• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 10, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
Golder may have found a landing spot closer to his Portland home.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1127033500736065536
Washington State has 6 or 7 transfers this off season I believe

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 10, 2019, 08:26:12 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2019, 02:08:23 PM
I hope it doesn't come to this....but when I'm correct I will be coming after Valpo64 and a couple others.  You have lost any credibility you may have had when it comes to college hoops and this program.

Mick, regardless of how you mean this, there is no place for this kind of dialog on this board. Please rethink.

I'd not take it too seriously, he's a passionate guy that only means he plans on gloating if he's (for once) found correct.  Trust me, when we went to VU he mostly ate crow 🤷🏻‍♂️

valpotx

Geez, that would be a bad move for Marcus, to go somewhere for his last season, where he is thought of as the 8th/9th guy, and more of an energy guy. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on May 11, 2019, 04:24:25 AMGeez, that would be a bad move for Marcus, to go somewhere for his last season, where he is thought of as the 8th/9th guy, and more of an energy guy.
Yeah. I thought that kind of strange as well.

Just Sayin

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2019, 02:08:23 PM
I hope it doesn't come to this....but when I'm correct I will be coming after Valpo64 and a couple others.  You have lost any credibility you may have had when it comes to college hoops and this program.

Mick, regardless of how you mean this, there is no place for this kind of dialog on this board. Please rethink.

Oh grow up and cut the PC nonsense. smdh

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 11, 2019, 09:50:21 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2019, 02:08:23 PMI hope it doesn't come to this....but when I'm correct I will be coming after Valpo64 and a couple others.  You have lost any credibility you may have had when it comes to college hoops and this program.
I think the need for a poster to grow up here is misplaced since it belongs with mr toughguy poster.
"I'm coming after you!"  ::)
Ok pal. You do that. We're all waiting for it.

Just Sayin

Quote from: JD24 on May 11, 2019, 10:47:40 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 10, 2019, 02:08:23 PMI hope it doesn't come to this....but when I'm correct I will be coming after Valpo64 and a couple others.  You have lost any credibility you may have had when it comes to college hoops and this program.
I think the need for a poster to grow up here is misplaced since it belongs with mr toughguy poster.

Like I said. PC crap. We all knew what he meant.
::)

oklahomamick

Maybe I should have said

"I'm not going to forget about it when I'm right and you are wrong....."

Or

"I'm going to call you out"

First I doubt I can beat anyone up.  Secondly I'm not going to do it over a difference of opinion (even though I'm right and time will tell).

I will go back and delete if it makes you feel better.

When Lottich leaves valpo its not going to because he took a big contract at p5 like our last two coaches.  You keep believing and when the day comes that his contract has expired (and we try to rebuild like southern Illinois) I will be coming after you I mean call you out that you were wrong. 

CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: JD24 on May 11, 2019, 10:47:40 AM

I'm not sure what's more annoying, the ingrown nose hair in my left nostril or the lack of substantive topics on this forum during the off-season.

JD24

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 11, 2019, 12:36:50 PMMaybe I should have said "I'm not going to forget about it when I'm right and you are wrong....." Or "I'm going to call you out" First I doubt I can beat anyone up.  Secondly I'm not going to do it over a difference of opinion (even though I'm right and time will tell). I will go back and delete if it makes you feel better. When Lottich leaves valpo is not going to because he took a big contract at p5 like our last two coaches.  You keep believing and when the day comes that his contract has expired (and we try to rebuild like southern Illinois) I will be coming after you I mean call you out that you were wrong.
We' shakin'. We're shakin'. ;D

GoldenCrusader87

Ya - I checked the message board to see if there's any updates on transfers. Haven't been on in awhile. But, alas - haven't missed a beat. Those who question Matt as the leader of this team at this time - are still roasted and ridiculed.

wh

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on May 12, 2019, 08:46:12 AM
Ya - I checked the message board to see if there's any updates on transfers. Haven't been on in awhile. But, alas - haven't missed a beat. Those who question Matt as the leader of this team at this time - are still roasted and ridiculed.

"Victim playing (also known as playing the victim, victim card, or self-victimization) is the fabrication of victimhood for a variety of reasons such as to justify abuse of others, to manipulate others, a coping strategy, or attention seeking." 

