• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

One of Drake's top players is done for the year with a knee injury.

VULB#62

Yep.  Here's a quote from Valleyhoopsinsider.com:

Drake went to Evansville looking to build on their 11-2 record, but early in the first half, star guard Nick Norton went down with a knee injury. The Bulldogs hung tough and took the Purple Aces into double overtime before losing 82-77. The biggest story of the night is Norton's injury.

And, more recently, from the Drake site:

Drake University senior Nick Norton's knee injury suffered in Wednesday night's game at Evansville will force the guard to miss the remainder of the 2018-19 season, head men's basketball coach Darian DeVries announced Friday, Jan. 4.  Norton suffered an injury to his left knee late in the first half of the Drake men's basketball team's double-overtime loss at Evansville while driving to the basket. Norton's injury was evaluated Thursday and following an MRI, team physicians determined Norton tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.  Surgery to repair the ligament will be performed at a date to be determined.

Norton was a transfer from UAB (teammate of our own Deion Lavender).  He had a previous knee injury in 2016-17. That's a real shame.  Drake's OOC start showed real promise in lifting the overall rating of the conference nationally.

VUGrad1314

That's very unfortunate. They were the best MVC story of the noncomference. Hope they can rally and salvage at least a decent season.

SanityLost17

Very unfortunate for Drake fans!

We beat Drake twice last year and we return just about everybody.    They graduated just about everybody and now lost their stud transfer.   
If we are progressing the way we should and Lottich is who we need him to be this is a series we should sweep this year.   

If not it shows the power of coaching and will show that Drake has found not just a good coach but a GREAT coach if he can take a cobbled together roster in his 1st year and win with it through in spite of major injury.   

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 04, 2019, 10:36:05 AMNorton was a transfer from UAB (teammate of our own Deion Lavender).  He had a previous knee injury in 2016-17.

From all accounts he was a candidate for MVC Player of the Year! Terrible for him, for Drake and for the Valley. Norton must have been the reason Deion was only the backup point (shifted over from the #2) at UAB.

usc4valpo

I hope he recover and moves on with his future endeavors. What a bummer

crusadermoe

When will he be eligible?   Good to see that program on the move!

VUGrad1314

Mid-December. Should have 1.5 years but Evansville is going to try to get a waiver to allow him to play at the start of next year.

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/2475447002?__twitter_impression=true

VUGrad1314

Saw this on MVCFans and had to share.

A winter weather advisory hasn't stopped UE from selling out the lower bowl for ISU tomorrow. UE says they're 200 tix from #MovingTheCurtain as of yesterday.

ISU@Loyola is sold out. Loyola's 3rd sellout (Furman, Nevada). Last year's ISU/Loyola game had secondary ticket prices so high it eclipsed the Blackhawks, Bulls, & Blue Demons combined.

Valpo fans (present company excluded) need to step up The weekend games especially better be packed.

valpo64

Indiana State and Evansville should sell out every time they play as they are only a little over 100 miles apart.  That has been a big rivalry for years.

VU2014

Does anyone see this Valpo team as a decent tourney team right now? I don't. We've looked better the last few games but it's WAY to early to be talking about potentially winning the Valley. This team would need to elevate their game to another level and get hot going into Arch Madness.

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1083811957331894282?s=21

Valpower

Quote from: VU2014 on January 11, 2019, 04:16:38 PM
Does anyone see this Valpo team as a decent tourney team right now? I don't. We've looked better the last few games but it's WAY to early to be talking about potentially winning the Valley. This team would need to elevate their game to another level and get hot going into Arch Madness.
Valpo once again has a characteristically good mix of talented players without a dominant star.  These kinds of teams always have to get all the pieces working together to really shine and tend to struggle as they work out the communication challenges and develop their strengths.  I happen to think that the reintegration of J into the lineup, after a dominant start with Smits as the offensive linchpin may have may have introduced just enough disruption in the latter portion of the OOC schedule to cause an offensive stumble (along with the confidence-sapping perimeter inconsistencies).  Teams with a dominant scorer sometimes start out quicker, but may have limited upside.

I like our puzzle pieces and they're starting to fit together nicely to where we could challenge consistently toward the end, but there are still a few areas to shore up as far as performance.  As for needing to reach another level, I ask, "how high and to surpass whom?"

elephtheria47

A lot of  bracket predictions, especially this early in the year, places the 1st place team in. Really nothing to see or take out  of this ar this point in time

NativeCheesehead

I will say this about the MVC. I genuinely look forward to watching the other games around the league. Really looking forward to ISUr and Loyola as an appetizer to the Valpo game. Might even catch the nightcap before the NFL game. I can count on on hand the number of Horizon games I watched over the years that didn't involve Valpo.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 12, 2019, 11:16:59 AM
I will say this about the MVC. I genuinely look forward to watching the other games around the league. Really looking forward to ISUr and Loyola as an appetizer to the Valpo game. Might even catch the nightcap before the NFL game. I can count on on hand the number of Horizon games I watched over the years that didn't involve Valpo.

Agreed. It's genuinely fun to follow the league. We didn't have that same experience in the Horizon when we were there.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2019, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 12, 2019, 11:16:59 AM

Agreed. It's genuinely fun to follow the league. We didn't have that same experience in the Horizon when we were there.

Here Here I say!

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 11, 2019, 12:48:32 PM
Saw this on MVCFans and had to share.

A winter weather advisory hasn't stopped UE from selling out the lower bowl for ISU tomorrow. UE says they're 200 tix from #MovingTheCurtain as of yesterday.

ISU@Loyola is sold out. Loyola's 3rd sellout (Furman, Nevada). Last year's ISU/Loyola game had secondary ticket prices so high it eclipsed the Blackhawks, Bulls, & Blue Demons combined.

Valpo fans (present company excluded) need to step up The weekend games especially better be packed.

It may be a sellout but not a packed house. Maybe it's the weather.

https://twitter.com/JCTSports/status/1084167074581282817

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 12, 2019, 12:14:14 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2019, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 12, 2019, 11:16:59 AMI will say this about the MVC. I genuinely look forward to watching the other games around the league. Really looking forward to ISUr and Loyola as an appetizer to the Valpo game. Might even catch the nightcap before the NFL game. I can count on on hand the number of Horizon games I watched over the years that didn't involve Valpo.
Here Here I say!
I find the league very entertaining and competitive. I went to the Arch Madness tourney last year and was not disappointed. Most games were decided in the last 2 minutes and the fans were all highly engaged.
The Valley is a lot more fun  than the HL. You can tell there are some rivalries going on. To anyone on the fence about going to Arch Madness this year, I don't think you would regret giving it a try.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2019, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 11, 2019, 12:48:32 PMSaw this on MVCFans and had to share. A winter weather advisory hasn't stopped UE from selling out the lower bowl for ISU tomorrow. UE says they're 200 tix from #MovingTheCurtain as of yesterday. ISU@Loyola is sold out. Loyola's 3rd sellout (Furman, Nevada). Last year's ISU/Loyola game had secondary ticket prices so high it eclipsed the Blackhawks, Bulls, & Blue Demons combined. Valpo fans (present company excluded) need to step up The weekend games especially better be packed.
It may be a sellout but not a packed house. Maybe it's the weather. https://twitter.com/JCTSports/status/1084167074581282817

Woof.

VUGrad1314

The crowd for ISUr vs Loyola filled in very nicely. And Evansville drew 6100 fresh off a Winter Storm in a rebuilding year and are 3rd in the MVC in attendance in a rebuilding year. Fans better come out and support this team at the next home game.

may know

Agreed about the league switch. Actually went to ILST/Loyola and had to buy off stubhub because it was sold out. Packed house except student section.

Went home and watched the tape of our game. VERY happy. Gotta hand it to ML.

may know

That UNItard is a moron who keeps breaking his own record for self-unawareness.

I highly encourage any Valpo fan with an account to eviscerate him.

His prediction of "every MVC team but Valpo can finish top 4" is looking real solid.

valpotx

The Illinois State and UNI fans have been the roughest on Valpo entering the MVC, so every win over their programs gives me great satisfaction :)
"Don't mess with Texas"