• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Sucks to see him go through such a thing.  Makes sense why he was aggravated after coming out 3 minutes into his return.  My gut reaction was similar to others, where we thought it was due to playing time, but now it makes more sense.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

I don't know where this comment should be posted, but as far as the post-game pressers are concerned, the sound is terrible(at least on my computer).  They have a mike for Coach but none for the players.  It appears that sound problems are running rampant in the ARC these days.

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on December 08, 2018, 10:11:37 AM
I don't know where this comment should be posted, but as far as the post-game pressers are concerned, the sound is terrible(at least on my computer).  They have a mike for Coach but none for the players.  It appears that sound problems are running rampant in the ARC these days.

Speaking of technical problems, why does the overhead scoreboard always lag so far behind the action? It often takes five minutes or more just to update which players are on the court.

valpo64

That scoreboard problem has existed since the new board was installed.  A couple of years ago I asked  MLB why the board was not "in sync and he then said he wasn't aware that it was not "current"  as far as fouls, points, who is in the game, etc. go.  I guess he wasn't that concerned because the same problem still exists.  If you check the electronic board in the west side of the ARC(not the west side of the big overhead board) yiou will notice it give fouls etc as soon as they are called.  I also pointed that our to MLB, but.....and we are a Div 1 program?  Come on people lets get our house in order!

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on December 10, 2018, 10:06:10 AM
That scoreboard problem has existed since the new board was installed.  A couple of years ago I asked  MLB why the board was not "in sync and he then said he wasn't aware that it was not "current"  as far as fouls, points, who is in the game, etc. go.  I guess he wasn't that concerned because the same problem still exists.  If you check the electronic board in the west side of the ARC(not the west side of the big overhead board) yiou will notice it give fouls etc as soon as they are called.  I also pointed that our to MLB, but.....and we are a Div 1 program?  Come on people lets get our house in order!

I've noticed the same thing, as have others in my family and no doubt every regular. It stands out like a sore thumb. It's obvious no one over there has any pride of workmanship, or it would have been remedied long ago. Just like the garbled PA system and many other issues and eyesores. Apparently, that's supposed to add to the charm. Tone deaf amateur hour everywhere you look.

valpo64

And to some, the lack of AC is the biggest problem with the current ARC.

Valpo2013

The ARC just doesn't ooze any energy
The colors are bad...and other things that are obvious
And
When the place isn't packed like it was when we were playing Purdue or Butler or the conference championships....it becomes even more glaring....

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on December 11, 2018, 08:49:43 AM
https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1072503274455121920

The interview starts at 57:00.

https://www.facebook.com/WJOB.1230/videos/272815803429536/

Just listened to it.  Great to hear that this station will now be doing Valpo games live.  Great effort by Mark to get exposure to the Region.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo2013

any exposure is good-especially if its free
I dont understand though-why would the station do radio broadcasts?
Dont we already do that?
Is there a way to track how many people actually listen?

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 11, 2018, 09:43:33 AM
any exposure is good-especially if its free
I dont understand though-why would the station do radio broadcasts?
Dont we already do that?
Is there a way to track how many people actually listen?

They probably have a larger audience than WVUR. I'm sure they have some kind of analytic to estimate listenership.

crusader05

WJOB is the radio station of the region and the people who do the show are pretty connected with the local sports community so I think this is a great idea and can really get people to think more about going or even if it's just getting local sports coaches to talk about Valpo to their students as a good way to have easy access to what a DI program is like.

The thing I thought was most interesting was when Mark asked several people why they hadn't gone to a game yet when they were calling to win the tickets and they all seemed kinda baffled and couldn't give a good answer. It's proof that the biggest obstacle to change is that it's hard to move people from inaction to action and that getting people to decide to do something "new" even if it's on the surface something they would enjoy is always an uphill battle that takes a lot of concentrated effort. Obviously big name teams and final four appearances help, but those feel "special" so people come when what you really want is to cultivate Valpo Basketball games as a pretty normal activity for people in the region. That would probably mean targeting larger groups, businesses, schools, etc.

sliman

Except via the computer, WVUR can't be received west of the Lake-Porter county line and WJOB has long been the region station that carries sports broadcasts of local interests.  Probably the best opportunity to get Lake County listeners and, as pointed out, one step in a process of developing new interests among them.

