• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lehigh Football Head Coach

Started by VUCRUSVU, December 05, 2018, 02:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUCRUSVU

Hearing Rumors that Lehigh may be looking for a new head football coach.  Just reading their board and "Coach Watch" thread, DC has been mentioned a couple of times.  Should we be worried? 

vu72

Quote from: VUCRUSVU on December 05, 2018, 02:41:41 PM
Hearing Rumors that Lehigh may be looking for a new head football coach.  Just reading their board and "Coach Watch" thread, DC has been mentioned a couple of times.  Should we be worried? 

Will they have a head coaching job for his wife as well?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

After the 2017 season I would have said yes. How Lehigh sells bringing in a 2-9 coach I'm not sure. So I would say this is not a season to be worried after for any job.

VUCRUSVU

Quote from: vu72 on December 06, 2018, 09:05:23 AM
Quote from: VUCRUSVU on December 05, 2018, 02:41:41 PMHearing Rumors that Lehigh may be looking for a new head football coach.  Just reading their board and "Coach Watch" thread, DC has been mentioned a couple of times.  Should we be worried?
Will they have a head coaching job for his wife as well?

I don't think that would matter.

VUCRUSVU

Its official, the Lehigh job is open.

valpotx

He will probably interview, but I don't think he gets it after this last season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

I have not heard whether or not Dave has officially  interviewed

From Lehigh board and a football alum:
"We need an open and thorough search and quite frankly we do NOT need or want Dave Cecchini, Tom Gilmore, Phil Stambaugh, Ron Jean, or any other Lehigh Alum just because they were great players. I say this being a Lehigh Football Alum who supports all of those guys. But quite honestly they are not qualified.

I am very close to Lehigh Football and alumni base. To be honest the general consensus is if we hire Dave Cecchini than we should drop the program to Division 3 because hiring him is the easy thing to do and shows that we do not care about football anymore."

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on December 10, 2018, 10:29:31 AM
I have not heard whether or not Dave has officially  interviewed

From Lehigh board and a football alum:
"We need an open and thorough search and quite frankly we do NOT need or want Dave Cecchini, Tom Gilmore, Phil Stambaugh, Ron Jean, or any other Lehigh Alum just because they were great players. I say this being a Lehigh Football Alum who supports all of those guys. But quite honestly they are not qualified.

I am very close to Lehigh Football and alumni base. To be honest the general consensus is if we hire Dave Cecchini than we should drop the program to Division 3 because hiring him is the easy thing to do and shows that we do not care about football anymore."

Ouch!!

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on December 10, 2018, 10:29:31 AMI have not heard whether or not Dave has officially  interviewed From Lehigh board and a football alum: "We need an open and thorough search and quite frankly we do NOT need or want Dave Cecchini, Tom Gilmore, Phil Stambaugh, Ron Jean, or any other Lehigh Alum just because they were great players. I say this being a Lehigh Football Alum who supports all of those guys. But quite honestly they are not qualified. I am very close to Lehigh Football and alumni base. To be honest the general consensus is if we hire Dave Cecchini than we should drop the program to Division 3 because hiring him is the easy thing to do and shows that we do not care about football anymore."
This poster may need to go on suicide watch if he's informed that 3 or 4 of Valpo's current assistants, including the OC and DC, either played at or coached at Lehigh. ;D

Valpo2013

Wow
This from a guy who seems to be in the know about Lehigh
What does that say about our staff?

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 10, 2018, 06:19:13 PM
Wow
This from a guy who seems to be in the know about Lehigh
What does that say about our staff?

First, this guy aspires to grandure for Lehigh. It sound like he'd grill Lou Saban if he applied.

Second, he seems to dismiss all Lehigh alums. Wha........?

Next, if Dave had turned Valpo around in three years and took us to the FCS playoffs in year 3 he'd be singing a different tune.

I wouldn't think this single opinion is totally reflective all Lehigh alums.

But I concur with other posters here that Dave has not yet demonstrated he is worthy of the Lehigh job. He has to make some tough decisions in the next couple of months about the offensive scheme and what to do to improve our defensive approach. Dave has done some very positive things to raise the level of competitvenes of our program, but if additional positive and constructive changes are not made, we may be stuck in a spiral that will ensure mediocrity. 

