• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola at Valpo 2/10: Sunday Showdown

Started by VU2010, February 06, 2019, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennySax

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 11, 2019, 01:54:02 PMLoyola hit the lottery by landing big-time transfers in Townes and Custer at the same time a pudgy, sparsely-recruited freshman arrived and magically become the league's best post player.  They had a magical run last year and are still ok this year, but next year it will be back to Valpo dominating Loyola like they did in the Horizon League.

Valpo was 7-6 against Loyola while in the HL.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 09:41:22 PM
Statement of feeling? Really? You obviously never took freshman Core. Make a statement.  Back it up with facts. Defend the position.

You are getting pretty worked up.  I'm hardly the first person that doesn't find cheerleading as a value-add to sports.  I do, however, believe we should better fund/support the band as someone stated earlier.

And for what it's worth, your venom towards me has me gathering "facts".  I texted 6 fellow alumni friends who were athletes at VU.  6/6 said they don't agree to funding cheerleading at VU.

(2) Baseball
(2) Track & Field
(1) Soccer
(1) Softball

NativeCheesehead

It's not a rivalry until we beat them in MVC play. 0-4 so far.

Oakland wasn't our Mid Con rival until they actually won a game.

NativeCheesehead

Well if we count the voices in my head it's 10-6.  I win.

Venom on my side?  I'm not calling for the defunding on an entire program.

NativeCheesehead

Back to Porter. He very well might stick around. But if Bryce Drew can leave Valpo, all bets are off.

VUGrad1314

FG05,

Your statement was as insulting to the hardworking young women and men of the spirit squads as it would be to you as a former football player if I said we should stop funding football because they've been embarrassingly terrible for what seems like  forever. The only difference is that the spirit squads haven't been embarrassingly terrible. That is also a statement of feeling but it ignores the fact that the football team serves several important purposes: the tuition dollars\donations the program brings the branding of getting Valpo's name out to far flung locations, etc. The spirit squad serves a different but equally important purpose: they add to the gameday experience and people enjoy watching them perform. Several people I have gone to games with have remarked about how they enjoy their performances during timeouts\halftime. I know that they help me get into games as well because they give me different ways to cheer on and encourage the team. Just because you don't see or appreciate their worth and what they bring doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that others don't notice.

wh

Quote from: LennySax on February 11, 2019, 09:48:44 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on February 11, 2019, 01:54:02 PMLoyola hit the lottery by landing big-time transfers in Townes and Custer at the same time a pudgy, sparsely-recruited freshman arrived and magically become the league's best post player.  They had a magical run last year and are still ok this year, but next year it will be back to Valpo dominating Loyola like they did in the Horizon League.

Valpo was 7-6 against Loyola while in the HL.

•Valpo was 7-5 against Loyola over the 6 years they were in the HL together.
•Loyola won 3 of the first 4.
•Valpo won 6 of the last 8.
•Valpo won 2 HL conference titles and 1 tournament championship. 
•Loyola won 0 conference titles or tournament championships.

VUGrad1314

Just remember it's very possible we could look back on Loyola's history in another 5 10 20 30 years and view the Porter Moser\MVC era the same way we at Valpo view Homer Drew in that there are two distinct eras before and after these men roamed the sidelines for their respective programs. Remember they both struggled initially and there was considerable doubt before the team finally got rolling. Loyola could be at the beginning of a long run of success. If that's the case hopefully we can join them as a consistent fixture atop the standings and lead the MVC Renaissance. Go Valpo!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 11, 2019, 10:02:09 PM
FG05,

Your statement was as insulting to the hardworking young women and men of the spirit squads as it would be to you as a former football player if I said we should stop funding football because they've been embarrassingly terrible for what seems like  forever. The only difference is that the spirit squads haven't been embarrassingly terrible. That is also a statement of feeling but it ignores the fact that the football team serves several important purposes: the tuition dollars\donations the program brings the branding of getting Valpo's name out to far flung locations, etc. The spirit squad serves a different but equally important purpose: they add to the gameday experience and people enjoy watching them perform. Several people I have gone to games with have remarked about how they enjoy their performances during timeouts\halftime. I know that they help me get into games as well because they give me different ways to cheer on and encourage the team. Just because you don't see or appreciate their worth and what they bring doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that others don't notice.

They don't compete, it's a "club".  Take it as insulting if you please, I never once said a derogatory thing about women so take your PC thoughts elsewhere because they didn't come out of my mouth.

