• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Eli Holman takes a leave of absence

Started by valpopal, September 27, 2011, 06:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

If this leave extends into the conference season, Detroit's chances might take a hit:

Detroit center Eli Holman has been placed on a leave of absence from the team, the school announced Tuesday evening.... His prospects for the season seem unclear at this point, though.

"We have been working with Eli Holman for some time to assist him in addressing his personal matters," Associate Vice President and Director of Athletics Keri Gaither said in a statement.

"At this time, we feel it is in Eli's best interest to step away from basketball to allow him to concentrate on these matters. He has been excused from all team-related activity for an indefinite period while actively addressing these issues."

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/32315431?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

Also, from the Detroit discussion board: "Probably related to an altercation where he broke the nose of a fellow student a couple weeks ago. He apparently still has anger issues."

sectionee

He has had anger issues since his time at IU.  I hope he gets his head right because he is one heck of a talent. 

historyman

Quote from: sectionee on September 27, 2011, 09:10:52 PM
He has had anger issues since his time at IU.  I hope he gets his head right because he is one heck of a talent. 

Was Holiman the player that walked into then IU coach Kelvin Sampson's office and threw a flower planter against the wall and threatened violence against Sampson? I remember the IU police had to be called in to restrain the player involved who was gone from
IU before the season began. Of course Sampson had a cell phone use problem and was probably on his cell phone the whole time. :-)

valpopal

This news article contains more details. According to this story, Holman assaulted at least three students, breaking the nose of one. I wonder what the punishment would be if Holman wasn't a basketball star or if he were at another program. With his history reported on the Detroit discussion board and elsewhere, I think that an extended leave of absence would be the very minimum, and more likely at least a season suspension would be in order:

http://www.thevarsitynews.net/holman-leaves-team-indefinitely-1.2615822#.ToMlwZawFXA

FWalum

My guess is he will be back in about two weeks.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

I am also remembering an incident last year where Eli Holman got thrown out of a game against UIC  on January 8th when he threw a punch at an opposing player's groin. Then he was suspended for the Butler at Detroit game at Calihan Hall.

I found this description of the incident in this story:

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/01/13/11/UDM-Insider-Holman-to-sit-out-Butler-gam/landing.html?blockID=390718

But Detroit's win over UIC on Jan. 8 added one more, and it might be the biggest yet: Eli Holman, Detroit's leading rebounder, will not play because he will be serving a mandatory one-game suspension following a fight with UIC's Brad Birton.

The incident occurred with just over five minutes to go in the first half. Replays show Birton elbowed Holman in the chest. Holman retaliated by swinging his right arm near Birton's groin.

After a lengthy discussion by officials, both players were ejected. According to NCAA rules, a player ejected for a fight must serve a one-game suspension.

rlh

Guys who have repeated anger problems don't change because they are suspended from a basketball team.  This guy needs professional help and soon before it escalates even further.

vu72

If he hit me I'd press charges (if I were still living!)   :whiteflag:. What he did was assault and is a felony.  A few games of suspension won't satisfy the Court should criminal charges be filed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Ivan Vujic used to do the hitting in the groin thing against defenders with his free arm, but it was during the course of play to gain position, though I am not condoning this type of play.  I think he got caught doing it once during a game, but was not kicked out.  I imagine Holman's instance was a bit more related to possible fighting though.
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

Quote from: historyman on September 27, 2011, 10:43:34 PM
Quote from: sectionee on September 27, 2011, 09:10:52 PM

Was Holiman the player that walked into then IU coach Kelvin Sampson's office and threw a flower planter against the wall and threatened violence against Sampson? I remember the IU police had to be called in to restrain the player involved who was gone from
IU before the season began. Of course Sampson had a cell phone use problem and was probably on his cell phone the whole time. :-)

Yes that was him.

sectionee

Holman's troubles apparently date all the way back to his high school playing days.  This dude needs some professional help.  Hopefully the people at Detroit can get him what he needs and put aside his playing ability and do whats right.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2007/10/09/why-eli-holman-is-my-favorite-hoosier/ 

wh

Quote from: sectionee on September 28, 2011, 04:56:04 PM
Holman's troubles apparently date all the way back to his high school playing days.  This dude needs some professional help.  Hopefully the people at Detroit can get him what he needs and put aside his playing ability and do whats right.

