• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Maybe the news came after the recording was done or maybe  he wasn't mentioned because he won't be playing this year but I really feel like Eron Gordon deserved mention in this piece.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 26, 2018, 11:24:56 PM
Maybe the news came after the recording was done or maybe  he wasn't mentioned because he won't be playing this year but I really feel like Eron Gordon deserved mention in this piece.

The article was probably only meant for players that will make an impact next season.

usc4valpo

As a result of their performance in the NCAA basketball tournament, Loyola athletic donations have increasaed by 660 percent. I hope the Valpo suitors are aware of what this kind of success can bring to the school.

valpo64

They(VU) certainly should be aware of that fact because they witnessed a large increase to the Ath. Dept and overall giving after "The Shot" season.  To know and to  do often are different things to some people.  Let's hope our Administration learned it's lesson.

VU2014

The University missed an opportunity with "The Shot". We're under different leadership these days with Heckler and ML. The board was also pretty conservative back in the 90's from what I hear. This University is still fairly fiscally conservative in terms of finances but they've clearly been more willing to spend under Heckler's leadership, so there is a chance if we went on another magical run that they'd capitalize on the moment.

TBH as much as want I want us to make significant investments in our facilities and our men's basketball program, I don't blame the University for not just shelling out a massive investments without a landmark moment as a catalyst for momentum. It's a sizable risk to just spend. I will lose all faith in the leadership of this University if we have another big run in the tourney and we don't capitalize on the moment. They better have blueprints or a plan incase it does happens though.

As for now it's sensible to be making smaller improvements to help the coaches in recruiting and things like improving the parking situation for fans. The most important thing in my mind is making sure we hire great coaches. It all starts and ends with having the right staff in place that can recruit, develop,
good x's & o's coaches and connect with the fanbase.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on May 27, 2018, 02:20:22 PM
The University missed an opportunity with "The Shot". We're under different leadership these days with Heckler and ML. The board was also pretty conservative back in the 90's from what I hear. This University is still fairly fiscally conservative in terms of finances but they've clearly been more willing to spend under Heckler's leadership, so there is a chance if we went on another magical run that they'd capitalize on the moment.

TBH as much as want I want us to make significant investments in our facilities and our men's basketball program, I don't blame the University for not just shelling out a massive investments without a landmark moment as a catalyst for momentum. It's a sizable risk to just spend. I will lose all faith in the leadership of this University if we have another big run in the tourney and we don't capitalize on the moment. They better have blueprints or a plan incase it does happens though.

As for now it's sensible to be making smaller improvements to help the coaches in recruiting and things like improving the parking situation for fans. The most important thing in my mind is making sure we hire great coaches. It all starts and ends with having the right staff in place that can recruit, develop,
good x's & o's coaches and connect with the fanbase.

Good points, but making plans on what to do when you have success seems somewhat backwards to me.  Loyola didn't just sit on their hands waiting for success to magically happen ... they made investments in their program that created the opportunity for what happened this past season.  That success has had financial benefits for them, but would that have happened without them first making the investments they made?

Investing in your program doesn't guarantee success (look at the bottom half of every P5 conference), but it's very difficult to compete for Sweet 16 appearances if you aren't committed to financially supporting your program.   :twocents:

valpolaw

This is slightly off topic from the prior posts but somewhat of the same area related to marketing and the failure to capitalize. Why does the bookstore have such hideous gear???? Where can we find apparel that doesn't look like it's from the 1970s? I think that also goes to helping the image of the university. I live out of state now and when I watch all the games I see the players wearing cool warm ups and apparel. However, when I go to the bookstore or try to find it online all I can find are some shirts that are horrific and look like they were made decades ago. I specifically recall the players wear unique shirts during warm ups that I really liked but they were no where to be found when I tried to buy one.  I assume I can't be the only person who thinks this. I will never understand the valpo marketing. There should be no reason I can't buy the same type of apparel of the quality and style the players are wearing. I have no marketing background but it seems like that would be common sense. When people see alumni and fans wearing cool apparel and it draws attention and helps the image of the university.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 27, 2018, 07:48:32 PM
Should the MVC adopt something like this?
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/chuck-landon-c-usa-making-big-moves-in-hoops/article_dad0483a-c987-5b60-9041-bfc87418accd.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

To be fair, C-USA was raided heavily over the last few years via realignment.  That said, this is either 1) an innovative and creative outside the box scheduling idea or 2) an indirect by-product of creating a bloated, watered down, fighting for multiple bid 14 team league that expanded in different "markets" for the sake of FBS football dollars without the P5 money or the P5 prestige.

Pick one.

VUGrad1314

In our case we can eliminate option 2 because we haven't watered the league down. Would it help a league that hasn't been watered down? Perhaps it would. I still think the best solution is to add Murray State and go to 20 games like the big conferences are considering but what do I know?

