• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpopal on December 23, 2018, 06:08:25 PM
The KenPom preseason rankings for the MVC had Indiana State 7th and Drake 10th in the conference (valpo was picked 6th). With this weekend's wins by Indiana State over Colorado and UNLV, they are currently 8-3, and with yesterday's win over New Mexico State, Drake is 9-2. Nice to see some teams are exceeding expectations!

Indiana State was preseason #150 on Kenpom. They're now at #131. Drake is definitely exceeding expectations  (started at #222 and are now at #143), but Indiana State is still in the same relative area they were prior to the season starting. Evansville is the other MVC team that is outperforming their preseason Kenpom rating. Every other team is down unfortunately.

valpo64

Indiana State is playing well in their tourney...should win it

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpo64 on December 24, 2018, 01:54:13 PM

They're a 10 pointish underdog to TCU.  Granted, there's the motivation factor which is clearly in Indiana State's favor, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a major upset if they won this tournament.

EddieCabot

Quote from: IrishDawg on December 24, 2018, 02:10:21 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on December 24, 2018, 01:54:13 PM

They're a 10 pointish underdog to TCU.  Granted, there's the motivation factor which is clearly in Indiana State's favor, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a major upset if they won this tournament.

ISUb lost, as expected, but they did put up a fight after going down big in the 2nd half.

On a positive note, Drake won their tournament, beating San Diego to 2OT.  First time I've seen them play ... was impressed by their shooting, but more importantly, their toughness and togetherness.  Drake isn't overly talented, but they seem to be cohesive and willing to battle to the end.  Those qualities alone put them near the top of the MVC.

VUGrad1314

Some well-deserved praise for Drake.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/12/27/18156731/drake-missouri-valley-college-basketball-mcglynn-devries-norton-ellingson-illinois-chicago-loyola

They might just be the MVC's best chance at tournament success this year. They aren't the most talented outfit in the conference but they play the way  MVC teams that have been successful in the tournament historically have played.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 28, 2018, 04:48:44 PM

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/12/27/18156731/drake-missouri-valley-college-basketball-mcglynn-devries-norton-ellingson-illinois-chicago-loyola

They might just be the MVC's best chance at tournament success this year. They aren't the most talented outfit in the conference but they play the way  MVC teams that have been successful in the tournament historically have played.

The Drake AD made two back-to-back homerun coaching hires. Medved was a top notch coach and it's even more impressive what DeVries has done with this cobbled together roster. Something to note: the Drake AD didn't limit the coaching search to former assistants in their coaching search. DeVries was McDermott's right hand man at Creighton and had 17 years of experience as an assistant coach there (20 years total).

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on December 28, 2018, 05:51:00 PM

The Drake AD made two back-to-back homerun coaching hires. Medved was a top notch coach and it's even more impressive what DeVries has done with this cobbled together roster. Something to note: the Drake AD didn't limit the coaching search to former assistants in their coaching search. DeVries was McDermott's right hand man at Creighton and had 17 years of experience as an assistant coach there (20 years total).
Quote from: VU2014 on December 28, 2018, 05:51:00 PMSomething to note: the Drake AD didn't limit the coaching search to former assistants in their coaching search

A rather unveiled attack on Mark's decision that has yet to be proven right or wrong.  We do know that this approach has worked very well at a school located to our South.  Why not be a little patient?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Yeah I would cool it with the whole "home run hire" thing until Drake appears in the tournament, or at least finishes above .500 for the fist time in 8 years.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on December 28, 2018, 06:53:15 PM

Quote from: VU2014 on December 28, 2018, 05:51:00 PMSomething to note: the Drake AD didn't limit the coaching search to former assistants in their coaching search

A rather unveiled attack on Mark's decision that has yet to be proven right or wrong.  We do know that this approach has worked very well at a school located to our South.  Why not be a little patient?

