• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21 Valpo vs. Drake 1/26 7pm ESPN3 HOF Night

Started by M, January 25, 2019, 09:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2019, 08:16:51 AMFourth, next year, given the new guys are are adding, the guy at the end of the bench, next to Langston, will be Bakari.  Maybe he is hurt, but he has performed at a high level maybe once, all year.  He looked lost again and continues to shoot terribly.

Last season as our second best scoring option he shot 45% from the field and 38% from 3. Right now he is sitting at 32% and 31%. Both the numbers and the eyeball test hint that something is different and I'm now doubting it is 100% head case.  ??? Regardless of cause Bakari has performed best when he is the 3'd scoring option. When we return to that pecking order I expect his numbers to improve as well.

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2019, 08:16:51 AMSecond, I sure as heck hope we are not paying for Micah to sit out for his red-shirt--unless, he actually has a season ending injury.  Sure doesn't look like it.
I will not argue that he wasn't needed in last nights situation. BUT----- with only 10 MVC games remaining he (if healthy) would only play maybe 110 to 180 minutes for the season. You make the call.

M

Isn't Drake similar academically to Valpo? I spoke to someone at Griffith who is shocked the twins are staying eligible as they barely survived staying eligible in high school.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on January 27, 2019, 11:56:55 AMI will not argue that he wasn't needed in last nights situation. BUT----- with only 10 MVC games remaining he (if healthy) would only play maybe 110 to 180 minutes for the season. You make the call.

Again, if he is healthy then he should be available regardless of his potential playing time.  Otherwise, why are we paying for his education?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

1. The head trainer for MBB is Zach Creighton. It would appear that he has some pretty amazing credentials:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/staff/8874/zachary-creighton-atc-lat/

2. '72 and Ducky - Relative to Marcus causing his own injury, you guys remind me of my wife blaming me for a car accident we had after we moved. "This never would have happened if we would have stayed where we were, but you just had to have a bigger house."   ;)

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2019, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: justducky on January 27, 2019, 11:56:55 AMI will not argue that he wasn't needed in last nights situation. BUT----- with only 10 MVC games remaining he (if healthy) would only play maybe 110 to 180 minutes for the season. You make the call.

Again, if he is healthy then he should be available regardless of his potential playing time.  Otherwise, why are we paying for his education?

Good point!

I will concede that if I were Matt and Micah is ready I would be looking at my injury reports towards weighing my options.

valpo64

Could this have been the same officiating crew that U of Evansvile coach McCarty blew his stack about post game the other night and the MVC  suspended him 1 game for his comments?

VU2014

I'm pretty concerned if we can't get healthy pretty quick. We could fall pretty far back in the standings if Fazekas, Golder and Smits injuries linger for much longer.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpo64 on January 27, 2019, 01:55:44 PM
Could this have been the same officiating crew that U of Evansvile coach McCarty blew his stack about post game the other night and the MVC  suspended him 1 game for his comments?

It could have been, but it wasn't.

SanityLost17

For those wondering about Micah.   My guess is that if he was healthy he would be playing.   Which means he is not healthy.   

As for all the talk about Bakari....  Man I just don't know.   

As of right now I would rather have LAST YEARS HEALTHY Micah than this years SEMI-HEALTHY Bakari.   Perhaps if Micah fully recovers and Bakari never does he will be a better choice off the bench next year.   

I want Bakari to get better because he was really good at times last year but I am not going to lie, watching him play is embarrassing and not because he is not fully healthy and not making shots.  It is his CONSTANT complaining.  He literally hits dudes in the face, gets whistled, and then throws his hands up in the air and pouts like somebody stole his toy during play time.  I literally can't take it anymore.  Man up!  Maybe he actually doesn't think he is hitting guys in the face when he tries to block shots.  If that is the case maybe we need to get him a sports therapist because he has lost his mind.   

SanityLost17

Quote from: VU2014 on January 27, 2019, 03:32:23 PM
I'm pretty concerned if we can't get healthy pretty quick. We could fall pretty far back in the standings if Fazekas, Golder and Smits injuries linger for much longer.

It is not just falling down the standings.   lets say we got all 3 back healthy in 2 weeks.... What does that mean for our current guys.    If we keep playing the freshman 37-40 minutes what are they going to have left in the tank for the stretch run when we are at full strength? 

