• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 11, 2018, 08:26:28 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on December 11, 2018, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: may know on December 11, 2018, 06:43:53 PM"Reality is we left a 1 bid league for another" Reality is we left a First Four league for a Final Four one
True.  As I stated before, the Horizon League as constructed in 2017 was never going to win an opening round game, much less make it to the 2nd weekend or beyond.  Good move by Valpo to get out when they did.
Agreed, no argument from me on the state of the HL 2017.  But we cannot ignore the windfall the HL received from Butler 2010 and 2011.  It was as unlikely as Loyola in the Final Four if not less likely considering back-to-back. I'm just not going to agree the MVC move was a slam dunk move based on a feat (Loyola 2018) that an HL team previously did better at.  IF Loyola drew more competition early in the NCAA we wouldn't be sitting her praising them.  But that's hardly the point.....give me 5-years to compare the leagues and our perceived pecking order and I'll write glowing "beat writer" esque posts like VU1314!!! Note:  MVC move re-made Loyola, so I have high hopes for Valpo too!

Nobody's ignoring what Butler or even Milwaukee did back then and the money it generated but it seems to me that you're neglecting the contributions of Bradley SIU and UNI in your assessment of the MVC and its value. Also the fact that Loyola went on this run after Wichita State left is significant. Meanwhile the Horizon League did nothing in the tournament after Butler

Furthermore the MVC WITHOUT Wichita State has been as strong or stronger than the Horizon League WITH Butler. The metrics don't compare nowadays. Add these facts to all the benefits I've outlined in previous posts that are already being realized and Valpo's position in the league isn't as relevant when calculating the overall benefits of MVC membership especially at this early juncture.

Of course we'll have to keep winning in order to keep the momentum going and move the program forward. I've been on record saying that I will not tolerate mediocrity forever and neither will any self-respecting fan, but if we suck it won't be the MVC's fault that we suck.
The point is we'll probably never dominate like we used to but that's fine. I'm fine with sharing the load as long as we still win our share which we should. Put succinctly, the HL is a good place to be if you're the dominant power which no program is forever but the MVC is good for its members regardless of their position in the conference

VUGrad1314

VUGrad1314

CBS Sports will air its Four Sides of the Story Documentary on Loyola's run December 17 at 6 PM CT Too bad most of us will be busy with other matters like watching the Crusaders take on Ball State. I guess we'll just have to record it and watch later.

There will be a follow up interview with Porter Moser on December 22 at 8 PM CT on CBS Sports Network for those interested.

All the information can be found here:

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/loyola-back-in-the-national-spotlight/

VUGrad1314

Head on over to MVCFans if you want to see an anti-Valpo post get totally eviscerated (I helped too).

may know

That's why I was cheering Saturday when UNI trailed Dubuque by 10 late in their own building.

UNI Delusion is a real thing.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 14, 2018, 10:33:55 AM
Head on over to MVCFans if you want to see an anti-Valpo post get totally eviscerated (I helped too).

Link to the Topic/Posts?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

A solid scheduling get for Bradley. That's a team I'd love to see Valpo play (hopefully in a H and H). Start it @Valpo next year then try to get a game against Nova on the return in PHI or start a series on the road vs Penn or perhaps LaSalle\Drexel.

https://twitter.com/hoops_mvc/status/1073629859883159553

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 14, 2018, 10:33:55 AM

Can't believe some idiot is complaining about the ARC not being air-conditioned, in the middle of December!  Wonder if he understands that even mighty Butler's arena isn't air-conditioned!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

UNI shouldn't really care that Valpo was added over Murray State. They've been nowhere close to a tournament team for 3 years now, so it doesn't even affect them. If anything, they would have been below .500 with Murray State in the conference last year.

Valpo going 7-4 out of conference vs Murray State going 6-3 is hardly any difference. Murray State would not have won 18 conference games last year. This year Murray State is better than Valpo, but they're not playing a schedule that could get them an at-large, so it's not like this swap would do anything meaningful for the rest of the league.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on December 15, 2018, 09:39:58 AMThis year Murray State is better than Valpo, but they're not playing a schedule that could get them an at-large, so it's not like this swap would do anything meaningful for the rest of the league.

Their only loss was close at #66 Alabama. If they could somehow win at #16 Auburn plus lose only to now #22 Belmont then a 4 loss Murray St could make a great argument for an at-large bid.

