• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Head Coach Opening/ Cecchini Departing

Started by valpofb16, February 06, 2019, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Dave Cecchini has let his staff know he is leaving the program for Bucknell University and will be their new head coach.

Terrible timing. Thanks Dave.

vu72

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 06, 2019, 09:20:22 AM
Dave Cecchini has let his staff know he is leaving the program for Bucknell University and will be their new head coach.

Terrible timing. Thanks Dave.

Wonderful. Now what happens to all the recruits? Why would Bucknell want a guy with his track record, particularly last year?  Wow...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

JD24

There's a couple of us who've been PMing about this potential situation since nearly the beginning of last season. Something's been up with the staff since at least that timeframe.

Nothing like having this info released on NSD.

NWIGuy

Terrible timing... current recruits really don't sign anything that is binding, no NLI in place

valpofb16

As opposed to the last few coaching changes. I would like to hire within this time.

81 kids in for spring, with 24 signing today, we have numbers and talent. I think its going to come out that the move to Bucknell was Cecchini wanting to be closer to home, looking at their roster and schedule last year it is not a step up other than maybe conference and schedule.

Miran and Moore would both be excellent hires in my opinion. Both very likable guys. I would tend more towards Moore as 1) he has midwest ties in Michigan, 2) He has recruited Indianapolis the past few years. I know defense struggled traditionally but a defensive head coach could change things.

JD24

I don't disagree that an internal hire works best for now. My concern is with the age of both guys. They would be very young as a HC although they've been coordinator's for a while and while likeable is an admirable trait for many people, that is not always the case for a Head Football Coach.

I wonder if Valpo doesn't go the interim route for a season. There is also the concern that some or even much of the staff could be pilfered by Bucknell as well.

My guess is that Dave moving on has been an issue for a while and this just finalizes it. It probably is less a surprise to MLB than it is to the public.

VULB#62

Wonder if former Drake Head Coach Rick Fox would enjoy NW Indiana in the fall?  Haven't seen anything about a new job.  Played at Wheaton and has coached in this general area of the midwest.  He proved he could recruit the Chicagoland area and took lots of recruits VU was targeting and got them out to Des Moines.

VULB#62

BTW, part of the fallout is that we also lose our women's tennis coach too.

Valpo2013

I'm sure Cecchini will take some assistants with him
For those coaches he doesn't take I would think speaks to his thoughts on their coaching abilities

valpofb16

3 names that immediately come to mind

Miran, Moore, and Kasey Teegardin (IU safeties coach, former assistant, Youngest DC in D2 history at Charelston)

VULB#62

The Cecchini Legacy:

The raw stats:
5 seasons (17 W - 38 L) = 30.9%
3 seasons with 4 or more wins
1 winning season in 5
Beat Butler 3 out of 5 times
Best winning percentage among the 3 last coaches (Stacy Adams, Cale Carlson, and DC)
Most wins (17) since Tom Horne (67 -> 1989-2004)

Non-statistical accomplishments:
New weight room
New locker facility
Upgraded overall recruiting and promoting
Upgraded program's visual profile on social media
PFL Coach of the year 2017
VU record PFL Honor roll members (2017 and 2018)

My Conclusion:  He leaves the overall program and Valpo's football reputation better than when he arrived.  However, he also leaves Valpo with recovering from a dismal 2-9 2018 record with major questions for 2019 at most positions and an understaffed coaching group remaining to cover the offseason program and recruiting including no strength and conditioning coach..Whatever traction the football program has built over the past five years could easily desolve in the next two months as many 5th year players who were considering returning for 2019 now may take their degrees and leave (for example, Nick Turner).

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 06, 2019, 11:08:52 AM
3 names that immediately come to mind

Miran, Moore, and Kasey Teegardin (IU safeties coach, former assistant, Youngest DC in D2 history at Charelston)

Kasey was probably the most energetic and likable member of Carlson's staff when he was here.  He's paid some dues at Indiana having just been added to the F/T staff as safeties coach in 2018.  Before that he was a grad assistant and non-position staffer there. Doubt he'd leave the B1G for non-scholarship Valpo though we are .... um.... D-I.

Here's his IU bio:

• Indiana head football coach Tom Allen announced the addition of Kasey Teegardin to the Hoosiers staff on March 2, 2018. Teegardin will coach the safeties.

• "We are very excited for Kasey to join our staff," Allen said. "He earned the confidence and trust of our players as a graduate assistant, and he further developed professionally after leading our on-campus recruiting last year. Kasey loves Indiana and our players, and he brings energy, passion and expertise to our program."

• Teegardin spent the previous four seasons with the Hoosiers, three as a defensive graduate assistant (2014-16) and one as director of on-campus recruiting (2017).