VUGrad1314

What choice do we have? We bet big on next year and leveraged this year in the process. Unfortunately injuries have hit us hard exposing the downside risk of this strategy. It sucks but this was always a possibility that could have arisen. I just hope (and believe) that next year will prove this gamble worthwhile. We just have to get through these injuries as best we can and look for brighter days ahead. One thing's for sure this team will be very deep very dangerous and full of contributors next year. I can't wait. Go Valpo!

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 28, 2019, 09:11:32 AM
What choice do we have? We bet big on next year and leveraged this year in the process. Unfortunately injuries have hit us hard exposing the downside risk of this strategy. It sucks but this was always a possibility that could have arisen. I just hope (and believe) that next year will prove this gamble worthwhile. We just have to get through these injuries as best we can and look for brighter days ahead. One thing's for sure this team will be very deep very dangerous and full of contributors next year. I can't wait. Go Valpo!

Next year? It's January 2019!
"The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow.  Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed." -Eminem
That being said 1314 start up the next thread ;)
And let's get excited about MOSt. At Home!
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

Okay I've never done a thread before.... I hope I do it right...

M

If Valpo wins = you did it right! lol

I really mucked up the Drake thread. Got a loss and a bunch of injuries. I'm done starting threads for the year.

wh

I will be very surprised if tomorrow's game is played as scheduled. Night time temp. is forecasted at -17F with wind chills as low as -25 to -50. Wed and Thurs are just as bad, possibly worse on Wed. If that's the case, businesses will be closed and nighttime's activities, meetings, functions, etc. will be closed. The State Police will tell people to stay off the roads, etc. Moreover, hundreds of flights will probably be cancelled, putting the MSU bb team in jeopardy of being stuck in Chicago for 2 or 3 days. FWIW I just got a call from the CEO of a company that I'm consulting with, canceling our Thurs. meeting as they have decided already to close their administrative office on Wed. and Thurs.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on January 28, 2019, 12:14:02 PM
I will be very surprised if tomorrow's game is played as scheduled. Night time temp. is forecasted at -17F with wind chills as low as -25 to -50. Wed and Thurs are just as bad, possibly worse on Wed. If that's the case, businesses will be closed and nighttime's activities, meetings, functions, etc. will be closed. The State Police will tell people to stay off the roads, etc. Moreover, hundreds of flights will probably be cancelled, putting the MSU bb team in jeopardy of being stuck in Chicago for 2 or 3 days. FWIW I just got a call from the CEO of a company that I'm consulting, canceling our Thurs. meeting as they have decided already to close their administrative office on Wed. and Thurs.

Current 7 p.m. game-time forecast for Valparaiso is -3 with a wind chill of -30.

VUBBFan

Quote from: justducky on January 27, 2019, 01:11:04 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2019, 12:30:22 PM
Good point! I will concede that if I were Matt and Micah is ready I would be looking at my injury reports towards weighing my options.

Don't know for sure but I believe he is talking about his son Micah.

https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/1089950027081048064

Valpo89

It takes a lot to postpone/cancel a college basketball game, especially if the team is already in town.
I'd be shocked if the game isn't played as scheduled. i will be shocked if attendance is much more than 2,000.
Valpo Community Schools canceled today due to the snow storm. I'm predicting they will have school Tuesday, but probably not Wednesday and most likely Thursday. So that's a two-day week.

valpotx

Bradford had to have re-aggravated his injury in that 1-2 minutes of play.  We all thought that it was his play and being taken out that had him pissed, but he must have known that he did something to it again.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

That sucks. There's no worse feeling for an athlete than re-injuring something that you worked hard to rehab and knowing immediately that you did.

humbleopinion

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on January 28, 2019, 11:02:51 PM
That sucks. There's no worse feeling for an athlete than re-injuring something that you worked hard to rehab and knowing immediately that you did.

I would guess that his recurring injury would make him less attractive as a potential transfer (see Alex Rossi).  I hope that he recovers and contributes next year.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2010

How many times ... year after year ... are we going to hear about trusting the process and not being able to wait for next year?!?!?

So tired of it. Oh, just wait until next year! And, then when everybody graduates are we going to be rebuilding again????

So all this crap for a winning season worth a crap every 3-4 years? Woooohoooo

Pgmado

Quote from: VU2010 on January 29, 2019, 09:28:44 AM
How many times ... year after year ... are we going to hear about trusting the process and not being able to wait for next year?!?!?

So tired of it. Oh, just wait until next year! And, then when everybody graduates are we going to be rebuilding again????

So all this crap for a winning season worth a crap every 3-4 years? Woooohoooo

It's hard out here for a Cubs fan. Anyone can have a bad century...but wasn't that World Series worth it?