• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2019

Started by VU2014, March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How far will the Crusaders go at Arch Madness?

1st round (Thursday)
2nd round (Friday)
Semi-Finals (Saturday)
Championship Game (Sunday)
Going Dancing

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 09, 2019, 07:04:36 PM
The two best teams, Loyola and Drake will not be playing in the Championship game.  This is turning into Motor City Madness.

The whole conference was down this year. It is what it is. It's not like anyone was a world beater this season.

elephtheria47

Conference was way down this year. With the two teams remaining, I'm sure a 15 or 16 seed is coming. Does anyone know what the attendance was for Arch Madness? The MVC has to be at least worried about the trajectory of the conference. (Overall attendance,  conference tournament attendance,  very mediocre teams for this season/no ranked team and the publicity that comes with) Curious to see how the MVC is going go prevent it from turning into a H.L 2.0 situation. (I know it wont, too many basketball minded people and luckily a lot more schools with name recognition and resources, but it can be the start of a slippery slope)

VUGrad1314

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 10, 2019, 09:09:57 AMConference was way down this year. With the two teams remaining, I'm sure a 15 or 16 seed is coming. Does anyone know what the attendance was for Arch Madness? The MVC has to be at least worried about the trajectory of the conference. (Overall attendance,  conference tournament attendance,  very mediocre teams for this season/no ranked team and the publicity that comes with) Curious to see how the MVC is going go prevent it from turning into a H.L 2.0 situation. (I know it wont, too many basketball minded people and luckily a lot more schools with name recognition and resources, but it can be the start of a slippery slope)

Adding Murray State and whoever says yes out of Belmont and NKU would be a start.

VUGrad1314

But it's not going to happen. This was a one year blip. Most of our programs in the MVC are rising not falling I think 19-20 will be closer to 17-18 for the conference than 18-19.

VUGrad1314

Also to anyone who thinks that the fanbase's expectations have fallen you're right but that's what happens when you first step up to a better league. Also look at the roster and coaching staff. Despite the occasional eggs we'd lay under Bryce you knew we had a player we could depend on when we need a bucket a coach that  could design plays to get him open, and a team that knew how to play with a lead. We have some guys who are close to that go-to scorer type but nobody's quite there yet and we don't have the latter two ingredients yet. Hopefully we will next year but we don't have them yet. Until we do it's tough for expectations to rise much. That said if we get off to a good start my expectations will rise again. Hopefully this is the year we turn the corner and become all we've hoped we could be. Go Valpo!

crusadermoe

That's a fair-minded simple explanation of where we stand, VU1314. 

I too suspect there is concern about the nosedive in Arch Madness attendance.   I hear that the Wichita fan base used to come in and swamp the downtown area.  Wichita probably just assumed with good reason they would play on Sunday.  I think Creighton brought fans by the many hundreds too in their heyday. 

I hear Valpo seated about 50 fans in their section.  By contrast Bradley fans took over the place late in their Friday game.  Does it matter?  It does to the MVC ticket sales and its future.

VUGrad1314

It's also a signal that they may need some outside help (Murray State?)

But it's very hard for people who work to come watch a team on a Thursday night five hours away add to it the fact that the run is surely over Friday and what's the incentive to go? Valpo needs to contend if they want to draw in St Louis I suspect that is true for every school to one degree or another. I'd love to go but my job schedule doesn't allow me to. If Valpo ever makes it to Saturday I'm sure the numbers will improve dramatically. Also remember our community outreach isn't the best despite our efforts and most alums don't stick around they go back home so it's tough to get numbers. The tournament being over Spring Break doesn't help either because it's harder to launch a coordinated effort to get students down there to the games.

VU2014

VUGrad1314

UNI is on its way back. This is good for the MVC.

a3uge

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 10, 2019, 02:04:51 PM
UNI is on its way back. This is good for the MVC.
A 16 seed is not "good" for the MVC.

Except if they win the play in game, I guess.

VUGrad1314

Wow... Jacobson's reputation as an invincible giant killer is over... He's now been on the wrong end of two historical meltdowns...

valpopal

Sorry to see the championship game tainted by a questionable flagrant foul call that gave Bradley 4 points. It seemed to me that McDonnell's contact with the Bradley player was caused by a push from behind on McDonnell by another Bradley player; therefore, it easily could have been called incidental contact. Hate to see the officials' decision determine the difference in score like that.

