• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2020

Started by VU2014, October 26, 2017, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

How are Davis' handles? At that size he'd probably need to play PG at this level. Do you think he could develop into a quality distributor as well as being a scorer?

M

That was between his 8th grade and Freshmen year. Totally different.  The elite camp is invite only for high school kids.

M

I haven't met anyone who could stay in front of him...that camp he was at he was making VU guys jump and going by. Lol, though one of those guys was Chandler Livingston so maybe that doesn't count for as much 😂

VUGrad1314

I hope we get Davis. He's fast he can score and he wants to win and possesses the ability to lead a team. That checks pretty much all of my boxes.

bbtds

Quote from: M on February 03, 2019, 08:33:15 AM
That was between his 8th grade and Freshmen year. Totally different.  The elite camp is invite only for high school kids.

I didn't mean to say Davis was at a VU elite camp.

Quote from: bbtds on February 03, 2019, 01:12:24 AMAccording to this Times story from almost a year ago Davis has already been at one of Valpo's camps.

M

I understood ya, just clarifying which camp it was. Anybody could put their kid in that particular camp. It's for like ages 8-14.

M

Valpo not mentioned (in the title at least, I'm about to read it), but here's another great region player. https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-boys-basketball-notes-st-0208-story.html

VU2014

One of Valpo's top 2020 recruiting targets will be playing for Meanstreets AAU this summer. (Same AAU program as Javon). He'll get maximum exposure with that AAU team. He's not flying under the radar. Well known Illinois prospect.

https://twitter.com/riv_isaiah/status/1100892881903120385?s=21

valpo64

At this point,  the first thing we need to look at with any future recruit is,  "Can he shoot and be a scorer?"

VU2014

I'm wondering how 2 straight rough seasons in a row will affect recruiting. We need to hit on this 2020 class! I don't think it will be a problem if it includes a high ceiling transfer or two but they need to hit on the 4 year players also. I think we hit on Javon and Sackey but we need to keep building on that. We'll be able to offer major playing time as a freshman which should be a big selling point. I've heard that they are dead set on adding another young PG in this class which should be interesting to see who it will be.

M

Anybody know of a team that needs outside shooting?! Really hope they give this local kid an invite to their elite camp this summer.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10358544/5c8a8315a676490b2cf147a9

tiny707

Need to tap into Canada, Whitney Young, Meanstreets and Alton area for 2020. Chemistry is everything. We can also sell the Fab Five concept. Worked for Michigan.

VULB#62

People talk about the lessening of shooting capability here among US kids and wondering about why. OTOH, many "experts" cite the number of pure shooters being developed in Europe. Here's a unique idea. Why doesn't Valpo mine this resource. It would take a lot of work and, lord knows, we've never done anything like that before  ::)

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 14, 2019, 09:27:35 PM
People talk about the lessening of shooting capability here among US kids and wondering about why. OTOH, many "experts" cite the number of pure shooters being developed in Europe. Here's a unique idea. Why doesn't Valpo mine this resource. It would take a lot of work and, lord knows, we've never done anything like that before  ::)

Valpo took advantage of Europe when nobody else was recruiting European kids. It's completely different these days because many scout Europe and many of the top prospects play at camps in the US now days. Not many skilled Europeans are flying under the radar these days.

I also don't think people realize how tireless of a recruiter Scott Drew was. He is cut from a different cloth in terms of talent evaluation and his relentless work ethic in recruiting.

VU2014

I'm not sure how in play we are anymore, with Sackey and Siggy in the fold but one of Valpo's 2020 PG offers just landed his first high major offer. But tbh an offer from this Illinois staff could just mean interest with how they conduct business, which is common among high majors.

I'd imagine we have other needs with our 2020 scholarships

https://twitter.com/joehoopsreport/status/1122954476351053825?s=21

NativeCheesehead

I know they say don't judge a book by its cover,  but that head shot looks like he enjoys Micah's favorite herb.

humbleopinion

The return of Javon to the program has to help recruiting.  You have a high quality player who comes to Valpo, plays well and receives recognition at Valpo, decides to look around, and then decides that Valpo is the best place for him. That says loudly to recruits that Valpo is a special place.
Beamin' Beacons

M

How many scholarships will VU even have to offer the 2020 class? It was going to be a huge class a few months ago. Now I think it's only 2 but I'm not certain.

crusader05

Kiser and Fazekas for sure will be gone. It depends on if Jay stays or if we replace him with a grad transfer. So 2-3 now, not counting any transfers.

bbtds

Quote from: M on May 02, 2019, 04:35:59 PM
How many scholarships will VU even have to offer the 2020 class? It was going to be a huge class a few months ago. Now I think it's only 2 but I'm not certain.

Correct, It's Ryan and John only now. My how things have changed. That Lottich is sly like a fox.

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 02, 2019, 04:38:59 PM
Quote from: M on May 02, 2019, 04:35:59 PMHow many scholarships will VU even have to offer the 2020 class? It was going to be a huge class a few months ago. Now I think it's only 2 but I'm not certain.
Correct, It's Ryan and John only now. My how things have changed. That Lottich is sly like a fox.

Unless the final scholarship for 2019 goes to a one year grad transfer. Then we would have 3.

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 02, 2019, 04:43:49 PM

Quote from: M on May 02, 2019, 04:35:59 PMHow many scholarships will VU even have to offer the 2020 class? It was going to be a huge class a few months ago. Now I think it's only 2 but I'm not certain.

Unless the final scholarship for 2019 goes to a one year grad transfer. Then we would have 3.

Good point. Incredibly Lottich has evened out the classes well.

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on May 02, 2019, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on May 02, 2019, 04:43:49 PM
Good point. Incredibly Lottich has evened out the classes well.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1124075558869114882