• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football vs. Morehead

Started by setshot, September 27, 2011, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

38-14 final.  Only 50 some rush yards.  Keep on working and improving.  They'll get there eventually.

TripleT

Clearly, someone of you weren't in attendance at the game on Saturday.  If so you'd realize a few things:

Carlson is not only using Freshman/RS Freshman, that's just his excuse; perhaps to cover his base (or even his job).  Check out the roster #3, #4, #8 and #89 are upperclassman and not ONE of them made any plays.  Carlson is sticking with the same players with limited talent that have been dragging this team in the mud for years. Where are the leaders, the playmakers?  Well they're on the team and certainly some of them are true freshman like #84, #5 and #44.  But just watching the body language on Saturday it's obvious they are frustrated and disengaged.

Secondly, it was homecoming and the stands were filled with alumni.  If Carlson believes he needs donors and benefactors to help support the program, well he blew that.  Why would anyone toss money at a program where the coaching staff (and players) are struggling?  Heck, he didn't even realize the need to make any changes to the offense even thought the QB and offense couldn't advance the ball at all. This is Carlson's 2nd year and he has YET to bring in at least one win. 

I often visit Valpo for a few games and I'm an avid college football fan.  I was at the game on Saturday with a few friends that happen to be alumni of the University.  I've been hopeful for Valpo and in fact I like to see the underdog finally win one. But after Saturdays game I have to be realistic, its not gonna happen under Carlson.  He can only blame the players so much at some point he needs to take a look in the mirror.

The best coach regardless of the players can produce a win.  Well, in this case it won't happen this year as Valpo will clearly be 0-11 – AGAIN.

Football Fan

???I agree...unfortunately, it is more of the same.  After watching this team for the past two years, I wonder why the coach isn't looking at his stats and seeing...yes, some freshmen are doing some good things.....but what about those kids who have paid their dues and play well, then get mothballed for whatever reason?

I respectufully suggest that you look at who can throw, who can run the ball, who can catch the ball, and who can run down the other team's offense........put those young men on the field.  They are there....we see flashes of them.  Coupled with the youngsters, something good could happen.  Do you have the best kids on the field for special teams?

Look around coach........look at the sidelines where some of your best players are platooned.  They could be utilized to help this team win.  Young isn't always better.  Analyze the stats and see who is going forward, who is getting the job done.  Use them.......or, unfortunately, you will lose them if they continue to be sidelined by youngsters.

Football Fan

From VU 72:
"Not to make excuses, but we do need to keep the following in mind:

Our leading Rusher:  Gabe Ali-Eli       Freshman

Our leading Passer:  Eric Hoffman  Freshman

Our leading Receiver:  Tanner Kuramata  Freshman

Our leading All Purpose:  Kelven Smarwt  Freshman

Add to that that our leading tackler today was John Edwards with 16. And he is a:  yep, you guessed it, a Freshman

Patience, I think will be at a premium, but you can see that the cupboard was pretty empty."

I believe there are some powerful ingredients on the shelves in that football closet.  All the cook has to do is learn how to mix the ingredients. 

milanmiracle

My concern has been this since day 1...

Is he trying to make lasagna when he has ingredients for beef stew? I have some concerns with "system" coaches that can only play one style regardless of the abilities and skills of the players on the roster.

Are the players given the best chance to win the next game they play (not next year)?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

Who is to say the older players are better than the younger ones?  Based on the previous season before Carlson, we weren't winning games with those players either.  We have to remember that SO, JR, and SR classes were recruited by the previous coach, which really led to last year and this year.  It is very common for a new coach to play those that he recruited, but I am sure considerations were given to the more experienced players before playing FR/SO.
"Don't mess with Texas"