• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #30 @ Bradley Wednesday 2/27/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 25, 2019, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

When Ryan F is out, everyone else is afraid to shoot a three....so many opportunities for outside shots but no one to do it...it must be a defensive coach's delight not to have to worry about any outside shooting....and again there is Sackey, the fart in the skillet,  who bounces around the floor but getting nothing done except a turnover now and then.  I  sure hope we have some shooters next year.  There is really no sense to set up an offense with picks for outside shots because we don't have anyone to shoot one, let alone make one.  Doesn't McMillen lead us in 3 point %age?   It sure has been a disappointing night, especially now with Ryan out. 

mj

Shooting 5.6% from 3. Very interesting game plan that ML has drawn up.
I believe that we will win.

NativeCheesehead

Maybe Sunday is better. Maybe next year is better. Maybe the next coach is better.

But I can't remember a time when I was more pessimistic about the future of the Valpo men's basketball program.

Top level mid major conference. Bottom class facility. And an AD with no history of making quality coaching hires. Ug.

justducky

mj

valpopal

Finishing in the top six and avoiding the Thursday play-in-game was the minimum requirement for not declaring this season a failure. Hello PIG!  :whiteflag:

justducky

I'm glad we are getting this head of steam going. On to St Louis.

NativeCheesehead

Really looking forward to the next "scorched earth" USH talking down to the fans again.

GoldenCrusader87

It's so comical to read the same folks who are critical of those of us who are realists finally start seeing things the same way.

If you're ok with this, you have very low expectations. Who can honestly think this is working out?

VUBBFan

We finish in 8th place and play the opening game Thursday in St Louis against Ind State.

GoldenCrusader87

NativeCheesehead

a3uge

M

2-22 from 3....this is a division one program. I will rebound for any of these guys who want to shoot threes just about anytime this summer. Unbelievable

tiny707

8th place is two spots higher than last year.

VUBBFan

Quote from: M on February 27, 2019, 09:04:51 PM2-22 from 3....this is a division one program. I will rebound for any of these guys who want to shoot threes just about anytime this summer. Unbelievable

I'll volunteer along with you. I actually would if asked.

M

I totally would too (if I'm not out fishing)...got 2 school aged sons that'd help out as well.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on February 27, 2019, 09:08:01 PM
8th place is two spots higher than last year.

...in a league that's about 10 spots lower than last year.

mj

Yes we shot like crap but I'm gonna blame this on the coaches. I noted early on in the second half how they all seemed to be shell shocked. They were just sitting there without any movement. ML was standing there with his hands behind his back.

Our players were abandoned tonight. Their leadership failed them.

You can't fault a coach for injuries. You can't fault a coach for lack of shooting (though you may wonder why he didn't recruit shooters). You can't fault a coach for things out of his control. But the one thing a coach can control is attitude.

And right now, I'm not seeing great things from ML. You leave your team hanging out to dry like that, you don't deserve to have another season. I hope he can turn himself around in the next two games.

GoldenCrusader87

MJ - 10000000% agree. I've said it before but the body language needs to change. Then again, Valpo hoops Weekly - he started off the bat with excuses and has yet to take an iota of ownership for what's going on out there. Not a leader in my eyes. We seriously need to start wondering (regardless of the next 2 games) what happens with this roster. Idk. I could see big movement. Or maybe they all come back and are the team they should be plus 2 good transfers?

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 27, 2019, 08:52:14 PM
Really looking forward to the next "scorched earth" USH talking down to the fans again.
Paul should call the next one "bombing the rubble".

JD24

There isn't a sport in the world in which "body language" doesn't reflect how a team is playing. Thus, when a team is playing poorly it can appear that they are going through the motions. When they are playing well they are all jacked up.

Valpo's problem is a significant lack of ability on the roster. Maybe some fans feel that replacing the coach would solve the problem because that's one move and doesn't have them face the fact that the roster is significantly flawed and that requires many moves to fix. There is one shooter who's been hurt. There isn't anyone particularly adept at penetrating and finishing. Rebounding can be a problem because there aren't enough quick leapers on the team. Some are complete zero's offensively when they are on the floor. There isn't a go to guy on the roster.

Now maybe some of the faults on the roster can be pinned on the coaching staff but the thought that coaching is the biggest issue with the performance and that the roster is talented to any great degree is simply one of delusion in my opinion.

GoldenCrusader87

JD - I get what you're saying. Makes sense. Just gotta wonder ... why haven't we been able to land some pure shooters? Have we offered? Think of Butler for example who've had those guys who are just plain shooters. Not super tall or anything but can flat out shoot.

VU2014

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 27, 2019, 10:16:58 PM
JD - I get what you're saying. Makes sense. Just gotta wonder ... why haven't we been able to land some pure shooters? Have we offered? Think of Butler for example who've had those guys who are just plain shooters. Not super tall or anything but can flat out shoot.

We nearly landed one but Purdue snatched him up. We also offered Alex Hemenway but he's going down to Clemson. Burton was a shooter. Fazekas is a shooter but is injured. Both Golder and Bakari's outside shooting has regressed this season because health or for whatever other reason.

NativeCheesehead

One or two decent shooters doesn't help you from getting blown out by a mediocre Bradley team.