• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I've loved that kid from the get go. His enthusiasm and love of the game is infectious.

VU2014

I didn't catch the game but it looks like Team USA won again. Anyone know what the AIA stands for on the jersey's? Is that "Athletes in Action"? Anyone catch the last game? USA beat Chile, 92-79.

https://twitter.com/USATeam_/status/1022674300837486592

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on July 27, 2018, 10:13:35 AMAnyone know what the AIA stands for on the jersey's?

America Isolated Again??
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Love seeing the guys putting in the work. It's going to be a big prove it year for Jay. He surpassed expectations his Freshman season but it seemed like he "stalled" a bit last season but had some sporadic bigs games: Utah State, SIU, Loyola (game 2), UNCW.

It may have been a slightly disappointing season but it actually wasn't a bad one. There were highs and lows which should be expected from a underclassman big. There were some encouraging stat lines: eFG%: 54.5, PER: 15.9, FT%: 77.1%. If he could become a more consistent on defense and improve in the rebounding department he could be in for a very nice season. He shown the ability to be a strong defender at times.

https://twitter.com/JaumeSorolla/status/1023027842945359873

VUGrad1314

If we get a step forward from Sorolla we'll be in good shape this year.

wh

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on July 28, 2018, 09:45:23 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1023398079247118336

EPIC DUNK!!! This young man has such a bight future! Can't wait to see him play in the brown and gold this November!

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 28, 2018, 10:37:41 AM
Love seeing the guys putting in the work. It's going to be a big prove it year for Jay. He surpassed expectations his Freshman season but it seemed like he "stalled" a bit last season but had some sporadic bigs games: Utah State, SIU, Loyola (game 2), UNCW.

It may have been a slightly disappointing season but it actually wasn't a bad one. There were highs and lows which should be expected from a underclassman big. There were some encouraging stat lines: eFG%: 54.5, PER: 15.9, FT%: 77.1%. If he could become a more consistent on defense and improve in the rebounding department he could be in for a very nice season. He shown the ability to be a strong defender at times.

https://twitter.com/JaumeSorolla/status/1023027842945359873

Jay's defense is already pretty consistent.  I think we are still comparing him to Vashill who lead the nation in a defensive category.  Jay is a strong defender in my book.  I would rather have him on the floor than Smits.  I think we will see them flower this year....two nice change of style Centers with size.

valpotx

Jay looks like he is in phenomenal shape, per that IG photo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Even the centers seem to be working hard. This is fantastic! I'm getting excited because I'm getting the sense that the entire team--to the last man--is not happy with how last season went AT ALL and wants to do something about it in a big way. I'm still not going to revise my prediction upward out of respect for the depth and talent of the conference and  because we haven't seen them on the court yet; but I wouldn't blame a single Crusader fan for feeling pretty  optimistic right now.

VU2014

Anyone hear what happened? Maybe a last minute opportunity to earn a scholarship somewhere else popped up? Either way I wish him well.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1023951806693617665

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 30, 2018, 05:29:25 AM
Even the centers seem to be working hard. This is fantastic! I'm getting excited because I'm getting the sense that the entire team--to the last man--is not happy with how last season went AT ALL and wants to do something about it in a big way. I'm still not going to revise my prediction upward out of respect for the depth and talent of the conference and  because we haven't seen them on the court yet; but I wouldn't blame a single Crusader fan for feeling pretty  optimistic right now.

"Centers?" Not trying to sound picky, but what evidence have we seen that Derrik is working hard?

VUGrad1314

I guess I'm taking that one on faith based on his improved play at the end of the conference season.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 29, 2018, 04:00:29 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 28, 2018, 10:37:41 AMLove seeing the guys putting in the work. It's going to be a big prove it year for Jay. He surpassed expectations his Freshman season but it seemed like he "stalled" a bit last season but had some sporadic bigs games: Utah State, SIU, Loyola (game 2), UNCW. It may have been a slightly disappointing season but it actually wasn't a bad one. There were highs and lows which should be expected from a underclassman big. There were some encouraging stat lines: eFG%: 54.5, PER: 15.9, FT%: 77.1%. If he could become a more consistent on defense and improve in the rebounding department he could be in for a very nice season. He shown the ability to be a strong defender at times. https://twitter.com/JaumeSorolla/status/1023027842945359873
Jay's defense is already pretty consistent.  I think we are still comparing him to Vashill who lead the nation in a defensive category.  Jay is a strong defender in my book.  I would rather have him on the floor than Smits.  I think we will see them flower this year....two nice change of style Centers with size.

Rightly or wrongly and far or not, Vashil Fernandez set the standard by which the defense of all future Valpo centers will be judged by all who had the pleasure of having watched him play.

VU2014

I think Jay is a pretty good defender at times but he could be more consistent. He finds himself in compromising spots on defense sometimes, but sometimes it was caused by a misstep by a teammate on the court missing their defensive rotation. That's one thing I'm looking forward to about the next 2 seasons. The more guys play together on the court the fewer mistakes we should see on guys on defense. At mid-major level, cohesiveness and continuity is everything. In college hoops experience can overcome a talent gap between two teams on the court.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 30, 2018, 04:25:23 PM
I think Jay is a pretty good defender at times but he could be more consistent. He finds himself in compromising spots on defense sometimes, but sometimes it was caused by a misstep by a teammate on the court missing their defensive rotation. That's one thing I'm looking forward to about the next 2 seasons. The more guys play together on the court the fewer mistakes we should see on guys on defense. At mid-major level, cohesiveness and continuity is everything. In college hoops experience can overcome a talent gap between two teams on the court.
I've mainly observed his offense as hit or miss.  I don't recall condemning his D with any frequency.  Smits CONSTANTLY has me yelling at my tv screen to sit his _____.

I hope Jay's offense improves enough that we see Smits less this year.  I have more belief in Jay enveloping offensively than Smits learning how to use his feet on defense.

I'm not trying to belittle Smits, because he has great passion on offense.  But I've never felt he tries on defense, to the point that I find myself wishing for small ball despite having tremendous size advantages with him in the game.

Option 1: Sorolla
Option 2: Small ball
Option 3: Smits

vu72

I think Derrik made much better strides forward than J last year.  J didn't improve.  Derrik improved his range and added a hook shot. Can he make the additional improvement to make those shots consistent and play defense and rebound?  Let's give him a chance to show what he has worked on.  I still think a combo of these guys will give Coach the option of using Derrik's offense against smaller teams and perhaps J's defense with teams driving the lane.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Both centers seem to have somewhat of a ceiling on each end of the court. Jay could become a very strong defensive center but the offense may be somewhat limited (although I think he'll be efficient). Smits has a chance to be the best offensive centers we've had in a while (they are different players but Raitis Grafs (admittedly I never saw him play but I heard his ceiling was sky high)), but on defense he could be maddening to watch at times. If Smits could just become a average defender he could be in for a huge year. Smits was really coming into his own on the offensive side of the court the second half of the season. I'm excited to see both guys take the next step the next 2 years. Both guys have potential and have shown glimpses. Hopefully it all comes together for both.

valpotx

Yeah, let's not compare Jay or Smits to Raitis.  Not even close :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on July 30, 2018, 08:59:29 PM
Both centers seem to have somewhat of a ceiling on each end of the court. Jay could become a very strong defensive center but the offense may be somewhat limited (although I think he'll be efficient). Smits has a chance to be the best offensive centers we've had in a while (they are different players but Raitis Grafs (admittedly I never saw him play but I heard his ceiling was sky high)), but on defense he could be maddening to watch at times. If Smits could just become a average defender he could be in for a huge year. Smits was really coming into his own on the offensive side of the court the second half of the season. I'm excited to see both guys take the next step the next 2 years. Both guys have potential and have shown glimpses. Hopefully it all comes together for both.

What I found interesting is that Sorolla (110 O Rating) was much more efficient offensively than Smits (96.2 O Rating) was (the main reasons for this is Smits turned the ball over more and Sorolla is a better offensive rebounder), both overall and during the conference schedule. 

Smits had a couple of efficient games that stand out in the 2nd half of the year (Drake at home, at Illinois State), but he only had 5 conference games in which his offensive rating was over 100 (100 is considered average), whereas Sorolla had 12 games during conference play with an offensive rating over 100.

wh

Quote from: valpotx on July 31, 2018, 04:10:35 AM
Yeah, let's not compare Jay or Smits to Raitis.  Not even close :)

Put Raitis (any of his 4 seasons) on next year's roster, and he would play 30-35 minutes and Jay and Derrik the remaining 5-10 in any game where the outcome is in doubt.

Unfortunately, none of that matters. Our chances of winning a championship in the next 2 years is going to live or die with Jay and Derrik. If they play well, we will be hard to stop. If they continue with all the inconsistency and other issues, we will be in trouble. The MVC is just too darn good to be able to cover for a glaring weakness in 40 of 200 minutes.