• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #5- SIU-Edwardsville 7pm- no TV

Started by talksalot, November 19, 2018, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Somebody had to start this thread.

Missing my 11th game in 32 years.  Thanks to Mike For letting me enjoy two of my grandchildren birthdays.

Let's run these guys out of the gym.

VULB#62

What does SIU-E bring to the Homer Drew Court in 2018?

govalpogo

Wait, why no tv?  I thought I saw that it was on Espn + at one point?

VULB#62

Quote from: govalpogo on November 19, 2018, 08:27:47 PM

Wait for it....... it may appear tomorrow on the Valpo Athletic website or on game day morning.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 19, 2018, 08:48:43 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on November 19, 2018, 08:27:47 PM

Wait for it....... it may appear tomorrow on the Valpo Athletic website or on game day morning.

Valpo Athletics site says ESPN+

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/schedule/

M

VULB#62

Tah dah!

Actually I saw the listing at the top of the site and all it said this afternoon was that there would only be audio and stats. But that happens frequently. It gets updated as things develop.

Smj

I have ESPN+ so it better be shown on there...   I'd be pretty surprised if we can't find a way to win this one.    (We better see Jay sitting on the bench for this game...)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smj

Yep ...   listed on ESPN+...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VU2014

Valpo wins by 25 point. There is no excuse to lose this game (but I said the same thing about the UIndy game though...).

I'm expecting we'll see Daniel Sackey get some extended run in this game if the key role players take care of business early. Hopefully Jay can make his season debut and at least play a little bit.

I really want to see Mileek get some extended minutes as well. He just needs to learn to not foul. One or two of those fouls in the wake forest game looked suspect to me.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on November 19, 2018, 10:31:20 PM
Valpo wins by 25 point. There is no excuse to lose this game (but I said the same thing about the UIndy game though...).

I'm expecting we'll see Daniel Sackey get some extended run in this game if the key role players take care of business early. Hopefully Jay can make his season debut and at least play a little bit.

I really want to see Mileek get some extended minutes as well. He just needs to learn to not foul. One or two of those fouls in the wake forest game looked suspect to me.

As in the past, it'll not be a Lottich decision; it'll be totally in Mileek's hands (or feet).  If he can defend without fouling three times in 4 minutes he'll play at least 4 minutes, if he can defend without piling up 3 fouls in 7 minutes, he'll play seven minutes.

What I don't get is how come we have seen little or no improvement in this particular area over his freshman season.  This is the one area that was incredibly obvious as a prime target for improvement.  He's fiiled out some, gotten stronger and with that should come greater agility and power.  Couple that with the coaches intensely (I hope) working on his footwork, positioning and defensive technique since he walked on campus a year ago in 2017 and we should be seeing a quantum leap in defensive performance.  Could it be that he has trouble recognizing movement patterns and anticipating what is happening around him and, as a result, is slow to react which leads to the fouling?

valpopal

In the "Good News" category  :)

[tweet]1064955345972404228[/tweet]

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on November 20, 2018, 01:00:59 PM

At the time he missed being on the bench I had thought maybe his father was ill again?  Complete conjecture, but seems as if maybe he was not on campus and Paul's tweet makes me feel stronger about this hunch.

Hope all is well with him, I like his play and what he brings to the team (rebounding / blocks and general toughness).  He's a nice "yin" to Smits' "yang" . . .

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2018, 09:49:32 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 19, 2018, 10:31:20 PM

As in the past, it'll not be a Lottich decision; it'll be totally in Mileek's hands (or feet).  If he can defend without fouling three times in 4 minutes he'll play at least 4 minutes, if he can defend without piling up 3 fouls in 7 minutes, he'll play seven minutes.

What I don't get is how come we have seen little or no improvement in this particular area over his freshman season.  This is the one area that was incredibly obvious as a prime target for improvement.  He's fiiled out some, gotten stronger and with that should come greater agility and power.  Couple that with the coaches intensely (I hope) working on his footwork, positioning and defensive technique since he walked on campus a year ago in 2017 and we should be seeing a quantum leap in defensive performance.  Could it be that he has trouble recognizing movement patterns and anticipating what is happening around him and, as a result, is slow to react which leads to the fouling?

I think we've seen subtle improvements to his game in the limited minutes he's played. Maybe the fouling comes down to basketball instincts or lack of experience at his position.

Mileek grew up playing basketball as a guard and then had a rapid growth spurt later in his high school career, which forced him to switch positions. He has some guard skills which help him on the offensive end but maybe it negatively affected him on the defensive end. M would know this better than anyone but I think he played out of position at the 5 in high school at Merriville. Defending high school centers and D1 bigs is a night at day difference. Did he have the propensity to foul so much in high school?