The author ties his anger issues to the rough environment he grew up in.  Someone needs to share this with the people he bullies and knocks around so they can properly understand how their perpetrator is as much a victim as they are. 

valpofan56

Quote from: wh on September 28, 2011, 07:24:37 PM

The author ties his anger issues to the rough environment he grew up in.  Someone needs to share this with the people he bullies and knocks around so they can properly understand how their perpetrator is as much a victim as they are. 

You're joking right?!

wh

Quote from: valpofan56 on September 28, 2011, 07:42:30 PM
Quote from: wh on September 28, 2011, 07:24:37 PM

You're joking right?!
Yeah, it was an attempt at sarcasm.  I get tired of seeing people use "mitigating circumstances" to explain away bad behavior or at least minimize it.  The Milwaukee player loses his grandfather, so he gets drunk, gets behind the wheel of a vehicle while intoxicated, runs from police - but fortunately in this case doesn't wipe out someone's innocent family in the process.  Sooner or later, every person in the universe has to cope with the loss of people they hold dearest in life.  99% of us do it without trying to drink or drug our pain away and endanger the lives of people around us.  And yet, we're expected to understand and emphasize with these poor souls who can't play by the rules like the rest of us.  It's the same thing about Holman.  The fact that he grew up in some rough neighborhood somewhere in CA means nothing to me.  He's nothing more than a bully.  From my childhood to present day, I've always been someone that stands up for the victims of bullying.  I've never been real concerned why they do what they do.  There's an old saying that seems to apply here, "Tell your story walking."

agibson

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: agibson on September 29, 2011, 02:24:15 PM
Empathize?  Yes. 

Excuse?  No.

That's pretty much the reaction in Milwaukee about Kaylon's drunk driving situation.

The difference between Williams and Holman, of course, is that Williams had nothing bad on his record - Holman's been getting into  :censored: for years.  If you think Jeter will be too lenient with the few games suspension we think is going to happen, know that when Torre Johnson assaulted someone in 2007, Jeter immediately kicked him off the team.

vu72

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on September 29, 2011, 03:46:22 PM
Quote from: agibson on September 29, 2011, 02:24:15 PM
Empathize?  Yes. 

Excuse?  No.

That's pretty much the reaction in Milwaukee about Kaylon's drunk driving situation.

The difference between Williams and Holman, of course, is that Williams had nothing bad on his record - Holman's been getting into  :censored: for years.  If you think Jeter will be too lenient with the few games suspension we think is going to happen, know that when Torre Johnson assaulted someone in 2007, Jeter immediately kicked him off the team.

Is there any expected problem from the police?  Seems like a felony (fleeing police etc.)  Could that effect his eligibility and/or suspension??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dylanrocks

Thank God no one was killed or seriously injured as a result of Kaylon's stupidity.

Perhaps one day he'll say, "Getting arrested for drunk driving was the best thing that ever happened in my life."

As for Eli Holman, the short-term prospects don't sound nearly as promising.

wh

Another off-the-court incident involving a Detroit player:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/college-basketball-player-arrested-with-stun-gun-outside-ann-arbor-bar-police-say/

First Holman, then accusations of tampering by W. MI, now this - all in the past month or so.  I would imagine the season can't get here soon enough for the Titans coaching staff.

vu72

These guys would NEVER see the front door of the ARC.  The only way they will get in as a visiting player. What a bunch of screwballs.

agibson

Huh.  I didn't realize carrying a "stun gun" was illegal.  (I guess cattle prods are allowed?  But maybe this is the taser-type, that actually shoots the electrodes some distance?)

And, my innate suspicion of authority makes me wonder about the search.

But, not a very bright moment for this guy.  Arguing with a police officer that he should be let into a bar, over the wishes of the employees, and while under age?  And, I guess the key, while intoxicated.  I suppose alcohol can do that to you.

Definitely not a story I'd like to see written about a Valpo player (or student!).

sectionee

Quote from: vu72 on October 11, 2011, 08:52:47 PM
These guys would NEVER see the front door of the ARC.  The only way they will get in as a visiting player. What a bunch of screwballs.

I wish there was a like button for these posts!  Keep it classy Valpo!