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on March 10, 2019, 03:25:54 PM
Sorry to see the championship game tainted by a questionable flagrant foul call that gave Bradley 4 points. It seemed to me that McDonell's contact with the Bradley player was caused by a push from behind on McDonell by another Bradley player; therefore, it easily could have been called incidental contact. Hate to see the officials' decision determine the difference in score like that.

Our UNI friend says we should never complain about the MVC refs  ;)

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on March 10, 2019, 03:25:54 PM
Sorry to see the championship game tainted by a questionable flagrant foul call that gave Bradley 4 points. It seemed to me that McDonnell's contact with the Bradley player was caused by a push from behind on McDonnell by another Bradley player; therefore, it easily could have been called incidental contact. Hate to see the officials' decision determine the difference in score like that.
I noticed that too.  Yelling at the screen had no effect.
Beamin' Beacons

VUGrad1314

Given Wardle's great turnaround from 0-5 to the NCAAT

And given this turnaround by Xavier:

https://twitter.com/FOX19Jeremy/status/1104582904213057537

We have to think that it's possible for us as well and take encouragement from these stories. Let's be one of the stories of next season! Go Valpo!

GoldenCrusader87

Kudos to Bradley. Gritty comeback win, for sure. The more they win, the more money we get. Hoping for some madness to ensue. And for the Braves to be this year's darling.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 10, 2019, 02:04:51 PMUNI is on its way back. This is good for the MVC.

I stand by the core of this statement despite the outcome. They're close. Just like we are. They just need to learn to finish. Just like we do.

oklahomamick

After visiting the MVC fan forum, it was really cool to see fans from all programs congratulate Bradley and are now fans of the Braves when it comes to the NCAAT.

You say, "as expected"

No, no.  That was not the case in the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

What scares me is the MVC didn't pick us because we have a huge amount of alumni that would attend Arch Madness, or great facilities, or we are in a large market.  Nope, we got it purely on basketball success.  (Unlike when Loyola was called to the MVC or when IUPUI was called to the HL) 

Our call up to the MVC was for our product on the court.  Some will say it was because we were private and good academics.  Maybe that gave us the nudge over Murray St.

I'm embarrassed that the main reason the MVC promoted us, is a reason we don't have, haven't had in 3 years and I don't see us having in the next 3 years......
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Brian Wardle winning makes me sad.

oklahomamick

Loved it when we used to punk Wardle in the HL.

When Bradley comes we should show our high lights on the big screen (We have one, right?) of us destroying the Wardles lead UWGB.  The near capacity crowd giving him crap and then laughing when the big screen shows Wardle in his boot because he slipped on some ice. 

Make the ARC a difficult place to play again.  (That's a hat, right?) 

We beat up on Florida St. and BYU in the ARC.  I feel that the crowd and myself were worth at least 8 points.  Seriously.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 10, 2019, 07:49:57 PMLoved it when we used to punk Wardle in the HL. When Bradley comes we should show our high lights on the big screen (We have one, right?) of us destroying the Wardles lead UWGB.  The near capacity crowd giving him crap and then laughing when the big screen shows Wardle in his boot because he slipped on some ice. Make the ARC a difficult place to play again.  (That's a hat, right?) We beat up on Florida St. and BYU in the ARC.  I feel that the crowd and myself were worth at least 8 points.  Seriously.

Point of order: we beat St Mary's at the ARC not BYU We beat BYU in the semifinals at the Garden.

oklahomamick

correct.  But we did beat Florida state at the ARC.
CRUSADERS!!!

bigmosmithfan1

Despite good things happening to a person that doesn't deserve them (Wardle), I'm instead going to glass-half-full this and choose to be very happy for the Bradley fan base. They are a loyal bunch and Peoria rallies around BU, win or lose, in a way I wish Valpo/NWI would with us. Good to see that loyalty rewarded with a bid to the Dance and I hope they get a winnable matchup.

VUGrad1314

THIS is what it's all about! I want this for us one day! Great job Bradley team and fans! This conference rules! Go Braves! Go MVC!

https://twitter.com/ScoutSportsDesk/status/1104918237400256514