Do ANY other athletic focused non-competing clubs get funded by Valpo?  I'll go ahead and focus my attention on the MBB program but geez your imagination goes wild.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 11, 2019, 09:45:14 PM
I genuinely think Porter is happy there. As I understand he's from Chicago with Jesuit roots and he's already a rockstar and just inked a huge extension. Loyola is also rich enough with that massive endowment to pay him whatever he wants. Why mess with happy and go anywhere else? Also I'm not certain that Loyola is going to fade back to also-ran status. They've recruited really well the past few years. Kaifes and Williamson can play. Aguianne Uguak and a host of others have a lot of potential. There are some very talented kids who aren't even playing that are learning the culture. Krutwig will only be a Junior. Time will tell if their roster produces another Custer or Townes but I feel very confident in saying that that team isn't going anywhere. Embrace it guys we've found our chief MVC rival. Fans aside on the court we've found our new Butler. Now all that's left is to figure out how to consistently beat them like we eventually did against the Bulldogs. These are exciting times. Go Valpo!

I've also read that Porter is a Chicago guy to the bone, I hope he stays and continues with great success.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 11, 2019, 08:18:08 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 08:15:43 PM
Why wouldn't cheerleading be funded? I'm sorry but that's a dumb statement to make without some reasoning behind it.

You probably have a daughter/niece that cheers or cheered, huh?

The university lists Cheerleading and Crusaderettes as "Spriit Teams"  on the department website.   The athletic department pays for two P/T coaches for both (they happen to be the same persons).  Without Athletic Department support there would not be any of that.  Period.  Here we are on this board talking about finding ways of enhancing the game experience and getting more students involved, yet we have someone who wants to desolve two important aspects of that experience.  SMH.

And while we are at it, why isn't Pep Band also listed as a Spirit Team and funded to some extent by the Athletic Department?

NativeCheesehead

There was talk on this board about the music department taking over the pep band and revamping it after Thanksgiving? The group they have plays well but is woefully lacking in numbers. Really don't want to have the smallest band in St. Louis again.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 09:58:56 PM
Back to Porter. He very well might stick around. But if Bryce Drew can leave Valpo, all bets are off.

Sure, the grass is always greener.  I wonder how Bryce feels now, with Vandy losing 11 in a row, the AD that hired Bryce just died and a new AD is in place. The seat is getting warmer!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: M on February 11, 2019, 07:42:11 PM
If the subbing out of Sackey was for offense what's the excuse for leaving Kiser in when offense was needed?
Who knows exactly, none of us are on the bench and talking with the coaches. My guess would be that Kiser went out of the game at the 13:13 mark of the 2nd half, we were only up 2, and did not play as we built the lead, nor did he play during the Loyola change in momentum. He came back in at the 4:26 mark replacing the ailing Golder who had come into the game at 8:16 and missed two shots during that time, we are again only up 2 the same as when he subbed out.  Those two players subbed offense for defense for each other again at 2:43 and then Kiser came back in for Smits at 0:28 when we were going full court, Kiser subbed back out and Evelyn came in for offense at 0:09. So Kiser played a total of 2:02 of the last 13:13 of the game.  I was kind of surprised that he played that little over that stretch, it seemed more than that at the time, but it appears that Kiser can't really be blamed for our lack of offensive production during the second half nor can Matt be blamed for having Kiser playing significant minutes when we failed to score.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on February 12, 2019, 08:29:11 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 09:58:56 PM

Sure, the grass is always greener.  I wonder how Bryce feels now, with Vandy losing 11 in a row, the AD that hired Bryce just died and a new AD is in place. The seat is getting warmer!

Bryce signed a six-year, $16.3 million contact with Vanderbilt and recently bought a $2.7 million, 8,000 square foot house.  As long as the checks keep cashing, I think he's feeling fine.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 12, 2019, 05:02:19 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 11, 2019, 10:02:09 PMFG05, Your statement was as insulting to the hardworking young women and men of the spirit squads as it would be to you as a former football player if I said we should stop funding football because they've been embarrassingly terrible for what seems like  forever. The only difference is that the spirit squads haven't been embarrassingly terrible. That is also a statement of feeling but it ignores the fact that the football team serves several important purposes: the tuition dollars\donations the program brings the branding of getting Valpo's name out to far flung locations, etc. The spirit squad serves a different but equally important purpose: they add to the gameday experience and people enjoy watching them perform. Several people I have gone to games with have remarked about how they enjoy their performances during timeouts\halftime. I know that they help me get into games as well because they give me different ways to cheer on and encourage the team. Just because you don't see or appreciate their worth and what they bring doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that others don't notice.
They don't compete, it's a "club".  Take it as insulting if you please, I never once said a derogatory thing about women so take your PC thoughts elsewhere because they didn't come out of my mouth. Do ANY other athletic focused non-competing clubs get funded by Valpo?  I'll go ahead and focus my attention on the MBB program but geez your imagination goes wild.