Will that happen? Probably not, but if a healthy Murray team was now in the MVC I'm having trouble finding 5 losses for them and a 17-3 record (11 team double round robin) is easier to imagine. So if we can picture Murray losing in St.Louis and having only 5 losses on selection Sunday then they would have to be in. They might even get in with 6 losses.  :thumbsup: 

may know

Peeked at the UNI board and noticed the same idiot preaching how Iowa's Bohannon was the worst defender in the B1G and AJ Green would be licking his chops.

He then held AJ Green to 2 points.  :thumbsup:

Also noticed he believes UNI has a "realistic option" of receiving a MWC invite in conjunction with Gonzaga, BYU, & Wichita - and that UNI needs to escape the Valley.

The SDSU bloodbath and Dubuque squeaker does not appear to have humbled him. I'm sure he'll be right back griping about Valpo.

VUGrad1314

And the factual smackdown I laid (except for the one about when they finished above.500 in conference. I misread because my eyes were tired from all the research and typing I had done He pretty much dropped the matter after that.

0-6 so far. Brutally bad day with some really bad losses. EVERYBODY including us needs to pick it up. The multibid dream is almost completely dead this year after this slew of bad losses but I can't help but think that we have a chance to be much better than last year. I'm not saying we'll win but we should do a lot better. Go Valpo!

VUGrad1314

But before anyone overreacts to tonight's debacle just remember that our first conference  only has one team above .500 (SDSU) and our second conference only has 2 and no top 100 RPI teams The MVC has 3 top 100 teams 2 top 100 NET teams and 4 teams rated higher than even the first NET team in the HL or SL.

Tonight was terrible no question but nights like this seem to be a far more frequent occurrence elsewhere. We should all still be very glad to be where we are.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 15, 2018, 11:55:00 PM
And the factual smackdown I laid (except for the one about when they finished above.500 in conference. I misread because my eyes were tired from all the research and typing I had done He pretty much dropped the matter after that.

0-6 so far. Brutally bad day with some really bad losses. EVERYBODY including us needs to pick it up. The multibid dream is almost completely dead this year after this slew of bad losses but I can't help but think that we have a chance to be much better than last year. I'm not saying we'll win but we should do a lot better. Go Valpo!

The multi bid dream this year is without a doubt dead.  No one has close to the number of qualities wins to build an at-large case considering their losses.

Valpo should be better, if not because the team is actually better, then because the league is worse than last season.  Currently Valpo is ranked in about the same spot in Kenpom as they were at the end of last season (157 this year vs. 150 last year).  Doesn't mean this is the new norm for the MVC, but currently this is the lowest ranking (in overall score, not the conference rank) since the 2001-02 season for the MVC on Kenpom.  The bottom of the league still isn't bad, but the teams at the top just haven't been as good as expected.

VU2014

I'm not sure what is wrong with Illinois State this season. I'm not sure if it's health or a lack of focus but they have been very disappointing when it comes to preseason expectations.

https://twitter.com/pg_benson/status/1074413025958989825?s=21

VUGrad1314

Father Harry is NOT HAPPY with the P5.

I agree with the idea of taking  2 for 1s if it means getting the P5 teams to at least travel every once in awhile. Buy games too. Let's take them and beat them. The strategy is working for the SOCON WCC MAC and OVC this year so why shouldn't we try to beat them at their own game?

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/money-conference-teams-need-more-home-games/

VUGrad1314

Great article on Drake. It seems like they're everything we wish we were right now.

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/bullish-on-the-bulldogs/

tiny707

The problem with Illinois State is their defensive guru assistant coach left and went to Michigan. Look at all the success Michigan had last year and are now having this year.

VUGrad1314

And Muller recommended him to Beilein... A wonderfully selfless act on his part but certainly damaging to his program.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on December 23, 2018, 12:07:42 PM
https://twitter.com/hoops_mvc/status/1076900980493615104

Those numbers are only current as of December 21. Expect a significant change in them when they are updated. SIU will drop while  Drake and Indiana State will rise significantly especially if both schools can win today.

valpopal

The KenPom preseason rankings for the MVC had Indiana State 7th and Drake 10th in the conference (valpo was picked 6th). With this weekend's wins by Indiana State over Colorado and UNLV, they are currently 8-3, and with yesterday's win over New Mexico State, Drake is 9-2. Nice to see some teams are exceeding expectations!

may know

That's why putting so much stock into preseason and early season KenPom rankings is so laughable.

Analytics are important...when they're used correctly.