• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #5 - Valpo @ Dayton 10/6 Noon

Started by VULB#62, September 30, 2018, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

At least Valpo can't cover their bad punts.

The good news is rather than having to run the ball on offense to keep their defense off the field....something which appears to completely escape Valpo's coaching staff...because of the punt return, Valpo doesn't have to put the defense right back on the field. Excellent strategy.

JD24

Nice bounce back TD.....and we miss the PAT.

JD24

VULB#62

Tracker has Rene doing PATs. Its like watching the cash register at Pic and Save ringing up produce.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2018, 01:25:20 PMTracker has Rene doing PATs. Its like watching the cash register at Pic and Save ringing up produce.
He may as well be.

Sts:
Missed PATMissed (short) FGBad punt returned for TDMuffed punt at own 12.

Nice job getting the ball down the field at end of half only to miss the FG.

Next to last drive of half the play calling I don't agree with. Duncan missed a couple of throws but they were not high percentage throws. Give the QB the easy 8 yarder for the first down instead of trying to score on every play.

vu72

WTF???  Missed extra point, mised chip shot FG, Fumbled punt, passes not even close...other than that, we are playing great! An unmitigated disaster.   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

So Rene (Latsonas, I know) has missed both a PAT and a 23 yard FG?  He is usually automatic. What else can go wrong? Looks like they are running Cartales though and he is responding.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2018, 01:32:58 PMSo Rene (Latsonas, I know) has missed both a PAT and a 23 yard FG?  He is usually automatic. What else can go wrong? Looks like they are running Cartales though and he is responding.
We got you covered VULB#62
Bad snap on a punt for a safety.

Quality play on special teams this week.

VULB#62

Last few seconds.  Finally got to see some video for 5 minutes.  53-20.  But Cartales went 15 for 115 and 7,7 average.  But Duncan only 10-25 and 121.  Their QB: 19/22 for 292.  Only a 62 and a 39 yarder given up deep.  But as Tom Brady would tell you, quick dink and dunk controls the game -- but it has to be quick.  Even at the end it appeared against their subs that nothing was quick (meaning fast moves, rapid drop and quick release -- very thoughtful -- but not good.

Names I was looking for in the stats:  Rene, Turner, Sutter, JDM.  ??????  Seewald being shut down for the season?

JD24

Dave's comments after the game.

Throws Turner under the bus....or so it sounded...for not playing.

Criticizes Duncan for a poor read, poor throw, etc. even though the coverage was exactly was expected

Special Teams poor play.

No mention of the team appearing to not be ready to play for the 2nd week in a row. That would be coaching.

He really needs a lesson in humility. How Jean Rene didn't say something to him after last week's game PC I don't know. I would have applauded the player had he done so.

It's never the coaches fault with these guys.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2018, 03:04:00 PMLast few seconds.  Finally got to see some video for 5 minutes.  53-20.  But Cartales went 15 for 115 and 7,7 average.  But Duncan only 10-25 and 121.  Their QG: 19/22 for 292.  Only a 62 aand a 39 yarder given up deep.  But as Tom Brady would tell you, quick dink and dunk controls the game -- but it has to be quick.  Even at teh end it appeared against their subs taht nothing was quick (meaning fast moves, rapid drop and quick releae -- very thoughtful -- but not good. Names I was looking for in the stats:  Rene, Turner, Sutter, JDM.  ??????  Seewald being shut down for the season?
Rene and Sutter played. JDM concussion, Turner knee, Seewald shoulder did not.

vu72

I heard the tv announcer say that you could now play in 4 games and still redshirt.  Seewald was dressed.  Perhaps they are going to redshirt him.  If we get blown out at home by that team from Indy, all the great work and respect Dave has garnered over the last four years could evaporate very quickly.  When does basketball season start? Oh, and the special teams coach should be canned today.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Thinking about redshirting in nonscholarship football is absurb. If Seewald graduates in 4 years, why pay for another year? Besides, Valpo's graduate program is very limited.

The defense is brutal and in a state of disarray.

covufan

Did they dust off the old playbook and bring back the lonesome polecat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 06, 2018, 04:08:25 PM
Thinking about redshirting in nonscholarship football is absurb. If Seewald graduates in 4 years, why pay for another year? Besides, Valpo's graduate program is very limited.

The defense is brutal and in a state of disarray.

There are redshirts playing all over the PFL.  I suppose Jimmy could take fewer credits so that it wouldn't cost him more or he could finish and then do one semester in grad school.  As for Valpo's graduate programs, there are 25 graduate degree programs including 3 Phd's.  Jimmy is a business major.  Valpo has a very good MBA program.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on October 06, 2018, 03:53:19 PM
I heard the tv announcer say that you could now play in 4 games and still redshirt.  Seewald was dressed.  Perhaps they are going to redshirt him.  If we get blown out at home by that team from Indy, all the great work and respect Dave has garnered over the last four years could evaporate very quickly.  When does basketball season start? Oh, and the special teams coach should be canned today.

I believe he (Seewald) has now played in 2 games - TSU and Davidson. He could play a "semi-RS" year by being selectively played in only two more. We would get less than a half a year out of him and IF HE PROGRESSES and returns to his previous level of skill, we'd be in pretty good shape for one year at least. We do have some good grad studies, but limited. He need only hang around fo an additional semester to complete his full eligibility.

Having said that, it's like throwing in the towel. And I don't like doing that.

How could a season that had so many high expectations go into the toilet in only 3 games?  I don't count Duquesne where we played like the team I expected us to be and we did reasonably well although we lost.  And with YSU, which was a body bag anyway we "only" gave up 42, but then 40 to Davidson?? Now, we give up 53 here. Although 53 points allowed says a lot about our Defensive scheme, it also reflects badly on the offense for allowing Dayton to be on the field too long. We need more stops, more 3 and outs, more turnovers. But we need better ball control on offense as well.

usc4valpo

Coach c needs to quit dusting his coach o the year trophy and get this mess cleaned up

usc4valpo

If I am Seewald and looking for an MBA program that has value to your career, and I have to pay for it, I would lookat the top national programs. Also, an MBA out of college is these better economic times may not be optimal, you want want to work for a year or two and then go for it.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 06, 2018, 05:49:45 PM
If I am Seewald and looking for an MBA program that has value to your career, and I have to pay for it, I would lookat the top national programs. Also, an MBA out of college is these better economic times may not be optimal, you want want to work for a year or two and then go for it.

I doubt you have any idea how valuable or not valuable a Valpo MBA may be.  After all, you are the one who said the Valpo graduate programs are "very limited" without even checking the Valpo website.

VUGrad1314

What in blazes has happened here? How has this program fallen so fast so quickly? It's as if the coach has decided to coast after getting his extension or the players just decided to quit after the Duquesne loss. It feels like all the momentum from last year has been erased and the team is  headed back to the dark ages.  Just when you thought coach C was building something. Hopefully the boys will rally, beat Butler, keep the helmet, and finish the season strong; but I can't see how they pull that off after a performance like this.

Deets

Coach C talks about the inconsistency on offense.  I think this could have something to do with playing 3 different QB throughout single games, and every time our offense gets some momentum, as we did at he end of the half (in the last 3 games), he takes out the O line starters, including his all conference player, to switch it up on crucial downs.  Of course there is no consistency.  Only one of the team captains set foot on the field yesterday, which is also a psychological blow, especially when the coach constantly reminds everyone that those are his leaders. And clock management, for the third game in a row has been ridiculous.  Why do we take out our starting O line (when they have just scored on our previous possession) with three minutes to go in the half (just like last week) and then throw clock stopping incomplete passes (with a back up O line on the field) to stop the clock and give the ball back to an offense that has only punted once in the entire half?  And then take out your senior starting punter on a punt out of our end zone that resulted in a safety...I have seen this all year.  The coach is killing any momentum we get with his line up switches and ridiculous clock management.  It's as if he does not want the offense to outperform his defense that he still finds ways to praise each week.  With less than a minute to go in the half he then puts in the O line starters and they drive again down the field.  Yes, they missed the field goal, but what they didn't do was hand the ball back to their offense on a 3-and-out.  Perhaps if the starters had played the entire first half we might have orchestrated a clock eating drive and maybe even put some points on the board to close the half with momentum on our side.   At the very least, we could have given our best offense a chance to prevent Dayton from scoring 9 points in those last three minutes.  Instead, the entire team comes off the field deflated and defeated in the first half because they do not feel that the coach is coaching to win.  With so many injuries, subbing out crucial players on important drives is only adding to their troubles.

VULB#62

Thanks for that observation on the substitution patterns.  The most obvious patterns are the sub groups among the wide recievers and RBs, but line sub groupings go largely unnoticed.  I could see doing that if we're back in the era of single platoon football in the early 1960s, because players were required to be on the field both ways, but today's players rest between drives, so that's not it.  And your point that Valpo, building depth (if that's what's behind the sub patterns) by sacrificing wins, makes little sense is well taken.

usc4valpo

I think the defensive coordinator performance should be critiqued and at least from the press conferences I feel Cecchini is protecting him. But who knows what happens behind the scenes.

VULB#62

We know Dave is an O guy.  No one knows how much the HC is involved in D, however. The O-Line subbing, if accurately depicted above, does create concerns. I can see spotting backups in individually for experience,but there they are surrounded by experienced linemen who can help the sub be successful.

Nothing outstanding can be said for the defense at this time.  Not a single player has stood out as a playmaker (T for L, sacks, INTs, fumbles caused, etc.) Booker's 20 tackles in this light is actually a team negative.

Who has stood out on O?  Cartales running the ball and Norberg's deep routes.  None of the QBs stand out, per se.

Special Teams?  Nothing there either (I would have said FGs and PATs until this past game).

Deets

We have lost two games by only one score.  Why a coach would have an All Conference O Line player sit out even one down of any offensive possession is beyond comprehension.  To have him sit out a quarter of our offensive possessions each game this season is just plain ridiculous.