• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Myrtle Beach Invitational

Started by VU2014, July 13, 2018, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

BTW, let's hope Myrtle Beach gets back on its feet by tourney time.  Seems like hurricaines are dogging this tournament.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 14, 2018, 01:03:58 PM
BTW, let's hope Myrtle Beach gets back on its feet by tourney time.  Seems like hurricaines are dogging this tournament.

As of this morning the storm isn't over and you don't ever know for sure what damage was done but Florence is a category 2 hurricane with big storm surge while PR got hit by two category 5 hurricanes.

Mrytle Beach live cam
https://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/?cam=myrtlebeach_hd

Puerto Rico damage pic

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 28, 2018, 07:24:38 PM
Some news about WKU our first round opponent.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/9/28/17914374/western-kentucky-hilltoppers-lamonte-bearden-ineligible-cusa-news-rick-stansbury

Golly, I'm very sorry this happened. I would much prefer to play them at full strength. The better the test, the better we like it. We don't want a possible victory tainted by "what if's."   

Does that pretty well run the gamut on bs statements people say at a time like this and never mean?  ;)

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on October 03, 2018, 11:43:19 AM
Should be a good tournament.

https://twitter.com/MyrtleInvite/status/1047456520420696066

Maybe it's just me having a chip on my shoulder, but would it kill them to say our name in the ad? "and 4 other teams" sounds somewhat disrespectful. It could just be me.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on October 03, 2018, 06:26:11 PMMaybe it's just me having a chip on my shoulder, but would it kill them to say our name in the ad? "and 4 other teams" sounds somewhat disrespectful. It could just be me.
My suggestion is that we purchase an additional set of Gold Jerseys which on their fronts, above their numbers will proudly say OPPONENT. This year we can take them to Myrtle Beach, West Virginia and Texas A&M. Because the Big Boys schedule us in ways designed to keep us nameless, I would view the action as our submissively carrying out their wishes.

It would benefit us to ask the broadcast teams to also say OPPONENT. This move could eliminate the pronunciation butchering which follows our school name.  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL, BABY!  That is, if we use it that way.   Is Matt the kind of guy who uses this kind thing?  No idea. But as the little guy in the MVC, we need to leverage any and all opportunities every time they pop up.

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on October 25, 2018, 05:14:24 PM
https://twitter.com/MyrtleInvite/status/1055565480495403010

It's going to be a heavy WVU crowd. Nice to hear it's going to be sold out. It should be a fun environment.

valpolaw

Does anyone have tickets for sale for the Valpo game that Friday night in Myrtle Beach or know how I could get three for a reasonable price? I should have bought tickets when they were released but didn't realize it would sell out and that the stadium only seats just over 3k. I was planning to go Friday night with some friends. The only tickets for that session are $180 each on prime sports. While I would consider paying that to watch Valpo in person because I live in the south and don't see them live often, my friends who didn't go to Valpo wouldn't be interested in spending that much, which I understand. We went last year in savannah and the place was practically empty. I realize this is a better tournament though.

agibson

Quote from: valpolaw on November 04, 2018, 07:27:53 PM
Does anyone have tickets for sale for the Valpo game that Friday night in Myrtle Beach or know how I could get three for a reasonable price? I should have bought tickets when they were released but didn't realize it would sell out and that the stadium only seats just over 3k. I was planning to go Friday night with some friends. The only tickets for that session are $180 each on prime sports. While I would consider paying that to watch Valpo in person because I live in the south and don't see them live often, my friends who didn't go to Valpo wouldn't be interested in spending that much, which I understand. We went last year in savannah and the place was practically empty. I realize this is a better tournament though.

Yeah, the Savannah comparison is striking. I'm really surprised this sold out!

VUBBFan

Quote from: agibson on November 04, 2018, 09:38:24 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on November 04, 2018, 07:27:53 PMDoes anyone have tickets for sale for the Valpo game that Friday night in Myrtle Beach or know how I could get three for a reasonable price? I should have bought tickets when they were released but didn't realize it would sell out and that the stadium only seats just over 3k. I was planning to go Friday night with some friends. The only tickets for that session are $180 each on prime sports. While I would consider paying that to watch Valpo in person because I live in the south and don't see them live often, my friends who didn't go to Valpo wouldn't be interested in spending that much, which I understand. We went last year in savannah and the place was practically empty. I realize this is a better tournament though.
Yeah, the Savannah comparison is striking. I'm really surprised this sold out!

The competing teams are a lot better than the Savannah tournament. I'm guessing of the 3500 seats, 3000 were bought by West Virginia and Western Kentucky. The official fan hotel reserved for WVU, WKU and VU sold out in less than two weeks. I'm thinking Valpo fans didn't buy very many rooms. The fan hotel for the remaining teams did not sell out. 

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Not at all. This is not a good sign for SIU either who plays Buffalo in just a few days.

VUGrad1314

Very few people on MVCFans are giving us any chance to do anything in this MTE. I hope we're able to prove some people wrong and perform well against this tough field.

justducky

Monmouth has opened the season losing to Lehigh and Colgate and will face St. Joseph's tonight at 6:00 CST on ESPN+. Might be an interesting watch?

Myrtle Beach is a great opportunity to jump into deep and freezing water to see how prepared we are to survive or thrive. Over a 3 game stretch just about everything should average out so our expected improvements in shooting, assists, turnovers and rebounding will all be far better understood. I am going to try to await the tourney completion before I go overboard in either direction with my extrapolations for the season. Hopefully this will keep my foot a comfortable 72" away from my mouth.  ;)

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteWVU won't be caught off guard after this loss to Buffalo.

If the Mountaineers were caught off guard before Buffalo, they need their heads examined. The Bulls returned *everyone* and their coach from the team that just absolutely nuked Arizona in the tourney last spring and are now in the Top 25 (and got one vote for 10th).

(What I'm saying is WVU got flat-out beat by a better team -- that was no upset, so it shouldn't impact our game one way or the other).

IrishDawg

Saint Joseph's destroys Wake Forest in game 1 of the tourney - 89-69.

crusadermoe

The preview calls Valpo's first MVC season a "disaster."  Ouch!   But they point out that we do "return" Evelyn, Smits, and Fazekas.  Hmm.  Will see.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 15, 2018, 03:24:23 PM
The preview calls Valpo's first MVC season a "disaster."  Ouch!   But they point out that we do "return" Evelyn, Smits, and Fazekas.  Hmm.  Will see.

Yeah I read that too. I'd say the 1st half of Conference play was definitely a disaster but they improved as the season went on. It definitely didn't go as planned. National media pundants don't care to dig deep into why it went wrong (burton, Tevonn's illness, etc).

justducky

Quote from: justducky on November 12, 2018, 02:09:05 PMMyrtle Beach is a great opportunity to jump into deep and freezing water to see how prepared we are to survive or thrive. Over a 3 game stretch just about everything should average out so our expected improvements in shooting, assists, turnovers and rebounding will all be far better understood. I am going to try to await the tourney completion before I go overboard in either direction with my extrapolations for the season. Hopefully this will keep my foot a comfortable 72" away from my mouth. 

1-2 is not what I was looking for. The major plus is that our TOs vs assists is much improved vs early 17-18. Otherwise we are not ready for prime time. I'll need to see Jay and Micah healthy before I venture another guess for how good this team can be, but for now we are only slightly better than we were in Feb. Much could change when Jay returns and the role for Mileek might be altered before it is even fully established.  :o 

Long story--short, I'm expecting to see a lot of changes and adjustments before the Redbirds arrive to open MVC play and our methods of attack may change slightly not only for every opponent but with every substitution.  :thumbsup: