• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #7 - Valpo @ Morehead State - 1:00pm

Started by VULB#62, October 14, 2018, 01:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Time to build off this performance and go with what won yesterday's game:  good defense and controlling the clock with the run game. Morehead did something we couldn't do -- beat Davidson.  We have got to use the momentum gained and continue that down in Kentucky.  I hope the staff has recognized that we can run the ball (hopefully Cartales is OK and we get JDM back) and that our runs open up the passing and not vis. versa.

JD24

The guess here is that Valpo will have to outscore MSU with a final in the mid 30's at least for both teams.

Cartales was moving ok after the game. Gingerly on what appears to be an ankle issue but he wasn't moving as if it was serious. Of course, sometimes it stiffens overnight and it's more of an issue than first thought.

VULB#62

We had a shootout at home last year that challenged credibility:  Valpo won 63-32.  No reason to believe that MSU can't score 32 again this year.  But can we score 33?

VULB#62

From the most recent 2-Deep, it looks like we get Nick Turner and Jalen LeAndre back on the defensive side. Still no JDM.  FWIW, I like Scarsella's size as a SS at 6'4"  and 210#.  Matches up well with TEs and has the length and beef to stuff the strong side run.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 17, 2018, 11:06:05 AMFrom the most recent 2-Deep, it looks like we get Nick Turner and Jalen LeAndre back on the defensive side. Still no JDM.  FWIW, I like Scarsella's size as a SS at 6'4"  and 210#.  Matches up well with TEs and has the length and beef to stuff the strong side run.
A guy with that size who can run wouldn't be at Valpo. He's probably better suited as a box guy as more of an extra LBer.

mila

Why wouldn't he be at Valpo? Last I read this is a D-1 school is it not? And please don't give me the old song "It's a glorified D-3 program" You do not play with the Western Illinois, Illinois States, Youngstown States, Montanas, North Dakotas etal over the years if you are a D-3 school. I realize the Pioneer League is one of the lower rated leagues, but remember every year there is a doctor or a lawyer or an officer who graduates last in their class They are still expected to do their job.

VULB#62

This is from his ValpoFB bio.

Was named Team MVP as a senior in addition to becoming an all-state all-star... Team captain for the Vikings while making three interceptions, recording 50 tackles, forcing three fumbles and racking up 12 pass breakups as a senior... Member of National Honor Society and earned academic all-state honors.

Couldn't find his Hudl highlights.  On paper, he has some credentials.  Speed is important, but a football mind is equally valuable.  Visualizing what is unfolding in front of you, anticipating and instinctively moving to the right spot can make up for a lack of blinding speed.  I'm only guessing, but he at least has TE speed and that is not 4.3.  He  did get one key pick last week to help ice the game.

And as an added footnote, it is good to see a VHS grad in the 2-Deep. VHS has had some good teams and players have gone on to excell for other colleges. Keeping a few kids here can only help with town support of the university.  That's a good thing.

JD24

Quote from: mila on October 17, 2018, 02:21:00 PMWhy wouldn't he be at Valpo? Last I read this is a D-1 school is it not? And please don't give me the old song "It's a glorified D-3 program" You do not play with the Western Illinois, Illinois States, Youngstown States, Montanas, North Dakotas etal over the years if you are a D-3 school. I realize the Pioneer League is one of the lower rated leagues, but remember every year there is a doctor or a lawyer or an officer who graduates last in their class They are still expected to do their job.
If he had the size he has and had the speed we're talking about along with the grades he likely has he'd be at a higher and probably much higher end program who would likely to be happy to provide his education for him for free. It's that simple.

usc4valpo

Mila - I totally disagree with you. The Pioneer is a glorified Division 3 program and IS the worst conference in Division 1. In Iowa, several Division 3 and NAIA programs (for example, Grandview and Central) would beat Valpo.

mila

Disagree all you want, however, Valpo is a division 1 football program. The Pioneer league is lower rated, but it's representative has won first round games in consecutive years.

Deets

Switching up the O Line again!  Played phenomenal football last week, so time to take out your All Conference player in the 1st quarter.    SMH

JD24

Changes in the secondary. JDM is playing CB with Scarsella at Safety.

JD24

JDM gets flattened on a running play and Nick Turner makes an appearance to help him off the field. I assume Cartales is also out since he hasn't made an appearance. He has really been missed through the first quarter and a half.

JD24

Though behind, Valpo seems to have seized momentum 5mins left in 2nd Q.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on October 20, 2018, 02:14:14 PM
Though behind, Valpo seems to have seized momentum 5mins left in 2nd Q.

Think again.  A little over 100 yards of offense to their over 300.  Our quarterbacks suck.  When are going to get a kid like they have?  If we score on offense in the second half, I'll be surprised.   >:(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on October 20, 2018, 02:32:39 PM
Quote from: JD24 on October 20, 2018, 02:14:14 PMThough behind, Valpo seems to have seized momentum 5mins left in 2nd Q.
Think again.  A little over 100 yards of offense to their over 300.  Our quarterbacks suck.  When are going to get a kid like they have?  If we score on offense in the second half, I'll be surprised.   >:(
Well...they HAD momentum  ;D . Driving and then fall short on fourth down and the mighty defense lets MSU go right down the field in about a minute.

I don't think the issue is the QBs. The OL is supposed to be good but hasn't been and the WRs have dropped some passes MSU's guys have caught. Valpo should be able to run the ball with any of their backs with the experience on the OL but either the OL isn't as good as I thought coming into the season or the backs other than Cartales that this staff has brought in are lacking. None of the backs brought in the last two classes can get on the field?

JD24

One thing Valpo does not have is a WR the likes of Higginbotham.

JD24

Whoever is calling the plays for Valpo needs to lose the deep 7 route on key downs. It's a low percentage pass which has not been completed once in the last 3 games and picked off in the endzone one time costing Valpo a score. Coaches can't come up with a 3rd and 4 play to keep possession. Run it, dump it, throw a sit down to the TE. Anything other than a low pct pass attempt. Keep the ball. That's just poor play calling.

Deets

The O Line is good, when they play their best players.  When they take them out every other set of downs, they are stymied.  The play calling at the end of the half was again terrible and led to a score.  This boggles my mind that with so many injuries, you bench one of the three All Conference returners.  I know I sound like a broken record, but I can not fathom why every other set of downs the coach benches the starters on the O line.  Then three incomplete passes with no pass protection with a minute and a half left in the second, giving it back to them to score.  I just watched a set of downs where we ran the ball for a first down, and then got it to 3rd and 4, and we throw a 30 yard incomplete pass.  So frustrating! Is it possible the coaches are trying hard to make sure the offense is as bad as the defense? 

JD24

Need a stop here. Still in the game if we get the ball back.

JD24

Is holding them to a FG while letting them use 3 1/2 mins of clock getting a stop?

JD24

Apparently I was fooled by the strategy of letting MSU make the FG which was only setting them up for Bailey to run one back. Silly me.

Still in it.

usc4valpo

Mila - so what does it mean to be division 1? For Valpo, it is not a choice by the NCAA if they want to be Div. 1 in their other sports. As for the mighty Div. 1 Pioneer conference,  6 of the the bottom 10 Div. 1 teams in the Sagarin  ratings are Pioneer conference teams.