I actually didn't mean to take a shot at ML there, but in hindsight it definitely came off that way. I think the hire from within model is actually a good one if you think you have a HC material on staff already. I guess you don't really know till you hand the keys to the ship over and let them captain the ship for a while. Butler struck gold with Holtzman, who had his fair share of doubters when he took the Head job at Butler but proved many wrong.

With that particular 2015-16 season we probably would have seen a significant amount of transfers and the chances of AP leaving probably would have been greater if they hired someone from the outside.

I hope ML is taking in knowledgable opinions/evaluations from the outside on Coach Lottich's body of work here. He has a big decision coming up in the near future about this programs future if the deal was a 4 year deal. I don't expect him or want him to listen to a message board about this topic but I hope he's reaching out to some credible basketball minds about evaluating the head coach.

Quote from: a3uge on December 28, 2018, 07:53:32 PM
Yeah I would cool it with the whole "home run hire" thing until Drake appears in the tournament, or at least finishes above .500 for the fist time in 8 years.

That's fair. All I meant was that both guys have impressed in their short amount of time there and given the circumstances of the rosters.

wh

Drake had 2 winning seasons in 10 years prior to hiring Medved and DeVries. The last 4 of those 10 years were led by Ray Giacoletti, who had a combined 38-86 W/L record, including back-to-back 7-24 seasons before he was fired. Prior to being named Drake's head coach, Giacoletti was an assistant at Gonzaga from 2007-2013. Prior to that he was Utah's head coach from 2004-2007, where he won conference coach of the year honors in 2004 and 2005.

2 points here. 

1. Giacoletti was a "dream" outside hire, yet he was a complete bust at Drake. While the newest "outside" guy appears to be off to a good start, it's way too early to determine whether he will be able to turn the program around.
2. Drake has looked outside for their coaches because their program has been a bust for the past decade. Their only choice has been to clean house and start over.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on December 28, 2018, 08:59:44 PM

Drake had 2 winning seasons in 10 years prior to hiring Medved and DeVries. The last 4 of those 10 years were led by Ray Giacoletti, who had a combined 38-86 W/L record, including back-to-back 7-24 seasons before he was fired. Prior to being named Drake's head coach, Giacoletti was an assistant at Gonzaga from 2007-2013. Prior to that he was Utah's head coach from 2004-2007, where he won conference coach of the year honors in 2004 and 2005.

2 points here. 

1. Giacoletti was a "dream" outside hire, yet he was a complete bust at Drake. While the newest "outside" guy appears to be off to a good start, it's way too early to determine whether he will be able to turn the program around.
2. Drake has looked outside for their coaches because their program has been a bust for the past decade. Their only choice has been to clean house and start over.

Hopefully we won't need to do the same thing. Fingers crossed, Coach Lottich can figure things out.

EddieCabot

Yes, it only makes sense to hire from within when you lose your head coach to a larger program because of his success.  Valpo was able to do that when Homer retired (both times) and when Bryce was lured away due to his success in the NIT. 

Coach Lottich inherited a senior-laden and talented team, but he also was handed a roster that was extremely unbalanced class-wise, a step up in conference and facilities that are not top notch.  I think he deserves some time. 

Lastly, for all of the people stating Lottich should go, provide me a list of candidates lining up to take a job that's bottom/near bottom in the MVC in terms of salary and facilities.  I think this is the reason that Coach Lottich will get a few more years to show he's the right guy at Valpo.

M

These are very good points. Tomorrow begins the turn around me hopes.

valpotx

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 28, 2018, 09:39:26 PM

Yes, it only makes sense to hire from within when you lose your head coach to a larger program because of his success.  Valpo was able to do that when Homer retired (both times) and when Bryce was lured away due to his success in the NIT. 

Coach Lottich inherited a senior-laden and talented team, but he also was handed a roster that was extremely unbalanced class-wise, a step up in conference and facilities that are not top notch.  I think he deserves some time. 