There are no victims here. When players started to announce they were leaving, and the list continued to grow, there were those who immediately called for heads to roll. That's was their opinion and that was fine. Unfortunately, some didn't stop there. They had to belittle anyone who disagreed, saying they obviously didn't care about winning, they needed to personally call out LaBarbara and Lottich, call for their resignation, etc., etc. Then the tables began to turn. It became obvious that Matt was fully prepared for an exodus and had been actively recruiting new players, which he subsequently signed. Things were beginning to look up. Suddenly out of the blue, Javon reverses course and we start talking about being 1 big man away from possibly competing for a conference championship. Now it was the former group of Matt supporters turn to crow a little. And suddenly, the former Matt haters are all offended?  If you want to call people out (I've done my share over the year), expect to be called out. People have long memories when you make it personal. Hey, I've had guys dig up posts I wrote 2 years earlier and smack me around with them. I just try to give them their due and laugh it off. Don't be so dramatic.   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on May 12, 2019, 10:16:18 AM

"Victim playing (also known as playing the victim, victim card, or self-victimization) is the fabrication of victimhood for a variety of reasons such as to justify abuse of others, to manipulate others, a coping strategy, or attention seeking." 

There are no victims here. When players started to announce they were leaving, and the list continued to grow, there were those who immediately called for heads to roll. That's was their opinion and that was fine. Unfortunately, some didn't stop there. They had to belittle anyone who disagreed, saying they obviously didn't care about winning, they needed to personally call out LaBarbara and Lottich, call for their resignation, etc., etc. Then the tables began to turn. It became obvious that Matt was fully prepared for an exodus and had been actively recruiting new players, which he subsequently signed. Things were beginning to look up. Suddenly out of the blue, Javon reverses course and we start talking about being 1 big man away from possibly competing for a conference championship. Now it was the former group of Matt supporters turn to crow a little. And suddenly, the former Matt haters are all offended?  If you want to call people out (I've done my share over the year), expect to be called out. People have long memories when you make it personal. Hey, I've had guys dig up posts I wrote 2 years earlier and smack me around with them. I just try to give them their due and laugh it off. Don't be so dramatic.

I'm still on the fence with this current coaching staff.  On paper they can recruit, in real world "wins" matter....so that's a big TBD.

Just so guys like Golden and Oklahoma are aware, others too are dissatisfied.  Truthfully their craziness in posting takes the brunt of the glass "permanently" half full types and guys like me can just smile in the background.

For what it's worth, the middle ground is only established once the outer limits are tested and found too extreme.  I'd not silence them, after all this is a forum to post opinions sprinkled in with some facts.

P.S.  My weakness and where I'm unrelenting is with those that ignore reality in favor of eternal optimism.  That's my weakness and unfortunately I can be a bit harsh with those types (as witnessed in the past and probably again in the future).

Let's keep sprinkling in some facts each week to get some of us through the lack of "watchable" summer sports!!!

vu72

I'm wondering if there is another signing or if it is getting too late. I looked back and saw that Eron was signed on May 18 so I guess we still have waiting to do.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

I hope the naysayers (myself included right now) are completely wrong and the tables turn for this team. I'd love to see a complete turn around and successful 2019-2020. If so, I will welcome getting roasted and called out for being completely wrong. However, at this point, the naysayers have been more right than wrong.

VUBBFan

Quote from: vu72 on May 12, 2019, 12:03:53 PMI'm wondering if there is another signing or if it is getting too late. I looked back and saw that Eron was signed on May 18 so I guess we still have waiting to do.
When your anticipating something, time seems to go so slowly. Last year we didn't fill our last two spots until July. Robinson 7/9 and Lavender 7/18. So I guess it's not too late
Sometimes you just got to be patient. I for one, am going crazy waiting for the last puzzle piece to fall so we know what we got  for next year. :coffeetime:

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 12, 2019, 12:19:13 PM

Quote from: vu72 on May 12, 2019, 12:03:53 PMI'm wondering if there is another signing or if it is getting too late. I looked back and saw that Eron was signed on May 18 so I guess we still have waiting to do.
When your anticipating something, time seems to go so slowly. Last year we didn't fill our last two spots until July. Robinson 7/9 and Lavender 7/18. So I guess it's not too late
Sometimes you just got to be patient. I for one, am going crazy waiting for the last puzzle piece to fall so we know what we got  for next year. :coffeetime:

Agreed VUBBFan. I feel like this has been somewhat of a strange year for the transfer market. A lot of coaching staffs were waiting to make offers to kids till they could see if the NCAA was going to pass the new grad-transfer rule, which would have impacted their long-term roster construction plans (even if they wouldn't have went into affect this offseason).

