• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Staff

Started by IndyValpo, March 05, 2019, 10:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

I know Brandon has a lot on his plate i believe he is SID for Baseball, Football, and Softball if my memory serves me correct.

One thing I would love is a spring roster. Even if it is not posted on website a PDF on the spring game preview would be great. I believe they hand them out at the game so there would be a file. Not sure the ins and outs in linking it to a web URL

JD24

Brandon's already addressed the issue and it isn't apparently a hold up with how much the SID has on his plate.

The spring roster has never, to my knowledge or recollection, been published online. For some reason I've always believed this to be intentional although what is being avoided I'm not sure. Maybe spring football not being an official sport drags in privacy laws? I don't know.

valpofb16

JD never said that was the hold up. Just said Brandon does a lot of stuff for the University. More of an appreciation post if you will as I know Brandon personally.

Thanks

It appears they posted the roster in 2015 which is interesting as I believe that was the lowest total players to play in a spring to my knowledge since 2012. Lots of new faces the next fall! (55 I believe)

Minor update: the only three freshman OL remaining are Russell, Byrd. and Drs I believe that leaves 10 on the roster with 4 incoming.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 20, 2019, 11:26:49 AM

Minor update: the only three freshman OL remaining are Russell, Byrd. and Drs I believe that leaves 10 on the roster with 4 incoming.
Ouch

Brandon

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 20, 2019, 09:55:05 AMOne thing I would love is a spring roster.

I'll check into it and see what we can do as far as a roster published online in advance of the spring game.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 20, 2019, 11:26:49 AMJD never said that was the hold up. Just said Brandon does a lot of stuff for the University. More of an appreciation post if you will as I know Brandon personally. Thanks It appears they posted the roster in 2015 which is interesting as I believe that was the lowest total players to play in a spring to my knowledge since 2012. Lots of new faces the next fall! (55 I believe) Minor update: the only three freshman OL remaining are Russell, Byrd. and Drs I believe that leaves 10 on the roster with 4 incoming.
Assuming I counted correctly that means 5 defections.

crusader05

First announcement is up

http://valpoathletics.com/football/news/2018-19/18963/alex-curtis-named-valpo-football-strength-and-conditioning-coach/

I like how they include some quotes from others who have worked with the coach.

valpofb16

Crusader05 nailed it!

Brandon great write ups, I also like the new headshots coming in with the coaches to give the website a uniform approach. '

This is Valpo's first full time football strength and conditioning coach. It went from Bob Brooks, to an intern (sadly I forget his name), to Stovall, then Rouse. All had separate responsibilities. I am excited to see the results.

crusader05

Also, I'm interested in if the strategy really is to find the up-coming talent via a network and mine it for all it's worth. Especially if you know you're not gonna be able to lure the big guns. Fine the young ones people are excited about and give them real opportunity. You need to have a good eye for it and good references in the coaching world but it can be done for sure!

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on March 16, 2019, 08:59:48 AM
The S&C position posting leaves me thinking that salary will not be an attraction unless that posting left out some things which were part of the package.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2018-19/18963/alex-curtis-named-valpo-football-strength-and-conditioning-coach/

I can't see a guy with his resume coming on board for what the posting listed as a F/T salary (Under $30K if I recall).  So there had to be some upward adjustment.  Glad he is on board.  The article also emphasizes Fox priorities.  We were getting stronger as a team uneder DC, but Rouse probabaly was not nearly as qualified as Curtis.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 21, 2019, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: JD24 on March 16, 2019, 08:59:48 AMThe S&C position posting leaves me thinking that salary will not be an attraction unless that posting left out some things which were part of the package.
http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2018-19/18963/alex-curtis-named-valpo-football-strength-and-conditioning-coach/ I can't see a guy with his resume coming on board for what the posting listed as a F/T salary (Under $30K if I recall).  So there had to be some upward adjustment.  Glad he is on board.  The article also emphasizes Fox priorities.  We were getting stronger as a team uneder DC, but Rouse probabaly was not nearly as qualified as Curtis.
Not sure why Rouse wouldn't be considered as qualified as Curtis particularly the not nearly part. An equally pertinent argument can be made in the other direction. However, in the interest of optimism, I guess all the new guys have to be better than the old guys.

