• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo - Duquesne (9/17)

Started by covufan, September 15, 2011, 11:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Duquesne beat Dayton on the road last week.  Hoping they will have a letdown this week.

Valpo      -  17
Duquesne - 31

Valpo stays in the game until fourth quarter.

valpopal

Valpo         -   21
Duquesne   -   45

new2ff

Valpo          38
Duquesne     28

historyman

milanmiracle

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

sectionee

Crusader65

I'll be attending the game and will report back my firsthand look at this team face to face.

Valpo 35 - Duquesne 24

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

cornonthe

swiftmutiny

sectionee

28-0 at the half....Come on offense get us on the board

sectionee

setshot

A positive note for the Crusaders is that for the second time this year we held an opponent to under 50 pts. I'm anxious to hear from Crusader '65,as to just how awlful we really are. 0-11 again?

milanmiracle

From what I can read on the recap, sounds like the line of scrimmage was a problem. Getting out gained 425-26 on the ground leads me to believe they were just outmaned.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

setshot

With the loss,VU has fallen to #245 in the Sagarin ratings.

Crusader65

OK, here goes my assessment of the game and the team.  First, Dequesne has a fine team but not 35 points better than Valpo even though the scoreboard said so. The defense made them better than they were by first committing mistakes then slowly giving up one man at a time.  We don't have a linebacker on the team.  The position is listed but our group is in name only.  I was concerned by the lack of communication and emotional fire on a team that seems to talk about leaving it on the field while not coming close to fulfilling it.  They just don't finish plays the way they are capable.  I didn't see the swarming or all out effort from the entire group that was talked about in the first game.  We do have some players out there giving it all - finishing and extra effort always but they are the exception rather than the rule.  The defense was more concerned about getting signals from the sideline than calling out the alignment or formation of the offense.  Simple principles of hitting and tackling seem to be replaced with reaching and grabbing.  I was comparing my assessment with another alum from my era that I was pleasantly surprised to see at the game.  We were in lock step on the big picture.  This team needs to be playing the freshmen more in the future.  They will make mistakes but they will learn and a superior effort will be consistently realized.  We do have some young studs in training but most should have been redshirted to finish growing more before using their eligibility but that is not an option for this team.

Don't let me forget the offense; their breakdowns were being close to getting it right but falling short of complete execution by the whole team.  This is an eleven man at a time team sport that requires, in this offense, everyone being on the same page every time.  Three and outs just helped sap the defense.  Futility was becoming the dominate thought in each young man's mind.  I just watched it in their body language.  It hurt!  I couldn't help myself - being so physically close behind the team bench in the third quarter I yelled out, "I didn't travel this far to see this poor of an effort" heads turned and I followed with "get your asses in gear - hit back, get in the game!" Other Valpo fans - some mothers and fathers chimed in too.  I don't know if that helped but they did score on the next possession and some spirit rose from the ashes.  You know the outcome, very disappointing in effort more than being out classed.

I talked to some of the player and parents after the game.  These were the ones that I thought showed promise, commitment and effort to my liking.  These are good kids that just need time to become men on the field.  I was surprised and pleased that Coach Carlson talked to me at length after the game and we had a very frank discussion about the challenges both immediate and long term.  I offered some ideas and I will await his feedback after he has time to reflect on them.

Now for setshot – this team can win a few of the games remaining on this schedule.  I think their focus needs to be this bye week before Homecoming and preparing to win with a better defensive plan for Morehead State.  This defense was played straight up and no games or stunts were used to any extent.  They need to become a high risk/high reward taking group to put some fire into this group.  The offense just needs to focus and get Gabe El Ali the ball in open space.  He will be something special if he can keep the fire going within himself.

setshot

Great report,'65. Glad to hear that Carlson may give some of your observations some thought. I hope he can/will implement these. On the other hand, both he and his staff have been at it for almost two months. I would think they would have noticed the same team flaws that you observed and corrected them. Maybe coaching is a bigger problem than we thought. Anyhow, we need a win SOON! Go Valpo!

