• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2019

Started by VU2014, March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How far will the Crusaders go at Arch Madness?

1st round (Thursday)
2nd round (Friday)
Semi-Finals (Saturday)
Championship Game (Sunday)
Going Dancing

Valpo2013

NativeCheesehead

Lottich will get one more year with these guys. But does he deserve it? I honestly don't know at this point.

oklahomamick

don't know if it will be with these guys......several are playing their last game today....I wonder who is transferring.
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 08, 2019, 01:52:53 PM
don't know if it will be with these guys......several are playing their last game today....I wonder who is transferring.
Besides Freeman..who could transfer that we would miss

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

Smits and Golder for sure.  Give a coach that actually has a system with players cutting to the basket and setting good screens, those two would be better.
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 08, 2019, 01:57:56 PM
Smits and Golder for sure.  Give a coach that actually has a system with players cutting to the basket and setting good screens, those two would be better.
I agree these players have to feel like their development hasn't progressed at Valpo....our fan base hasn't developed either

truth219

Flush the toilet on this season...we just laid a turd

GoldenCrusader87

You cannot even compare this to laying a turd - at least you feel a sense of relief afterwards when you drop a turd. What relief do we have after this season? More like constipation where you finally squeeze a small turd out but still feel congested and bottled up inside. Waiting for a release. What's the release? Who knows.

vu72

WE WIN!! The second half, 36-27.  There is a lot of promise on this team.  I really like what McMillan can bring, I like what Golder can bring, when both and others are not called on to be starters and contribute like starters.  Bakari, unless he returns to form, will be very near the end of the bench next year.  Throw in some shooters and bingo!  Everything falls into place.

If it doesn't come together next year, time for a major shakeup.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

tough loss.  Time to get ready for the CBI or CIT.    :'( :'( :'(
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Literally lol'd at "sense of relief afterwords".

M

I'd be shocked if VU was invited to participate in either of those tournaments.  Seems like a fitting end to a(another) frustrating season.

GoldenCrusader87

"WE WIN!! The second half, 36-27.  There is a lot of promise on this team.  I really like what McMillan can bring, I like what Golder can bring, when both and others are not called on to be starters and contribute like starters.  Bakari, unless he returns to form, will be very near the end of the bench next year.  Throw in some shooters and bingo!  Everything falls into place.

If it doesn't come together next year, time for a major shakeup."

Well, this is about as optimistic as we could get, I suppose. We've gotten so desperate that we're excited about a scoring run to close the game when Loyola already had it locked up and knew they'd be prepping for the next game. But, yes - we won that second half, baby! Woot! Woot!

VUGrad1314

This is what is so frustrating about this season. Besides the injuries it's that there are flashes and indications of progress. We did improve our conference record We did win a game in St Louis We were great the first six games of the year except the Loyola loss but the agonizing home defeats and the general inability to close games indicates that at best minimum progress was made and we are left rightly to question just how much progress we actually made. He should get another year but we can't take minimum progress again. We need a leap. It's a very important year for the program. But if it's any consolation I believe Loyola was in a similar position as we are after year two in the MVC. All we need is for the offense to improve along with execution late in games and some more institutional support with everyone staying together and we can make our dreams come true. The further away from the emotion I felt after yet another frustrating loss the more I agree with Matt: We're closer than it seems right now We just need the players fans and the institution to believe that and buy in. If we stay together and get some help we could be in for some special things in the near future. Forget about the CBI/CIT Save the money for facilities improvements like AC or the PA system.

valpo64

Attention all shooters and good offensive players!!  We have a great need for you at Valpo....please apply.  You should have a great chance to start next year, and the next year  and the next....  One requirement:  You cannot be afraid to shoot a 3-pointer, especially when you are wide open.

GoldenCrusader87

If a win over a BAD Indiana State Team that beat us the last two times out is reason for folks to get on a ML bandwagon, no need to save a seat for me. I was entertained, however, by the thought of seeing how short term of a memory fans have. As if losing a few days ago to an Evansville team (at home) who hadn't won a game since beating us is long forgotten.

Ready to wave this season goodbye 👋. Happy for the win yesterday, though. Likely good enough for Matt to get a big time extension. Wouldn't want other programs purging him. I mean - he's gotta have programs knocking down his door wanting him to take over.

We beat ISU, baby! And, we're only a few games off of a 500-season. Wouldn't be surprised if they named something after him. Matt Lottich Training Room maybe? That way, we'll always be reminded of the injuries that prevented his offensive scheme from shining.

Or, perhaps the laundry room could be namer after him.... you know why 😂🤦‍♂️👋

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on March 08, 2019, 02:12:26 PMI like what Golder can bring,

I am curious if we might now hear that Golder was hampered by the ankle or something. He wasn't throwing up open air ball 3's before the injury. Plus his explosiveness was just starting to return. I would prefer a physical explanation over an attitude or mental problem. Something was different down the MVC stretch run.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 08, 2019, 02:46:05 PMIf a win over a BAD Indiana State Team that beat us the last two times out is reason for folks to get on a ML bandwagon, no need to save a seat for me. I was entertained, however, by the thought of seeing how short term of a memory fans have. As if losing a few days ago to an Evansville team (at home) who hadn't won a game since beating us is long forgotten. Ready to wave this season goodbye 👋. Happy for the win yesterday, though. Likely good enough for Matt to get a big time extension. Wouldn't want other programs purging him. I mean - he's gotta have programs knocking down his door wanting him to take over. We beat ISU, baby! And, we're only a few games off of a 500-season. Wouldn't be surprised if they named something after him. Matt Lottich Training Room maybe? That way, we'll always be reminded of the injuries that prevented his offensive scheme from shining. Or, perhaps the laundry room could be namer after him.... you know why 😂🤦‍♂️👋

ImI not on any kind of bandwagon. I'm just trying to make the best of the situation we're in. We have shown flashes of progress We are in a similar position to where Loyola was after year two of the MVC  We should have the pieces next year to have a good year and this truly is year three of the Lottich era. Its a pivotal year. If he has the coaching chops we'll see for sure next year.  By no means should we give him an extension yet but regardless we're stuck with him for another year. Hes not getting bought out so we might as well support him and hope he succeeds enough to land a big long term contract. Go Valpo!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VALPO LI on March 08, 2019, 01:07:49 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 08, 2019, 12:56:15 PM
We scored 18 points in the first half.
.....and gave up 40! :'(

Giving up 40 points was the most disheartening for me.  That screams effort which is pretty much the top factor in defense when we know we can hold them in the 50's for an entire game.

Like many I was working so only saw the score, but geesh.  Thankful this season is over and in the books.

JD24

Team had no legs from last night and early start today. What is difficult to grasp about this concept?

GoldenCrusader87

Guys, come on. Give the team a break! Yes, we gave up 40 and only scored 18 in the first half. But, according to Matt, we were playing a team with fresh feet!

Right. So, that explains why we - as he made a point of emphasizing - "won" the second half.

That's not how it works. Valpo should've been the team - under these conditions - that came out in a rhythm after a good performance last night.

Loyola - by comparison - should be the team that came out a bit rusty. Over the course of the game, we should've worn out. They should've found their groove and beat us down the stretch with fresh legs.

But, that's not what occurred. So, what gives?

Only took him about 30 seconds to make an excuse. Whereas what I saw could've been more like having the right personnel in down the stretch. Hence why Mileek had success down the stretch. But, you know, what do I know?

I'm no coach. But I also don't get paid to have the answers. Wish, in my job, I could get paid to make excuses and not take ownership. Oh, wait. I pry wouldn't last long.

And if I did, I'd struggle with my own excuse-making. That's not how I was raised. But, that's neither here nor there.

https://youtu.be/AQlz-Yr93mg

VUGrad1314

The tournament is designed to get the top seeds to at least the semifinals. We'll appreciate this whenever we're a top 2 seed.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on March 08, 2019, 01:05:01 PM
No legs from the quick turnaround for Valpo vs a well rested team which is the best or certainly amongst the best in the conference.

That's what you get when you choke away a golden opportunity to stay out of the Thursday games. For Matt to bring it up was embarrassing in itself. It reminds me of 2 years ago after a 1st round loss to Milwaukee in the HL tournament. . Matt tells the world that their terrible 1st half was the result of being unfamiliar with the arena. Later we learn that Valpo blew off their assigned practice time - the only men's team to do so. Matt needs to learn to man-up, accept responsibility, use it as a learning experience, and move on wiser for the experience.

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 08, 2019, 02:16:00 PM
tough loss.  Time to get ready for the CBI or CIT.    :'( :'( :'(

Please tell me you're not serious.

VUGrad1314

In response to this tweet (and others) Happenin Hoops released the kraken. Seems to regret the move to the MVC (which is pretty shortsighted and stupid despite the team's struggles:

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1104102827297816581

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1104105595672641536

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1104107719584346117

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1104108330866434049

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1104108694827089920

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1104109167495790592

Yeah those extra tournament credits and media exposure have sure sucked for us... Also you think we land Javon or even Daniel in the HL? I think not...