• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to Buy Porter Hospital: News Conference Monday

Started by valpopal, September 09, 2011, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

You guys are getting cynical in your older years   :lol:

crusaderjoe

Quote from: historyman on September 22, 2012, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 22, 2012 at 07:16:22 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The problem with the latter is exemplified by FITT.  We don't have a great history there. 

I hope the track is recreation so that it will finally get done soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a comical but sad statement about the values held by Valpo towards athletics in the hodge podge efforts of the past few decades. It's certainly has been no "Field of Dreams" approach at all.

+1M.  Placing intramurals and varsity athletic teams on the same level and within the same capital campaign was moronic and absurd, and because FITT remains in place, such thinking continues to be moronic and absurd.  The rolling out of FITT was D-III level thinking.  I'll tell you one thing--I'm probably the minority on this board, but as it relates to athletic support (donations, traveling to games, having an interest in athletics in general etc.) this is the last chance I am giving to VU as an alum, fan and former athlete.  If VU again rolls out the same old tired ancillary crap that it historically has offered its athletic programs by way of facility updates or upgrades, athletically I will never donate either time or money to Valparaiso University again.  It will have taken me four capital campaigns, but I will have gotten the joke.

rford2009

You can find the Executive Summary (which includes a map) and a Map by itself at this link:

Just giving the ending because it won't let me post an external link:  .edu/masterplan/

vu72

I was just going to post the same site.  It is a very detailed and interesting proposal.  It appears from the language that the decision has been made to redo the ARC rather than to build a new facility.  This follows what President Heckler has said previously, which is that once the fieldhouse is complete and many coaches etc can be relocated, then the ARC will be gutted and reconfigured.  Lots of work...lots of money.  Keep those contributuions coming!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

rford, it should let you post links now that you have hit the coveted 5-post mark, but just the same for all:

http://valpo.edu/masterplan/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Actually I downloaded the map from the link.  But it's different from the one supplied to me by media relations.  The map from the link does not show that Laporte stops at Roosevelt and that new space is dedicated to athletic fields.  I wish I could upload the one I received but it was 12 MB and even as a PNG it was over the attachment limit.

72, where'd you get all that info.  I clicked all over the linked site and just got high level pablum.

One other positive comment.  One thing stuck out to me from the map and the 3-D besides the clustering of building to make the core campus closely knit:  the construction of four ponds on campus. That, to me, is a beautiful touch.  Really hope they do it.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 25, 2012, 09:30:11 PM
Actually I downloaded the map from the link.  But it's different from the one supplied to me by media relations.  The map from the link does not show that Laporte stops at Roosevelt and that new space is dedicated to athletic fields.  I wish I could upload the one I received but it was 12 MB and even as a PNG it was over the attachment limit.

72, where'd you get all that info.  I clicked all over the linked site and just got high level pablum.

One other positive comment.  One thing stuck out to me from the map and the 3-D besides the clustering of building to make the core campus closely knit:  the construction of four ponds on campus. That, to me, is a beautiful touch.  Really hope they do it.
You could upload the map to Google Drive (or Google Docs or whatever they are calling it today) then share the link with the rest of us.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Not sure what info you mean.  Just click on the master plan site, posted above by LaPorteAvenueApostle and you can view the athletic area envisioned.

Here's part of the language:

The master plan envisions a wholesale
reevaluation of the campus's athletics and
recreation facilities. The purchase of the Porter
Hospital site provides a unique opportunity to
consolidate, expand, and improve the existing
athletics and recreational facilities anchored by
the Athletics-Recreation Center.
The severe crowding in the AthleticsRecreation Center will be alleviated with a
new field house.
All Eastgate facilities will
be relocated to the northwest athletics and
recreation complex.
The facilities on the former hospital site will be
connected to the existing softball field, tennis
courts, and Union parking ramp through the
Athlete's Walk, a wide pedestrian path that will
celebrate Crusader accomplishments on the
field.
The game day experience for the campus
visitor will be improved. Plenty of parking will
be available, with convenient access to both
the Lincolnway and Union parking ramps.
Entry and gateway plazas will host game day
celebrations. All competition fields and courts
will be within easy walking distance.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo04

Quote from: FWalum on September 26, 2012, 12:33:50 AM

You could upload the map to Google Drive (or Google Docs or whatever they are calling it today) then share the link with the rest of us.