Crusader65

Setshot you seem to draw only your perceived negative or way to raise questions not realized out of between the lines that aren't there.  Don't get the wrong idea about the coaching.  I offered support solutions outside the coaching lines.  He has a good handle on the problems and was very forthright about how things are attempting to be corrected.  It still comes down to the guys playing on the field to their potential, the coaches can't play for them.  He has hopes that leadership will come forth within the team before too long and individuals will seize the opportunities in front of them.  The young players do show improvement fast with experience but as the quote of Vernon Law says, "Experience is a tough teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson after."  If I have any question it would be to get the defensive coach on the sidelines and put the assistant in the pressbox - at least for the first or second half of the game.  Yes, we need a win badly - make it Homecoming!  Go Valpo!

setshot

I read that Gabe had 9 carries for 19 yds. Damn he's good. An all PFL prospect?

Crusader65

In the fantasy world of sports statistics are all that matter.  The funny thing is that most fantasy winners aren't on winning teams with the exception of a few positions.  I see your point about Gabe but have you had your eyes on him?  Have you watched him live anywhere?  On video feed?  I know your post was aimed at getting a response to your negative world and I gave you this one because I agree that nothing has been shown by this team yet, other than anything new and negative you can throw at them.  I just ask that when positive result do come you will be as generous with your positive comments as well.  I know that is going to be hard for you because you live to be negative and snide, but I have hope for you too.

vu72

Coach Carlson's recap:

DUQUESNE WRAP-UP
By Dale Carlson– September 19, 2011
The Crusaders started slow and never recovered vs Duquesne on Saturday in Pittsburgh, PA. Things never clicked as we gave up a sack on the opening play. The Dukes' first drive went 15 plays for a score. We missed 6 tackles during the drive.

Football is the ultimate team game. Within the game there are 11 one-on-one battles that must be won by your team a majority of the time to have success.  We are not winning enough of those battles. We had our opportunities to make plays on Saturday and did not execute with consistency.

Our special teams played much better.  Our kick return team did an excellent job putting our offense in good field position. We were one block away from big returns on several occasions. Our kick-off team met its goal for the game by holding all returns at the 30 yard line or less for the game.  I liked the way we ran, covered, and made tackles on that team.  Special teams play is so important and we seem to be turning the corner in that regard.

We now have 2 weeks to prepare for Morehead State.  We played a competitive non-conference schedule that should prepare us for conference play.  A bye week is good as it allows the bumps and bruises to heal.  It gives us a chance to focus on basic football fundamentals for a few days before we have to focus on game prep for Morehead State.  We will be evaluating personnel as well and may make some changes heading into October 1.

We are all frustrated by our lack of consistency.  Our staff will continue to teach our men the fundamentals of the game along with character.  During the long bus ride home Saturday night I thought long and hard about the keys to turning things around.  I came to the conclusion that there is no magic formula.  Our staff will continue to coach hard and we will teach the young men in our program the importance of character in their lives.  Success comes from a positive attitude, discipline, consistency, and accepting and executing one's responsibilities.  We will work hard to focus on executing each play to the best of our ability.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

'65: Our game against Morehead should be a winner for VU. Hell, Morehead plays SD  down in KY. the week before coming to Valpo. Mean while Valpo has a bye week and two weeks to prepare for Morehead(ranked #239). Piece of cake. Our losing streak will be over and its nothing but blue skies from now on. But,should we lose -------------?

TC28

Setshot---do you ever have anything positive to say that doesn't involve sarcasm or criticism? It's almost like you hope VU loses so you can post some snotty remark. I'm just as tired of seeing my team get blown out as anyone else but there's no need to start criticizing the players. Especially a freshman with a lot of potential.