• "I am extremely thankful for the chance to work with an incredible group of young men and staff whom I have gotten to know," Teegardin said. "I believe in Coach Allen, his program and Indiana University. Indiana is home and my wife and I are thrilled for this opportunity!"

• Former IU defensive back Tony Fields (2014-17), the lone player in program history to play in 50 games, could not be more pleased with the announcement.

• "From day one being around Coach Teegardin, I knew that he was a great coach and deserved an opportunity to show what he could do," Fields said. "Coach has always been someone who the players could trust and has always been a reliable source when it comes to football questions. He is a great
man, a great coach and a great hire for Indiana. I am proud to see him get this chance."

• Spent 2012 and 2013 as special teams coordinator and linebackers coach at Valparaiso University.

• Served as Valpo's NFL and academic liaison as well as the program's community outreach coordinator.

• The NFL liaison at three schools, Teegardin has mentored three players who have received mini-camp invites.

• Coached the secondary at Northwood University in 2011 and was the youngest defensive coordinator in the NCAA (hired at 24) at the University of Charleston in 2010.

• Joined the UC staff in 2007 as a part-time assistant in which he helped with the defensive line, worked as linebackers coach in 2008 and as secondary coach in 2009.

• The 2009 team went 9-2 and ranked 19th in the country and in 2010, Teegardin's defense finished 19th nationally in rush defense.

• Played linebacker at Charleston and was selected a captain his senior season.

• During his first two seasons at UC, Teegardin also was an outfielder and catcher on the baseball team.

• A 2007 graduate from Charleston with a degree in sport management, Teegardin earned his master's degree in business administration in 2008.

• Kasey is married to the former Monica Kirschner.

JD24

I'd be shocked if Coach Tee returns to Valpo.

5th year seniors who potentially change their minds could lie in the decision of the respective coordinators to remain at Valpo.

The fallout should begin to become known within the next day or two and, while we'll know about the coaching changes, we may not know about signees who change their minds.

I think the smart thing for Valpo would be to go outside the program. It's not as if the program was a top of the line program in which we need to keep the momentum going. This, of course, all depends on who would be available at this late juncture. Scott Abell was hired at Davidson in early January and his staff was not announced until more than a month later. Davidson was a MUCH improved program last year. Abell was also able to install an option offense seemingly over night which was the talk of the league last year. So it may not be as late as we think in terms of hiring.

valpofb16

To be honest, A lot of Dave's legacy just went out the window with a coaching change on the most pivotal day of college football.

NWIGuy

It often takes one kind of coach to turn a program around and another to forge ahead further once the program is back on its feet. Impossible to deny the progress made by DC while at Valpo, but disappointing to see the Crusaders not BUILD on the success they had in 2017.  A pass of the baton could be exactly what is needed...

usc4valpo

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

usc4valpo

definitely not an ideal time to leave. he did a good job at Valpo.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on February 06, 2019, 12:45:04 PM
I'd be shocked if Coach Tee returns to Valpo.

5th year seniors who potentially change their minds could lie in the decision of the respective coordinators to remain at Valpo.

The fallout should begin to become known within the next day or two and, while we'll know about the coaching changes, we may not know about signees who change their minds.

I think the smart thing for Valpo would be to go outside the program. It's not as if the program was a top of the line program in which we need to keep the momentum going. This, of course, all depends on who would be available at this late juncture. Scott Abell was hired at Davidson in early January and his staff was not announced until more than a month later. Davidson was a MUCH improved program last year. Abell was also able to install an option offense seemingly over night which was the talk of the league last year. So it may not be as late as we think in terms of hiring.

I concur. Can't have a HC-in training either from the current staff or from outside.  Need a guy like Abell to come in, optimize what talent we do have for 2019 to remain competitive in the PFL, and then build from there.  Timing stinks though.  At Davidson, there was at least all of December to sort through candidates.  This is a surprise late in the recruiting and pre-season training schedule. This'll be tricky.  I don't envy MLB at this point. 

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on February 06, 2019, 02:52:06 PM
https://twitter.com/nwi/status/1093225722536251392

Interesting that Bucknell replaced their coach who resigned January 15th after a 1-10 record in 2018 with a coach who had a 2-9 record in 2018.

IndyValpo

Let's assume the AD started to think about this possibility once the Lehigh interview was known and has some ideas at least internally.

Valpo89

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 06, 2019, 03:07:54 PM
Let's assume the AD started to think about this possibility once the Lehigh interview was known and has some ideas at least internally.
I have it on good authority that MLB has known for quite a while. Cecchini is a good enough person that he wouldn't leave him hanging out to dry THAT much.