• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #31 vs Evansville Saturday 3/2/19 1pm

Started by PlumStreetBum, March 01, 2019, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

Do you folks think ML could be let go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GoldenCrusader87

It's like eating a meal that started off pretty good at first. And then turned sour and we tried looking past it but now have regurgitated it and are eating it again and again. Hoping for something different but more of the same but worse each time it's been through the digestive track

VU2014

Quote from: truth219 on March 02, 2019, 04:20:34 PM

If there was a Vegas prop bet I'd put $1000 down to say Lottich doesn't get let go.

I think Paul mentioned in one of his podcast that Mark LaBarbera has only ever fired 1 coach across all sports. Lottich is safe. The bigger question is the extension and I'd be willing to bet he gets one. Because of how important that 2020 recruiting class is.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on March 02, 2019, 04:29:07 PM

If there was a Vegas prop bet I'd put $1000 down to say Lottich doesn't get let go.

I think Paul mentioned in one of his podcast that Mark LaBarbera has only ever fired 1 coach across all sports. Lottich is safe. The bigger question is the extension and I'd be willing to bet he gets one. Because of how important that 2020 recruiting class is.

No way.  His 3 seasons have been marred by losing Jubril, Alec, Burton and Fazekas for large periods of time.  And if you're going to part ways with ML, who are you getting that's any better?  Valpo is not going to pay a buyout and then pay big $ to get an experienced coach.  Stay the course and hope the injury/suspension bug stays away in the future.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: truth219 on March 02, 2019, 04:20:34 PMDo you folks think ML could be let go? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
If there was a Vegas prop bet I'd put $1000 down to say Lottich doesn't get let go. I think Paul mentioned in one of his podcast that Mark LaBarbera has only ever fired 1 coach across all sports. Lottich is safe. The bigger question is the extension and I'd be willing to bet he gets one. Because of how important that 2020 recruiting class is.

And what caliber of athletes would want to be part of that class to play for Coach BlowsLateLeads? A clean and decisive cut heals soonest.

oklahomamick

Lottich is not going anywhere.  But us, the fans might.......
CRUSADERS!!!

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 02, 2019, 04:39:02 PM

No way.  His 3 seasons have been marred by losing Jubril, Alec, Burton and Fazekas for large periods of time.  And if you're going to part ways with ML, who are you getting that's any better?  Valpo is not going to pay a buyout and then pay big $ to get an experienced coach.  Stay the course and hope the injury/suspension bug stays away in the future.

While I don't think Valpo will make a move with the coach, it really depends on whether the administration believes ML is the right guy to lead the program for the long-term.  There's a famous quote regarding this ... "What should be done eventually, must be done immediately".  IMO, Mark L. thinks he has the right guy, so he won't make a move.

nkvu

Quote from: jloose128 on March 02, 2019, 03:08:26 PM
I have no desire to watch the game on Thursday and I know I'm not alone.

Kind of with you on that. Like the guy who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer.  When asked why he did it he said "because it feels so good when I stop."  I'll be getting ready for a bucket list trip to New Zealand starting Saturday and I don't need the aggravation.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2019, 04:59:33 PM
Lottich is not going anywhere.  But us, the fans might.......

Maybe I should throw in the towel, drop from this message board, and take up old guy sport interests like bowling, bird watching or ugh golf?    Na! You folks are stuck with Lottich and I for at least one more year. November can't get here soon enough.  :thumbsup:

VUGrad1314

What a contrast. Can you imagine the difference if Lottich was Drake's hire and we had DeVries? Would we have had a historic season? Would Lottich even win a game or would Drake fans have just had to "trust the process?"

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2019/02/15/inside-drake-basketball-war-room-how-bulldogs-upstart-roster-built-darian-devries-nick-norton/2727239002/

VUGrad1314

Honestly how are we going to get back to the top of the conference? Is Matt going to magically learn how to run an offense in year four or are we finally going to have enough talent collected to mask how bad he is? Those are the only ways short of a new coach that we get there.