Or get an account at tinypic.com, imgur.com or some other hosting site and then post it here. 

historyman

A quick question for anyone who might know. I didn't see through the maps and drawings that the Chapel of the Resurrection had any additions to it. Will the Chapel addition not show at all on the outside of the building? Also will there no longer be any car access to the Chapel to allow for drive by views and drop off of the disabled at the Chapel door?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo04

Quote from: historyman on September 26, 2012, 07:41:23 AM
Also will there no longer be any car access to the Chapel to allow for drive by views and drop off of the disabled at the Chapel door?

From the "Executive Summary" pdf:

Parking and front-door drop-off will still be  available at major community destinations such as the Harre Union, Christopher Center, Chapel of the Resurrection, and Center for the Arts. A new parking ramp north of the Union will provide convenient parking for regular campus users and occasional visitors

valpo64

Very exciting and impressive long-range plan.......should make for an even better looking, beautiful campus...now let's get started on the ARC project!!!!!

okinawatyphoon

It's taken me a while to post, but I absolutely love the master plan. I'm especially thrilled with the idea of more trees, better sidewalks/landscaping, and dorms that don't look like they're from the Soviet Union. The parking garage connected to the union is absolute genius as well.....get rid of the massive parking lots around campus!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

govalpogo

Quote from: historyman on September 26, 2012, 07:41:23 AM
A quick question for anyone who might know. I didn't see through the maps and drawings that the Chapel of the Resurrection had any additions to it. Will the Chapel addition not show at all on the outside of the building?

The last time I talked to Pr. Jim (June?), he and others were looking over various proposed additions.  There are several different options, but the basic idea is an expanding of the under croft area for more office/meeting space as well as adding an elevator so that non-stair-savvy  worshipers no longer need to go to the union or Library to use the restrooms.  Most plans include expanding the under croft out under resurrection meadow.  It would be more visible than the plan seems to indicate, however it is not supposed to have a major impact on the overall facade of the building because of the liturgical meaning behind the original architectural design. There has also been talk of adding major landscaping to the labyrinth to make it a little less out in the open.  Not sure why it's not included in the graphics, but unless restoration was more expensive than they thought, the Chapel staff is moving forward on expanding. 

VULB#62

THIS POST IS TIED TO A WH POST ON "Which Schools should the HL invite....pick 3"

From WH:  I came across this article from 2010 about the amazing growth Belmont has experienced in enrollment and revenues.  They are a university definitely on the rise.

Belmont ready to unveil visionary plan
Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 10:45pm
By William Williams

In 2000, Belmont University enrolled a modest 2,970 students, had assets of about $120 million, was affiliated with the Tennessee Baptist Convention and fielded a men's basketball team virtually unknown beyond Nashville.

Ten years later, and guided by an extensive planning document called Vision 2010, Belmont has become a vastly different place. Enrollment has risen to roughly 5,420, an 82 percent jump. The university's assets stand at about $350 million, with its operating budget having grown from about $48 million to $130 million.

Of course there's more and well worth reading.

Nice digging WH - enjoyed reading it. Their move to the OVC is right in line with what they're doing in other areas.  The theme I got out of this article is that they adopted an  "if you build it, they will come" attitude.  That aggressive approach (only a 10 year window) paid off.  They didn't over-do the construction but were aggressive about it.  I liked the thought that "Development drives interest, which often translates into added enrollment and recognition."

I often wonder how some of these schools do it.   ???    Take Presbyterian College.  They are D-1, Big South (D-IAA in FB). This is today's Big South website headline: Stony Brook Defeats Army, 23-3; Presbyterian Wins 28-13 at Davidson.  PC is located in Clinton, SC (not a Nashville, by any stretch).  They have 1300 students, an endowment of $62 million, scholarship all their athletic programs, have a beautiful 6,500 seat stadium with 2 story press box (top level is the President's suite).  See the screen shot attached.  In 2006 they committed to D-I and have been competitive athletically ever since.  They too exhibited a decisiveness and aggressive approach to growth and development despite their small size.

VULB#62

The Torch has an article on the Open Space concepts of the new Master Plan.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_eb1863fa-0f0f-11e2-8164-001a4bcf6878.html

This one has a rendering of the space between the chapel and the union.  The article goes into rationale and detail.  There seems to be a bunch of these supporting renderings that have yet to be released.  I'm hoping that there will be a series of these more focused revelations with one specifically for athletics. 

