• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Poll: What is wrong with this Valpo Basketball team?

Started by VU2014, December 19, 2018, 09:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the biggest issue with this Valpo Basketball team?

Talent Level of the roster
Coaching
Lack of effort from the players
Bad Luck
extensive travel schedule leading to fatigue
All of the above

valpolaw

Oklahomamick, I also really like the Jordan warm up shirt Golder is wearing. I would definitely buy one if the university was ever smart enough to sell them. I've been saying it for a year or so now that the players always have really nice apparel that for who knows why is not also for sale on the bookstore website. I presume it's also not available on campus at the bookstore. If you go to the bookstore online, the apparel is hideous, looks like it's from the 80s, and is never remotely similar to what the team has to wear. Not sure why they wouldn't want fans/alumni wearing valpo apparel to continue promoting the school. I live out of state and often get questions about valpo when I wear a valpo shirt. It would be great to get some actually nice apparel. I think this also goes to the university always being reactive and not proactive as USC mentioned earlier. It surely is frustrating.

usc4valpo

Valpo needs to understand that the I like Ike days are over. They should find out what merchandise appeals to their consumers.

VU2010

Y'all are so right regarding the merch comments. Like it was said, reactive. Again, have an open forum. Let us fans provide our take on things - for what it's worth. Can it hurt, right? Game day experience. Merchandise. Facilities. Etc. amany hands make light work, they say. And together we can accomplish more.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpolaw on December 31, 2018, 04:12:02 PM
Oklahomamick, I also really like the Jordan warm up shirt Golder is wearing. I would definitely buy one if the university was ever smart enough to sell them. I've been saying it for a year or so now that the players always have really nice apparel that for who knows why is not also for sale on the bookstore website. I presume it's also not available on campus at the bookstore. If you go to the bookstore online, the apparel is hideous, looks like it's from the 80s, and is never remotely similar to what the team has to wear. Not sure why they wouldn't want fans/alumni wearing valpo apparel to continue promoting the school. I live out of state and often get questions about valpo when I wear a valpo shirt. It would be great to get some actually nice apparel. I think this also goes to the university always being reactive and not proactive as someone mentioned earlier. It surely is frustrating.

Apparrell and a proper Valpo flag or weather proof pennant flag.

VALPO LI

Sooo true!!!! I have been looking everywhere online for the white Valpo flag -Brown does not work for me.  (One on eBay now USED for $29.99) ???
It's sad that we as alumni are willing to spend the money and show our pride and all we get are outdated tee and sweat shirts.  I buy my attire now through an outside vendor - sorry VU bookstore you just don't have it together yet.
Shine on Vu

VU2014

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 31, 2018, 05:54:34 PM
Sooo true!!!! I have been looking everywhere online for the white Valpo flag -Brown does not work for me.  (One on eBay now USED for $29.99) ???
It's sad that we as alumni are willing to spend the money and show our pride and all we get are outdated tee and sweat shirts.  I buy my attire now through an outside vendor - sorry VU bookstore you just don't have it together yet.

At the beginning of the season the athletics department put out the social media post that gave fans the chance to order official Valpo basketball gear. It was only a limited time offer I believe.

VULB#62

Yes, the last several posts are what is wrong with the 2018-19 team on the court. Got it.

usc4valpo

YETI merchandise with the Valpo logo would be really cool - particularly the 20 and 32 ounce tumblers.
For women, how about yoga pants, leggings and jackets? maybe something stylish to lululemon?

usc4valpo

Black alibaba like down jackets with the logo.
Clothing specific for women's fit and style.
Koozies

usc4valpo

Facilities issues:
Increase seating in the north end
chair backs on both sides
Basket bases need to be extended beyond the out of bounds lettering
Activities during timeout
Provide a dinner package before the game
Get students more engaged
Out of conference home and home games against DePaul, UIC, NIU, ND, Purdue, USC, Xavier, Marquette

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 01, 2019, 03:58:17 PM
Facilities issues:
Increase seating in the north end
chair backs on both sides
Basket bases need to be extended beyond the out of bounds lettering
Activities during timeout
Provide a dinner package before the game
Get students more engaged
Out of conference home and home games against DePaul, UIC, NIU, ND, Purdue, USC, Xavier, Marquette

The least likely of this list of wishes are those home and homes with the bigger schools. I include Butler over everyone any on that list, which is still unlikely to happen.

We definitely get a series with UIC and NIU. I'm not sure there is a lot to gain from NIU as a opponent other than it being more interesting than series with the SIUEs, UCRs and whatever other lower major series we've entered into the last few years.

