• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola at Valpo 2/10: Sunday Showdown

Started by VU2010, February 06, 2019, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Best defensive effort of the year. Even McMillan made no obvious mistakes. Trouble was that Loyola defended better yet.

Kiser played all out. We can't ask for a better effort. I'm really proud of him! That said when Fazekas returns I'll be happy to see John playing only 6 or 7 minutes.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on February 10, 2019, 05:26:55 PM
Hats off to the students and crowd tonight. Wish we could have got the W for them to build some momentum and keep the positive vibes going.

I walked away disappointed, but certainly not discouraged or disgusted. Add Ryan to the line-up, and we probably would have put this game away. Give Loyola credit. They are a disciplined, veteran team that plays excellent defense, yet we had them on the ropes more than once. If we're at full strength by tournament time, lookout. Then with everyone but Deion returning and 2 high profile transfers waiting in the wings, really lookout. The future is bright.

craftyrighthander

Agree with wh.  Loyola's two best players are RS seniors.  Not comparing coaches (I'll leave that too others), but when your two best players have this much big game experience, they tend to make the coach look good down the stretch.  The people who watched the game with me kept saying "Valpo needs one more scorer".  I told them "we have on but he's hurt".  I'd rather have a win, but there are positive aspects to this game.

M

That was a great defensive battle. But man, it is so disheartening watching our offense just stand out there.

Pass to the right, look inside to Smits, darn not open, reverse it, look for Smits, dear still not open. Oh no, shot clock is about up....

Loyola's defense was real good. Think Valpo only had a few easy looks, unfortunately the one was Kiser from deep and that didn't work out this time. Hope everyone at least played the under today.

SanityLost17

0-10 from the field for basically the last 8 minutes of the game.... Yes I know Lavender hit a layup but that was because they were only defending the 3-point line and let him have the layup.

For whatever reason we can't close out any half ever.  We didn't close out the 1st half or the 2nd half and this isn't new, it is every half of every game for the entire season. 

I did think Loyola played phenomenal defense in that last 8 minutes but our shot selection was atrocious and I still don't know what our offensive game plan is. 

Somebody earlier chalked this L up to coaching.   I will agree that I did not like our sub rotations tonight, I thought Lottich had some very questionable substitutions and some very odd times with some very strange lineups.  I also agree that Kiser is just not the guy against really good teams although I wish he was.  I am not sure McMillan is the guy either so maybe we just don't have the guy right now.

Going 1-6 (Smits 0-4) from the free throw line in the 1st half really hurt.  Sorolla struggling with bunnies and catching the ball clean in the post hurt us.  Towards the end of the game Bakari trying to shoot the floater instead of going all the way to the rim hurt us.  Golder also tried to fade away several times when he could have gotten a few dribbles closer to the rim.  Most of all we still just struggle finding ways to score against teams that can really defend. 

I really like the way Townes just puts his head down and barrels his way to the hoop.  When they couldn't get anything going he literally just puts his head down and goes all the way to the basket and if our big slid over to help he shoveled it to the open man.  Him doing that is why they won the game tonight.  I feel like we have some players that can do that too but we settle for the floater or a mid range jumper or when we try to get it to a big the ball is bobbled somehow whether it is a bad pass or bad hands.     

VALPO LI

Hats off to the students and crowd tonight. Wish we could have got the W for them to build some momentum and keep the positive vibes going.
Here's a positive vibe....SOLD OUT CROWD 5,148 strong at the ARC tonight :thumbsup:

Ducky you nailed it!!!!
Shine on Vu

wh

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 10, 2019, 07:07:16 PM
Here's a positive vibe....SOLD OUT CROWD 5,148 strong at the ARC tonight :thumbsup:

Ducky you nailed it!!!!

Loved the energy. Kudos to Loyola fans, as well. They were there in droves. I can only imagine how many cussed the place out trying to find the "ARC parking lot," then trying to find a spot on the street after being told there is no "ARC parking lot."

Valpo89

43-34 lead, give up 17-2 run and lose 56-51. Everyone choked. No guts during crunch time.
Made me sick walking past the Loyola fans after the game.

