• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2020

Started by VU2014, October 26, 2017, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

What are the details on Sheldon Edwards...height, position, ppg, etc?  Did he go to highs school with any of our other current team members?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on February 28, 2020, 02:42:24 PM
What are the details on Sheldon Edwards...height, position, ppg, etc?  Did he go to highs school with any of our other current team members?

This from the signing announcement:  No, he is from Florida

Edwards, a 6-foot-4 guard, averaged 21.2 points and 7.6 rebounds at Palm Beach Lakes High last season. He is spending a postgraduate year at TLAP Sports Academy in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

"Sheldon wasn't as well known and didn't play a high level of AAU until later in his career," Lottich said. "We were out recruiting a different player, and Sheldon had 36 points. We watched him again, and he had 37. He can score at all three levels. He's athletic, can shoot and has the ability to get by his defender and finish. The way our class was built, it became clear that he was a player who could fill the missing piece. We're getting a player with a ton of potential and talent, and we're thrilled to add that to our roster."

A first-team all-state honoree, Edwards won all-star game MVP honors in the state of Florida last season. He prides himself on scoring and defense.

"My visit to Valpo was perfect; everyone made it seem like home for my family and me," Edwards said. "After the visit, it wasn't a hard decision. My family and I knew right away this was the best fit. I know everyone will be bigger, faster and stronger playing at the Division-I college level, but I'm ready. I'm working to continue to improve this season. Next year, we're going to be a team that plays hard and is fun to watch."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

4throwfan

So, assuming no transfers, is the roster full for next year? 

I think that there are three coming in:

Sheldon Edwards
Jacob Ognacevic
Connor Barnett

Also, is the guy on the mission (can't remember name) coming back next year?

Is that right?

M

Aren't there only going to be two scholarships open from our departing seniors?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 28, 2020, 06:04:15 PM
Aren't there only going to be two scholarships open from our departing seniors?

Thought we came into THIS season having not filled (1) scholarship??

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 28, 2020, 06:23:37 PM
Quote from: M on February 28, 2020, 06:04:15 PMAren't there only going to be two scholarships open from our departing seniors?
Thought we came into THIS season having not filled (1) scholarship??
Yes we did. Therefore we have three for next season. Witch are now all taken and filled.

vok22

Quote from: 4throwfan on February 28, 2020, 04:25:37 PM

Sheldon Edwards
Jacob Ognacevic
Connor Barnett

Is that right?

We had an open scholarship so we'll fill up all 3 with the incoming freshman. I believe Steve Helm, who is on the mission, is going to be playing on an academic scholarship so we won't have to burn one on him

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on February 27, 2020, 11:52:50 PM
https://twitter.com/jordanjacob91/status/1231646475387572229?s=21

I'm pretty curious about Jacob's upside. He's putting up crazy numbers against some fairly weak competition.

Seems to have strong fundamentals but the athleticism is a question mark for me. Seems to have a solid outside jumper. What are his rebounding numbers going to be against guys the same size and more athletic. Does he have that high basketball IQ, anticipation  and nose for the ball? You need to see him play live to judge these things.

I'm excited to watch him but I have somewhat tempered expectations for his freshman year. Remember Taylor Bruniga (now with ISU), he DOMINATED weak competition in high school at a low level and he's just solid/average player in the Valley as of right now

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 29, 2020, 10:11:15 AM
Quote from: FWalum on February 27, 2020, 11:52:50 PM
https://twitter.com/jordanjacob91/status/1231646475387572229?s=21

I'm pretty curious about Jacob's upside. He's putting up crazy numbers against some fairly weak competition.

Seems to have strong fundamentals but the athleticism is a question mark for me. Seems to have a solid outside jumper. What are his rebounding numbers going to be against guys the same size and more athletic. Does he have that high basketball IQ, anticipation  and nose for the ball? You need to see him play live to judge these things.

I'm excited to watch him but I have somewhat tempered expectations for his freshman year. Remember Taylor Bruniga (now with ISU), he DOMINATED weak competition in high school at a low level and he's just solid/average player in the Valley as of right now

All good points, certainly tempering our expectations is a good thing (like any freshman).  He doesn't have to dominate his competition at our level which might be a difficult mindset for him.  He is very tenacious as far as I can tell.  Does he have the good attitude to accept the ups-and-downs that a freshman year present?  One in which he will absolutely not dominate as in high school.  I think many freshman players have issues with the transition from "God" to "teammate off the bench".

People will hate me for this, but if he is another Derrik Smits (bad attitude on display) then I'm disinterested.  I am thankful for this years team seeing our players work together through JUST AS MANY trials and tribulations as last years team.  It's all in between the ears guys, all these players have the skill level to succeed in a team sport or else they wouldn't be recruited.

I want a team player first and foremost, if that is what Jacob brings to the table and only puts up 6 points 3 rebounds a game as a freshman then I am still pleased with his addition.

NativeCheesehead

How'd he do in summer leagues against better competition?

4throwfan

Quote from: vok22 on February 29, 2020, 06:20:34 AM
Quote from: 4throwfan on February 28, 2020, 04:25:37 PM

Sheldon Edwards
Jacob Ognacevic
Connor Barnett

Is that right?

We had an open scholarship so we'll fill up all 3 with the incoming freshman. I believe Steve Helm, who is on the mission, is going to be playing on an academic scholarship so we won't have to burn one on him

Just asking for my own education,

Does it matter what kind of scholarship that he gets?  What is to stop a team from awarding academic scholarships to extra players, and then having them "walk on"?  Seems like an unscrupulous team could have 18 people on the bench, with all being on scholarship 13-athletic, and 5-academic.  Seems like a team would be limited to 13 scholarships, regardless of what kind they are.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 29, 2020, 11:35:56 AM
How'd he do in summer leagues against better competition?

