• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Dean of the Business School

Started by vu72, September 20, 2011, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Tom Boyt stepped down last year for medical reasons and when he returns he will not be the Dean but rather a Professor of Marketing.

I've not seen a replacement announced.  Anybody know what's up??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

i don't know much, other than it was based on personal reasons. personally, i do hope that whoever takes over will support the ROTC programs as much as dean boyt did. but it would also be nice to see some of the other deans take on parts of the role that he played as a high-level advocate of the programs.

valpopal

In related news, it was announced today that Kraig Olejniczak, Dean of the College of Engineering, has decided to step down as dean, take a year leave, and come back as a faculty member. The search for a new dean of engineering for the start of next year will begin.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on September 20, 2011, 12:37:28 PM
In related news, it was announced today that Kraig Olejniczak, Dean of the College of Engineering, has decided to step down as dean, take a year leave, and come back as a faculty member. The search for a new dean of engineering for the start of next year will begin.

Wow! A bit shocking.  We now have lost two very bright leaders as Deans.  fortunately they will be returning to the faculty.  Good luck to both Tom and Craig.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Both deans were great leaders at Valpo. I thought very highly of both, so it is sad to see them step down.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

mj

You wonder why both stepped down within the past year. Maybe Heckler wants to bring in his own people?
I believe that we will win.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: mj on September 20, 2011, 10:10:24 PM
You wonder why both stepped down within the past year. Maybe Heckler wants to bring in his own people?

well Dean Boyt definitely had medical issues, so I'm guessing that Dean O stepping down is just a coincidence.

agibson

And it sounds like they were fairly well spaced.  There's already an interim in place for business, so I guess that vacancy came up at least some months ago?

Engineering was just announced, and presumably he'll stick around until the targeted start date of the new person, which can be as late as Fall 2012.

So, I don't see any reason to suspect a connection.

I'm not sure how deeply down into the academic workings of a university the president tends to delve.  I wouldn't expect them to have much to do with hiring faculty.  I might have guessed that hiring a Dean was more like hiring a faculty member than it was like hiring a Provost or VP.  But, I don't know for sure.

vu72

okinawatyphoon

The new dean sounds qualified, but he's not starting until mid-2012. I hope he can continue to raise the profile of the school!

valporun

okinawa, while you would want the new dean to start January 2, 2012, it is common for new deans to start in July of the upcoming year, if hired mid-academic year, so as to keep the new hire from messing up current academic year's teaching philosophy for the department. I wasn't a business student, but I hope he does well with increasing the value of a business degree and the networking capacities of all business majors, regardless of the specific area of business the student(s) pursue.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on September 20, 2011, 12:37:28 PM
Sorry to hear this, but glad he will be back.  I'm sure it was time for something new for Dean Ole, and maybe someone new within the position of Dean.  What were the term lengths of the previous Engineering Deans?

Ralph

Quote from: covufan on December 07, 2011, 03:41:25 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 20, 2011, 12:37:28 PMIn related news, it was announced today that Kraig Olejniczak, Dean of the College of Engineering, has decided to step down as dean, take a year leave, and come back as a faculty member. The search for a new dean of engineering for the start of next year will begin.
Sorry to hear this, but glad he will be back.  I'm sure it was time for something new for Dean Ole, and maybe someone new within the position of Dean.  What were the term lengths of the previous Engineering Deans?

I nominate Michael Behrns-Miller as new Dean of Engineering.

johnny_fetla

Ralph, don't you think the commute would be too long?  I would consider Dr. Lisa McCool or even Erik Hromadka, both of whom are very experienced and are former alumni. ;D

bbtds

Quote from: johnny_fetla on December 09, 2011, 09:18:50 PM
Ralph, don't you think the commute would be too long?  I would consider Dr. Lisa McCool or even Erik Hromadka, both of whom are very experienced and are former alumni. ;D

How does someone become a former alumnus?

johnny_fetla

Poor choice of words neighbor.  Erik is CEO of Global Water Technologies.  That there should turn on the lights and wake VU up.  Quite qualified interesting chap he is!!!!

valpo04

covufan

Quote from: valpo04 on December 10, 2011, 11:58:56 AM

:rotfl: :thewave:

moodboom

Quote from: Ralph on December 09, 2011, 07:50:45 PMI nominate Michael Behrns-Miller as new Dean of Engineering.

I humbly and belatedly accept this overwhelming honor.  Thank you my friends, this groundswell of support is the fuel of my inspiration.  With one foot planted firmly in the philosopher's domain and another in the engineer's, I pledge to bring force to simultaneously answering both WHY and HOW.  We shall immediately divert all student energy into work on interstellar drive technology.  I will try to remember to post followups here following all major breakthroughs.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on September 21, 2011, 12:38:30 PM
And it sounds like they were fairly well spaced.  There's already an interim in place for business, so I guess that vacancy came up at least some months ago?

Engineering was just announced, and presumably he'll stick around until the targeted start date of the new person, which can be as late as Fall 2012.

So, I don't see any reason to suspect a connection.

I'm not sure how deeply down into the academic workings of a university the president tends to delve.  I wouldn't expect them to have much to do with hiring faculty.  I might have guessed that hiring a Dean was more like hiring a faculty member than it was like hiring a Provost or VP.  But, I don't know for sure.

Announced today: acting dean of engineering Eric Johnson will be the permanent replacement:

http://www.valpo.edu/news/2013/01/07/valparaiso-university-appoints-dean-to-the-college-of-engineering/