• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2020

Started by VU2014, October 26, 2017, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Quote from: VU2014 on October 29, 2019, 03:14:08 PMValpo1995, You brought up Connor Linke a few months ago on this thread. He just committed to Bradley. You also mentioned his parents were Valpo alums. [tweet]1189220799636484101[/tweet]?s=21

The missing Linke.

We missed that one.

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 30, 2019, 02:44:58 PM

Quote from: VU2014 on October 29, 2019, 03:14:08 PMValpo1995, You brought up Connor Linke a few months ago on this thread. He just committed to Bradley. You also mentioned his parents were Valpo alums. [tweet]1189220799636484101[/tweet]?s=21

The missing Linke.

We missed that one.

I think I remember reading that we were involved (might have even took a unofficial visit), but didn't offer. Idk, we'll see how he turns out. We can't have them all. Remember many wanted the Valpo coaches to offer Taylor Bruninga (including myself) and he hasn't been able to stay on the court because of health at ISUr. He had some Peters' family connections and took more than one unofficial visit at Valpo but we ultimately didn't offer.

Idk, we'll see

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2019, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on October 30, 2019, 02:44:58 PM

The missing Linke.

We missed that one.

I think I remember reading that we were involved (might have even took a unofficial visit), but didn't offer. Idk, we'll see how he turns out. We can't have them all. Remember many wanted the Valpo coaches to offer Taylor Bruninga (including myself) and he hasn't been able to stay on the court because of health at ISUr. He had some Peters' family connections and took more than one unofficial visit at Valpo but we ultimately didn't offer.

Idk, we'll see

That doesn't mean the Taylor Bruninga decision not to offer might come back to haunt us in the next few seasons.

govalpogo

Whoa, snuck this one in on us!  Recruiting class is full then (Potential transfers not withstanding)?  A 6'4" guard.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1194067290398040065

covufan

Quote from: govalpogo on November 11, 2019, 08:07:37 PM
Whoa, snuck this one in on us!  Recruiting class is full then (Potential transfers not withstanding)?  A 6'4" guard.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1194067290398040065
Why is recruiting class full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Because that's all the scholarships unless (until) someone transfers after the year.

wh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssBfBQYHvYs&feature=share

Makes some of the longest 3's you will ever see.

Sheldon averaged 21.1 PPG last year. Shot 52% from 2, 36% from 3, and 82% from the line.

valpotx

Luka Doncic range.  That dude has begun taking 3's from wherever he wants, a la Steph Curry.  Anytime someone can hit a step-back 3, you have to be excited!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

The line between the top of the key and center court is 28'.  So, his 2 shots behind that line were about 29' away. His others close to the line but angled left or right were probably 26-27' or so. That's crazy.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on November 12, 2019, 07:01:26 AM
The line between the top of the key and center court is 28'.  So, his 2 shots behind that line were about 29' away. His others close to the line but angled left or right were probably 26-27' or so. That's crazy.

Difficult to make accurate judgements from highlight reels, but does that not concern any of you?  I'm only pulling from recent memory but the last VU player to have the green light from Greenland was Micah Bradford and his freshman year was a bit taxing.  Either way, nice to see another guy 6'4" or taller added to the roster.

P.S.  He seems like more of a bruiser, his slashing plays reminded me more of Eron Gordon than Shane Hammink.

VU2014

Just from the tape you can see the raw ability the coaches saw. He seems like a big body for a high school senior. I honestly have no clue. Hopefully he turns out to be a stud.

I'm more curious on what this means for the roster construction. Our front will be made up of Mileek, Emil, Clay (versatile player), Krikke, Ognacevic.

Some of those guys can play 3-4 hopefully.

vu72

So two of the three recruits come from prep schools.  That helps in that they are a year older and have had time to not only work on their game but also to mature and get ready for college academics.  Wonder how we got in on this kid.  Looks strong and very athletic.  A Valley player for sure.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: M on November 11, 2019, 10:15:05 PM
Because that's all the scholarships unless (until) someone transfers after the year.
Don't we have 12 on scholarship now?  Subtract two graduating seniors, we should have three remaining scholarships for next year, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS

Yes we have 3 scholarships open and 3 players that have verbally committed. Jacob Ognacevic a 6'8 forward from Sheboygan, WI.  Connor Barrett a 6'6 guard from Chicago who is at a prep school in the East. Sheldon Edwards a 6'4 guard from West Palm Beach who is at a prep school in Florida. Looks like a good recruiting class with some very good 3 point shooters which we need. Good to see Lotich hitting Chicago and getting these early signing period committs.

VU2014

Quote from: RS on November 12, 2019, 09:36:30 AM
Yes we have 3 scholarships open and 3 players that have verbally committed. Jacob Ognacevic a 6'8 forward from Sheboygan, WI.  Connor Barrett a 6'6 guard from Chicago who is at a prep school in the East. Sheldon Edwards a 6'4 guard from West Palm Beach who is at a prep school in Florida. Looks like a good recruiting class with some very good 3 point shooters which we need. Good to see Lotich hitting Chicago and getting these early signing period committs.

None of our recruits are Chicago Public League guys. Not saying that's a negative. I'm just pointing it out. Barrett played in the Catholic League (still good basketball / now playing prep).

