• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Head Coach Opening/ Cecchini Departing

Started by valpofb16, February 06, 2019, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 28, 2019, 09:03:56 AMIf Mark Labarbara does not name a coach before spring break, having since February 3rd to do so. It will be an extreme failure for him as an AD. Spring practice is supposed to begin the week after spring break. Can you imagine kids going home for two weeks without any direction for the program. I would have to imagine several players and their families would be concerned and begin viewing alternatives.
Bucknell completed their resign to hire in a little less than 3 weeks. Valpo's now nearly a week beyond that. Not sure how prepared Bucknell was for the resignation of the coach but it appeared they had a gameplan in place to replace that coach in an efficient manner. The way things have gone with Valpo's search it appears there was no plan in place when their clearly should have already been some action based on the Lehigh situation.

I didn't understand the week difference between one coach coming to campus and coach #2 coming to campus. Does that mean #1 turned them down?
At this point, even if the coach was named later today, the players are probably gone and would prefer not hanging around to meet the new guy.

VULB#62

If the preferred window is closed due to spring break, I would assume that a newly appointed HC would be extended the opportunity to set his own calendar (especially when spring practice would kick off) in conjunction with the time necessary to assemble and orient the new staff as well as start player meetings/interviews and familiarization.  That could push spring ball into April. That should still be feasible, no?

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 28, 2019, 02:24:59 PMIf the preferred window is closed due to spring break, I would assume that a newly appointed HC would be extended the opportunity to set his own calendar (especially when spring practice would kick off) in conjunction with the time necessary to assemble and orient the new staff as well as start player meetings/interviews and familiarization.  That could push spring ball into April. That should still be feasible, no?
Spring ball practice patterns typically are 3 or 4 days per week. i.e Mon, Wed, Fri and maybe Saturday. Spread out over 5 weeks and goes to the 3rd week of April already. I'll guess that they use that schedule. The good news is that the track meet Valpo has hosted since the track was installed has been pushed back a week into May. So it gives an extra Saturday to play with as far as an actual game or scrimmage day is concerned.

At this point Spring Ball is less of a concern than why anyone hasn't been hired to this point. It has all the makings of at least one coach turning them down but we'll see.

VULB#62

Quote from: football1960 on February 28, 2019, 06:14:47 PM
Tomorrow !!!

Yes, it comes after Today!!!.   ;D

Seriously, do you have even a lttle bit of insider info or are you trolling?

valpofb16

I can back up football1960 heard that announcement is coming today, I have also heard Landon Fox is the front runner. I had confirmation Raeburn was the guy last week, if he ended up turning down Valpo due to final offer, the timeline would indeed make sense. They waited another week to bring in Fox because they thought they had their guy.

Speculation on the latter half, hopefully Marky L pulls through today.