• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2020

Started by VU2014, October 26, 2017, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Bakari tried the Big Ten and is from Detroit. Hoping he spent some time with Lorne. I still have hope for tomorrow.

crusadermoe

True that 3.5 hours driving is not "close."   But flying connections from Iowa and Neb through nasty Chicago airports ain't a picnic either and it costs a lot more.

VULB#62

I occasionally drive down from just south of Green Bay (about 4 hours if Chicago traffic isn't too bad) to watch a FB game and then drive home again that day.  And I don't have a kid on the team.  When you have a kid playing, the motivation is much, much higher.  In that light as a parent, 3.5 hours to see your kid play at Valpo is not a burden.  Plus, there are 4 MVC schools in Illinois that add additional opportunities to see Valpo away games as well.

VULB#62

Next man up. Who's next.?

M

Local kid and point guard DaVion Davis put up 40 in Calumet's scrimmage vs Morton tonight.

VU2014

Quote from: M on November 17, 2018, 02:56:40 AM
Local kid and point guard DaVion Davis put up 40 in Calumet's scrimmage vs Morton tonight.

I've heard some very positive things about Davis and he apparently really likes Valpo, which is another plus in my book.

My only concern about going after Davis would be that having two shorter PGs (sub 5-9) in Sackey and Davis could be a roster issue. I also haven't seen Davis play other tan highlights. To be play at this level with that height he'd need have 1 or special attributes to his game (ex: Sackey's speed, explosiveness, hops). But he can ball out then I want him In our program . Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on November 17, 2018, 08:24:54 AM
Quote from: M on November 17, 2018, 02:56:40 AM

I've heard some very positive things about Davis and he apparently really likes Valpo, which is another plus in my book.

My only concern about going after Davis would be that having two shorter PGs (sub 5-9) in Sackey and Davis could be a roster issue. I also haven't seen Davis play other tan highlights. To be play at this level with that height he'd need have 1 or special attributes to his game (ex: Sackey's speed, explosiveness, hops). But he can ball out then I want him In our program . Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

I quickly searched highlight tape and found the max preps one to be "mehhh".  Please link us to the one(s) you found impressive.

M

He's undersized probably 5'10-5'11 now (we were about eye to eye when I saw him this summer and I'm 5'11) and muscles up from 150-170 this past summer (built a little like Max Joseph) but hoping he'll hit that late basketball player growth spurt and stretch out. Kid can shoot from anywhere on the court and get by anybody one on one.

Just posted this hear because one I'm a big fan of his and two he loves Valpo.

Probably not MVC caliber, yet, but ya never know. Lord knows Valpo could use his shooting, lol.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on November 17, 2018, 10:35:56 AM
He's undersized probably 5'10-5'11 now (we were about eye to eye when I saw him this summer and I'm 5'11) and muscles up from 150-170 this past summer (built a little like Max Joseph) but hoping he'll hit that late basketball player growth spurt and stretch out. Kid can shoot from anywhere on the court and get by anybody one on one.

Probably not MVC caliber, yet, but ya never know. Lord knows Valpo could use his shooting, lol.

Thanks for the solid input M.  In the games you've seen, what type of competition is he playing?  Is he getting up shots against size and speed?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 17, 2018, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: M on November 17, 2018, 10:35:56 AM

Thanks for the solid input M.  In the games you've seen, what type of competition is he playing?  Is he getting up shots against size and speed?

Also meant to ask, who not MVC caliber yet?  Thanks for the input

M

His hs competition isn't bad but isn't elite by any means. Mostly 2A and 3A schools. He really shined in the state tournament last year against some real good teams, I want to say he averaged 22 a game during the sectional and regional games. I don't think it should be over looked that he was the focus of the opponents defensive strategies as well. Joined a better AAU team (Indiana Game) on a better circuit this past summer and by the end of the season was really leading the way.

I was referring to a Davis when I said not MVC caliber, and what I mean by that is his past production probably hasn't warranted that kind of a look.

VULB#62

Quote from: M on November 30, 2018, 09:15:24 PM
https://www.wjobnetwork.com/wjob-shows/high-school-sports/the-rebuilding-keeps-rocking/

C'mon man. Add something to your post so that we don't have labor through an entire article
to kinda figure out what the purpose of your post happened to be.

