• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #17 @ SIU Saturday Jan 12th 3pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 10, 2019, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on January 10, 2019, 10:36:24 PMWould really love to see McMillan get more minutes at the 4 if Ryan is going to be out for awhile. I really think he needs to play minutes at that position, it makes us a bigger team and allows us to put another big on the block instead of always 4 on the perimeter.  We saw times last year when he had flashes of what might be in the future when he was playing the 4 and I had hoped to see a lot more of that this year after hearing the initial hype.
Starting two freshman guards with speed and athleticism is not a standard approach for March success, but I love it. Sackey has to play like a sophomore for success in St Louis so hell or high water he is getting more playing time. If done within reason we have very little to lose by expanding minutes for Mileek also. This could answer the questions of how good we can be in March and if we need look for a power forward grad transfer for 19-20.

VULB#62

Quote from: elephtheria47 on January 10, 2019, 06:25:12 PM
Itll be tough and we're not at the point of being as good (consistent?) as we think,  but valpo continues to roll and picks up the w. I like smits recent showings and thinks he steps up this game.

Am I imagining things or is Derrik not whining about calls this season?  He seems more composed and less liable to go juvenile about a call.

VALPO LI

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 10, 2019, 11:48:50 PM
Itll be tough and we're not at the point of being as good (consistent?) as we think,  but valpo continues to roll and picks up the w. I like smits recent showings and thinks he steps up this game.

Am I imagining things or is Derrik not whinning about calls this season?  He seems more composed and less liable to go juvinile about a call.

Funny you say that because I thought the opposite seeing him play courtside in DC.  He did have 3 personal fouls but when called out on them he would pout in the refs ear about the call each time.  Just my thoughts at that time, I did say to myself he sure does complain a lot when fouled.  Could have been just that game.
Shine on Vu

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 11, 2019, 05:26:51 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 10, 2019, 11:48:50 PM

Am I imagining things or is Derrik not whinning about calls this season?  He seems more composed and less liable to go juvinile about a call.

Funny you say that because I thought the opposite seeing him play courtside in DC.  He did have 3 personal fouls but when called out on them he would pout in the refs ear about the call each time.  Just my thoughts at that time, I did say to myself he sure does complain a lot when fouled.  Could have been just that game.

Ohhh pouty Smits and Bakari are never truly gone!  They just become dormant as their ability to NOT foul or turn it over improve!!!

elephtheria47

While not a good look to do it all of the time, I dont mind it when players whine or complain. It doesnt result in any negatives (the ref wont call more fouls on the player) but it potentially could be positive (having a discussion on how the ref is going to be officiating the game).

Appears it's going to be the 4th game for each team in 11 days, with SIU already playing 2 road games while this is our 2nd road game during that stretch. As wh said, if we can control pippen, I like our chances. Smits and sorolla need to stay out of foul trouble.

crusadermoe

I was going to drive down for the game, but the snow is possibly 8-12 inches there by gametime.  Will that cut down on the home crowd too?

If I were a Valpo player I would like playing in front of an energetic Saturday road crowd in the MVC.   They might even stand during the games.  We did well at Mo State on a Saturday afternoon.

Valpo 74  SIU 69

Freeman leads the scoring with 15 or more.  He's our best creator and penetrator.

humbleopinion

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 11, 2019, 12:15:38 PMI was going to drive down for the game, but the snow is possibly 8-12 inches there by gametime. 

I'm sure that the snow won't stop the train.  I'm sure that talksalot would appreciate more company from the end of the game and 3:16 a.m.

Beamin' Beacons

valpo64

VU2014

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on January 11, 2019, 04:17:40 PM
Early line has SIU favored by 8 points.

I wonder if that is factoring the absence of Fazekas in the game.

I see this game either being a nail biter or a blowout in SIU's favor.

talksalot

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 11, 2019, 12:28:53 PMI'm sure that talksalot would appreciate more company from the end of the game and 3:16 a.m.

I've got three season ticket holders going too... ... they asked me to go with them!   Just hope the train's on time....and the snow's not too deep.

humbleopinion

Quote from: talksalot on January 11, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 11, 2019, 12:28:53 PMI'm sure that talksalot would appreciate more company from the end of the game and 3:16 a.m.

I've got three season ticket holders going too... ... they asked me to go with them!   Just hope the train's on time....and the snow's not too deep.

Enough of a group to play euchre while you wait!

Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 11, 2019, 04:57:48 PMEnough of a group to play euchre while you wait!

PRECISELY !!   Have to get a large pizza to have a card table...but I have the cards in my pocket...

NativeCheesehead

As a probability guy, I'm optimistic on the rest of the season but think we're due for a regression.

SIU 74
Valpo 51

wh

vu72

Even without Fazekas, no way we get brown out by 20+.  We have taken a big step forward as has our defense.  Even on the road, we don't lose by more than 10.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 12, 2019, 06:29:34 AM
Pre-game coverage -- for an away game!

https://www.nwitimes.com/eedition/north/page-c/page_1f815895-a4bc-5bf2-b8b4-53a5a2a6baa7.html

This link should work.

Be sure to share the article on your social media platforms to support the paper. If we desire additional content, lets be sure share it to support the paper to help them get as many clicks or views as possible for Valpo Basketball content.

https://twitter.com/nwipreps/status/1083919267626708993

valpopal

VU2014

Hinson's press conference. Previews today's matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwujm8Uvl-Y

VU2014

Ryan Fazekas is out for today's game.

Game Prediction: 79-65 SIU wins

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 12, 2019, 12:24:46 PM
Hinson's press conference. Previews today's matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwujm8Uvl-Y

Notice the difference between Hinson's sincere compliment of Drake shooting the ball well, and Wardle's backhanded compliment crediting our players for hitting some lucky shots. Class vs. classless.