I think there are plenty of interesting unsigned transfers on the market. I think the staff is being very particular with that last scholarship. There are dozens of kids still entering the transfer portal.

vu84v2

A little Taoist philosophy (and I studied Taoism briefly at Valpo!):

A Chinese farmer gets a horse, which soon runs away. A neighbor says, "That's bad news." The farmer replies, "Good news, bad news, who can say?"

The horse comes back and brings another horse with him. Good news, you might say.
The farmer gives the second horse to his son, who rides it, then is thrown and badly breaks his leg.

"So sorry for your bad news," says the concerned neighbor. "Good news, bad news, who can say?" the farmer replies.

In a week or so, the emperor's men come and take every able-bodied young man to fight in a war. The farmer's son is spared.

Good news, of course.
----------------------------------------------
I made initial comments about the massive turnover being indicative of major problems in the program and that the degree of turnover indicates poor performance by the senior person. This, of course, is a generalization and there are exceptions. I can see possible good news or bad news about the number of players that signed, though I do see Freeman coming back as a positive indicator. None of these new players really seemed to be well known which could be a negative indicator, but (of course) there have been great finds of unknown talent and hidden potential by many teams over the years.

Whether all of this is good news or bad news ...  who can say right now?

VU2014

What does this say about the Coaching staffs trust level in their young PGs Sackey and Siggy? I'm not as concerned about the level of where the kid is coming from but instead that the coaches feel the need to have 3 PGs on one roster next season. Maybe they don't trust the youth. The coaches know this roster better than any of us but it just seems a little odd to me. Maybe they have more faith in the frontcourt than most of us do.

That last scholarship is still sitting out there.

https://twitter.com/mymshowcase/status/1128464951037788161?s=21

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on May 15, 2019, 06:54:44 PM
What does this say about the Coaching staffs trust level in their young PGs Sackey and Siggy? I'm not as concerned about the level of where the kid is coming from but instead that the coaches feel the need to have 3 PGs on one roster next season. Maybe they don't trust the youth. The coaches know this roster better than any of us but it just seems a little odd to me. Maybe they have more faith in the frontcourt than most of us do.

That last scholarship is still sitting out there.

https://twitter.com/mymshowcase/status/1128464951037788161?s=21

It sounds like he just committed to a JUCO for next season, so he wouldn't be on Valpo's roster until the following season.

bbtds

As they should be. It's the same argument and Matt has been legitimized more by one possible transfer staying put and some recruiting finds. When the pendulum swings the other way and your argument is the same you expose yourself to more criticism.

VU2014

One of my favorite student-athletes in a long time. Exciting, a great kid and played his heart out every time.

Sad to see him go but I'm rooting for him.

https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1129007483706576897?s=21
https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1129053101313413120?s=21

ValpoDad89

I am sad to see Markus go as well but we have transfers eligible and in place to pick up the slack.

As far as PG is concerned, it is the most paramount position in today's college game. I know that the NBA has influenced "fluid" positioning but college is still a bit different. Different clock, both time and shot, halves instead of quarters which make it a "shorter" game, playing teams with different styles (I.e. UNC versus Virginia). PG excellence, especially those that can distribute, create and shoot present mismatches and set tempo for the offense. They are the firsthand line of attack after a shot to stop ball. To me, every good program needs at least 3 as they expend a TON of energy. Now it's up to Matt to equate minutes but if you have 3 that are competent, or in the very least competent in some of the 3 disciplines (shooting, distributing and / or defense) you utilize those resources.

ValpoDad89

And Mick, while it pains me to say this as they are a fellow MVC member, SIU will be back under Mullins. Stud when he played there which means he has some leniency from a fan / admin POV. Assistant HC (and lead recruiter) to a FF team less than 2 years ago and his father runs the Illinois Wolves AAU Program which has increased their Talent muscle in the last few years especially. He will have that program back in short order. But isn't that good for all???

#YouwannaBeTheBestBEATTheBest

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2019, 06:09:21 PM
One of my favorite student-athletes in a long time. Exciting, a great kid and played his heart out every time.

Sad to see him go but I'm rooting for him.

https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1129007483706576897?s=21
https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1129053101313413120?s=21

Gone because he's accepted a scholarship elsewhere?

OR

Gone because we aren't allowing him back? (Don't think it's this one, but I'm unsure)