VULB#62

Re:  VU Athletic Facilities and the Master Plan:

FROM THE NWI TIMES COVERAGE OF THE HL MEDIA DAY: 

Quotable: "Kids like facilities, it's the reality. (The renovated Gentile Center) gives us an advantage. We have something to sell." -- Loyola coach Porter Moser

This goes for football too!  Right now we have little to sell.

VULB#62

From the VU Torch  10/12/12

Getting from one place to another with ease is an important goal of a college campus design

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_e1807f10-14a2-11e2-9bef-001a4bcf6878.html

Some Highlights:

One of the goals of the Master Plan is to unify the east and west campus," said Dean of the College of Nursing and co-chair of the Master Plan Task Force Janet Brown. "The concept is to create a pedestrian campus."

VU President Mark Heckler wants to discourage driving on campus because it is better for people to walk and creates a friendlier campus. The Master Plan should facilitate this goal.

"Athlete's Walk is really a very cool concept," Brown said.  The vision for Athlete's Walk is to have "very formal" pavers, benches and decorations to commemorate athletic achievements. Athlete's Walk will also help students and visitors access the athletic centers more easily.

valporun

I agree with the thoughts about less driving around campus. Consider how much gas is per gallon, how much the residential students make to pay for school, books, frat/sorority fees, activity fees, and other fun stuff, and how small campus really is. The commuters have more need to drive to campus, but even they don't need to drive everywhere around campus just because they have their car readily available. I spent 5 years at VU as an undergrad, and I never had a car. I never minded the walks around all parts of campus. It gave me time to think, appreciate, and enjoy the blessings of life, fresh air, sounds of birds and falling tree limbs, and all those little things that today's society has let be a problem. I can't wait to see campus again with the master plan in full use, and seeing other alums and the current students enjoying the investment in campus look and life at games, concerts, Chapel services, and the things we enjoyed about Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle

Totally agree. My undergrad replaced the road through campus with a pedestrian walkway and it completely transformed the entire campus experience.

I used to joke that VU students would drive from the library to the chapel.  Taking out part of that "chapel drive" was the first step...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

78crusader

In last week's Torch article, President Heckler says VU has three times the parking that similar schools have.  We need to get rid of that vast parking lot between where Huegli was and McIntyre.  It is an eyesore.  Getting rid of the lot just west of Guild Memorial would be good, too. 

Paul

VULB#62

I like that the Torch has dug deeper into the plan and published articles directed each at it's many facets.  78, there will be a large parking structure between the union and where Scheele now stands -- the lot you refer to will be replaced by academic buildings and walk ways.

Ralph

Quite interesting.  The new map looks like the Sigma Tau Gamma frat house @ 801 Union Street will kind of be the Gateway for all this.  Probably make that land worth 3x its current value!

VULB#62

Quote from: Ralph on October 15, 2012, 04:49:19 PM
Quite interesting.  The new map looks like the Sigma Tau Gamma frat house @ 801 Union Street will kind of be the Gateway for all this.  Probably make that land worth 3x its current value!

In my mind I always thought McIntyre would be the ideal location for a Greek Row.  Inthe plan, property on McIntyre will be used to develop the athletes walk.  It's my understanding that the university is buying up other properties there too.  Is that true?  It's kind of ideally positioned with respect to other university housing around the core and is a nice long street.  By creating a Greek ("Street/Way/Path/Road/whatever") it removes that street as a barrier between places on campus.  But they didn't ask me to be on the committee so this is just a "t'would be nice" thought.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 15, 2012, 06:08:23 PM
Quote from: Ralph on October 15, 2012, 04:49:19 PM

In my mind I always thought McIntyre would be the ideal location for a Greek Row.  Inthe plan, property on McIntyre will be used to develop the athletes walk.  It's my understanding that the university is buying up other properties there too.  Is that true?  It's kind of ideally positioned with respect to other university housing around the core and is a nice long street.  By creating a Greek ("Street/Way/Path/Road/whatever") it removes that street as a barrier between places on campus.  But they didn't ask me to be on the committee so this is just a "t'would be nice" thought.

I'm quite sure the plan calls for McIntyre to remain residential (non-Valpo) as the students seems to like it there.  There will be a walk through are though.  Speaking of walking, I doubt the vast majority of people on this board will understand what "walking" was like back in the day.  Mu freshman year I lived at Werenberg and had a class at "Foundry Annex" which was about two or three blocks west of the current law school.  Almost all classes were on old campus yet all the dorms are where they are now!  Now, that's "walking"!