ValpoBy7

The Fan Zone is entertaining to say the least. I gather grown men and women mixing it up, and at odds over what is right and what may be wrong. Sounds okay except for the lack of respect for Valparaiso, the fans who support, the players, their families, coaches working to win, and the school's students. We miss so much in being critical, as well as generic.

I see so much good why focus on less. There is much in this turn around that hits home with praise. I never saw last years season. Not one game, but I did look at the scoring summaries, the timelines, who scored first, how ofter, how long drives were, and when Valpo appeared to be out of it. From my analysis I saw in many if not most that Valpo was out of the game by the end of the first quarter. As for dwelling on that, no way. I did look back to gain a footing, but from there the train has already started up the hill.

Here is what I see, in two games we are in the game at halftime. In one game we are in the game in the fourth quarter. Two games are against better opponents that all of last year. Two of the first three games were against athletic scholarship programs that are on the rise. These two games were on the road. The YSU game was a mismatch as YSU went out and got 20+ JC players, plus transfers. They spent money to get back to where they once were. Our speed and their is not close, same for size. We have a long way to go against the YSU of the FCS. As compared to last year where we scored 7, 0, and 7 for a total of 14 conversely we have 62 points in three games, and have scored in double figures in all three.

Last year in the first quarter our defense gave up points way too fast. Against the Dukes they had to go 15 plays to score on the first drive. That took 7 min off of the clock. Against D3 Franklin much of the same. Yes we are giving up too many points. This is because oou offense is passing too much, but that is because our lines against scholarship programs are not big enough nor strong enough to make a running game go. This will correct itself as we move into conference play. Add to this 90 new players who are new over the last two years, and wow have we really grown. I see growth beyond what most can see. You would have to understand growth of an athlete, experience of being their, playing time, knowledge of opponets, transitions to school, the tough educational requirements, being a long way from home, and so on. These 90 new players over two years is really say 80 as many have left. Just too much to bear, etc. Given these points praise is due. I do not like seeing a negative slant by some of our posters, but there are friends of mine that are miserable, and they can help it but, life has frankly kicked their butts and they are in sad shape. The attitude of some of our posters is to hurt not build up. The old coaching styles are just that old.

Valpo's needs are more team speed. Stronger lineman, bigger lineman, and yes inner strength. The inner side comes from being there. The role of our upper classman is to help model, but some are not there as they are trying to win their first games. So we have a huge mixed bag. Hang in there as there has been some nice growth. Coach Dale Carlson deserves praise for working from the very bottom up. Their are not a bunch of athletes on the team that could start anywhere else, but that does not mean they will not develop into solid players who will surprise you. Give them time, give them praise, look at them as young men of valor. Yes they do get down, yes they do feel beat during the game when down by 28 at the end of the first quarter after losing 22 straight. I would be down to, and so would you. They did fight, and the score in quarter 2 was 0 - 0 and 28 - 0 at the end of the half. The second half against the Dukes was 17 - 14. Yes we played against many of their seconds, but those seconds are scholarship players. They get 65 whole scholarship in FCS. The Dukes are four years into working towards 65. So they may be at 50+. Their next opponent won one game last year and was in year three of working towards 65 full rides. Those teams will be better than us until we go to athletic scholarships. That is a fact. Live with it. Bucknell was 0 - 11 last year, non scholarship new coach and are 1-2. That could be us. We are close. Keep the faith, help by remaining positive, reinforce what is good, and throw up on yourself, and not here on this FAN ZONE BLOG. The header says VALPO FAN ZONE. So if you are not a FAN find somewhere where you can make a difference. Negativity is of no help. My son plays, came a long way, is struggling with the distance, has played a bunch, and is missing home. We are pulling for his school, your school, and our school. I would rather see friends here than wonder why there are people who have issues with young men really trying. Yes there are some that give up, but for the betterment of all. Encourage them!  Thanks   ValpoBy7

vu72

Great post.  I had no idea that The Northeast Conference was allowing scholarships in football.  That is a recent change.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015