VUBBFan

Quote from: sliman on December 11, 2018, 10:15:38 AMExcept via the computer, WVUR can't be received WEST of the Lake-Porter county line

And that is being rather generous.

M

I often try to listen to games on my way home after coaching in Gary.  Can hardly hear WVUR if I'm west of 149.  Where can I find the WJOB on my radio dial? This is good news!

VUBBFan

Quote from: M on December 11, 2018, 11:02:03 AMI often try to listen to games on my way home after coaching in Gary.  Can hardly hear WVUR if I'm west of 149.  Where can I find the WJOB on my radio dial? This is good news!

1230 on your AM radio dial. However they don't broadcast the games.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on December 11, 2018, 09:13:05 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on December 11, 2018, 08:49:43 AMhttps://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1072503274455121920 The interview starts at 57:00. https://www.facebook.com/WJOB.1230/videos/272815803429536/
Just listened to it.  Great to hear that this station will now be doing Valpo games live.  Great effort by Mark to get exposure to the Region.

I'm glad that they're doing this but one really has to wonder why this wasn't do years even decades ago. We are the only D1 team in the region so why weren't we on a radio station that actually reaches the region? Why wasn't something like this day when Valpo was getting all of that national love way back in 1998? Oh well. Better late than never. I'm really glad to see them trying and making a concerted effort. I think it will pay off in the future. I think the absolute dream scenario which will never happen would be to one day get games carried on Indiana 105.

humbleopinion

For years I listened to games on radio stations other than WVUR as I live outside of its broadcast area.  Most recently, it was broadcast on 95.9 -- I think out of Michigan City.  That arrangement expired a few years ago.  Getting WJOB is a step up from previous broadcast stations.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 11, 2018, 10:49:27 AM

Quote from: sliman on December 11, 2018, 10:15:38 AMExcept via the computer, WVUR can't be received WEST of the Lake-Porter county line

And that is being rather generous.

When I was up for Homecoming I tried to listen to WVUR as I headed west toward 65.  It ran out of steam about 4 miles down the road!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 11, 2018, 03:37:37 PM
For years I listened to games on radio stations other than WVUR as I live outside of its broadcast area.  Most recently, it was broadcast on 95.9 -- I think out of Michigan City.  That arrangement expired a few years ago.  Getting WJOB is a step up from previous broadcast stations.

I listen to WVUR games when we are on the road because of Ickow getting the call.  I just mute the tv and sync up the game action with the WVUR call.  I recommend anyone that cares to download the TUNE-IN Radio app for their smart phones or tablets.  If you are at home under your wifi you can stream the call live on this app, I have done this for many years.

And with unlimited data packages with some carries, even streaming the call outside of your Wi-Fi network is a great option.

All that being said, here are the links if you care to look into this.  I even find myself using the TUNEIN radio app to stream some Detroit radio stations I used to listen to back in the day.  I really like the app and it's free!

https://tunein.com/radio/home/

http://thesource95.com/#music

talksalot

and WJOB is planning to air something at the Ball State game.  I don't know if it's going to be FB-Live (like that interview was today), or over the air. 

elephtheria47

Off topic but I've been thinking about this lately. How frustrating is it for football players to be able to play up to 4 games and still be redshirted but the minute you play one minute in basketball you cant be redshirted?

VULB#62

Don't you mean BB players play 1 minute and CAN'T be redshirted? 

And that is a big discrepancy between sports. Why isn't it consistent across the board?  Oh, I forgot. Football rules the NCAA.

elephtheria47