• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: tiny707 on December 30, 2018, 07:48:09 AM
I really like what ML said in the PNW post game press conference. He reflected with the time off and feels the team(and himself) needs to be more gritty like he was as a player. Those who are will start. Looks like starting five will be the two freshman, Derick, Ryan, and Marcus. Practices seem to be more intense now also. If they lose against ISU they will at least go down swinging...

And that's all we can ever really ask for. Especially right now while we're still in the midst of transitioning to the MVC.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on December 30, 2018, 07:48:09 AM
I really like what ML said in the PNW post game press conference. He reflected with the time off and feels the team(and himself) needs to be more gritty like he was as a player. Those who are will start. Looks like starting five will be the two freshman, Derick, Ryan, and Marcus. Practices seem to be more intense now also. If they lose against ISU they will at least go down swinging...

That's all I ask or ever will ask.

Dedicated to the renaissance of Valpo basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vJM4L2D2U

valpopal

I posted the following in a thread last January after the start of conference play:

"I have been a supporter of Matt Lottich, and I am not going to change yet; however, as I said in a previous post: 'I have said it before, Lottich is too passive with the officials. The terrible foul call on Joseph followed by the quick technical foul call should have been enough to trigger Lottich. Hell, maybe he would even ignite the team by showing them he has their backs.' Now, I just watched the postgame conference, and I was very disappointed in Matt's passive response to a question by Paul about the fouls called on Joseph. Matt refused to question the official where Max got 'hammered' (to use Paul's description) but was the one called for the foul, and he then suggested Max was to blame for the quick technical call by the official, though Matt didn't know why the T was called. ('My guess is Max said something, but I don't know,' Matt speculated.) He certainly didn't have Max's back with those comments."

I hope Lottich's defense of Freeman with the official yesterday and his comments in the postgame conference indicate a change of behavior on his part. I will take a wait and see attitude as conference play begins

VALPO LI

29 Division 1 Schools played a non division 1 team this weekend.
3 Valley Schools included Valpo, Drake and Missouri St.
Saturday 12/29
Valpo (7-6) 38% in attendance
Drake (11-2) 42% in attendance
Nebraska (11-2) 97% in attendance
Texas St. (11-2) 23% in attendance
Albiene Christian (11-2) 15% in attendance
Murray St. (9-2) 43% in attendance
Georgia St. (9-4) attendance N/A
California Baptist (8-5) 32% in attendance
Jacksonville St. (8-5) attendance N/A
UAB (8-5) 31% in attendance
Nicholls St. (7-6) 5% in attendance
E. Kentucky (7-6) 24% in attendance
Lamar (7-6) 18% in attendance
Arkansas St. (6-7) 10% in attendance
UTSA (6-7) 31% in attendance
Robert Morris (5-8) attendance N/A
SC Upstate (5-9) 40% in attendance
Houston Baptist (4-7) 36% in attendance
Wyoming (4-9) 31% in attendance
UNC Ashville (2-11) 38% in attendance

Sunday 12/30 included: Missouri St., Central Michigan, Akron, NC Central, New Mexico, Northwestern St, Central Arkansas, Charleston Southern and SIUE.

All games were home except New Mexico
And on Saturday all D1 schools won except UNC Ashville.
Saturday 11 of these schools had similar or better records then Valpo.
Home and Home...any takers?
I'm sure attendance will rise as well!!!
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

Exactly. It boggles the mind when schools whine about lack of at-large bids and scheduling and attendance and then pull this crap saying "well it didn't hurt our metrics." no it didn't but it didn't help either and it doesn't energize the fanbase. I wish more ADs had the fortitude to tell coaches who want to pad their record on easy wins "Why don't you just play the schedule I give you and let me decide whether or not you should be back next year since it's largely my call anyway?" It would solve so many problems if more mid major coaches and ADs would man up and embrace the risk and challenges as well as the growth and rewards that come with a tougher schedule. The fans will be grateful as well win or lose. I guarantee it.

VU2014

So has Micah officially taken a medical redshirt yet?

M

In regards to attendance - Cleveland state (remember them) reported attendance of 835 for their HL matchup vs Detroit Mercy (remember them??).

Regardless of where we finish this year I'm so happy to be out of that dumpster fire conference.

VU2014

Quote from: M on December 30, 2018, 10:34:16 PM
In regards to attendance - Cleveland state (remember them) reported attendance of 835 for their HL matchup vs Detroit Mercy (remember them??).

