• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #15 Valpo @ Missouri St. 1/5/19. 1PM

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 04, 2019, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

We played them tough last year at their place so hopefully we can this year, but this time we need to come home with the W. Hopefully they have come down from the high of the ISUr buzzer beater and are ready to "grit" out a win.

VU-64
Missouri St.62

M

Don't know anything about MoState except that Alize Johnson isn't there anymore. I won't pick against Valpo, ever,  so I'll say 67-64 win.

VU2014

Missouri State hasn't been great in the Non-Con. I need to dig a little deeper to see how our rosters matchup. They don't have Alize Johnson anymore.

SanityLost17

They beat Western Kentucky who beat us...  So there is that. 

They also appear to not really play a center but a Forward who moves out and shoots a high 3 point percentage.  That type of guy has given us problems in the past.  Although things may have changed now that Church is out of the lineup, they may have went with a more traditional big man. 

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 04, 2019, 01:01:25 PMThey also appear to not really play a center but a Forward who moves out and shoots a high 3 point percentage.  That type of guy has given us problems in the past.  Although things may have changed now that Church is out of the lineup, they may have went with a more traditional big man. 

With Sorolla back to near full strength, the improvements Derrik has made to his man defense, and the introductions of some spot zone looks I am much less concerned about our center defense than I was in the 17-18 MVC season. Matchup problems should be far less challenging all across the board for 18-19. No longer are we playing 80% of total minutes (most while trailing on the scoreboard) with a 4 guard 1 center look. The addition of Fazekas and the maturation of Golder as a defender have greatly simplified the whole issue.

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 04, 2019, 01:01:25 PM
They beat Western Kentucky who beat us...  So there is that. 

They also appear to not really play a center but a Forward who moves out and shoots a high 3 point percentage.  That type of guy has given us problems in the past.  Although things may have changed now that Church is out of the lineup, they may have went with a more traditional big man. 

True enough, but they also lost to Air Force!  They have a lot of size (three guys 6'10) and others in the 6'7"/6'8" range.  We will need to hit our shots or this could be a tough afternoon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Rebound, rebound, rebound.  No more mass back-pedalling as soon as a 3 point jumper is released by one of our players.

valpopal

Missouri State is favored by 4 with the home court advantage.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 04, 2019, 04:39:03 PM
Rebound, rebound, rebound.  No more mass back-pedalling as soon as 3 point jumper is released by one of our players.

BTW, for some reason I couldnt understand, ILinois State players immediately back-pedaled nearly every time they put up a shot. As a result, most of our defensive rebounds were completely uncontested. For the game they only had 5 offensive rebounds, the 2nd fewest of any opponent this season to date. Why they conceded that part of the game given how many teams have killed us on the offensive boards is beyond me.

Valpo Joe

If Valpo comes out of the box on fire - and they should, and keeps the pedal to the metal - which they should, and Coach Matt yells and screams at the bad fouls - which he should Valpo will win in OT by 3   ::)

valpospartan

The Game  Will be televised by NBC Chicago sports channel (NBCSCH) at 1 PM. CT.

VUGrad1314

Same lineup as the past two games and no Obediah Church for Missouri State. Sackey hits a three to open the scoring. Two turnovers to start the game. Need to clean it up but a good job on the boards by Smits. 

crusadermoe

Solid 14-10 start on the road.   Pretty pass from Javon to Markus for the dunk on their two man breakaway.   Behind the back bounce pass.  You would normally be ticked at a freshman for that.  But JF just seems to have such a steady demeanor and judgment.

crusadermoe

Nice job by Smits coming toward a tipped pass to him and pushing to the hoop hard.   :thumbsup:

FieldGoodie05

Should we sit Bakari?  We are so much more stagnant and TO prone with him on the court...

SanityLost17

Problem with sitting bakari more is that lavender is still a terrible defender.

hailcrusaders

What is going on? Boys eat their Wheaties?
#CrusadersForever

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 05, 2019, 01:32:04 PM
Problem with sitting bakari more is that lavender is still a terrible defender.

Solid point, though how much better is Bakari on D? (Than Lavender)

crusadermoe

Silly delay after a flop reaction to Kiser foul.   Loving the 37-21 domination and big rebounding lead.

valpolaw

Solid first half. Hope they keep their foot on the throttle

bbtds

Anybody recognize the team playing Missouri State today on NBC Sports Chicago? I don't seem to recall seeing this team before.

;)

VUBBFan

Great first half dominance. This is how I wish we always played. Just need to keep it going. Go Valpo!!

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 05, 2019, 01:57:26 PMAnybody recognize the team playing Missouri State today on NBC Sports Chicago? I don't seem to recall seeing this team before. ;)

It's the new Gritty Team. ;)