VULB#62

One clue is the respective Valpo FB bios (which we no longer have for Rouse) and the second is job description. I believe, repeat believe, that Tony was hired to coach the DL and was given a second task, S&C. His resume covered both in order to justify the dual roles. Pretty much like Vinny G, who was OL/ Recruiting Coordinator. Curtis' resume is laser pointed at S&C. All of his previous positions reflected just that at some pretty sizable schools. Curtis was precisely hired only for S&C with no published secondary responsibilities. That's my rationale for inferring that Curtis is better qualified for the S&C position. Regardless, I'm glad we have a F/T S&C guy on the staff.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 21, 2019, 09:37:38 PMOne clue is the respective Valpo FB bios (which we no longer have for Rouse) and the second is job description. I believe, repeat believe, that Tony was hired to coach the DL and was given a second task, S&C. His resume covered both in order to justify the dual roles. Pretty much like Vinny G, who was OL/ Recruiting Coordinator. Curtis' resume is laser pointed at S&C. All of his previous positions reflected just that at some pretty sizable schools. Curtis was precisely hired only for S&C with no published secondary responsibilities. That's my rationale for inferring that Curtis is better qualified for the S&C position. Regardless, I'm glad we have a F/T S&C guy on the staff.
Rouse background was/is very similar to Curtis. http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/staff/7548/tony-rouse/
If the decision was made to make the S&C guy fulltime this time that has nothing to do with the qualifications of either coach.

IndyValpo

Per their Twitter
Limbach is OC
Bucar is Asst HC
Robinson is SC

As well as their previous position assignments

JD24

Is Dougherty definitely the DC? His twitter page still says assistant.

valpofb16

Dougherty 100% d-coordinator by label

NWIGuy

Seems like Fox has a assembled a very solid young staff. I get that it's still very early, but feels like this group is about as good as can be expected with most having the kind of resume you'd expect at this level. Best move IMHO was deciding to make the S&C a full-time position with no other responsibilities. Will be interesting to see if that draws more of the team to find a way to stay in Valpo for the summer and train together. That could also lead to some player-run OTAs.

Spring Practice #1 is tomorrow...

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on April 10, 2019, 08:48:38 PM
Article on the three remaining coaches not formally introduced.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2018-19/19029/valpo-football-completes-coaching-staff-with-three-additions/

More Ohio connections!  I grew up there.  There are PLENTY of talented football players.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

There is a pattern emerging here if I am not mistaken.  ;D . Fox is hiring guys, from top to bottom, who have winning football in their DNA. That's a great starting base. But their backgrounds are diverse. So just as important is how Coach Fox pulls all these winning guys into a cohesive coaching team in a very limited time frame in order to get us ready for the 2019 season.

The other burden on all these guys is finding replacements for kids leaving the program as well as bringing the 2019 class numbers up before the end of the school year. I like that they are looking at JUCO players as an interim solution. 

But whoever they bring in, they have another challenge - rapid evaluation and  assimilatation prior to EKU.

Best wishes, Coach Fox.

BTW, when was the last time that Valpo Football had 12 coaches on staff?  This sure looks like additional commitment by the AD.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 10, 2019, 10:18:56 PMThere is a pattern emerging here if I am not mistaken.  ;D . Fox is hiring guys, from top to bottom, who have winning football in their DNA. That's a great starting base. But their backgrounds are diverse. So just as important is how Coach Fox pulls all these winning guys into a cohesive coaching team in a very limited time frame in order to get us ready for the 2019 season. The other burden on all these guys is finding replacements for kids leaving the program as well as bringing the 2019 class numbers up before the end of the school year. I like that they are looking at JUCO players as an interim solution. But whoever they bring in, they have another challenge - rapid evaluation and  assimilatation prior to EKU. Best wishes, Coach Fox. BTW, when was the last time that Valpo Football had 12 coaches on staff?  This sure looks like additional commitment by the AD.
The last three are unpaid interns IIRC.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on April 11, 2019, 08:56:35 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 10, 2019, 10:18:56 PMThere is a pattern emerging here if I am not mistaken.  ;D . Fox is hiring guys, from top to bottom, who have winning football in their DNA. That's a great starting base. But their backgrounds are diverse. So just as important is how Coach Fox pulls all these winning guys into a cohesive coaching team in a very limited time frame in order to get us ready for the 2019 season. The other burden on all these guys is finding replacements for kids leaving the program as well as bringing the 2019 class numbers up before the end of the school year. I like that they are looking at JUCO players as an interim solution. But whoever they bring in, they have another challenge - rapid evaluation and  assimilatation prior to EKU. Best wishes, Coach Fox. BTW, when was the last time that Valpo Football had 12 coaches on staff?  This sure looks like additional commitment by the AD.
The last three are unpaid interns IIRC.

Whatever. I have never seen 12 pics on the FB coaches page at Valpo. Ever.

Many programs go with "grad assistants" to fill niche coaching slots and list them as such. Those guys get grad tuition and a stipend as their remuneration.  However, Valpo lists them as coaches, period.  ???

BTW, if, indeed, they are unpaid interns (from outside the NWI region to boot), I assume the program has reserved prime space under a nearby underpass and has leased suitable packing crates for lodging. Also, one of the great benefits of the economy these days is that McDonald's is offering flex hours that would easily accommodate their football responsibilities.  ::)  ;)