Mileek's development is a marathon and not a sprint. We all knew he was prettty raw coming out of high school. The potential is clearly there but the foul troubles are just a little frustrating at the moment.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 20, 2018, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: valpopal on November 20, 2018, 01:00:59 PM

At the time he missed being on the bench I had thought maybe his father was ill again?  Complete conjecture, but seems as if maybe he was not on campus and Paul's tweet makes me feel stronger about this hunch.

Hope all is well with him, I like his play and what he brings to the team (rebounding / blocks and general toughness).  He's a nice "yin" to Smits' "yang" . . .

Where did he go? Did he leave campus for personal reasons or treatment? Oddly phrased and leaves some room for interpretation.

I'm wondering where his cardio is at. He probably won't be at full speed for a couple games. I doubt he was doing much conditioning with a bad ankle.

govalpogo

This one's got to be counted on as a W.  Would be very disappointed with anything under a double digit win...not really satisfied if it's not at least a 20 point win.  SIUe has losses to Pacific and Winthrop by 9 and 12 respectively.  Looking at scores, those two programs don't seem inept, but aren't setting the world on fire either. 

May see some final kinks trying to get worked out, I'll say Valpo wins 83-61. 

VU2014

I guess he was rehabbing the injury in Spain with the national team doctors. That has to be a great resource.

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1064981915462062080

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on November 20, 2018, 02:48:44 PM
I guess he was rehabbing the injury in Spain with the national team doctors. That has to be a great resource.

Did he attend classes and submit work all remotely and is that OK by NCAA rules to maintain eleigibility?  Wonderful if that's OK.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2018, 03:19:45 PM

Did he attend classes and submit work all remotely and is that OK by NCAA rules to maintain eleigibility?  Wonderful if that's OK.

I'm sure Valpo did all their homework to make sure this was fine from an eligibility standpoint and that he was staying in good academic standing.  No reason to think otherwise.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2018, 03:19:45 PM

At a lot of Power 5 Conferences a lot of the students take online courses and rarely step foot in a classroom their entire "academic" career. Apparently that's what a lot of the programs that pump out NBA do these days (ex: Kentucky). It reduces the academic commitment and makes it very easy for them to remain eligible. Not much school work happens.

I'm sure Jay was able submit his course work electronically and he may have even been able to live stream or record his lectures. I'm not sure how much class he missed though. I don't know how long he was in Spain for. I hope the jet lag doesn't affect him too much.

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 20, 2018, 03:44:45 PM
I'm sure Valpo did all their homework to make sure this was fine from an eligibility standpoint and that he was staying in good academic standing.  No reason to think otherwise.

To be on the safe side, maybe they should self-report this and voluntarily hold him out until such time the NCAA rules on his case.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on November 20, 2018, 07:07:28 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on November 20, 2018, 03:44:45 PM

To be on the safe side, maybe they should self-report this and voluntarily hold him out until such time the NCAA rules on his case.

Hey Paul, can we look forward to a USH podcast this week?

NativeCheesehead

WH, you don't go far enough. This is the NCAA and we are a mid major. I recommend Jay retire and refuse to ever pick up a basketball again, then enter into a monastery for a period of no less than 20 years, living out his penance with daily fasting and self flagelation. On the fourth day of each month, he shall proceed to the highest mountain in the land (Mount Baldy) and invoke the names of the last 17 NCAA Directors, begging for forgiveness from his transgressions of once thinking about sleeping in and missing class after a double overtime win against Purdue Northwest.

Assuming he does all this, we may only receive 25 years probation and have to forfeit all our past victories to Oral Roberts.

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 20, 2018, 08:31:14 PM
WH, you don't go far enough. This is the NCAA and we are a mid major. I recommend Jay retire and refuse to ever pick up a basketball again, then enter into a monastery for a period of no less than 20 years, living out his penance with daily fasting and self flagelation. On the fourth day of each month, he shall proceed to the highest mountain in the land (Mount Baldy) and invoke the names of the last 17 NCAA Directors, begging for forgiveness from his transgressions of once thinking about sleeping in and missing class after a double overtime win against Purdue Northwest.

Assuming he does all this, we may only receive 25 years probation and have to forfeit all our past victories to Oral Roberts.

Still laughing!  :clap:

VUSWIM08-12

Betting line opens with Valpo -15, I really hope we cover, but I'll take any win at this point. Can we get Sackey some late game minutes and maybe he'll make a jumper and not airball it  :o Love his quickness. Also if someone could talk to Bakari and tell him to avoid ill-advised 3s that'd be great. Juniors should know better, and WE NEED A LEADER! Po' by 24.
VU-88
SIUE-64