• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #31 vs Evansville Saturday 3/2/19 1pm

Started by PlumStreetBum, March 01, 2019, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo2013

Quote from: truth219 on March 02, 2019, 09:27:13 PM
Calling this team young isnt true. We have 6 juniors and 1 senior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is a good post

GoldenCrusader87

Sure he said things he's "supposed to say" but the atmosphere was much more telling. Fans cleared out while he was talking. Sounded more like an Oh, please give me a contract extension boo hoo pitty party to me. In the post game, he was markedly different than the past few times. To me - he's acting more positive in an effort to leverage the big 2020 class and get an extension out of this.

We're the losers in this. Not because of him as a person. But because he's not the answer. Not the leader. We need to clear house. If players leave they leave. Over it.

We suck. Please let's move on.

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on March 02, 2019, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: jloose128 on March 02, 2019, 03:08:26 PM
I have no desire to watch the game on Thursday and I know I'm not alone.

Kind of with you on that. Like the guy who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer.  When asked why he did it he said "because it feels so good when I stop."  I'll be getting ready for a bucket list trip to New Zealand starting Saturday and I don't need the aggravation.

What I say to you guys that say you don't care enough to follow Valpo during Arch Madness, why did you come to this message board today if you really don't care? The answer is that you do care how Valpo will do in the MVC tournament.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo2013 on March 02, 2019, 10:13:24 PM
Quote from: truth219 on March 02, 2019, 09:27:13 PM
Calling this team young isnt true. We have 6 juniors and 1 senior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is a good post

One thing. It was a "truth"ful statement.

oklahomamick

Yes but not enough to sacrifice time and money like I have in the past. 

I travelled from Oklahoma to the Detroit dumpster fire every year.  Because I believed in the program, direction, enjoyed the style and liked all the players.  I also liked the teamwork and the love the players had for their coach and each other. 

Not saying they don't have that on this team or last years team or even ML first team.  But I don't see it.  Could be there but I just didn't see it. 

my interest and commitment has decreased to only reading and posting on this forum. 

This is my first year since 2005 not to travel and watch my crusader. 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

It seems like the term "dumpster fire" is over used these days. 

But probably not in describing the Detroit tournament.      :o :(

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2019, 05:13:09 PM

Kind of with you on that. Like the guy who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer.  When asked why he did it he said "because it feels so good when I stop."  I'll be getting ready for a bucket list trip to New Zealand starting Saturday and I don't need the aggravation.

What I say to you guys that say you don't care enough to follow Valpo during Arch Madness, why did you come to this message board today if you really don't care? The answer is that you do care how Valpo will do in the MVC tournament.

I think we are all frustrated, I get why they are saying as much.  It's cathardic to speak your mind in my experience.  Though I see both POV.

I'll be watching but I've also become QUICKLY allergic to 15 point deficits as the season progressed...

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2019, 05:13:09 PM

Agreed.

People are lying to themselves if they say they don't care. I care a lot to be honest but I just don't believe in this team's chances. In fact I'm almost expecting a 1st round exit. But we've seen this Valpo team have outlier games that they have no business winning. I'm just emotionally spent by this team.

Valpo Joe

Tom Smith was a great player, Matt Lotich was a great player. They gave Tom an number of years to prove that he could coach. How did that work out? How many years for Matt?

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo Joe on March 04, 2019, 10:31:01 PM
Tom Smith was a great player, Matt Lotich was a great player. They gave Tom an number of years to prove that he could coach. How did that work out? How many years for Matt?

I wasn't around for the Tom Smith era, so I can't really judge more than just by looking at the record and it didn't look pretty. I'm assuming the expectations for the program are considerably higher then they were back then.

I'm for giving him next year and I can almost talk myself into giving him a full 4 year Valley recruiting cycle to get a full roster of Valley caliber players in but if we fall flat next season there might be an apocalyptic response from the fan-base A) for poor performance and B) when they publicly announce a contract extension. Lottich needs to show better results for the fans and more importantly his bosses. Lottich has had it pretty bad with injuries his 3 seasons but it doesn't totally excuse how inept we look on offense sometimes. Maybe we have some Valley caliber players but do we have a full roster of Valley caliber depth? It's just so weird to be having this discussion about a Valpo men's basketball coach because we had it so good with the Drew Family for so long.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 04, 2019, 11:33:59 PM

I wasn't around for the Tom Smith era, so I can't really judge more than just by looking at the record and it didn't look pretty. I'm assuming the expectations for the program are considerably higher then they were back then.

I'm for giving him next year and I can almost talk myself into giving him a full 4 year Valley recruiting cycle to get a full roster of Valley caliber players in but if we fall flat next season there might be an apocalyptic response from the fan-base A) for poor performance and B) when they publicly announce a contract extension. Lottich needs to show better results from the fans and more importantly his bosses. Lottich has had it pretty bad with injuries his 3 seasons but it doesn't totally excuse how inept we look on offense sometimes. Maybe we have some Valley caliber players but do we have a full roster of Valley caliber depth? It's just so weird to be having this discussion about a Valpo men's basketball coach because we had it so good with the Drew Family for so long.

I saw this very thing coming a long time ago. Following is a post I wrote 5 years ago predicting the collapse of Valpo basketball if/when Bryce Drew were to leave. Just call me Naustrodamus.

Quote from: wh on March 23, 2014, 04:33:32 PM
As I've said a few dozen times before, VU men's basketball is living on borrowed time due to the administration's ongoing refusal to address facility needs. Every Valpo fan/alumnus should thank their lucky stars for Bryce and his ability to succeed despite the lack of support he needs and deserves. The day Bryce leaves is the day the music died. Anyone who thinks Greg Tonagel or anyone else can waltz in here and recruit the way Bryce has with a glorified high school gym for facilities is kidding themselves.

Oh, no need to remind me of the never ending, always changing list of critical facility needs "far" more important than upgrading the ARC. I understand. Difficult choices sometimes have to be made. I only hope the the administration understands that remaining competitive is no different for the men's basketball program than for the science program, or a restaurant, or any other business venture.  If you fail to invest in facilities comparable to those of your competitors, you will not remain competitive. This is an indisputable fact.

Thus, like it, don't like it, care, don't care, believe it or don't, it is where we're headed beginning the day Bryce Drew leaves - the day the music died.

How pathetic that some guy off the street could see it coming, but MH and the Board acted as if all they needed to do was show up to games, park in their special spots next to the building, and bask in the glory of the Drews' success, as if it would go on forever, and even more pathetic, as if they had something to do with it.

I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2019, 02:08:12 AM

I'm for giving him next year and I can almost talk myself into giving him a full 4 year Valley recruiting cycle to get a full roster of Valley caliber players in but if we fall flat next season there might be an apocalyptic response from the fan-base A) for poor performance and B) when they publicly announce a contract extension. Lottich needs to show better results from the fans and more importantly his bosses. Lottich has had it pretty bad with injuries his 3 seasons but it doesn't totally excuse how inept we look on offense sometimes. Maybe we have some Valley caliber players but do we have a full roster of Valley caliber depth? It's just so weird to be having this discussion about a Valpo men's basketball coach because we had it so good with the Drew Family for so long.

I saw this very thing coming a long time ago. Following is a post I wrote 5 years ago predicting the collapse of Valpo basketball if/when Bryce Drew were to leave. Just call me Naustrodamus.

As I've said a few dozen times before, VU men's basketball is living on borrowed time due to the administration's ongoing refusal to address facility needs. Every Valpo fan/alumnus should thank their lucky stars for Bryce and his ability to succeed despite the lack of support he needs and deserves. The day Bryce leaves is the day the music died. Anyone who thinks Greg Tonagel or anyone else can waltz in here and recruit the way Bryce has with a glorified high school gym for facilities is kidding themselves.

Oh, no need to remind me of the never ending, always changing list of critical facility needs "far" more important than upgrading the ARC. I understand. Difficult choices sometimes have to be made. I only hope the the administration understands that remaining competitive is no different for the men's basketball program than for the science program, or a restaurant, or any other business venture.  If you fail to invest in facilities comparable to those of your competitors, you will not remain competitive. This is an indisputable fact.

Thus, like it, don't like it, care, don't care, believe it or don't, it is where we're headed beginning the day Bryce Drew leaves - the day the music died.

How pathetic that some guy off the street could see it coming, but MH and the Board acted as if all they needed to do was show up to games, park in their special spots next to the building, and bask in the glory of the Drews' success, as if it would go on forever, and even more pathetic, as if they had something to do with it.

Sooooo....facilities upgrade and $500,000/year were going to keep Bryce?  I call your bluff sir....

He's making 5-6x that at Vandy.  I can see an argument for recruiting improvement BUT it's beyond absurd to say Bryce stays for that salary.

WE ARE A TINY _____ LUTHERAN COLLEGE GUYS, NO MONEY NO MONEY AND NO MONEY.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 05, 2019, 05:31:31 AM

Sooooo....facilities upgrade and $500,000/year were going to keep Bryce?  I call your bluff sir....

He's making 5-6x that at Vandy.  I can see an argument for recruiting improvement BUT it's beyond absurd to say Bryce stays for that salary.

How could you miss my point so badly? You must be a skimmer.  :)  My prediction 5 years ago was that the Administration was doing nothing to prepare for the inevitability of Bryce leaving, bringing a close to the Drew era, and leaving a new guy with a crap facility to market to recruits.