VUGrad1314

"For whatever reason we weren't able to close it"

"Maybe that's a young team I don't know Have to look at the film"

Enough! Unlistenable!

(Listened anyway) oh my God... He acknowledged something. He didn't have the right guys low on the free throw blockout.

He told Bakari to stay aggressive but won't support the freshmen? Bakari thinks he's been bad because he's been passive. Lord help us.

Lottich "Maybe it's youth maybe it's execution maybe it's bad coaching." We are close to a moment of clarity folks.

oklahomamick

He played on a good Stanford team.  Does he not remember any of that offense? 

Can he not take any of the things Bryce was doing and try to implement that? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

My friend just said it best "Lottich isn't head coach material."

justducky

I can't even get the ESPN+ replay. Maybe that is the high point for my day?

VUGrad1314

There are probably more people in that gym than were at the ARC today. Sad. I'm not saying this to ridicule the fans only to point out what Lottich's ineptitude is doing to this program.

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1102018139833991169

usc4valpo

I have not spoken out on this and to many of you that is probably good. But this whole situation makes me feel as if is moving back to the Tom Smith era.

NativeCheesehead

A big thank you to the ticket office for never calling me for payment for the Arch Madness tickets I reserved. Was able to cancel my hotel res and save $1k.  Have attended almost every conference tourney since I graduated in 99. Not wasting my money on this team.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 02, 2019, 07:38:51 PM
I have not spoken out on this and to many of you that is probably good. But this whole situation makes me feel as if is moving back to the atom Smith era.

Oh good... The Drews are gone so now we can focus on rebuilding our university ranking to #1 without worrying about sportsball getting in the way and wasting resources to distract us from our mission and while we're at it let's change that ghastly Crusader moniker. It promotes an unwelcoming campus culture anyway. Let's do another endowment drive. Let's try to beat Loyola and push it to $1billion. Anything but giving the jocks a new playground to play in.

Signed,

The Valpo Board

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 02, 2019, 07:41:05 PMA big thank you to the ticket office for never calling me for payment for the Arch Madness tickets I reserved. Was able to cancel my hotel res and save $1k.  Have attended almost every conference tourney since I graduated in 99. Not wasting my money on this team.

At least something worked out for a Valpo fan today. Congratulations. I'm sure you'll put the money to better use. Heck it could be argued that lighting it on fire or flushing it down the toilet would be better than spending money on this mess.

Three years without the Drews two without Alec and this program needs a savior again. That's unfathomably sad.

VU2014

I wonder if the athletics department will have video of Matt Lottich's speech. What did he say after the game and what was the crowds reaction?

NativeCheesehead

Lottich said what he should have said. Keep believing. We'll be at the top soon, etc. I don't have a problem with a single
word of it.

But again. Words are wind. ML, MH, and MLB have said many words over the years. We're still being out coached in the same sh&$@y gym. I don't care if the postgame interview is in Swahili. Win. Basketball. Games. 

VUGrad1314

There was a prayer for Deion I wonder how many used part of that time to pray for Matt to be fired? I didn't but I did pray that he'd learn to coach offense properly and close out close games. Nothing Matt said made any sense or offered any comfort.

He talked about how we were #1 6 games in and I thought "Then went 2-10. Next point." Talked about  how Deion Lavender was so incredible I thought "then why was he a reserve for the bulk of the conference season?" Said Deion should get into coaching I thought "Why not? He couldn't possibly do any worse." Just stuff like that. To be honest I was mad so I got lost in my sadness and my thoughts and didn't really listen that well to what he said but that's most of what I heard. I just don't think I  believe him anymore when he says next year will be better. I want to  but this wasn't exactly a young team and they showed absolutely zero poise in crunch time all season long. I think I heard some light booing when he first walked out but I'm not sure and if there was it stopped quickly.

truth219

Calling this team young isnt true. We have 6 juniors and 1 senior.