• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Parker Hazen is transferring, per Paul Oren

Started by VU2014, March 21, 2018, 05:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2010

"Put me on the list wondering what the coaching staff saw that made them think he was a starter in November and not worthy of garbage time minutes in January/February."

Bingo. And, the Union Street Hoops interview didn't help matters. But, that's another story. How anyone can evaluate his performance from the sample size we saw is absurd.

He averaged a minute per game, people. Please. What was seen in him to start him 12 games and then bench him? And previously when asked about why he finally made it in a game and Coach said oh we were up by 20, that's why. So sad. I give Parker SO much credit for staying positive after that remark. Wish him the best. Hope he uses the shameful words said about him as fuel to prove the haters wrong and deliver on the court. Just wait and see...

mj

I had high hopes for Hazen, so it's disappointing to see him leave.

I guess we'll know in a few years whether Coach Lottich made the right call. I'm guessing they saw something in practice that made them think Hazen wouldn't be able contribute in the MVC.
I believe that we will win.

vu72

I think part of the problem was the departure of Joe Burton.  He was expected to be our top scorer and was is several games when he was here.  After Joe left, Matt needed to find guys who could put it in the basket.  Parker just wasn't that guy.  Of the 13 (pretty sure) games he started--included the last one against Indiana State, he scored 0 in 7 of those games and 2 in another 2 games.  His top production was 8 points against a non D1. 

Matt was faced with trying Mileek and then Kiser at his spot.  As to why he didn't see the floor later in the year, well how many games in conference were we substantial ahead?  Heck, how many games in conference did we even win?  There just wasn't an opportunity for the coaches to allow him to develop.

I too hope he lands at a school where there is room for him to mature.  He is a very good athlete.  Perhaps with a couple of years in the gym and on the weights he will become a good player at the college level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bigmosmithfan1

Quoteshow that he could play at this level over the first 15+ games, and he just didn't cut it.

Ok, this take is utterly ridiculous. A true freshman only has the first half of their first season to prove themselves? Good luck selling that to recruits.

covufan

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 22, 2018, 10:27:58 AMPut me on the list wondering what the coaching staff saw that made them think he was a starter in November and not worthy of garbage time minutes in January/February.

I'm sure what they saw in practice was a strong work ethic and athleticism.  These thing put him on the starters list.  His performance in games relegated himself to the end of the bench.  Just my humble opinion.

crusader05

I feel like maybe this was a situation of too high of expectations for the kid. He came in after a huge Junior year but even by his senior I think his production dropped (although I think he was played out of position). But, I believe he was recruited as an instant contributor and that might have caused a big struggle in expectations and reality for both us as fans as well as himself and the coaching staff.

He was recruited to be a key player, not a project and so where he fits on the team changes a bit when it doesn't work out.

Also, to correct an assumption I posted earlier, I thought that you could play minimally and still get a red shirt but I forgot that only relates to injuries.

vuny98

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 22, 2018, 02:03:58 PM
Quoteshow that he could play at this level over the first 15+ games, and he just didn't cut it.
Ok, this take is utterly ridiculous. A true freshman only has the first half of their first season to prove themselves? Good luck selling that to recruits.

Struggling is one thing. Looking completely over matched and showing a lack of confidence on the floor is another. I wish he would have gotten more opportunities to play, but there are other guys that showed more and we were "in" most games throughout the year. Sure there was some garbage time at the end of several games he could have been slotted into (and probably should have been). But at the end of the day, the fact is he had his opportunity and lost it.

mj

Seems like there are some similarities between Chris Halvorsen and Hazen.
I believe that we will win.

VU2014

Knowing the way this coaching staff operates they won't promise any kids that they will start. They will tell them they will have a strong opportunity to start and earn minutes, but nothing is ever going to be guaranteed to someone. Parker talked publicly about knowing AP and Jubril were graduating and said he wanted to replace them at the 4.

