• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola at Valpo 2/10: Sunday Showdown

Started by VU2010, February 06, 2019, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: valpo84 on February 11, 2019, 12:11:45 PMWhy was Sackey not in there to run the offense with 4 minutes left.  He sets them up in the offense better than Bakari.  He can't shoot from outside, but you need to keep the ball moving not stagnating on the perimeter (aka the Lebron offense) plus he's a harassing defender.
Sackey was in the game at that time.  he played from 12:10 -  3:26 when he was taken out in what was probably a move to get more offense into the game with Lavender and then came back in at the next clock stoppage, Lavender free throw, 1:42 for defense replacing Evelyn.

Quote from: VU2010 on February 11, 2019, 01:41:21 PMYouth ... inexperience ... having the flu ... y'all are all about the excuses. That's not what gritty means. You know that, right? What's the MO of the team? Kiser? He's gritty. May not score a point but fouls out with 8 boards. Figure it out -
If that's what Valpo's MO is then let's stop making the excuses. Lottich again brought up excuses during the press conference. For once - I wish he'd say: "We got out-coached down the stretch. That's on me." Know how much difference that could make??? Just a thought...

I get it, you don't think Kiser should play so much, is that why you think Matt got out coached? I asked you to give some analysis that we can agree or disagree with and that is all you have come up with. I like Kiser, I think he plays as hard as just about any player out there, but it hurts to not have better scorer on the floor, I am just not sure who that would be right at the moment.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bigmosmithfan1

Our missed FTs were once again more than the margin of defeat. For the love of god, someone on this staff institute the Virgil Sweet FT Method for this team.

OK, this needs to be said, and not as a knock on the player, but as a knock on our rotations. Kiser hustles. Fine. Great. But he's the definition of "guy who should get five or six minutes off the bench when we're in foul trouble" and that's it. The rebounds are great, but our offense is playing 4-on-5 when he's out there (no assists, only shot the ball once and missed). For that reason alone, him getting 20 mins. while Mileek only got 10 is INSANE. Look, credit to John for working hard to get where he is and squeezing every ounce out of his talent, but his usage by our staff right now is way, way out of hand. Particularly against a rugged defensive opponent like Loyola where we need every possible opportunity to score available on every possession.

On the bright side, great rowdy crowd yesterday. Wish we'd sent them home happy -- they'd be much more likely to return.

M

I've come around to liking Kizer...but liking him at the right times. He, unfortunately, provides zippo on offense...of course no-one else has really provided much either.

I was stoked to see Lavender nailing all his FT's. Had he made a couple last home game we would have another W in the column, but it is what it is.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 11, 2019, 01:54:02 PM
Quote from: wh on February 10, 2019, 08:15:56 PM
Let them have their fun while it lasts. Moser might act cocky, but he's no dummy. He knows all they did today is stave off the inevitable changing of the guard a bit longer.

Loyola hit the lottery by landing big-time transfers in Townes and Custer at the same time a pudgy, sparsely-recruited freshman arrived and magically become the league's best post player.  They had a magical run last year and are still ok this year, but next year it will be back to Valpo dominating Loyola like they did in the Horizon League. 

Agreed.  Just think how good we would have been this year if we hadn't lost our lottery pick!  Or if we had him and Ryan all year.  Wow.  Burton at the 4, Ryan at the 3, Smits at the 5, Freeman at the 2 and Sackey running the show.  I can dream can't I??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

From what schools did Townes and Custer transfer?

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpo64 on February 11, 2019, 03:28:12 PM

Custer transferred from Iowa State
Townes transferred from Fairleigh Dickinson

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on February 11, 2019, 03:31:14 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 11, 2019, 03:28:12 PM

Custer transferred from Iowa State
Townes transferred from Fairleigh Dickinson

The real recruit that changed everything for Loyola was landing Milton Doyle. He was transferred from Kansas and he gave the program credibility and helped change LU's fortunes, imo. I've talked to a few LU alums and they agreed. He may not have been apart of that Final 4 run but he was crucial to the Loyola rebuild.

Porter is a great recruiter. I'm not sure if people realize this but Porter really recruited Javon Freeman pretty hard and he chose Valpo over Loyola. Loyola has a stud 2019 recruiting class. As long as Porter remains at Loyola they will remain an upper tier program in the conference. I actually think one of Porter Moser's most savvy moves as the coach was hiring Bryan Mullins as an assistant coach (former All-MVC player for SIU). Mullins' dad just so happens to be the owner and head coach of the Illinois Wolves AAU team (Top 2-3 AAu program in IL) and there is definitely a strong connection there. Two of Loyola's 2019 recruits played for the IL wolves and are top 5 players in the IL class. He also hired Jevon Mamon as director of basketball operations who has a billion Chicago's public league connections and is a former Meanstreets AAU coach (Top 2 AAU program in IL and many of the best inner city kids play for them include Javon). Porter has built a well connected staff and is a well oiled recruiting machine. Loyola isn't going away anytime soon guys. Personally I'm happy because I want our fellow members to be good and it will feed into this rivalry.

Side Note: I think Mullins will get offered the job at SIU when They fire Hinson or let him go in a year. It will be interesting if he takes it or if Loyola promises him the HC job if/when Porter leaves.

NativeCheesehead

If Loyola makes the tourney again, and they should, I think Porter leaves. Even if they exit in the first round.

VU2010

For those asking about evidence of where coaching plays into things, here's a few examples ... though I come from a background where the buck stops here - with the leader:

Our missed FTs were once again more than the margin of defeat. For the love of god, someone on this staff institute the Virgil Sweet FT Method for this team.

^^^^Coaching?

OK, this needs to be said, and not as a knock on the player, but as a knock on our rotations. Kiser hustles. Fine. Great. But he's the definition of "guy who should get five or six minutes off the bench when we're in foul trouble" and that's it. The rebounds are great, but our offense is playing 4-on-5 when he's out there (no assists, only shot the ball once and missed). For that reason alone, him getting 20 mins. while Mileek only got 10 is INSANE.

^^^^^Coaching?

Look, credit to John for working hard to get where he is and squeezing every ounce out of his talent, but his usage by our staff right now is way, way out of hand. Particularly against a rugged defensive opponent like Loyola where we need every possible opportunity to score available on every possession.

^^^^^Coaching?

Not to mention what others have already pointed out - where's Sackey down the stretch? I do not get why Mileek didn't get more of a shot - played great while in last night .... closing out halves ... gotta look at the trends ...

usc4valpo

I may be off here, but let me know...
During the game, I kept seeing a huge banner for the $200,000,000 Valpo fund, which I really find tacky. It makes us look desperate for money.

Also, the cheerleaders need better uniforms.

wh

At the time of Ryan's injury early in the 3rd conf. game against Bradley, he had just come off back-to-back Newcomer of the Week awards.

Ryan's 3-point shooting pct's for games played in those weeks:

PNW   5-9     .555
ILS     4-8     .500
MOS   6-11   .545
BRD   1-1    1.000 (injury game)
Total  16-29  .562

Clearly, Ryan was on a big-time 3-pt. shooting roll at the time of his injury. If he can round into form over the last 6 conference games, we will be VERY difficult for anyone to stop in the tournament - including Loyola.

Let me add that going into the tournament Ryan should have the freshest legs of any outside scoring threat in the league. That could loom large, especially as the tournament wears on.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2010 on February 11, 2019, 05:59:04 PM
For those asking about evidence of where coaching plays into things, here's a few examples ... though I come from a background where the buck stops here - with the leader:

^^^^Coaching? Agreed - I don't know why it is but young players are not taught the proper mechanics of shooting let alone shooting free throws and for some reason they don't want to change "what works for them".  You don't have to actually use "the method" but the ideas of how to consistently shoot are well thought out and shown in this method and can be incorporated into "your own style".

OK, this needs to be said, and not as a knock on the player, but as a knock on our rotations. Kiser hustles. Fine. Great. But he's the definition of "guy who should get five or six minutes off the bench when we're in foul trouble" and that's it. The rebounds are great, but our offense is playing 4-on-5 when he's out there (no assists, only shot the ball once and missed). For that reason alone, him getting 20 mins. while Mileek only got 10 is INSANE. I agree that Mileek should probably have seen the floor more and that he probably give us a better scoring option than Kiser.  I think that Matt probably was thinking that John probably was the safer bet for less mistakes and in some ways I can agree with that.  I want to see and believe that Mileek can develop but crunch time might not be the right time.

^^^^^Coaching?

Look, credit to John for working hard to get where he is and squeezing every ounce out of his talent, but his usage by our staff right now is way, way out of hand. Particularly against a rugged defensive opponent like Loyola where we need every possible opportunity to score available on every possession. Same as above

^^^^^Coaching?

