• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #6 - Valpo vs. Butler (Hoosier Helmet) 10/13 1:00pm

Started by VULB#62, October 07, 2018, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Drake pommeled Butler 36-6.  Drake had the boys from Indy down 34-0 at 9:58 of Q4 despite BU having a stat edge in many categories and were close in others. Glaring stat is that BU had a TOP of 41:31 to only 18:29 for Drake.  That is amazing that they lost by such a wide margin.

And to just emphasize our current season woes, Davidson (now 5-1 overall and one game from a winning season)  beat JU 44-37 and had the Dolphins down  44-9 at the begnning of Q4.

Standings are attached (click to enlarge).  Going into Butler we are dragging a 5 game losing streak with us.  Meanwhile, Davidson is now tied for 3rd in the PFL with Butler (3-2 overall) tied for 5th with a 1-1 record.

From the Drake website:  https://godrakebulldogs.com/news/2018/10/6/football-beats-butler-36-6.aspx

Some excerpts:

Drake (3-1, 2-0 PFL) allowed only 253 total yards of offense and just 176 through the first three quarters. Butler (3-2, 1-1 PFL) gained only 119 yards on the ground and 134 yards in the air while running 33 more plays than Drake.

"Our defense is playing so well it gives our offense time to adjust," said Drake head coach Rick Fox. "Our defense came out, played well and our offense and special teams were able to make the adjustments they needed to get the W today."

"It always starts up front, giving Grant the time to do the things he does," Fox said. "Our receivers are just big physical guys and that gives them the chance to catch 50-50 balls and make plays."

VULB#62

I'm not sure how we deserve this:  Sagarin has us at #248 out of 255. We are still ahead of Morehead, Davidson, JU and Stetson.

JD24

Drake may be the best team in the league this season.

VULB#62

usc4valpo

And no one is Des Moines is noticing. Drake is playing great!

valpofb16

Saw Dayton highlights and score.

Valpo gave up a whopping 53 points to a team they held to 8 last season. Dayton had lost their starting QB for the season and lost to a downtrodden Marist team last week. Defense is not doing well.

JDM, Nick Turner, and Leandre have all missed significant time. Someone stated Cecchini hinted that Turner could have played and did not. I do not believe that, not Nick's personality.

I am not really seeing any accountability sent the coach's direction. This is not good. Our talent is up but we are a high penalty undisciplined team.

Must win this week, or looking like an 0-For

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 08, 2018, 01:43:51 PMSomeone stated Cecchini hinted that Turner could have played and did not. I do not believe that, not Nick's personality
Coach said it in the interview right after the game. Said they had gotten to the point where they thought he was ready to go and then he didn't go. I agree that it doesn't sound like the player in question.
QuoteI am not really seeing any accountability sent the coach's direction. This is not good. 
A long standing issue.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 07, 2018, 10:36:25 AM
And to just emphasize our current season woes, Davidson (now 5-1 overall and one game from a winning season)  beat JU 44-37 and had the Dolphins down  44-9 at the begnning of Q4.

Just saw this.  Kinda reinforces the progress Davidson is making (granted their first to wins were DII and DIII) while we are regressing.  people early on were saying, wait till they play PFL teams, but they seem to actually actually be getting better each week as they get more comfortable with their O..

[tweet]1049690742547976192[/tweet]

However, I did get a chance to see some video highlights of the Wildcat's option offense against JU and I came away impressed by not only the option choices but the deception built into their game.  That's extraordnary to be able to do that in year one of a totally new and different system.  Tough reads for any defense.  This is not the Davidson of past years by a long shot.  But it is basically many of the same  players from last year. 

How does this have any bearing on Saturday? 1) We are not facing this type of offense (thankfully) and 2) we have  a lot of tape of Butler's O and D schemes.  We should be well prepared and need to execute.  However,  I thought the same about Dayton (until the red steamroller flattened that idea last Saturday), so there are no guarantees we will come to play.

JD24

FWIW...Butler's been running the ball better than throwing it the last couple of weeks. QB doesn't appear as if he's played particularly well during these two games (beat MSU and lost to Drake).

valpofb16

Looking at the Butler game recap from last year.

We are likely without our leaders in

Passing-Seewald
Rushing-Morgan
Receiving-Navarro
Defense-Turner, Nunes

Interesting to say the least, if we come out and fight it will be a great sign, another blowout and we may start playing some young guys

VULB#62

Conspicuous by their absence on the new 2-Deep for the Butler game: Turner and JDM

QB still an "OR" between Seewald and Duncan.

usc4valpo

With Valpo and USC playing sucky football and Notre Dame winning and playoff bound, this is one of my worst college seasons ever. Thank you Bears!

JD24

Previews are now around 5 mins. Formerly 8-9 minutes. Plenty of time for Dave to call out players by name. I get it. It's all on the players. Nothing falls on the coaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntMrolnXRi4

usc4valpo

I saw this in the Valpo preview notes and had to laugh:

Game 50: Saturday will be Dave Cecchini's 50th game as the head coach at Valpo. A win over Butler would allow Cecchini to be Valpo's winningest coach through the first 50 games of his tenure since Bill Koch coached his 50th game on Sept. 18, 1982 at Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

Cecchini could be at the same greatness as Cookie. Valpo football history is sad indeed.

valpofb16

It is frustrating that the players are being blamed to the extent they are. However players play the game.

Some uncontrollable circumstances for the staff this year.

Injuries: Larose, Seewald, Boxrucker, Leandre, Markoff, Duncan, Turner, Diaz-Martinez, Lane (Coming off missed season), Osmond (coming off missed season), Studyvin (RS due to injury last season) have all had injuries stunt their season one way or another

Attrition: Navarro (Starting WR), Scargle (Starting DB), Campbell (Missed last season due to personal issues), Brimmage (heavy rotation DB).

Our strengths this season have been the OL and Cartales this season. We should be running RPO with Duncan/Markoff that teams run against us with Cartales as the downhill back. Keeps defense off of field.

Defense, D-Line Osmond, Olojo, Reed, Studyvin seem to be getting vast majority of snaps. Gedrys, Trumpower,Goebel, and Orlandini played a ton last year on a much better front.  Wheeler was an ILB in high school, the staff loves Bishop, if Skarecky is not getting it done and Turner not close move Wheeler inside.  DB's are an issue Booker is competent, You can really tell Campbell and Lane missed last year. JDM is injured and Kelly is a sophomore (Who was behind Brimmage and Scargle at very end of last season).

If we lose this game there is no question redshirt Jimmy for better or worse. If Turner won't be ready for a good amount of time or Leandre, see if they would accept that possibility.

Everyone is frustrated in the locker room and fans are too. If you look at the personnel outside of OL many different players are playing this season. Largely due to injury and attrition, but some due to coaches moving away from players who have worked in the past

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 11, 2018, 02:22:15 PMIt is frustrating that the players are being blamed to the extent they are. However players play the game.
It's a little unusual for a coach to single out specific players for in game mistakes as Cecchini routinely does...some with the player sitting right next to them. I can understand some criticism particularly in a general sense such as "Special teams were really bad" or "we dropped too many passes". I can't understand calling out players who clearly are going to know they need to avoid the mistakes they make and the Turner comment was just uncalled for regarding not playing. This is particularly the case when the coach never mentions the coaching staff in anything resembling a negative light including himself. A simple "we need to coach better" as we hear from a lot of competent coaches at all level of football would make his other comments more palatable if still out of place. His one coach comment over the last few weeks was praising Coach Moore for making some adjustments at halftime of the Davidson game. This after getting completely lit up the first half of the game and then not being able to stop a triple offense option for a couple of minutes at the end of the game. Yeah...that guy deserves a mention. A comment of "Coach Moore can't stop anything with these guys" would fit into what he does with the players.

QuoteOur strengths this season have been the OL and Cartales this season. We should be running RPO with Duncan/Markoff that teams run against us with Cartales as the downhill back. Keeps defense off of field.
Can we hold a PC and announce this to the coaching staff since it has been mentioned by more than one poster. Hey Dave....this means you.

QuoteDB's are an issue Booker is competent, You can really tell Campbell and Lane missed last year. JDM is injured and Kelly is a sophomore (Who was behind Brimmage and Scargle at very end of last season).
The DB opposite Campbell has really struggled at times both stopping the run and in coverage. Hebda (the 41 version) was in there vs. Dayton for some time after Kelly came out.

JD24

I don't think Butler can score as Valpo can. I see a close victory for Valpo. 27-24. Could be the start of a win streak as Morehead St is next.

usc4valpo

JD24 - where did you buy your brown and gold koolaid?

JD24

VULB#62

JD24

Butler appears inept. Should be a walk away for Valpo.

Deets

Looks like the coach is still finding ways to stifle the offense.  14-0 and all the momentum, and the coach pulls out his All Conference lineman (again).  A penalty by his replacement and their only 3 and out of the game gave Butler a big shot in the arm.  And they scored on the very next drive.  I'm still trying to come up with an explanation as to why you EVER take #73 off of that O Line.

vu72

Who is wearing the Crusader uniforms??  Butler goes down!!  All is right with the world!  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: Deets on October 13, 2018, 02:24:37 PMLooks like the coach is still finding ways to stifle the offense.  14-0 and all the momentum, and the coach pulls out his All Conference lineman (again).  A penalty by his replacement and their only 3 and out of the game gave Butler a big shot in the arm.  And they scored on the very next drive.  I'm still trying to come up with an explanation as to why you EVER take #73 off of that O Line.
Have him ask the coach.

Good win for Valpo. Chance for 2 in a row vs. MSU.

Deets

Defense really stepped up.  Offense was solid.  Great win for the helmet!