• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on July 10, 2018, 08:45:47 AM
Official announcement of Townsend and Holloway is out: http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2018-19/18299/townsend-holloway-join-valpo-mens-basketball-coaching-staff/

The big winner in this news (besides Matt Lottich for getting his friend on staff and the VU program for securing two quality assistants) is Paul Oren. Townsend's presence increases all the more the likelihood that we'll play a continuing series with UW-Milwaukee. Even in their current state, it's a fine series to keep as long as they're replacing the non-D1s.

VUGrad1314

Townsend played for Crean... Fingers crossed for a Home and Home with Georgia. I mean if Illinois State can get Ole Miss and Murray State can get Auburn, the idea shouldn't be totally inconceivable.

VUGrad1314

His link to Jordan may bring Butler into play as well.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 10, 2018, 09:12:34 AM

If Coach Townsend could make that series happen, he'd be worth his weight in gold. But I'm a bit of a pessimist on it working out. Something tells me that even if LaVal wanted that series to happen, one of his higher ups put the kabosh on that series.

The UWM series on the other hand could probably get worked out with or without Coach Townsend reaching out. I'm sure the UWM coaches would like to play a MVC team and a former "rival". I believe Valpo fans gave UWM them their highest attend home game a few years ago.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 10, 2018, 09:12:34 AM

Yeah I don't know if their link is that strong, otherwise why was he the one full-time assistant that he had at UWM (Will Vergollo and Omar Lowery were the others) that didn't follow him to Butler and instead was out of coaching last year?  That was also the only year they ever worked together. 

Plus Butler's not going to do a home and home with Valpo, and Valpo won't accept a buy game, so I don't see a matchup happening until Valpo makes several tourneys in a small time window (similar to what Butler had to do to get former conference foe Xavier to agree to home and homes).

Now his link to Crean is very real, as he played for them and was on Crean's staff at Marquette for 2 years.  I don't know if that's enough to bring Georgia to the ARC, as Crean loved padding his win total while he was at IU with a cupcake non-conference schedule.

bigmosmithfan1

We shouldn't (and likely won't) schedule any games against teams that are currently suing us. Full stop.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on July 10, 2018, 10:13:31 AM
We shouldn't (and likely won't) schedule any games against teams that are currently suing us. Full stop.

Other sports have.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 10, 2018, 10:09:56 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 10, 2018, 09:12:34 AMHis link to Jordan may bring Butler into play as well.
Yeah I don't know if their link is that strong, otherwise why was he the one full-time assistant that he had at UWM (Will Vergollo and Omar Lowery were the others) that didn't follow him to Butler and instead was out of coaching last year?  That was also the only year they ever worked together. Plus Butler's not going to do a home and home with Valpo, and Valpo won't accept a buy game, so I don't see a matchup happening until Valpo makes several tourneys in a small time window (similar to what Butler had to do to get former conference foe Xavier to agree to home and homes). Now his link to Crean is very real, as he played for them and was on Crean's staff at Marquette for 2 years.  I don't know if that's enough to bring Georgia to the ARC, as Crean loved padding his win total while he was at IU with a cupcake non-conference schedule.

I think you can tell by now that I  just want that series back and will look for any hope of it possibly restarting. Fair points on Crean. However, his reason for not following LaVall may well be the same reason many speculate  he didn't join Lottich's staff when Matt was originally hired at Valpo: his wife's career had her well-established in Milwaukee and the timing didn't feel right to make a move that far away. We're very glad to have him now though.

valpotx

Yep, I was there, as well.  Champagne got his @$$ kicked by big Wille, in a fairly brief exchange.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Some high praise for Coach Holloway! Coach Lottich also mentioned that he's considered a rising star in the profession. Coach Lottich has made some very astute and good hires in the past.

https://twitter.com/GordonVoit/status/1016732015008403457

ValpoDad89

i think these are 2 shrewd and great coaching selections by Matt. Up and comers are developed in these ranks and I think he hit a HR on both hires. Chicago will be fine now.

Definitely worth the wait.

VU2014

Question: So is Matt Bowmen going to be part of the staff in some capacity this upcoming season?

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on July 10, 2018, 08:31:31 PM
Question: So is Matt Bowmen going to be part of the staff in some capacity this upcoming season?