Let's not sugar coat it. Parker did not play well at all. He would probably acknowledge that. He was given a lot of chances throughout the beginning of the season to earn more minutes but he just didn't play well. It's not a surprise that he got buried on the benched at that point. It is curious that he start those string of games in the non-conference. My theory on that is that the coaches realized just how raw Mileek was and they may have realized at some point in the preseason that Marty was not ready to play 4 with one of the two 7-footers. I also think they may have been trying to build his confidence by giving him minutes but it never started clicking. Like covufan said, the coaches may have wanted to reward him for his work ethic in practice. Mileek earned minutes even if it wasn't pretty at times.

He has the physical tools but his skills just looked so raw. I hope he finds the right fit and get's the opportunity to hone his skills. I do think he has potential. I think the real problem was that we relied up 2 freshman to play the 4 this season. I know they were going to try Burton as a undersized stretch 4 but once he left the team it really left a glaring hole that forced us to rely on freshman.

VU2010

"Struggling is one thing. Looking completely over matched and showing a lack of confidence on the floor is another. I wish he would have gotten more opportunities to play, but there are other guys that showed more and we were "in" most games throughout the year. Sure there was some garbage time at the end of several games he could have been slotted into (and probably should have been). But at the end of the day, the fact is he had his opportunity and lost it."

I watched every game. Idk where you get this from. What kind of a sample size are you all using to judge how overmatched he was? He averaged 1 minutes per game?!?!?!?

I'd like to see what ANY player can do in 1 minute? Seriously. Excuses... excuses.... excuses 😷

a3uge

Quote from: VU2010 on March 22, 2018, 08:19:14 PM
"Struggling is one thing. Looking completely over matched and showing a lack of confidence on the floor is another. I wish he would have gotten more opportunities to play, but there are other guys that showed more and we were "in" most games throughout the year. Sure there was some garbage time at the end of several games he could have been slotted into (and probably should have been). But at the end of the day, the fact is he had his opportunity and lost it."

I watched every game. Idk where you get this from. What kind of a sample size are you all using to judge how overmatched he was? He averaged 1 minutes per game?!?!?!?

I'd like to see what ANY player can do in 1 minute? Seriously. Excuses... excuses.... excuses [emoji40]

He played 8 minutes per game, not 1. Total of 175 minutes. Not to pile on him and beat a dead horse, but he had the second worst PER in the entire country among players with at least 175 minutes played. He had the worst offensive rating in the country with at least 175 min played. He had the 5th worst turnover percentage in the country. His defensive rating was the worst on the team. He was the only player on the team with a negative win share.

My gripe with the coaches was that they kept playing him, despite him playing terribly. I was shocked they kept starting him game after game, expecting to get different results.

I wish him well, and hope he wakes up with some confidence once day, but typically you don't go from one of the worst players in the country to role player for a tournament team a few years later. I found one player in the past 5 years that finished with a PER over 10 after a season with a PER under -1. Almost half of these players either  transferred or dropped out of D1, and the majority played minimal minutes.

Valpo needs guys that play with confidence and can score. I'm confident they can fill the spot with a transfer that isn't afraid to shoot an open three after getting the ball.

valpotx

Quote from: VU2010 on March 22, 2018, 08:19:14 PM

I'd like to see what ANY player can do in 1 minute? Seriously. Excuses... excuses.... excuses 😷

Guys, he was a total non-factor in all games that he played, except the exhibition game that he did well.  The fact is that he was going to play the same amount of minutes next year, so yes, he missed his chance.  He had all of the chances in the world over the first half of the season, and he squandered it.  He looked lost on the court at all times.  I don't doubt his heart or desire, but he didn't demonstrate D-1 talent in those minutes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2010

Per Michael Osipoff, "He [Parker Hazen] played a total of 23 minutes in their final 20 games."

Y'all should be nba scouts if you can draw all these comments from that sample size down the stretch of
a player's freshman season. I'm not a betting person but I guess you all should be because that's truly amazing. Hats off to all.

a3uge

Quote from: VU2010 on March 23, 2018, 09:31:38 PM
Per Michael Osipoff, "He [Parker Hazen] played a total of 23 minutes in their final 20 games."