IrishDawg

It wouldn't work in the MVC because of the round robin format already, but this is at least a creative way to try and create more bids, though I think for it to ultimately create more bids they would have to have at-large level teams in the league to begin conference play, which is where the challenge will remain.  I think this plan can help their representative's seed line if one or 2 teams runs roughshod over the other 3 in that top-5 pod and doesn't suffer bad losses in their other 13 games.  Unless teams are winning their big-time out of conference games though, I don't see it making an appreciable difference in seed lines or the league's number of bids. 

MTSU's really only bad loss this year was in the conference tourney to Southern Miss, they had a decent, even if not spectacular non-conference win at Murray State and had the 6th toughest conference SOS already, went 16-2 in league play, and even they were just a 3 seed in the NIT, which suggests they were nowhere close to being an at-large school.

At this point though, a mid-major league can't simply give up trying new ideas, and this certainly isn't a bad one.

bigmosmithfan1

The only way something like this works in the Valley is if you go to 20 games, play your round robin then matchup based on standings for those last two games. Hopefully replace two of your lower-rated non-conference games with two better-RPI conference games. But then this all assumes that the Selection Committee won't simply move the goalposts again for midmajors, like they've done a dozen other times.

One league that would definitely benefit from this is the MAC. They always seem to have 3-4 really good teams weighed down by the hind end of that conference. Four less games against the basement could make a huge difference for those top MAC teams (who used to routinely be a multi-bid league prior to expanding to 12 teams).

may know

Experiment might be short-lived for CUSA. That is a league overextended in geography (El Paso to Florida to West Virginia) with little income rolling in.

Leaves open possibility of 4 games against your travel partner (2+pod+tourney). Last time that was possible was when KSU/WVU completed a previous OOC contract the year WVU joined the BXII.

VUGrad1314

Bradley appears to have filled out the rest of their roster. Highly touted 2019 recruit Ari Boya a 7 footer from Cameroon who was ranked in the top 200 in his class has successfully reclassified to 2018. They have also added Jashon Henry from Canada who averaged 29ppg and is ranked as the #9 prospect in Canada. It's going to be very difficult to break into the top 4 of the MVC for any team not based in Illinois.

VUGrad1314

Missouri State appears to have added a 4 star transfer from South Florida Tulio Da Silva.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/tulio-da-silva

They are also hosting a grad transfer from Texas Tech. We'll see if they get him.

VUGrad1314

Bad news for the Iowa schools and for the MVC as a whole:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/bbmen-recruiting/2018/06/14/hy-vee-classic-end-after-2018-after-iowa-announces-pulling-out/702807002/

We need to focus on playing as many elite mids as possible as the P5 continues to tighten its grip. We also need to get as many quality games as we can  in conference. I know you're tired of hearing me beat this drum but can we please add Murray State now?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 13, 2018, 09:57:10 PMMissouri State appears to have added a 4 star transfer from South Florida Tulio Da Silva. http://verbalcommits.com/players/tulio-da-silva They are also hosting a grad transfer from Texas Tech. We'll see if they get him.

Update:The Bears ended up getting both players and have no scholarships remaining this year.

VUGrad1314

Illinois State hires former Duke star and NBA player Chris Duhon who was most recently at Marshall which upset Wichita State in the NCAA Tournament. Are we getting closer to naming an assistant to replace coach Dildy?

https://twitter.com/redbird_mbb/status/1008746743230582784?s=21

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 18, 2018, 07:12:34 PM
Illinois State hires former Duke star and NBA player Chris Duhon who was most recently at Marshall which upset Wichita State in the NCAA Tournament. Are we getting closer to naming an assistant to replace coach Dildy?

Hopefully relatively soon. Judging from Coach Lottich's most recent comment's they may be looking for a Coach with Chicago connections.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 18, 2018, 07:12:34 PM

Sad to see he has several DUI's in recent years.  Resigned from Marshall for his 2nd offense it seems

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Duhon

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else looking forward to the next Union Street Hoops!?!?

Oren teases us about a big interview and then radio silence.  Is this what they call building the suspense?  Or maybe a much deserved summer vacation?

Either way, hope you continue USH even with your buddy Parker moving on.

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Recruiting or coaching news forthcoming perhaps?

VUGrad1314

3 MVC Teams in midmadness's Way Too Early Mid-major Top 25:

Loyola checks in at #3

Illinois State is #16

and Bradley is in at #23

A bit surprised to see Southern Illinois absent from this list but this is still very positive for the conference.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/5/17429134/2018-19-mid-major-madness-power-rankings-nba-draft-transfer-nevada-cody-caleb-martin-gonzaga

oklahomamick

I'm not buying the Bradley stock yet.....Maybe its the impression Wardle gave me at Green Bay, but it seems his teams never meet expectations.
CRUSADERS!!!