The only reason I point it out is because there is a pretty clear distinction. Recruiting the CPL (Chicago Public League) is much trickier and more difficult, because there are basketball politics involved and relationships are everything.

EddieCabot

I'm sure the staff will keep recruiting, letting players know they're interested if existing players transfer.

It will be interesting to see how the staff handles mid-year transfers.  They technically have a scholarship open for the 2nd half of this year, so they could sign under the assumption that at least one player from this year's roster will transfer.  I hate that attitude, but it's a reality in mid-major basketball today.

I'd especially keep an eye on the 3 redshirt juniors who are likely to be graduating in the spring.  Hope Lottich is already re-recruiting them to stay for their senior years.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on November 12, 2019, 01:19:42 PM
Quote from: RS on November 12, 2019, 09:36:30 AM

None of our recruits are Chicago Public League guys. Not saying that's a negative. I'm just pointing it out. Barrett played in the Catholic League (still good basketball / now playing prep).

The only reason I point it out is because there is a pretty clear distinction. Recruiting the CPL (Chicago Public League) is much trickier and more difficult, because there are basketball politics involved and relationships are everything.

To quote our enlightening and so wise and endearing President, "What the hell is going on in Chicago? What the hell is happening there?"

""The city of Chicago. What the hell is going on in Chicago? There are those who say that Afghanistan is safer than Chicago, okay? What is going on? You know what's wrong with Chicago? Weak, ineffective politicians."

Why would we recruit Chicago when there are weak, ineffective politicians who run the CPS? Why do we want Chicago kids like Javon Freeman, Nick Robinson & Zion Morgan who are part of the problem in Chicago Public Schools?

Please see that this post is dripping with sarcasm.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on November 12, 2019, 08:47:32 AM
Just from the tape you can see the raw ability the coaches saw. He seems like a big body for a high school senior. I honestly have no clue. Hopefully he turns out to be a stud.

I'm more curious on what this means for the roster construction. Our front will be made up of Mileek, Emil, Clay (versatile player), Krikke, Ognacevic.

Anyone else curious why Sheldon Edwards average 21 ppg 7 rpg 3 steals and 2 apg....and had to go to prep school out of high school?  And all this in the biggest class in FL (7A/8A)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/fl-sp-7a-8a-all-state-hoops-20190425-story.html%3foutputType=amp

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 13, 2019, 05:52:46 AM

Anyone else curious why Sheldon Edwards average 21 ppg 7 rpg 3 steals and 2 apg....and had to go to prep school out of high school?  And all this in the biggest class in FL (7A/8A)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/fl-sp-7a-8a-all-state-hoops-20190425-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I suppose that he was only getting interest from high majors and he wanted a different fit!  Just kidding of course.  I have no idea but it is a very valid question.  On the surface we got a big time stud--but why??  Could have been an academic issue or a guy with talent who wasn't as focused on academics as he needed to be or, perhaps an injury of some sort that get the other schools to back off.  Anyway, what is our connection?  How did we find this kid in the first place?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2019, 12:57:35 PM

I suppose that he was only getting interest from high majors and he wanted a different fit!  Just kidding of course.  I have no idea but it is a very valid question.  On the surface we got a big time stud--but why??  Could have been an academic issue or a guy with talent who wasn't as focused on academics as he needed to be or, perhaps an injury of some sort that get the other schools to back off.  Anyway, what is our connection?  How did we find this kid in the first place?

As close a connection as I could find (and its a stretch) is his current coach played in the Austrian Pro League 2 years after Matt played in the German League. 

vu72

Found this in an article about a basketball camp performance, written in May, 2018:

West Palm Lakes (FL) – Sheldon Edwards – Wellington Wolves

From the first Friday of the live period until the final Sunday, Edwards consistently led all scorers in his matchups every time out. He put together multiple 20-point performances with the Wellington Wolves organization at both On the Radar Sweet 16 sessions; doing so in several ways. The combo guard has long arms and caused havoc in the backcourt defensively for quick lay-ups and on the offensive end he remained aggressive with acrobatic finishes and looked comfortable pulling up game from the mid-range and three-point area. Edwards has a great mind as a passer anticipated and found teammates off of offensive rebounds and assisted easy finishes in transition.

cornonthe

Quote from: wh on November 13, 2019, 03:10:38 PM

As close a connection as I could find (and its a stretch) is his current coach played in the Austrian Pro League 2 years after Matt played in the German League. 

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time...thank you for that!!! 😆🤓🥳

FieldGoodie05

Also, when is the last time we had 3/3 or 100% available slots filled this early for the following year?  Here we are Nov 13th and 3/3 committed or signed...

wh

And, beginning with Daniel and Javon, 9 of the last 10 recruits have been true Freshmen.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on November 14, 2019, 03:45:58 AM
And, beginning with Daniel and Javon, 9 of the last 10 recruits have been true Freshmen.

Solid point.  I suppose the pendulum swung hard towards true freshman after having a handful of bad results with some transfers??  Some of that has got to be watching (2) healthy players sit for consecutive years while their transfer penance was paid.

We surely could have used Joe Burton in year one with the program.  I'd also suspect the coaches would want character guys like Eron Gordon and Nick Robinson to get big minutes on last years team as well!