I don't know much about athletic clubs but I imagine that the intramural teams receive some modest support  even if most of it is funded by the participants themselves. Regardless I'm beginning to wonder if PC is just used by people to deflect when they get called out for saying something stupid, because if you read the thread on the mascot debate, you'll see that PC is about the last thing that applies to me. Competition or not  if you can't understand the valid parallel between your "statement of feeling" and my own hypothetical one I can't help you.  Secondly, your concern for funding  the MBB program rings hollow with me given your previous remarks against any plan for ARC renovations and prioritizing things like dorm upgrades instead. Couch that in any concerns about practicality or student retention (which is important) you like but you've shut down and insulted virtually anyone who dared talk about this subject or display any hope or optimism on it. You're right, the administrative climate has been horrible for athletics for decades, but is it so hard to believe or accept that this might finally be changing for the better? Finally why are you always so pessimistic and negative about the program? I won't go so far as to question whether or why you're a fan, but it seems like you and some others derive precious little joy from following the team. If following the team makes you so sad upset and frustrated that you can't say anything positive ever and you pick fights\insult other posters while being unnecessarily argumentative and confrontational, then why continue to do it? I'm sorry to be so mean in this post and so direct about tearing down another poster and I'm doubly sorry if you or anyone thought this was too personal or crossed a line but to be honest this post has been a long time coming. 

valpo64

How did this thread turn into a debate over our cheerleaders?????????      Anyway, one last thought on the Loyola game...they played with 2 red-shirt senior guards while we countered with our 2 freshman guards.   Overall I believe our guys did a great job, even thought they were freshmen.

VUBBFan

VUGrad1314

Listened to this. Listened to the new USH. Trying to regroup in time for the Indiana State game (I should be fine) but this one still stings and I'm still hurting. I just need to see all the effort I'm seeing  translate into results. These guys deserve a better fate than 6-6. If they come out and beat ISU I'll be back to my cheery optimistic self. I don't like these morose feelings. Go Valpo! Keep working hard and fans keep showing up. I know that good things are in store for us soon if we stay together and believe.

VALPO LI

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 09:49:54 PM
It's not a rivalry until we beat them in MVC play. 0-4 so far.

Oakland wasn't our Mid Con rival until they actually won a game.

We are ever so close to this being a rivalry!
•Only sold out crowd this year at the ARC.
•2 Bus loads of students bussed in from Chicago.
•ESPNU game.
•Just over an hour away.
•2 academically acclaimed private Universities.

Would we consider Ball State a Rivalry yet?
•Played 10 times over the last 13 seasons.
•Series even with 5 wins each.
•Over the last 6 consecutive seasons 4 games have been decided by 1, 6, 3, and 3 points.
•3 hour drive south east
•Instate game.

I would say yes to both!

Shine on Vu

VU2010

How does anyone know Bryce's contract amount, house cost, or that his house is 8,000 sq feet?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 12, 2019, 04:28:56 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 11, 2019, 09:49:54 PMIt's not a rivalry until we beat them in MVC play. 0-4 so far. Oakland wasn't our Mid Con rival until they actually won a game.
We are ever so close to this being a rivalry! •Only sold out crowd this year at the ARC. •2 Bus loads of students bussed in from Chicago. •ESPNU game. •Just over an hour away. •2 academically acclaimed private Universities. Would we consider Ball State a Rivalry yet? •Played 10 times over the last 13 seasons. •Series even with 5 wins each. •Over the last 6 consecutive seasons 4 games have been decided by 1, 6, 3, and 3 points. •3 hour drive south east •Instate game. I would say yes to both!

Then why isn't Indiana State a rival too? They're more qualified to be than Ball State. The two central Illinois schools make some sense too as does Evansville because they're private and in state. Though I'm not sure if any of these would or could ever reach the level Loyola could potentially reach.

M

Loyola is really the only potential rival, but Valpo has to win one or two in MVC play before it can be called one.

oklahomamick

Yes we need to beat Loyola to be considered a rival.  We are 31-17 against them
CRUSADERS!!!

M

*squints a little extra* yeah it's in there - win one or two in MVC play.

Just my opinion of course.  :twocents: