• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Staff

Started by IndyValpo, March 05, 2019, 10:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

That bothered me too. 

IndyValpo

I was hopeful that somewhere in the 100 page plan were coaches he had lined up. 2 weeks later we have officially added no one.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 16, 2019, 01:40:17 PMI was hopeful that somewhere in the 100 page plan were coaches he had lined up. 2 weeks later we have officially added no one.
I'm either guessing or hoping the delay is to allow for the players to return and have the coaches introduced to them first prior to making the hires public.

Hoping.

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on March 16, 2019, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on March 16, 2019, 01:40:17 PMI was hopeful that somewhere in the 100 page plan were coaches he had lined up. 2 weeks later we have officially added no one.
I'm either guessing or hoping the delay is to allow for the players to return and have the coaches introduced to them first prior to making the hires public.

Hoping.

Yes let's go with that!!

valpofb16

Landon Fox   Head Coach            Dayton-Defensive Coordinator
Zach Carney   Defensive Tackles   Mount Union-Player
Brannon Dunn                               Wittenberg-CoDefensive Coodinator
Brandon Frase                                Ohio Weselyan-Player
Chris Limbach   Quarterbacks            Edinboro-Offensive Coordinator/QB
Devin Figaro   Receivers                   Notre Dame College-Receivers
Jon Robinson   Linebackers            Wayne State
Zach Greiner                               Valparaiso
Brian Dougherty   Defensive Coordinator  Tiffin University-DB's
Cory Colder   Runningbacks            East Tennesee St.-Player
Dave Bucar                               Maryland-Tight Ends

This is the staff as of this second, I am not sure who O-Coordinator is (maybe Bucar leaving position coach in BIG10). Looks like a younger staff with ties to Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Tennessee

NWIGuy

Just a guess but I bet Limbach is the OC and Bucar takes the OL. Only reason to leave the FBS gig to to have the whole OL group.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 17, 2019, 05:42:54 PMLandon Fox   Head Coach            Dayton-Defensive Coordinator Zach Carney   Defensive Tackles   Mount Union-Player Brannon Dunn                               Wittenberg-CoDefensive Coodinator Brandon Frase                                Ohio Weselyan-Player Chris Limbach   Quarterbacks            Edinboro-Offensive Coordinator/QB Devin Figaro   Receivers                   Notre Dame College-Receivers Jon Robinson   Linebackers            Wayne State Zach Greiner                               Valparaiso Brian Dougherty   Defensive Coordinator  Tiffin University-DB's Cory Colder   Runningbacks            East Tennesee St.-Player Dave Bucar                               Maryland-Tight Ends This is the staff as of this second, I am not sure who O-Coordinator is (maybe Bucar leaving position coach in BIG10). Looks like a younger staff with ties to Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Tennessee
You mentioned earlier in the thread that Zach Carney was a WR at Mount Union last year and he's now an (I'm assuming) intern as a DT coach? I realize coaches don't always coach the positions they played but this seems a bit extreme.

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on March 17, 2019, 07:33:34 PMJust a guess but I bet Limbach is the OC and Bucar takes the OL. Only reason to leave the FBS gig to to have the whole OL group.
Limbach lists himself as the QB coach on his twitter page but, of course, that could change. I assume we'll find out tomorrow after the team met/meets the staff. He's got 3 years as OC at Edinboro.

VULB#62 will be happy to find out that he was the OC for some record breaking performance on the offensive side of the ball but it seems to be pass, Pass and when all else fails PASS!!!!!!

I'll have to look further into things once an announcement is made. Bucar may be looked upon as a short term guy until he gets another FBS gig somewhere.

valpofb16

Official Coaching roster

HC: Landon Fox-Dayton old DC
OC/QB: Chris Limbach-Ediboro OC
WR: Devin Figaro-Notre Dame College Receivers
RB: Cory Colder- East Tennessee St. Player
TE: Zach Greiner- Valparaiso Outside Linebackers
OL: Dave Bucar- Maryland Tight Ends
DL: Brannon Dunn- Wittenberg DC
DT: Zach Carney- Mount Union Player
LB: Jon Robinson-Wayne State Linebackers
LB: Brandon Frase- Ohio Weselyan Player
DC/DB: Brian Dougherty-Tiffin DB's
S&C: Alex Curtis- Western Kentucky S&C

ValpoGeorge

Valpofb16 thank you for always providing great insight and accurate information.  Very helpful to us who aren't able to spend time we would like staying in touch with the football program.  However I did see a couple other comments about new coach being off to a disappointing start?  Looks like the info was indeed correct as the coach stated is in fact the co-defensive coordinator and we all know Coach Fox will have his hands all over defesne anyways.  Also, all other remaining staffers are usually told by day 2 if they are going to remain, get an interview or be let go.  Also the PASS, PASS, PASS offense of the Edinboro offense.  Looking at their team statistics over past two years:

2018: Pass-2275  Rush-2047

2017: Pass-2648  Rush-2048

Seems like an excellent balance between pass and run!!! I,d take that!  We can all have our own opinions but let's keep it all accurate here please....thanks again Valpofb16 for keeping us all up to date much appreciated.

valpofb16

ValpoGeorge,

Thank you for your response!

With Limbach if I remember correctly it was

2018: Pass 49% Rush 51%
2017: Pass 63% Rush 37%
2016: Pass 75% Rush 25%

That was in attempts not yards.

Watching highlights this offense appears to be a true spread, tight end removed from LOS mostly. It appears he has worked toward gaining balance in his play calling.

JD24

Looks as if the balance was achieved based on the players available. Limbach's first couple of seasons at Edinboro he had a QB who appears as if he was pretty good. Last year there were 2 QBs used and didn't put up the same numbers as the previous two seasons plus they had a RB they attached their saddle to.

This is a good thing because it would appear he gears the offense to the available roster.

QBs appear to run 3-5 times a game.

valpofb16

JD that is great news, offensively I think personnel wise we will maintain status quo in terms of position changes. Martin may have to become a full time running back or tight end,

Defensive personnel is where things get tricky, I believe VULB touched on this. There was four years of recruiting a 3-4 multiple and now we a transitioning into a 4-2-5. Do rush ends move off the line and we play them at backer or do they stay and become undersized at their positions. I think tackles wise we definitely have the weight up front. Also we have essentially recruited three inside linebacker spots, that now becomes two. There is a Crusader position which is a DB hybrid, safety was a position that lacked depth last season. It will be interesting to see where players find their new homes in this defense.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 18, 2019, 10:48:00 AMJD that is great news, offensively I think personnel wise we will maintain status quo in terms of position changes. Martin may have to become a full time running back or tight end
Edinboro only had two TEs on the roster and one caught 13 passes but for substantial yardage which probably means the occasional surprise seam route downfield rather than a dependable first down crutch for the QB. With Sutter gone there's only two TEs listed but I'm not sure either are receiving threats as Kluck was used mostly to block last season although he played a lot in 12 personnel sets which will probably not be used at all except maybe goal line situations going forward. We'll likely see much more 10 personnel sets.

QuoteDefensive personnel is where things get tricky, I believe VULB touched on this. There was four years of recruiting a 3-4 multiple and now we a transitioning into a 4-2-5. Do rush ends move off the line and we play them at backer or do they stay and become undersized at their positions. I think tackles wise we definitely have the weight up front. Also we have essentially recruited three inside linebacker spots, that now becomes two. There is a Crusader position which is a DB hybrid, safety was a position that lacked depth last season. It will be interesting to see where players find their new homes in this defense.
I'll have to look at how Dayton lined up on the edge. I'd guess Turner wouldn't have too much of an issue at Mike and same with Petrie at Will. I suggested Scarsella as the rover player mainly because I thought he might grow into a linebacker at some point anyway but as you pointed out previously, whoever it is really has to be able to tackle in the box.

IndyValpo

Interesting group of coaches. Happy to see it come together. Cecchini had 9 total coaches we currently have 8 plus the 3 interns. Perhaps another is coming. We filled the strength coordinator position!!

Good to see one holdover for continuity.