ARC improvements has been getting more chatter recently but talk is cheap. Hopefully they have a few lead donors but I'm going to take the pessimists view point and say they don't currently.

VU2010

Nobody is saying these things will directly lead to an automatic improved performance on the court. But, the thought is to build the program thru a dedicated obligation to invest in it - fiscally.

VULB#62

While wondering why this thread has devolved into everything except the original intent of the poll (what's wrong with this Valpo Basketball team), I took another look at the poll choices and concluded that there was a glaring omission among the choices: Lack of on-floor leadership. Few, if any, of us have addressed this critical component of wining basketball.

Thoughts?  Who is (are) our on-floor leader(s)?

ML seems to be waiting for that player or players to emerge and take on that responsibility.

[tweet]1079823414217588741[/tweet]

[tweet]1079823070716743681[/tweet]

usc4valpo

62 and 2010 - I am just providing ideas to make us more proactive and positive to make the basketball program better. Also, if we are persistent and aggressive, I think we can schedule home and homes against these teams - especially with a bigger and better facility.

Think big!

ml

Three of those schools will never schedule a home and home series with us, regardless of any ARC improvements.  Three others have at best a 5% chance of happening as 2 for 1s, although all three continue to say no.  Two could happen.

VUGrad1314

I think series with the likes of HL teams or MAC teams many of whom are within easy travel distance would be far more interesting than non-D1s as well as a boost to the SOS. No one's saying you have to bring in the top 1-2 teams from these leagues every year (that's hard to predict anyway) but a series probably costs about the same or less than buying a non-D1 anyway.

usc4valpo

ml

I wouldn't say a home and home with DePaul will never happen but they have said no every time we have asked to this point.  We will ask again for the coming season.  The last time we played them in men's basketball, 1980.  They have said no to quite a few Valpo coaches.

valpopal

Quote from: ml on January 01, 2019, 10:21:51 PM
I wouldn't say a home and home with DePaul will never happen but they have said no every time we have asked to this point.  We will ask again for the coming season.  The last time we played them in men's basketball, 1980.  They have said no to quite a few Valpo coaches.

Good to see ML engaging in the forum discussion!  :thumbsup:

VALPO LI

As I sit next to the crackling fire bourbon in hand this last evening of the holiday week, I must commend vulb#62 for bringing us back onto the thread topic! :thumbsup:
Tweet posts are right on by PO....interesting to read that ML thinks that he is "more focused on getting this team to compete in a way every night and every day in practice that represents our program well."....is the team not competitive in practice? Is this why we are seeing the inconsistency from one game to another?  Who is our leader on the hardwood floor this year? Who will "lead" the Crusaders to Victory by voice and or action on the court as we enter league play tomorrow?  High fives going into time outs are not enough.... Kiser your energy is great but we need more....more on the floor.  I thought it could be Evelyn after watching him play in DC, on fire the young man was.....but since then :-[ i do not know!  So I will wait patiently as my glass is now empty...to see the young men in brown and gold play with fight and grit against the flock of birds that enter the arc tomorrow night.  Perhaps then we will truly know if this team has grit and toughness.
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

I really thought that Evelyn would step into that role after last season. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year we start to see the freshmen Freeman and Sackey take up a greater leadership role. They are already showing a willingness to lead by example with the effort and energy they bring. Other candidates are Golder and (for this year anyway) Lavender.

VALPO LI

I see the two freshmen starting to shine.  Sackey hustles and that young man can fly all over the court, just has to control the turnovers....that will come in time.  I want to see Smits step up and lead this team. I like when he owns the paint under the rim. Have a game tonight D!!!!! :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

usc4valpo

DePaul thinks they are big time, when in reality they are buffing a turd.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 01, 2019, 04:30:41 PMLack of on-floor leadership. Few, if any, of us have addressed this critical component of wining basketball.

Hold on!  Back on December 20 I posted:

Where is the LEADERSHIP on this team?  They all seem to just be staring at their shoes.  Somebody needs to grab some guys by the throat and make it clear that this isn't going to happen any longer.  If I were Matt, I would start benching guys.  Play Kiser and McMillan and Stalling.  What will happen?  We will lose.  Oh wait, we are doing that with them on the bench so the result may be the same but, it might not or maybe, just maybe, a fire will be lit under a few guys who seem to be sleep walking right now.   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AranJacobs

I believe Bakari injured his foot in the tournament last year, had problems with it this summer, and that is what's hurting again. I imagine a foot injury could definitly impact his shooting.