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 10, 2018, 07:42:42 PM

First, this guy aspires to grandure for Lehigh. It sound like he'd grill Lou Saban if he applied.

I wonder if the younger set on this board know who Lou Saban was.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on December 10, 2018, 11:02:09 PM

I think he's the 232nd richest man in America.........or is he an African Canadian hockey player...........or does he own the brand that owns the Power Rangers?

usc4valpo

62 - you are being too kind. If Dave does not make the right moves, the team will spiral to suckdom. A 2 and 9 season is bad and unacceptable, not mediocre.

VULB#62

Ha, ha. Good catch 24 - I meant Nick Saban not Lou Saban. Although Lou Saban, who died in 2009, did have a rather 'remarkable' coaching career  ;)  He was nick-named "Lou 2.2" because over his long career he averaged 2.2 years per job. His head coaching resume began in 1950 and ended in 2002.  He coached at 10 colleges and held HFBC positions with 4 teams in the old AFL and the NFL (Boston, Buffalo, Denver, and Buffalo again).

VUCRUSVU

QuoteThis is exactly what I am talking about. I have met Dave Cecchini several times. I like Dave Cecchini. But we are going to overlook his record but not the Coordinators at Elon? Yes the Pioneer is non-scholarship the whole league is. So why would one school have an adavantage over the other? I we are going to say that we should overlook DC's record because they are more competitive in games than they were before, why would we not make the same concession for the Elon Coordinators? They were 6-5 have been to the playoffs back to back years and prior to the new staff at Elon they were consistently at the bottom of the conference.

If DC is the best candidate great, but his body of work as a Head Coach suggests otherwise.

Ouch Again

VULB#62

VUCRUSVU, source of the quote?  The Lehigh Fan Board?  Not familiar with the Elon references in this context.

VUCRUSVU

Yes to the Lehigh board.  In fact its the same guy that JD24 quoted earlier in the thread.

VULB#62

Thought so. Thanks for doing the digging. 

The Patriot League has a much higher profile than the PFL (but still lower than the Ivy League which usually beats them 1 on 1 furing the season despite not being a "scholarship" league).  And the member schools are all loaded with money and aiumni financial support. Rich traditions there. They are not likely to take a flyer on a questionable record of performance.   

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on December 11, 2018, 01:51:31 AM

I think he's the 232nd richest man in America.........or is he an African Canadian hockey player...........or does he own the brand that (did) own the Power Rangers?

Haim Saban                                                            PK Subban                                                            Haim Saban

JD24

Not going to start a new thread on this but since we're talking coaches, Drake's coach Rick Fox stepped down yesterday. Doesn't appear that anyone saw this coming.

VULB#62

Here's a Tweet about the Drake happening....  People on the PFL Fan Board are scratching their heads.  Fox had a very good yesr - 2nd in the PFL and then his team took FBS Iowa State pretty much to the wire (lost 27-24) in a 12th game before 56,000 fans in Ames.  They were thrown into the "Availa-Bowl" as a replacement for Incarnate Word which made the FCS playoffs and had to bow out of their contracted game.

[tweet]1072289110188949504[/tweet]

usc4valpo

I hate to say it, but would Cecchini be interested in Drake, where coaches have moved to the next level?

VUCRUSVU

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 13, 2018, 06:26:02 PMI hate to say it, but would Cecchini be interested in Drake, where coaches have moved to the next level?

A big maybe.  Going from Non-scholarship to Non-scholarship probably won't be worth it for him though.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 13, 2018, 06:26:02 PM
I hate to say it, but would Cecchini be interested in Drake, where coaches have moved to the next level?

To do so, knowing that your wife has a head coaching job and that your kids are settled in school, would imply that Drake could pay SIGNIFICANTLY more money.  Do you really think that is possible?  No way.  To move to the "next level" only one thing is required:  Winning.  It can be done at Valpo as easily as at Drake.  We are after the same players.  Recruit, coach, win.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015