Lastly, for all of the people stating Lottich should go, provide me a list of candidates lining up to take a job that's bottom/near bottom in the MVC in terms of salary and facilities.  I think this is the reason that Coach Lottich will get a few more years to show he's the right guy at Valpo.

EddieCabot is our board's enigma.  Most of the time, he is chiding us for our ridiculous overreactions and Valpo homerism, but every now and then, he posts something that actually seems genuine.  Well done, my friend, as you continue to confound me :thumbsup:.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo2013

Turn around?
Cmon
We are playing a team of commuter kids

NativeCheesehead

Salary isn't as big an issue as you expect. Coaches come to mid majors as stepping stone to a high six or seven figure contract at a P5, or to resurrect a career after being fired from a P5 where they've already made money. From why we've seen on past salary we're competitive enough that that in and of itself wouldn't cost us a candidate.

Now (insert facility rant here) could. And the fact that we're the fourth most popular college team in our own town.

Valpo2013

All the talk about schedules is fine. I understand according to our Athletic Director the difficulty
But
To play teams like
Riverside
SIU Edwardsville
Monmouth (although part of a tournament )

These are some of the worst in the nation

We have to be able to schedule better than that

vu72

I guess some might have said Valpo made a home run hire after we started 10-0 last year. Things can change quickly with an occasional illness or key player being ruled ineligible. Looking forward to seeing some basketball today.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2018, 10:44:34 AM
I guess some might have said Valpo made a home run hire after we started 10-0 last year. Things can change quickly with an occasional illness or key player being ruled ineligible. Looking forward to seeing some basketball today.

I'll admit I wanted to drink the kool aid after that 10-0 start, but that was a very soft 10 games. Last season was a mess with Tevonn's mono, Burton's exit.

I'm excited basketball is back but we need to start to see this team compete more consistently.

Valpo2013

Wow
You really drink the kool aid

VU2014

valporun

A large part of the current scheduling issues come from coaches scheduling based on the algorithm/formula of the RPI. Now that were in the NET formula, coaches are having to learn that concept and schedule within the indicators of how it will set them up for at-large or conference outcomes for getting into the NCAA tournament in coming years. We're just so caught up in the fact that our program isn't living up to statistical expectations.

Valpo's biggest issues aren't in the stats, I see the problems more in who on this roster has bought into the philosophy. Most of the guys are this roster are new to Valpo, maybe not college basketball, but VALPO. We have ZERO 4-year Crusaders, ZERO leaders who have bought into the philosophy that this team has a direction that is going forward, and ZERO players stepping up to make the season look salvageable. It would help Matt Lottich if he had anyone on this roster that wasn't just here for the betterment of their individual stats or playing time. The only starters on our roster that were recruited to Valpo out of high school are Javon Freeman and Derrik Smits. After this, we have Sorolla, McMillan, Kiser, and a bunch of fill-ins from other schools, who have to sit the season as a transfer requirement. Lavender is only on the roster because he's a senior with a year to kill. Fazekas is still getting into his basketball groove. Evelyn thinks he's the man, but his shot just isn't falling like the confident shooter's shot should. This team is a mess because NO ONE is defined as the go-getter/go-to.

valpotx

Monmouth is having a very abnormal year for their program.  There is no way that anyone saw an 0-12 start coming for them.

Also, I see a lot of people knocking Fazekas.  If being off is shooting over 40% from 3, we could use a lot more shooters who are off :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on December 30, 2018, 01:51:46 PM
Also, I see a lot of people knocking Fazekas.  If being off is shooting over 40% from 3, we could use a lot more shooters who are off :) .

Speaking of 3-point percentage, I just checked Alec Peters, and he is shooting a terrific 56.6% from the 3-point line in Euroleague play.  :thumbsup:

VUGrad1314

"Welcome to the Missouri Valley Conference!" Now where did he got that title? Anyone on this board know?

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/welcome-to-the-missouri-valley-conference/