Calling my bluff?  What does that even mean? lol

EddieCabot

So, moving from the #18 KenPom conference up to the #17 KenPom conference requires a full roster of upgraded players?  For reference, the Horizon was consistently in the #10 to #14 range when Valpo was dominating there.  The "step up in conference" excuse rings hollow to me, given how mediocre the MVC is this year.

Valpo Joe

Ok time to resurrect the greatest coach Valpo ever had. "Clean Gene" Bartow - come on down. We're playing at the Hill Top and the VU students won't miss a single game. We even have time to have a beer or two after  :cheers:  :rotfl:

Valpo Joe

GLORY DAYS  - I think Bartow and company (Tom Smith - Dick Jones) we're the last Team to beat The Purple Aces @ Evansville  :thumbsup:

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2019, 07:06:42 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 05, 2019, 05:31:31 AM

How could you miss my point so badly? You must be a skimmer.  :)  My prediction 5 years ago was that the Administration was doing nothing to prepare for the inevitability of Bryce leaving, bringing a close to the Drew era, and leaving a new guy with a crap facility to market to recruits.

Calling my bluff?  What does that even mean? lol

I'll eat crow on this one, seems a quick post before driving to work bit me in the ____.  Mr Skim ....out!  I took your post as self congratulatory and it raise my blood pressure.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 05, 2019, 07:03:40 PM

How stupid the MVC selection committee must be feeling about now. The program they chose over Murray State to replace their marquee program finished dead last and next to last in its first 2 years, and has no plan in place to bring the worst venue in the conference into the 21st century. The worst of it has to be listening to Valpo people cry poor, as if it's the only university in the conference with financial woes. This whole thing has become pretty shameful.

VUGrad1314

I hope against hope that we're gearing up for a run like Loyola but they have a much larger endowment and full-on institutional commitment. What do we have? Missouri Valley dreams with Great Lakes Valley vision. It's so sad. The longer we go without a plan the more I look like an idiot for believing that this time would be different. What evidence did I have to believe it? I don't like being made to look like an idiot. Do something. It doesn't have to be super grandiose. Just on the level of what Loyola did for the Gentile Center. But I don't even need to see that yet. Just a plan and a campaign. That's all.

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 05, 2019, 10:15:03 PM
I hope against hope that we're gearing up for a run like Loyola but they have a much larger endowment and full-on institutional commitment. What do we have? Missouri Valley dreams with Great Lakes Valley vision. It's so sad. The longer we go without a plan the more I look like an idiot for believing that this time would be different. What evidence did I have to believe it? I don't like being made to look like an idiot. Do something. It doesn't have to be super grandiose. Just on the level of what Loyola did for the Gentile Center. But I don't even need to see that yet. Just a plan and a campaign. That's all.

I would be shocked if Heckler approved a campaign for the ARC while the university's current Forever Valpo campaign is underway. As I mentioned in a previous post, as much as I would like remodeling such as at the Gentile Center, unless there are private donors who expressly give a large sum specifically for the ARC, there likely will be no significant renovations in the next few years.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 05, 2019, 10:15:03 PM
I hope against hope that we're gearing up for a run like Loyola but they have a much larger endowment and full-on institutional commitment. What do we have? Missouri Valley dreams with Great Lakes Valley Indiana Collegiate Conference vision.

I prefer our old conference before Valpo was div 1.

GoldenCrusader87

Many great posts on here ... folks calling it like it is. Good for y'all. That's what it'll take - if possible - for real change to come down the pipeline.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on March 02, 2019, 03:50:38 PM
A salute to Deion Lavender. He contributed even more than was expected from him. He led the team in assists by 50 over Evelyn in second place. His assists to turnovers ratio was sensational. He was the team's second leading rebounder, only behind Smits. His field goal percentage was also second only to Smits. He committed the fewest personal fouls of anyone on the team. His free throw percentage was second only to Fazekas. Give us 5 Lavenders and we aren't playing in the Thursday game at St. Louis.

[tweet]1105138921665675264[/tweet]

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 06, 2019, 12:19:01 PM
Many great posts on here ... folks calling it like it is. Good for y'all. That's what it'll take - if possible - for real change to come down the pipeline.

Here's the real deal. The admin thinking is not going to change until the board of directors philosophy completely changes. OTOH, strangers wanting to learn about Valpo Athletics who are potential game ticket buyers and possibly die hard Valpo fans who do read this message board. Many think we are a bunch of raving fans but there are some whose only interaction with Valpo U is through this message board. Always remember.

usc4valpo

John Meyne was an all American? seriously? Gregg Mostello and John McIlvain must have been all conference!