Good question.  I did a little searching and didn't find out much other than he played on a very talented aau team with guys like Wisconsin signees, The Davis brothers.  Here is an article which is over a year old but said in part:

"Ognacevic made Thompson defend all over the court and was as consistent with his outside shot as he was in the post".  The Thompson mentioned is Terrance Thompson, who holds 10 D1 offers including Bradley and Missouri State.

Here's the article:  https://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/preps/aau-basketball-stars-invade-la-crosse-central-for-practice-sessions/article_3bd16233-6ff0-5688-9440-e4791faa5538.html

VUGrad1314

Super excited for this kid and this class I have to say!

VU2014

I'm probably over thinking this but this clip makes me question the ceiling on Jacob. Life in CBB won't be this easy. If he takes this same move to the hoop against a capable defensive team it gets contested. The athleticism is concerning. Maybe I'm looking for reasons to get off the hype train with Jacob...

https://twitter.com/leicaman99/status/1235032782759481350?s=21

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 04, 2020, 04:03:30 PM
I'm probably over thinking this but this clip makes me question the ceiling on Jacob. Life in CBB won't be this easy. If he takes this same move to the hoop against a capable defensive team it gets contested. The athleticism is concerning. Maybe I'm looking for reasons to get off the hype train with Jacob...

I also have questions about Jacoobs athleticism, but they have been assuaged somewhat by some of the many clips on MaxPreps this past year. I am most concerned with his quickness and foot speed. We will just have to wait and see, he seems to have a very good work ethic from what his coaches and peers have said. If you search for him on Twitter there is a fair amount of stuff on him, not just high school stuff.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Jacob%20Ognacevic&src=typed_query
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on March 04, 2020, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 04, 2020, 04:03:30 PM

I also have questions about Jacoobs athleticism, but they have been assuaged somewhat by some of the many clips on MaxPreps this past year. I am most concerned with his quickness and foot speed. We will just have to wait and see, he seems to have a very good work ethic from what his coaches and peers have said. If you search for him on Twitter there is a fair amount of stuff on him, not just high school stuff.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Jacob%20Ognacevic&src=typed_query

Hard to argue against your points, I personally just want someone that can shoot with a good % inside and out at this position.  His defense, IMO, will be mostly in question if he doesn't have good anticipation or foot speed.  We haven't had a technically sound C in many years and if his high school scoring prowess is partly due to basketball footwork / IQ I think he will be just fine.  I'd like to see another Kevin Van Wijk in a Valpo uniform.  He was never athletically overwhelming but he sure was effective.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2020, 06:50:16 PMWe haven't had a technically sound C in many years and if his high school scoring prowess is partly due to basketball footwork / IQ I think he will be just fine.  I'd like to see another Kevin Van Wijk in a Valpo uniform. 

Will we try to fashion him as a true center? I have him pictured as more an Adekoya, McMillan, Krikke composite.

NotBryceDrew

Remember that other guy we had that wasn't athletic at all a few years back, Alec Peters. He turned out alright.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on March 04, 2020, 07:26:21 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2020, 06:50:16 PMWe haven't had a technically sound C in many years and if his high school scoring prowess is partly due to basketball footwork / IQ I think he will be just fine.  I'd like to see another Kevin Van Wijk in a Valpo uniform.

Will we try to fashion him as a true center? I have him pictured as more an Adekoya, McMillan, Krikke composite.

I think the coaches see him as a 3/4, probably the later.  He has a high percentage from the 3.  With McMillan at the 5, Jacob or Ben could play the 4.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2020, 07:53:23 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 04, 2020, 07:26:21 PM

I think the coaches see him as a 3/4, probably the later.  He has a high percentage from the 3.  With McMillan at the 4, Jacob or Ben could play the 4.

That's fine if we want to see his skill set is more of a power forward but I think the fact remains that he will have to defend against centers in many instances. We can line them up however you want offensively but on the defensive end our opponents are going to have guys his size or bigger and he's going to need to defend them and play that position.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2020, 07:53:23 PMI think the coaches see him as a 3/4, probably the later.  He has a high percentage from the 3.  With McMillan at the 4, Jacob or Ben could play the 4.
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2020, 08:29:01 PM
That's fine if we want to see his skill set is more of a power forward but I think the fact remains that he will have to defend against centers in many instances. We can line them up however you want offensively but on the defensive end our opponents are going to have guys his size or bigger and he's going to need to defend them and play that position.

I also do not see Jacob as a 5 but as a 4 who may at times have to play with his back to the basket. Who knows about any of this stuff, I was super excited about Parker Hazen and I got to see him in person many times against 2,3 and 4A competition.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Regarding Jacob's quickness and foot speed, those were the same concerns about Alec Peters.  Those recruiting him were not as much concerned with those things as they were impressed with his offensive skills...scorer, good 3-point shooter and rebounder.  And he kept improving through his senior year in H S after a good AAU run.  This kid looks like he COULD be another A P.  In any event, when he shatters  records previously set by Sam Dekker, that alone is saying something.  Let's face it, no matter who the recruit ,  2 star to 5 star rating, you never know know  how they will pan out on the college level.  We have seen examples of that at VU.  Personally,  I can't wait to see the guy in brown and gold next year.  The same feeling I have for the other 2 recruits for next year.

VU2014

I just really don't like throwing around AP comps. Players like him come around once in a generation for mid-major schools.

I'm less plugged in then I use to be but I don't hear the same buzz for Jacob that I did for Alec. When Alec committed the coaches knew they landed a program changer. Not sure that same buzz and hype is here. But like I said, I'm not a plugged in as I use to be.

VUGrad1314

All he has to do is be a good second or third option and fit in well with JFL Clay and Krikke. if he can do that we're going to be fine.