• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #15 Valpo @ Missouri St. 1/5/19. 1PM

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 04, 2019, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Oh, BTW, someone has to get the next Game Thread up ASAP while the enthusiasm is high. I don't feel qualified (football guy).

M

Those are nice comparisons...how does the strength of schedule compare between this year and that peters team?

M

Completely forgot there was a game today so I was pleasantly surprised when I jumped on the Twitter and saw the score! Anyone know where a replay might be available at?

JD24

Quote from: M on January 05, 2019, 08:27:04 PMCompletely forgot there was a game today so I was pleasantly surprised when I jumped on the Twitter and saw the score! Anyone know where a replay might be available at?
ESPN3

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=d6edca6f-23ad-4993-b274-7c720aba7e54

VUGrad1314

Looking for progress? Last year our first (and only) MVC road win came in the ninth and final road game @Drake. This year we got it done in the first MVC road game of the year.

VULB#62

Just checked the MVC standings after SIU beat NIU.

Valpo is tied at the top at 2-0 with LUC and SIU. Each with a 9-6 record.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 06, 2019, 05:46:20 AM
Quote from: wh on January 05, 2019, 10:10:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4uYXAzi3Q
It was nice to hear the questions as well as the answers!

Not a truer statement around, SOUND QUALITY!

Also, felt odd not having the coach with the players during interviews.  I like their coaches passion, but does it seem like he's not taking ownership of the team many times throughout the presser?

oklahomamick

Agreed, pointed the finger at the players.  No reason Missouri state won't be competitive after the rebuilding and transitional years.  The facilities and budget is great.  Some great tradition as well.  Only draw back is recruiting location. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 06, 2019, 05:46:20 AM
Quote from: wh on January 05, 2019, 10:10:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4uYXAzi3Q
It was nice to hear the questions as well as the answers!

Here's another opportunity for creating a revenue stream. Note the MO State brackdrop. A sponsor logo is incorporated along with the university logo. Valpo should be doing that. And I agree that Valpo post-game pressers need to have a mic pointed back to the press so the questions can also be heard.

vu72

I think this game was very well coached and I'm wondering how valuable having a guy like Matt Bowen on the sidelines.  ML seems to look to Bowen for advice, often.  We should remember that Bowen is part of the Homer Drew coaching tree and was a head coach for six seasons.  His addition might be the smartest move yet.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

Game against Bradley coming up is pretty vital for Valpo.   Home game against a team that is desperate for a win after starting off 0-2 when they had very high expectations for this year.  Our 2 games after Bradley are road games against arguably the 2 best teams in the league.  Those 2 are likely loses.  So if we want to have a winning record through 5 games we need to win Tuesday.   

As far as preseason expectations go...  Our start to MVC play is pretty rough from a strength standpoint.   Illinois State and Bradley at home and Loyola and Southern Illinois on the road in first 5 games.  Those were expected to be the 4 best teams.  Going 3-2 would force me to send an apology letter to coach lottich.

VUBBFan

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 06, 2019, 11:49:47 AMGame against Bradley coming up is pretty vital for Valpo.   Home game against a team that is desperate for a win after starting off 0-2 when they had very high expectations for this year.  Our 2 games after Bradley are road games against arguably the 2 best teams in the league.  Those 2 are likely loses.  So if we want to have a winning record through 5 games we need to win Tuesday. As far as preseason expectations go...  Our start to MVC play is pretty rough from a strength standpoint.   Illinois State and Bradley at home and Loyola and Southern Illinois on the road in first 5 games.  Those were expected to be the 4 best teams.  Going 3-2 would force me to send an apology letter to coach lottich.

I hope you have to send that letter. Having at least 3 wins at that stage  would please me greatly and bode well for the rest of the season.

valpolaw

A little off topic here but I'm willing to take a scolding for it and hopefully everyone is in a good mood after starting 2-0 in league play......but does anyone know any way I can buy two of those Jordan Valpo warm ups the team wears?  Whether it's through the bookstore, team, or whatever, I'd like to purchase a couple of them.  If the bookstore had half a clue, they would sell the same type of apparel the team wears.

valpotx

The Bowen move is definitely mutually beneficial.  ML has someone that goes back to Bob Knight, Gene Bartow, and Homer Drew, and Bowen is in a solid mid-major league, which can be a launching pad in his D-1 ambitions, which escaped him in D-2 regardless of his results. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 06, 2019, 12:09:14 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 06, 2019, 11:49:47 AMGame against Bradley coming up is pretty vital for Valpo.   Home game against a team that is desperate for a win after starting off 0-2 when they had very high expectations for this year.  Our 2 games after Bradley are road games against arguably the 2 best teams in the league.  Those 2 are likely loses.  So if we want to have a winning record through 5 games we need to win Tuesday. As far as preseason expectations go...  Our start to MVC play is pretty rough from a strength standpoint.   Illinois State and Bradley at home and Loyola and Southern Illinois on the road in first 5 games.  Those were expected to be the 4 best teams.  Going 3-2 would force me to send an apology letter to coach lottich.
I hope you have to send that letter. Having at least 3 wins at that stage  would please me greatly and bode well for the rest of the season.

I hope he's forced to get busy writing as soon as the final buzzer sounds on Tuesday! Go Valpo!

oklahomamick

Valpolaw I'm with you.  I want to purchase the warm up as well.
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

It did seem the coach threw his players under the bus.  Even if they did belong there for not hustling on D or being hungry enough, it's better to put that back on yourself.   

By talking about recruiting different players he is undercutting their morale even though he probably can't stand some of the styles they play.

Well onward to the Bradley game.  You have to think that the huge Golder half court shot on ESPN and the 2-0 start will energize both the Valpo community and students and draw some energy back into the ARC.   That shot was not just a game changer.  It was a season changer and perhaps a program turning point!   Ride the momentum through March!  No need to expect perfection.  It's just so much easier to shoot well when you have confidence and know that you have a little room for error in the standings. 

crusader05

I don't think its common for fans to purchase the same stuff as players.  I know this because my husband is a michigan fan and is always angry he cannot purchase the shirts he sees the players wearing in their interviews. I don' know if it has to do with the contract with Nike or what but its seems that players get access to stuff that it for them only.

VULB#62

Conversely, the NFL uses their teams to market constantly changing fashion and styles and to make great profits out of that. At Green Bay, for instance, the sideline garments are changed practically every game. The hats the players use to hide helmet head always change game to game. That is one of the reasons why the Packer Pro Shop is one of the most successful in all of US professional and collegiate sports. It is done by design.

bbtds

Quote from: valpolaw on January 06, 2019, 12:21:16 PMdoes anyone know any way I can buy two of those Jordan Valpo warm ups the team wears?  Whether it's through the bookstore, team, or whatever, I'd like to purchase a couple of them.  If the bookstore had half a clue, they would sell the same type of apparel the team wears.

https://www.bkstr.com/valparaisostore/home

Here is the Valpo bookstore website.

After checking a few of the pages I didn't see any of the basketball team's gear.

oklahomamick

I know the baseball and soccer teams put out gear to purchase once a year.  The window for ordering is only 2-3 weeks but the gear is pretty sweet.  The prices are expensive but its better than anything from the bookstore and it helps the teams financially. 

Can anyone share info on the baseball and soccer gear?  Hope I didn't miss it and wish the basketball team did the same.  I have some extra cash from the Clemson game last night....
CRUSADERS!!!