• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Is Lottich the man?

Started by elephtheria47, January 24, 2018, 10:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmosmithfan1

And since we now know Tevonn was playing with mono that night, we really didn't have our full team then, either. (Not saying this would have changed the outcome, but maybe we have a bit more respectable showing).

FWalum

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2018, 03:04:30 PM
IMO this thread does a disservice to the program. I have little doubt that our players and recruits and their families and friends follow the board to some degree. There's no reason to think otherwise. As a proponent of free speech, I'm not suggesting the thread be closed, but I do think that our second year coach that won the HL last year despite losing Jubril early and Alec late, and who started his 2nd season 8-0 before losing his highest rated player deserves a lot more respect than the premise of this thread gives him.
Well said, I was a little more blunt. Going through a similar situation with a high school program I am quasi-connected to, so my patience is running a little thin.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

"I like criticism. It makes you strong." --LeBron James

"The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." --Norman Vincent Peale

SanityLost17

I think Lottich deserves a fair amount of criticism.  Lets look back to Milwaukee last year.  They had very little talent and look how well they progressed from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.   Through great coaching they were able to overcome their deficiencies and compete with more talented programs.  Lottich has been unable to overcome thus far.  We are yet to win a game this season that we were not supposed to win, and that is a problem!     

On the other side.  We went 9-7 in the Horizon league Alec Peter's freshman year.  Imagine we would have been in the MVC that year....  How many conference games would we have won?   3 games? maybe 4?  maybe 5?   So,  perhaps it is a little early to be super hard on Lottich as Bryce would have likely struggled just as much as Lottich is currently struggling.   

In conclusion, I think Lottich could still be the man, he just needs some time to figure things out.   At the same time I think it is fair to conclude he is not an instant star/sensation where everything he touches turns to gold.  (example:  Chris Holtmann at Butler/Ohio State -->  In both cases previously dominant programs were struggling with their current coaches and he took over and had instant success)

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 30, 2018, 08:48:51 AM

LeBron James is also a guy who congratulates himself on instagram before the accomplishment ever happens. Great player but a poor leader. Just look at the Cavs this season... It's hard to take any quote seriously from someone as petty as LeBron.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/955831147833028608

ml2

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 30, 2018, 09:52:12 AM
On the other side.  We went 9-7 in the Horizon league Alec Peter's freshman year.  Imagine we would have been in the MVC that year....  How many conference games would we have won?   3 games? maybe 4?  maybe 5?   So,  perhaps it is a little early to be super hard on Lottich as Bryce would have likely struggled just as much as Lottich is currently struggling.   

Obviously you can't infer too much from one game, but it does add a little context to note that the 13-14 team lost on the road at Evansville. That Evansville team finished in 9th place in the MVC with a record of 6-12. The only team to finish behind Evansville was (current conference leader) Loyola at 4-14. It was the Ramblers first year in the MVC after moving from the Horizon.

wh

"The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." --Norman Vincent Peale

No one is questioning the value of constructive criticism. That said, not all criticism is constructive. Criticizing specific coaching decisions and results is fair game. Publicly questioning whether we have the right coach the first time results head south is not only not constructive, it's potentially damaging for the reasons I mentioned previously. Understanding that difference shouldn't be rocket science.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on January 30, 2018, 12:58:53 PM

No one is questioning the value of constructive criticism. That said, not all criticism is constructive. Criticizing specific coaching decisions and results is fair game. Publicly questioning whether we have the right coach the first time results head south is not only not constructive, it's potentially damaging for the reasons I mentioned previously. Understanding that difference shouldn't be rocket science.

I'll 2nd that, resoundingly.

elephtheria47

It was/is an honest question. We have been talking about it in my area of section c before it was brought to the board. Hell, this could have been a positive thread if people came here and said Yes! He is the man! I do hope he proves that he is the man. I think it is premature to have a decision one way or the other but think it's certainly worth asking/talking about. As others have said, a mid major' s margin of error is razor thin. And while yes it was a rebuilding year, this team is just so difficult to watch. Once apathy starts setting in on a fan base, it's difficult to overcome. Curious to see what the attendance is like tonight.

oklahomamick

I think one has to question the hire as well....Dont attack me yet, hear me out.  We were coming off of 5 championships in 6 years with wins over power5 and ranked teams.  The program was entering a top 10 league as well.  Perfect opportunity to hire a proven-successful coach that will bring an experienced staff?  Unwards and upwards.  From what I understand, Matt was 2nd or 3rd choice.  I get it, the program wanted someone who had been with Valpo (2 years) and Matt had a great playing career.  Let's add that Matt is also a stand up guy with great character.  Made since.....   But maybe a missed opportunity to hire a Scott Naggy or John Brannen.
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

When we hired Matt we were still in the Horizon League.

bigmosmithfan1

This is true. Remember how some folks were arguing last pring we shouldn't leave because the Valley wasn't that much better than the HL? Ha... I think we see how much we were propped up by the HL's soft underbelly the past several years.