Y'all should be nba scouts if you can draw all these comments from that sample size down the stretch of
a player's freshman season. I'm not a betting person but I guess you all should be because that's truly amazing. Hats off to all.

Wait, why aren't we allowed to evaluate him on the preceding 152 minutes?

valpotx

You don't need to be an NBA scout to see what several of us are saying.  Don't get me wrong, I hope that he transfers somewhere and lights it up.  However, he had plenty of opportunities to show what he was capable of doing, and he turned down each opportunity.  He didn't want to shoot wide open shots, he didn't play inside, etc.  It has nothing to do with being a FR.  Plenty of FR have been given limited minutes at Valpo, but at least showed SOMETHING in those minutes.  Hardly any of those past players were given the starting nod that Parker was given, and did nothing with it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

Per Valpo's stats page he averaged 8.3 minutes overall, 2.5 minutes in conference play.  He wasn't going to play here, best of luck to him wherever he lands.

justducky

Quote from: M on March 23, 2018, 10:37:27 PMHe wasn't going to play here, best of luck to him wherever he lands.
I still think he has D-1 potential and might catch on somewhere as a future contributor. That said the limits of his upside are now known and he would not have found major minutes in 18-19.

I also wish him well and hope we follow him closely enough to witness his progress.

VU2014

I think Parker has potential and is going to be a D1 player but the coaches were honest with him about what they thought his role would be next season and he chose to go somewhere else where he could have a bigger role. Hopefully he finds the right fit somewhere and takes advantage of his opportunity.

Just Sayin

Hopefully when this kid was recruited he wasn't made any promises that he could start. Some coaches do that. Not saying Matt did that but it could be the reason he kept him as starter for so long when it was obvious he had no business being one. Good coaches don't make promises like that.

Pgmado

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 24, 2018, 04:11:57 PM
Hopefully when this kid was recruited he wasn't made any promises that he could start. Some coaches do that. Not saying Matt did that but it could be the reason he kept him as starter for so long when it was obvious he had no business being one. Good coaches don't make promises like that.

I believe the only player that Valparaiso has made that promise to in the last 20 years was Ali Berdiel. After that disaster Homer said he'd never guarantee that to a player again.

VU2014

He wasn't promised anything other then the opportunity to earn a significant role. Parker read the tea leaves of AP & JA graduating and thought he'd be able to play a significant role. He was given opportunities early on and it just didn't work out.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2018, 04:31:04 PM

He wasn't promised anything other then the opportunity to earn a significant role. Parker read the tea leaves of AP & JA graduating and thought he'd be able to play a significant role. He was given opportunities early on and it just didn't work out.

Certain of that?  Love the passion but be realistic unless you know for certain please.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 24, 2018, 07:09:00 PM
Certain of that?  Love the passion but be realistic unless you know for certain please.

I haven't directly asked about the Parker situation but I've talked to Coach Gore about guaranteeing recruits starting jobs in the past and he said they didn't do that. It was when Bryce was still coaching here but I'd imagine they still have that policy.

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 24, 2018, 07:09:00 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2018, 04:31:04 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 24, 2018, 04:11:57 PMHopefully when this kid was recruited he wasn't made any promises that he could start. Some coaches do that. Not saying Matt did that but it could be the reason he kept him as starter for so long when it was obvious he had no business being one. Good coaches don't make promises like that.

Be realistic? Come on man.

Posters are speculating all over the place and you're the protector of the absolute certainty? So it's ok to speculate and imply that Lottich isn't a good coach in the post because of the speculation above the one you responded to yet when another poster offers another opinion he has to be absolutely correct....oh yeah...please.

Maybe the kid was a practice player who's play didn't translate to games. He wouldn't be the first. Who knows?

FWalum

Heard last night that Parker Hazen has made a decision on his new team and it should be announced publicly in the near future.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show