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2019, 07:24:12 PMLoved the energy. Kudos to Loyola fans, as well. They were there in droves. I can only imagine how many cussed the place out trying to find the "ARC parking lot," then trying to find a spot on the street after being told there is no "ARC parking lot."

I did see lots of folks coming in late maybe after some long hikes. I wonder if their "ARC experience" memories will encourage them to return? Don't answer that because I can read your mind.

valpopal

For those seeking a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel? Fazekas on the court...unfortunately, after the game was over.
[tweet]1094768520414617601[/tweet]

bbtds

I believe the guys on the radio said "there is a possibility of Fazekas returning for the Wednesday game against Indiana State."

VU2014

Is Loyola the new Butler? What is Porter smoking. I get there were a good amount LU fans but not as many as Valpo fans. I guess crap like this build rivalries.

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1094775812358881281
https://twitter.com/KyleBrownLUC/status/1094740993105108995

NativeCheesehead

Oh lord it's barely a 90 min bus ride on a Sunday afternoon. Get over yourselves.

VU2014

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on February 10, 2019, 07:53:48 PM
Is Loyola the new Butler? What is Porter smoking. I get there were a good amount LU fans but not as many as Valpo fans. I guess crap like this build rivalries.

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1094775812358881281
https://twitter.com/KyleBrownLUC/status/1094740993105108995

Let them have their fun while it lasts. Moser might act cocky, but he's no dummy. He knows all they did today is stave off the inevitable changing of the guard a bit longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOZBPKxe9g4

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 10, 2019, 08:12:46 PM
Things are heating up nicely I guess...

https://twitter.com/AIRalston/status/1094778884468424705
https://twitter.com/ValpoVRex/status/1094741283854266369

Who cares, next...this guy talking crap from his armchair shouldn't get us all hot and bothered.  Why do you guys read opponents twitter and social media?  Do you expect warm and fuzzy feelings from such endeavors?  I mean come on, think about what you are doing.

jloose128

I agree. Got into a pointless argument with a Loyola fan on twitter. They know their 15 minutes of fame are up soon; if not today then perhaps in St. Louis...

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 10, 2019, 08:20:00 PM
Who cares, next...this guy talking crap from his armchair shouldn't get us all hot and bothered.  Why do you guys read opponents twitter and social media?  Do you expect warm and fuzzy feelings from such endeavors?  I mean come on, think about what you are doing.

Probably actually one of my favorite things about the MVC is engaging with the other teams fans. I mostly have positive interactions and have friendly banter.

hailcrusaders

If it makes us feel any better, they're the ones underperforming this year. On the fringe of the Top 25 at the beginning of the season, now they need three consecutive wins in St. Louis or it's the NIT.

Also, I'm irrationally annoyed with the abbreviation "'Blers". Suppose IU was called the "'Siers", or Notre Dame the "Ish"
#CrusadersForever

valpolaw

Never been much of a Porter fan myself. His goofy tie/shirt patterns always make me dizzy when I see him.

Regardless, seems to be a rivalry brewing and I like it.

valpotx

We can win the MVC tourney with a healthy team, so let them enjoy this one.  No one is getting an at-large and the tourney is a crap shoot this season.  Next season is ours, assuming that all key players come back.

On a positive note, our Valpo Club of DFW watch party had 16 attendees, which is the most we've had for a few years.  It was also attended by an alum currently in the professional soccer ranks!
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Easy on the Blers. They stole their scarves from Griffindor and "Onward to Victory" from Notre Dame. They're lost in a city where Bryce Harper naming his dog Wrigley is bigger news than their final four run.

All the credit in the world to them for last year. But let's not forget their fans were calling for PM's job going into last year. Now he's one more NCAA appearance away from running a P5 program into the ground.

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2019, 07:24:12 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on February 10, 2019, 07:07:16 PM

Ducky you nailed it!!!!

Loved the energy. Kudos to Loyola fans, as well. They were there in droves. I can only imagine how many cussed the place out trying to find the "ARC parking lot," then trying to find a spot on the street after being told there is no "ARC parking lot."

Here is the answer to the parking problem: Build a parking garage and then charge everybody $8 per game like they do at Evansville.. Happy now?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M