• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on August 02, 2018, 10:29:25 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 02, 2018, 09:31:21 AM
https://twitter.com/MVCsports/status/1025019135883988994

Reggie Redbird is killing the Crusader right now. Our mascot could use a lot of help from the Valpo faithful.

Voting ends at 4:00 p.m. Eastern/3:00 p.m. Central

So our alumni based is going to defeat a state school?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 02, 2018, 11:05:00 AM
So our alumni based is going to defeat a state school?

Yeah the private schools don't have much of a chance to win this thing. It's always between SIU, ISUr, and MSU. I do find it funny that Valpo beat Indiana State which is a way bigger school lol.

NativeCheesehead

Would rather win the games.

VUGrad1314

We have a two year first round winning streak in the Mascot Challenge, which isn't too bad. We beat Bradley last year too. Looks like we'll be 0-2 all time against Reggie Redbird. It's okay though we have a better record against his basketball team having split with the Redbirds last year. It really is amazing how good we were especially at home, particularly  from the Indiana State home game onward. We absolutely whipped many of the best in the MVC. Last year we beat Bradley by  13 Illinois State by 16 Drake by  17 and SIU by 11. These teams all finished between 2-5 in the Valley. (granted the SIU and Drake wins were before the ISUb game but I will always look to that game as the turning point of the season where we really started to see the team's growth and improvement.

VUBBFan

[tweet]1025394461608747009[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

Should provide some good, invaluable game experience for him. Will be interesting to see how he looks.

wh

Should provide some good, invaluable game experience for him. Will be interesting to see how he looks
defensively.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 03, 2018, 12:57:05 PM[tweet]1025394461608747009[/tweet]

Anybody know how he fared?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 03, 2018, 10:23:51 PM
Anybody know how he fared?

I couldn't find any stats, but the team he's playing for is the "Experimental Netherlands"

VU2014

https://twitter.com/PostTribSports/status/1026595132894851073

'One of the better times of my life': Valparaiso's Markus Golder savors experience on way to gold medal in Brazil
Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune
August 6, 2018

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-markus-golder-st-0807-story.html

VUGrad1314

This article leaves me very excited and encouraged. The upperclassmen who have been here seem to understand their roles as leaders on and off the court in all facets, including as transmitters of the program culture so that it remains strong..

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 06, 2018, 05:39:01 PM
This article leaves me very excited and encouraged. The upperclassmen who have been here seem to understand their roles as leaders on and off the court in all facets, including as transmitters of the program culture so that it remains strong..

Encouraging to be sure.  On paper we have seven juniors.  In reality a grad transfer AND four guys who should be seniors.  That is an "old" team and one who needs to really step it up, big time.  The next two years are make it or break it time.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: VU2014 on August 06, 2018, 05:30:43 PM
https://twitter.com/PostTribSports/status/1026595132894851073

'One of the better times of my life': Valparaiso's Markus Golder savors experience on way to gold medal in Brazil
Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune
August 6, 2018

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-markus-golder-st-0807-story.html

Quote"I spent a lot of time on my ballhandling over the summer," Golder said

Music to my ears. If he can improve his ball handling then Golder has the chance to be a 1st Team MVC player by his Senior, maybe sooner if he really elevates his game next season. The tools are there and it sounds like the drive is there as well.

VU2014

I think Tom Davis has given VU some very disingenuous and some what vindictive coverage over the years, but I hate to hear of a guy losing his job. Local news coverage is very important and it's been shrinking rapidly the last few years. We are beyond lucky to have two great Valpo Basketball beat reporters in Paul and Michael. If you can't subscribe to the NWI Times or Post-Trib at least give them a click and share their articles on your social media to show your support of our beat writers.

https://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/1027980977690292224

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 10, 2018, 01:56:57 PM
I think Tom Davis has given VU some very disingenuous and some what vindictive coverage over the years, but I hate to hear of a guy losing his job. Local news coverage is very important and it's been shrinking rapidly the last few years. We are beyond lucky to have two great Valpo Basketball beat reporters in Paul and Michael. If you can't subscribe to the NWI Times or Post-Trib at least give them a click and share their articles on your social media to show your support of our beat writers.

Agreed, we are lucky to have the coverage we do from a small town perspective.  Was Tom Davis the reporter that many on this forum disliked?  Or was there a Mike ____?

IrishDawg

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 10, 2018, 02:46:54 PM
Agreed, we are lucky to have the coverage we do from a small town perspective.  Was Tom Davis the reporter that many on this forum disliked?  Or was there a Mike ____?

I know Tom Davis was one of them at the very least.  He made a lot of people at Butler upset this year too when he wrote an article questioning a recruit's maturity and intelligence for even visiting Wichita State, because the recruit didn't comprehend the academic value of the degree from Butler vs. one from Wichita State and was making a decision based solely on basketball, and he also couldn't understand why Butler was recruiting him in the first place.  The Butler coaching staff basically cut off his access to the program after that (the recruit chose Wichita State, and I honestly don't blame him).

Still hate for anyone to lose their job, even though I wouldn't necessarily say he's a good guy.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 10, 2018, 03:10:21 PM

I know Tom Davis was one of them at the very least.  He made a lot of people at Butler upset this year too when he wrote an article questioning a recruit's maturity and intelligence for even visiting Wichita State, because the recruit didn't comprehend the academic value of the degree from Butler vs. one from Wichita State and was making a decision based solely on basketball, and he also couldn't understand why Butler was recruiting him in the first place.  The Butler coaching staff basically cut off his access to the program after that (the recruit chose Wichita State, and I honestly don't blame him).

Still hate for anyone to lose their job, even though I wouldn't necessarily say he's a good guy.

Mike Hutton.  Who is more anti-VU?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 10, 2018, 03:50:28 PM
Quote from: IrishDawg on August 10, 2018, 03:10:21 PM

Mike Hutton.  Who is more anti-VU?

I wouldn't necessarily say Hutton was anti-VU.  I think the criticism of Hutton has more to do with his lack of research and generally poor reporting.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Asked a buddy from Ft Wayne and he said VU was never really mentioned in the paper locally.  In fact the first time he even heard of VU was high school junior year at a college fair.

Now this could be the case that high school and younger aren't big consumers of news.  Or is it possible that VU is truly unmentioned our in Ft Wayne?

I know we have some solid contributors from out that way, what are their thoughts on VU coverage in their local paper?  Maybe Indy can chime in too?

Growing up in Michigan and being Lutheran there was no time I came across VU.  It took football and track recruitment to learn the school even existed.  Later, after committing, my Lutheran pastor grand father had a lot to say but he didn't even actively talk about VU.

Suppose it's our tiny alumni base and lack of national marketing dollars.

valpo64

Yes, Tom Davis is the guy who had no use for Valpo.  He had blue Butler blood in his veins and thought he was above all in his coverage of BU hoops.  At least as of a few years ago the VU Sports Info  people told me that they would get info to the FW papers but basically it was disregarded and ignored.  We basically get no VU or MVC news here in Fort Wayne.  Davis, a BU grad, was the Butler reporter  for the News-Sentinel and had a column devoted to BU.  He was a

crusadermoe

Back to the article about Golder ---Lottich comments on his hard summer work sound very promising indeed!   

So often the most athletically gifted players struggle to develop the work ethic because it  comes easily.

I am speculating, but the Burton departure seemed to throw him off balance for several games.  New season..new start!

Go Markus!   

VUGrad1314

The Burton departure, coupled with the adjustment to MVC play, threw the whole team off-balance for several games. To their everlasting credit, they eventually got their legs under them and finished the season strong. Let's hope the trend of strong play continues. Go Valpo!

wh

I got my first paper route at age 10, delivering the Vidette Messenger in Valpo. I collected money from my customers every Friday night and paid my bill in person on Sat. mornings at the V-M office on Lincolnway. Had to learn where everyone wanted their paper left, and if I ever arrived later than usual, certain customers would let me know they were none too happy. :). Papers were a big deal in those days and it was fun playing a little part in something that seemed to be so important to grown-ups. :)

VU2014

Maybe this is Micah's year. From everything I've heard he's putting in all the work and he's looking good. He looks in the best shape I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/BBCHSBOYSHOOPS/status/1028820339202109443