M

:'( :'(

It's about the Davis kid...the only kid ive mentioned in maybe this entire thread.

VU2014

Quote"He had a good summer," Nelson said of Davis. "He's getting college attention. He has no major college offers. Yet. But if he keeps having games like he had on Saturday night, he will. He's a diamond in the rough."

I'd imagine our coaches are keeping tabs on his recruitment. I'm not sure we'll offer but it's too early to tell.

M

Just to mix it up...Jonelle (Nelly) Davis has 20-15-6 with 9 steals as 21st Century dropped Bowman.

Nelly holds several D1 offers.

VU2014

Heard a name of a recruit the staff is interested in, Carter Gilmore. He's a SF from Wisconsin. Coach Townsend and Coach Bowen are both very familiar with that states recruitment.

VUBBFan, pointed to that article that Skogman sounds unlikely to land with Valpo but maybe we land a Wisconsin kid in the 2020 class. I wouldn't be surprised if we started a series with a UWM or GB in the near future to assist in the recruitment of some of these kids in the near future.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on December 26, 2018, 06:09:39 PM
Heard a name of a recruit the staff is interested in, Carter Gilmore. He's a SF from Wisconsin. Coach Townsend and Coach Bowen are both very familiar with that states recruitment.

VUBBFan, pointed to that article that Skogman sounds unlikely to land with Valpo but maybe we land a Wisconsin kid in the 2020 class. I wouldn't be surprised if we started a series with a UWM or GB in the near future to assist in the recruitment of some of these kids in the near future.

Gilmore's offer list so far appears to include DePaul (one of 11 offers at his position in the 2020 class), UIC, SIU and UWM for sure and 247's list includes Brown, but verbalcommits does not.

M

Da'Vion is an elite outside shooter who has really adjusted his game this season as defenses focus on him. A lot more attacking off the dribble and mid range so far.

Another local kid really performing at a high level is Jonelle Davis at 21st Century. Maybe we should have a thread for area talent we'd like to see considered.

Kid from Whiting just got an offer from Miami (Ohio). Saw him play once, has some nice athleticism. I'm sorry his name is escaping me right now.

VU2014

Bradley just offered Isaiah Rivera. Valpo Coaches are heavily involved in his recruitment.

https://twitter.com/midwesthoopssl/status/1085546010351468545?s=21

The Coaches seem to be work really working this class hard, as they should be. It's crucial they nail this class.

VU2014

Markus Watson just had a 21(!) assist game. He was one of Valpo's first 2020 recruits. His only 2 offers are Valpo and Chicago State. That will likely change.

https://twitter.com/TheMacIrvinFire/status/1086081740848779265

M

DaVion Davis has gone over 30 in 4 of his last 5 and leads the whole area in 3 pointers made.

I hope VU at least invites him to their elite camp.

bbtds

Quote from: M on February 02, 2019, 09:54:12 PM
DaVion Davis has gone over 30 in 4 of his last 5 and leads the whole area in 3 pointers made.

I hope VU at least invites him to their elite camp.

According to this Times story from almost a year ago Davis has already been at one of Valpo's camps.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/calumet-s-davion-davis-has-grown-up-on-the-basketball/article_623fbada-d37f-5c76-a012-2ba39c69c64d.html

Calumet's Davion Davis has grown up on the basketball floor

Bryce Drew hasn't lived in Northwest Indiana in a couple years.

The former Valparaiso University coach is now at Vanderbilt, but his basketball legacy still casts a shadow in these parts.

Calumet sophomore Davion Davis admitted he was a goofy, fun-loving student while attending Lake Ridge Middle School. He admitted attending a camp at VU the summer before he enrolled at Calumet changed everything.

"He just tore it up at Valpo, he dominated," Calumet coach Dominique Nelson said.

"That's when I knew I had to start working harder so colleges will notice," Davis said.

So far. So very good.

Davis attended a couple of games at Valpo. He's met coach Matt Lottich and saw the inside of the Crusaders locker room.

Possibly like Bryce Drew did 20 years ago with the Crusaders, Davis relishes cutting down the nets. No one maybe expected this to occur last Saturday.

But it did.

"I love watching guys in college cut down the nets," Davis said. "After we lost last year, I put on Facebook that I wanted to cut down the nets this year and we did. And we don't want this to be the last nets we cut."