Regardless of where we finish this year I'm so happy to be out of that dumpster fire conference.

VUGrad1314

If I'm truly right about Valpo having experienced a positive  turning point and we get off to a good start in conference play then reading the salty posts from some of these fans is going to be fun. One guy pretty much decided to put the whole MVC on blast.

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5164

VUGrad1314

What kind of year can we expect in year 2 of the MVC? We'll know early says Father Harry as we take on 3 of the four preseason favorites in the first two weeks. He calls us and UNI mystery teams that might just emerge as a factor in the Valley race.

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/the-real-season-begins/

vu72

The news on Micah Bradford is out! (just kidding!).  Seriously, has anyone heard anything?  It just seems odd and I'm wondering whether or not he has had a conversation about red-shirting(or seeking a medical red-shirt) and then transferring out with two years of eligibility.  If he was healthy we could use him but with Gordon and Robinson being added to the mix next year, how much playing time could he expect?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 03, 2019, 08:36:32 AM
The news on Micah Bradford is out! (just kidding!).  Seriously, has anyone heard anything?  It just seems odd and I'm wondering whether or not he has had a conversation about red-shirting(or seeking a medical red-shirt) and then transferring out with two years of eligibility.  If he was healthy we could use him but with Gordon and Robinson being added to the mix next year, how much playing time could he expect?

Paul and Todd talked about Micah's situation on the last Union Street Hoops podcast and they pretty much confirmed he'll be taking a medical redshirt. He'll be graduating this Spring and he will qualify as a grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility left. We may never see Micah playing in a Crusader uniform ever again.

SanityLost17

If he regains his full health and has 2 years left I think he will be a really good player and would help the team immensely, especially in his senior season when we have mass exodus of the current junior class.

valpo84

Micah reminds me of a somewhat recent guard who seemed to struggle with their role -- Jay Harris.  Jay was a talented shooter and had a remarkable game or two in a Valpo uniform, including vs Iona in 2011 CIT (20 pts, 4 3s).  After Soph season, he transferred to Wagner and then to UIC.  Had he stayed and continued to compete at Valpo, he could have been a consistent scorer 12 pt scorer by his 4th-5th season.  I'm not a big fan of speculating about transfers.  Micah is needed this year as another guard, and you can never have enough good guards.  He showed improvement last year, and we wish him improved health and if unable to play the rest of the year, it would be good that the team disclose his condition so it reduces the speculation.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/jay-harris-to-leave-valparaiso-men-s-hoops-team/article_ab849774-5476-5358-b22f-3709563f55a9.html

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 03, 2019, 10:23:41 AM
If he regains his full health and has 2 years left I think he will be a really good player and would help the team immensely, especially in his senior season when we have mass exodus of the current junior class.

Really good? Maybe. I think he could definitely help a team. He'll have a lot of experience. I think a healthy Micah could probably help this team because he takes care of the basketball. Upperclassmen win CBB games. The shooting stroke never found any consistency here unfortunately.

I don't want to completely write off Micah as a future transfer but it felt like it's a serious possibility. I'm not sure how much growth Sackey will make from freshman to sophomore year. Sackey is very explosive but he is completely erratic right now. Will he develop into a dependable true PG in one offseason? I don't know.  But certainly get a significant amount of minutes. Bakari just isn't a true PG. So does the coaching staff bring in another grad transfer PG? Or does the staff try and convince Micah to stay?

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on January 03, 2019, 05:48:47 PMI'm not sure how much growth Sackey will make from freshman to sophomore year.

Not enough for Matt to count on him for reaching the team goals, even with the additions of Gordon and Robinson alleviating some of our present guard weaknesses and expanding our depth and attack options across the board. So no, Sackey will likely need lots of help at the point.
Quote from: VU2014 on January 03, 2019, 05:48:47 PMSo does the coaching staff bring in another grad transfer PG? Or does the staff try and convince Micah to stay?

At the top of our shopping list will be an experienced power forward and with the team prospects for 19-20 being very high we might just find a grad transfer who can help. Going after yet another grad transfer to replace Deion looks risky and would overweight that graduating class even more. Long story short--there is now no perfect answer and I doubt if the decision gets much easier by March. Given all those uncertainties I'm still inclined to think that Micah and Matt will be in total agreement on the proper course of action. Personally I think he may stay.