No, but Matt Bowen is a possibility.  ;)

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

It sounds like Bowen would be an excellent addition to the staff if he served as a similar coaching position as Chad Warner did the previous season as the 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator'. He's been an assistant under Gene Bartow and Homer Drew as well as having over a decade of head coaching experience.

historyman

I learned today that the answer is YES. Matt Bowen will not have the official title of asst coach but he will be on the sideline with the other coaches giving instruction to the players. He will fill the position of DBO on the staff but having been a head coach before he will have a title such as the one suggested by VU2014 above of "special asst to the head coach" or something in that kind of verbage.

Also I found out today through my well placed sources that the Vandy game is on. Vandy's AD said they will honor the Bryce contract with Valpo and will be playing at Valpo not this coming season but the 2019-20 season. Valpo will then play at Vandy in the 2020-21 season. Since Bryce was very close to some of the Valpo players that have recently graduated/exhausted their eligibility he didn't want to play against Valpo while "his" players were still in the Valpo program.

Go VU!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on July 11, 2018, 11:26:29 PM

I learned today that the answer is YES. Matt Bowen will not have the official title of asst coach but he will be on the sideline with the other coaches giving instruction to the players. He will fill the position of DBO on the staff but having been a head coach before he will have a title such as the one suggested by VU2014 above of "special asst to the head coach" or something in that kind of verbage.

Also I found out today through my well placed sources that the Vandy game is on. Vandy's AD said they will honor the Bryce contract with Valpo and will be playing at Valpo not this coming season but the 2019-20 season. Valpo will then play at Vandy in the 2020-21 season. Since Bryce was very close to some of the Valpo players that have recently graduated/exhausted their eligibility he didn't want to play against Valpo while "his" players were still in the Valpo program.

Go VU!

I guess that kinda makes sense.

IrishDawg

Makes complete sense, which is why I'd mentioned it in the schedule thread.  No coach wants to have to go up against his former players.  If this is the case I think he's doing Valpo a massive favor by giving them a home game with what should be their strongest team since he left. 

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 12, 2018, 09:17:00 AM

Makes complete sense, which is why I'd mentioned it in the schedule thread.  No coach wants to have to go up against his former players.  If this is the case I think he's doing Valpo a massive favor by giving them a home game with what should be their strongest team since he left. 

I'm already pumped for that game at the ARC! A bunch of alums will be coming back for that game! I think this game could break the St. Mary's game in terms of attendance if they allow a good amount of standing room only. This game will get the attention of the Region because the native son Bryce Drew will be coming home. That game will no doubt be emotional for Bryce. So many Valpo connections on that Vandy staff.

VU2014

Sounds like the University is promoting the basketball program by handing out some free tickets at the golf course. Matt works for the Athletics Department.

https://twitter.com/ward_mrw/status/1017458581921304577

bbtds

I think you will find with the stud recruits that Bryce has added lately that Vandy will be much improved when Crusaders take on the Commodores in the 2019-20 season. No matter how much improved Valpo is in 19-20 season Vandy will probably be that much more improved also in that season. 

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on July 13, 2018, 10:01:19 AM

I think you will find with the stud recruits that Bryce has added lately that Vandy will be much improved when Crusaders take on the Commodores in the 2019-20 season. No matter how much improved Valpo is in 19-20 season Vandy will probably be that much more improved also in that season. 

Agreed. Bryce took over a shaky roster to begin with his first season and took that team to the tourney (I actually think IL St was more deserving than Vandy but that's a whole different discussion). Last season the roster was pretty bad after the graduation of Luke Kornet & Nolan Cressler. Bryce, Roger, Jake, and Casey have a stacked recruiting class coming in with two 5 star recruits. If Vanderbilt was an Adidas school they probably would have landed Romeo Langford over IU.

I think Vandy will be favored coming into that 2019-20 game but they'll be in our house and we should give them hell. TBH it's tough to project that far ahead.

IrishDawg

Quote from: bbtds on July 13, 2018, 10:01:19 AM

Neither Garland nor Shittu should around for the 19-20 campaign, as both are one and done level 5 stars in what is projected to be a very weak NBA draft in 2019.  Outside of those two, he's brought in Aaron Nesmith, who had a good, but not great offer list for a 4 star, and he's supplemented the rest of their roster with some transfers who are more likely to be role players than studs.  Saban Lee is a solid returning Sophomore guard, but it remains to be seen how much he improves this season.  The rest of the guys returning aren't even average offensive players (defensively Vandy was horrible last year).  I have no doubt that on paper Vanderbilt will be the more individually higher rated team, and that they will improve from their 12-20 campaign last season.  That doesn't mean (unless he pulls in a couple more 5 star talents) that Valpo shouldn't win that first matchup.  Even then, a team full of upperclassmen shouldn't fear anyone that comes into their building.