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 31, 2018, 08:17:10 AMFrom what I understand, Matt was 2nd or 3rd choice.  I get it, the program wanted someone who had been with Valpo (2 years) and Matt had a great playing career.  Let's add that Matt is also a stand up guy with great character.  Made since.....   But maybe a missed opportunity to hire a Scott Naggy or John Brannen.
Since it was first reported with any real "confirmation" that Bryce was going to take the Vanderbilt job on April 4th and then officially announced on April 6th, I don't think we really had time to approach anyone other than Roger Powell, since literally the next day on April 7th we announced that Matt was our new head coach.  We were always going to stay "in program".  If you heard anything else I would be interested to know details.

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 31, 2018, 01:38:44 PM
When we hired Matt we were still in the Horizon League.
Matt has had a lot put on his plate. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Hey, Oklahoma, if Matt was our 2nd or 3rd choice, who were the earlier choices?  Just curious.

oklahomamick

From what I understand, Powell then Gore.  I could be wrong....correct if so.  But the point is why did we have to hire from within? And I totally support Matt but that may change in 2 years....
CRUSADERS!!!

elephtheria47

IMO, to that point, it's a lot easier to "cover" for a new coach in the horizon league as well until they get their feet wet. The coaches in the MVC are head and shoulders better than the coaches in the HL.  That's the big difference between a league who doesn't really care about bball and one who invests in bball.

Just looked at conference RPI.  The HL dropped all the way down to 26 (out of 32). Gross. The MVC is currently 8th.

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 31, 2018, 04:40:21 PM
From what I understand, Powell then Gore.  I could be wrong....correct if so.  But the point is why did we have to hire from within? And I totally support Matt but that may change in 2 years....

Sure and that is why Luke had that very disappointed yet supportive look on his face when Matt was announced.  That is crazy and in addition Luke has said that his goal is to be a head coach.  Look, the idea to hire from within is based on the Butler model which has worked very well and in a league even better that the Valley!  And don't say the latest coach wasn't from "within".  He was a Butler guy and player.

Enough already!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

VU72 you going off of facial expressions?  You must be a great card player too?  You think that was the first time Gore heard Matt was being hired as head coach?  That's sweet.  But be realistic.  Gore has been on campus for a very very long time, hired and endorsed by the Drews.  Looking at the coaching tree and hierarchy, Gore was next man up after Powell. 

We blame our struggles on youth and inexperience.  Well so is coach. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Luke should transition to the Head Coach of Womens Basketball and stay in the Valpo Family.  By doing this we can develop synergy between the two programs.  Think he can coach the bigs? 

Plus his personality is great for recruiting.  Just watching and listening to him, and having a daughter who played sports, Luke would be fantastic.

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 30, 2018, 09:52:12 AM
I think Lottich deserves a fair amount of criticism.  Lets look back to Milwaukee last year.  They had very little talent and look how well they progressed from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.   Through great coaching they were able to overcome their deficiencies and compete with more talented programs.  Lottich has been unable to overcome thus far.  We are yet to win a game this season that we were not supposed to win, and that is a problem!     

Fake News! Milwaukee literally didn't win a game in February last year, and lost their last 9 regular season games. It's absurd to say they progressed from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 31, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
VU72 you going off of facial expressions?  You must be a great card player too?  You think that was the first time Gore heard Matt was being hired as head coach?  That's sweet.  But be realistic.  Gore has been on campus for a very very long time, hired and endorsed by the Drews.  Looking at the coaching tree and hierarchy, Gore was next man up after Powell. 

We blame our struggles on youth and inexperience.  Well so is coach. 

Not at all.  You said that Luke was the second choice.  If so, why in the world wouldn't he have taken it?  Perhaps you meant to say it was Drew's second choice and he/they were over ruled by Mark?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I think that some of that might have been about whether Luke was going to go with Drew or now when he left. Didn't he ask him?

The reality seems to be that Drew's acceptance of the Vandy job happened quickly and chaotically and there was concern Drew was going to take most of the coaching staff with him. It could be that they offered Matt because Gore wasn't sure if he was going to stay?

I have heard from some people that maybe the announcement and decision to leave wasn't handled well in regards to clear communications. I don't know if the news leaked too early and Bryce wasn't quite ready to talk to the team or he was still having convos with assts about who he'd take with him but I know there were some concerns that there was a bit too much radio silence from Bryce that increased the chaos.

vu72

Here is the news conference itself.  At 14:38 you will hear Mark LaBarbera discuss the process which had been covered and in place for a few years as Bryce flirted with other jobs. Perhaps as 05 mentioned, Luke wasn't sure he was going to stay as he is from Tennessee.  In that case Matt could have been the second choice but I doubt it.

https://youtu.be/qvMfx2qfzps?t=881

oklahomamick

it's less important rather Matt was 2nd choice or 3rd choice when considering experience.
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

I can't believe we are rehashing this midseason. It's not even like the guy has done a horrendous job. I'd actually say far from it. A few years from now we might be looking back at this thread and saying, "what the heck were we thinking?". It's fair to critique coaching decisions but we have to give him time to prove himself.