Bucar is an interesting pick up. His history has been working for Matt Canada who I thought did a good job holding Maryland together last year. He will ultimately find a job so this one may be temporary.

VULB#62

Limbach appears to be seasoned (that's a very good thing) and having OC gigs at multiple stops tells me he has grown into the job and has steadily improved the level at which he was a F/T position coach. It will be interesting to see how the O is like (or unlike) what we've seen here in the past. Generally, in the coaching community, jobs are oftentimes filled through the connections coaches have with each other. My curiosity is getting the better of me and I wonder what the connects are between Fox and Limbach, if any. And thanks for all the digging, 16.

JD24

quick look at what I could find online of Dayton's defense the last few years show 4 DL with hand in dirt with the DEs responsible for setting the edge while also getting to the passer. IOW typical of a 4 man front. Valpo has a number of DLmen returning who've played a fair amount of time but in a 3 man front likely had more responsibility in run stopping and occupying the OL so the OL couldn't get to the second level and the LBers. So I'd think these guys would be perhaps a bit bigger and more anchor guys than get up field guys.

With only two LBers on the field most of the time, this hurts guys such as Skarecky and Messler as I assume Petrie and Turner would be the guys out there the most and the first two I mention don't appear to be candidates to move up a level.

valpofb16 can always chime in here but, in watching what will be the Crusader position, I don't see Petrie as the ideal fit as the hybrid is SS/OLB and there are deep coverage responsibilities which is a whole new world to guys who've played LBer during their careers. Typically guys who are good at the hybrid spot start as Safeties and move forward. I believe Brian Urlacher and Zach Thomas fall into this category as does Derrick Brooks.

NWIGuy

Petrie was our best pass rusher from his OLB position last year. Very rarely saw him drop into coverage. Seems like a natural to convert him to a DE. Messler & Turner will play ILB is my guess.

VULB#62

Not really knowing Fox's D, I am just sitting back and waiting. I am giving EKU an easy win and the battle of the new HCs will be interesting when we meet CCSU. But to me the Truman State game will be a barometer. If we stop their running attack, which we could not do in 18, it will prove to me that there has been a positive change in how we defend our house.

valpofb16

JD24 agreed to your point Fox plays four traditional dlinemen across the board, its not inconceivable that we start Olojo-Goebel-Gedrys-Reed, i think they are used to swallow up linemen and let backers shoot. Inside LB is a rough spot because there are 5 quality candidates (Petrie, Turner, Twigg, Skareky, Messler) for two spots. I believe Petrie will man one of the spots the other is anyone's guess. I agree with you on the downfield coverage philosophy. I think Booker would be great at the CR position however that leaves us thin out back. Scarsella could be a make shift option. Looking at incoming recruits Evan Annis and Cam Brown's highlight films they appear to be tailor made for this positions. Also look for McKeag or Poloskey here

NWIGuy Petrie definitely was our best blitzing backer but transitioning into a down linemen would be tough. Small frame makes it hard to create separation off of LOS. Also if lined up on strong side tackle-tight end double teams could be a major issue.

VULB i agree in a sense. If we get beat in the 20-40 pt range by EKU it means we showed up and competed. If the scores get to 50-60-70(gulp) we were ill prepared. Truman St. is an absolute must win heading into Dayton, Drake, San Diego

IndyValpo

Might be time to get Moore and Smith off the coaches page..
Named fixed thanks 62

VULB#62

JD24

Now that the old coaches are gone, can we get the new guys introduced and up on the website? Is getting their formal bios put together holding this up or is there some other more nefarious>:( aura at work.

Brandon

Quote from: JD24 on March 19, 2019, 05:22:24 PMIs getting their formal bios put together holding this up or is there some other more nefarious

The question on the delay of announcements comes up a lot here and elsewhere when we have staff additions. It's neither of those - nothing out of the ordinary is  taking place, but it's not just me not getting around to writing the story either in most cases. There are a number of i's that have to be dotted and t's that have to be crossed before we can officially announce staff additions and that process can take a few days. Staff announcements are on the way in the coming days.

JD24

Thanks Brandon. Can always count on you.