VULB#62

Looking beyond PG, we still don't have a legit big after the end of the 19-20 season. Scary.

oklahomamick

Let's hope Smits doesn't transfer after he graduates.  Then our shopping list gets longer and expectations dampen.  I don't think he will.  He has improved a lot and knows next year can be special. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 03, 2019, 09:23:11 PM
Let's hope Smits doesn't transfer after he graduates.  Then our shopping list gets longer and expectations dampen.  I don't think he will.  He has improved a lot and knows next year can be special. 

With all the seniors next season, the staff might need to re-recruit some guys. Hopefully not. We're all hoping next season can be special with all the seniors *should* have come back.

I'm wondering if Todd and Paul have heard rumblings. I actually have hope that Smits will stay his senior year because he knows it could be special. But skilled big men are in very high demand and bigger schools will certainly come calling. I hope sorolla stays too. The injury this season is really unfortunate. Hopefully the ankle starts to feel a little better.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on January 03, 2019, 09:48:19 PM

With all the seniors next season, the staff might need to re-recruit some guys. Hopefully not. We're all hoping next season can be special with all the seniors *should* have come back.

I'm wondering if Todd and Paul have heard rumblings. I actually have hope that Smits will stay his senior year because he knows it could be special. But skilled big men are in very high demand and bigger schools will certainly come calling. I hope sorolla stays too. The injury this season is really unfortunate. Hopefully the ankle starts to feel a little better.

I really think Derrik belonging to a fraternity will make a difference.  I have met him a couple of times down at the Phi Phi house and he is deeply involved there.  Is it a business decision?  Probably not as he would be a star at Valpo and maybe not at a bigger school.  My bet, he stays.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Smits seems to be similar to his father, in that they enjoy the smaller school atmosphere.  I remember that he chose us, as he would get to develop his game early on through playing time, and be ready to go by his JR/SR years, whereas sitting on the bench at a larger school would not develop him.  My guess is that he does explore other options, similar to Alec Peters (without the NBA side at this point), and I truly hope he comes back to be a centerpiece, versus just being another cog like Bwood was at Michigan State.
"Don't mess with Texas"

SanityLost17

Getting all the juniors back next season, when we know some will graduate early, will largely depend on how we perform over the next 2 months. 

My honest opinion is we need to go at least 11-7 in conference to create enough buzz and excitement that we get everyone back for a run at a conference title next year.   

If we go 7-11 we will have multiple transfers.    This does not take into account performance in the conference tournament as a run to the finals would alleviate a so-so regular season record.  But you guys get the idea. 

Like it or not, we need to end the season strong if we want everyone back, it is the nature of modern college basketball. 

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 04, 2019, 08:16:57 AM
Getting all the juniors back next season, when we know some will graduate early, will largely depend on how we perform over the next 2 months. 

My honest opinion is we need to go at least 11-7 in conference to create enough buzz and excitement that we get everyone back for a run at a conference title next year.   

If we go 7-11 we will have multiple transfers.    This does not take into account performance in the conference tournament as a run to the finals would alleviate a so-so regular season record.  But you guys get the idea. 

Like it or not, we need to end the season strong if we want everyone back, it is the nature of modern college basketball. 

11-7 would definitely be surpassing expectations this season. I was hoping for shade over .500 in terms of conference record. This team will really need to start playing better for 40 minutes to achieve that goal.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on January 04, 2019, 08:55:10 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 04, 2019, 08:16:57 AM

11-7 would definitely be surpassing expectations this season. I was hoping for shade over .500 in terms of conference record. This team will really need to start playing better for 40 minutes to achieve that goal.

Come on.......everybody knows this Valpo team is...........................

http://madewithgrit.com/about/

IrishDawg

11-7 would be a great run, but the MVC is projected to be a jumbled mess after Loyola, with all the other teams between that 11-7 and 7-11 mark.  I don't think either is out of the realm of possibility, nor do I think with the league being as even as it is, that it's an indictment of the direction of the team (either positively or negatively) going forward.

Valpo was projected to win the Illinois State game, and they did and are currently projected to go 8-10, but given that Drake just lost their point guard, Nick Norton for the year and was projected to go 10-8, there's 2 games that Valpo could (really should given how huge he is in their offense) potentially pick up, then you'd only need to steal one more game to get to the 11-7 mark.