Not to mention what others have already pointed out - where's Sackey down the stretch? I do not get why Mileek didn't get more of a shot - played great while in last night .... closing out halves ... gotta look at the trends ... As I debunked earlier, Sackey was in the game from 12:10 -  3:26 when he was taken out in what was probably a move to get more offense into the game with Lavender and then came back in at the next clock stoppage, Lavender free throw, 1:42 for defense replacing Evelyn.  He was only out of the game for 1:52 seconds.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on February 11, 2019, 06:41:52 PM
Let me add that going into the tournament Ryan should have the freshest legs of any outside scoring threat in the league. That could loom large, especially as the tournament wears on.

He'll be well rested.  I'll be interested to see if he has maintained his conditioning level.  If he's been in a boot for weeks, what was he able to do to stay in "game shape".  I'm guessing it will take a few games before he's back to 100%.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 11, 2019, 06:08:03 PM
During the game, I kept seeing a huge banner for the $200,000,000 Valpo fund, which I really find tacky. It makes us look desperate for money.

Also, cheerleading should not be funded by Valpo.

M

If the subbing out of Sackey was for offense what's the excuse for leaving Kiser in when offense was needed?

NativeCheesehead

Why wouldn't cheerleading be funded? I'm sorry but that's a dumb statement to make without some reasoning behind it.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 08:15:43 PM
Why wouldn't cheerleading be funded? I'm sorry but that's a dumb statement to make without some reasoning behind it.

You probably have a daughter/niece that cheers or cheered, huh?

valpopal

The cheer team should be recognized by the NCAA to be a sport, as it has been recognized by the International Olympic Committee, which also would help universities meet Title IX requirements.

VALPO LI

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 11, 2019, 07:32:23 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on February 11, 2019, 06:08:03 PM

Also, cheerleading should not be funded by Valpo.

If anything thing they should be receiving more funding especially for their uniforms.  Now the Crusaderetts uniforms are sharp.  Brown and Metallic Gold!  Looked awesome in White and Metallic Gold as well!
Btw....If anyone needs more funding it should be the band!
Shine on Vu

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2019, 08:31:13 PM
The cheer team should be recognized by the NCAA to be a sport, as it has been recognized by the International Olympic Committee, which also would help universities meet Title IX requirements.

Not sure how we got on the topic of cheerleading but I was under the assumption that the program needed to compete in competitions to be registered with the ncaa. Didn't the cheerleaders just get new uniforms? I remember someone on the board being mad about them getting rid of the Crusader name on the uniform. Or maybe that was the Crusaderettes? Not sure.

I think the cheerleading is fine. Oakland recently stopped funding their cheerleading team and tried to combine them with the spirit squad (our crusaderettes) and their athletics department tried to basically turn it into a gameday entertainment squad from my understanding.

NativeCheesehead

No daughter sister or any other family member is or was a cheerleader. But your comment was ignorant and uncalled for. Back it up rather than assuming any bias on my part.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on February 11, 2019, 08:41:25 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2019, 08:31:13 PM

Not sure how we got on the topic of cheerleading but I was under the assumption that the program needed to compete in competitions to be registered with the ncaa.

Yes, many universities would like cheer teams to be counted as sport, and the cheer teams at universities could compete in an NCAA sanctioned event, as they do elsewhere; however, the sticking point is the current wording of Title IX that requires competition be their "exclusive" purpose.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 09:15:10 PM
No daughter sister or any other family member is or was a cheerleader. But your comment was ignorant and uncalled for. Back it up rather than assuming any bias on my part.

Thanks, it's a statement of feeling that doesn't need you to make it right or wrong.

NativeCheesehead

Statement of feeling? Really? You obviously never took freshman Core. Make a statement.  Back it up with facts. Defend the position.

VUGrad1314

I genuinely think Porter is happy there. As I understand he's from Chicago with Jesuit roots and he's already a rockstar and just inked a huge extension. Loyola is also rich enough with that massive endowment to pay him whatever he wants. Why mess with happy and go anywhere else? Also I'm not certain that Loyola is going to fade back to also-ran status. They've recruited really well the past few years. Kaifes and Williamson can play. Aguianne Uguak and a host of others have a lot of potential. There are some very talented kids who aren't even playing that are learning the culture. Krutwig will only be a Junior. Time will tell if their roster produces another Custer or Townes but I feel very confident in saying that that team isn't going anywhere. Embrace it guys we've found our chief MVC rival. Fans aside on the court we've found our new Butler. Now all that's left is to figure out how to consistently beat them like we eventually did against the Bulldogs. These are exciting times. Go Valpo!