpoBy7

The defense never blitzed. No safety walk-ups from the bind side. Needed to rush a Joker and a loop blitz from the DE weakside to be more effective. The roll-outs by the Franklin QB keep us playing base most if not the whole way. Shotgun with roll outs were the keys to keeping the Franklin QB untouchable. Look for more blitzes during conference play as we would not show our hand so early. The defense will get better, and we must get to the QB. I sense more edge pressure will come. We played one freshman DE # 45 (45 to 50 snaps) splitting time with #42 Captain Grant Bushong. There were 97 snaps by Franklin, and those two had 6 solos and 2 assists combined. Playing that freshman half the game, and sharing the playing time with Bushong will help Grant be more explosive later in the season. The sacks will come especially with rotating series. All DL positions split playing time the whole game. We continue to do that, and things will get better as for TFL.